20th Anniversary of the Death of Diana, Princess of Wales: August 31, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I doubt if he "blithely" or "happily" agreed to do anything so painful.... but he may not have realised, when he agreed to do it, just exactly what it entailed. IN fact I'm sure he didn't, and he found it very upsetting when he was doig it.
I give in. :bang: When one is wilfully determined to skew a post to suit their point of view it becomes evident that denial ain't just a river in Egypt. :whistling:

Neither William nor Harry referred to any problems around their attending the funeral or walking in it in their tribute to their mother. That's what comes IMO of commenting on something you haven't seen.

In all fairness Harry has said something very recently about that and he was not positive about it either.
LaRae

Wasn't that in the documentary as well? His comments about walking behind the coffin is the main thing I see as being used to stir up old wounds which gives support to Denville's opinion. As soon as I heard him say that I knew there would be controversy.

I take it you're being sarcastic so I wont respond.
I'm sorry you misunderstood but I was being completely genuine in my question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps I should have said "blithely". We are also talking about a boy who did not yet understand the depths of grief, a child . . . yes, but a true "innocent". The same innocent who lobbied hard and didn't really understand the reasons why he was told he could not accompany his father to France to bring his mother home. That is why I believe he said: "a child should never be asked to do that".

To put it simply, he did not understand at all what he was going to do except walk with his dad who also didn't know what to expect. Harry has spent the best part of twenty years trying to reconcile himself to the consequences. Tony Blair et al did not know if William would accompany them until the day of the funeral.

Prince Philip had not planned to walk but he said he would (I'm guessing) to support William whom (I believe) would not leave Harry to walk without him. That this was a unique occasion is emphasised by their joining the rest of the family to walk behind the Queen Mother's gun carriage.

I agree with you.

Furthermore I find it unfortunate to point the funeral issue out in public, stirring up negativity. The situation was unique back then, Harry was a child - without a feeling for grief, never took his own decisions or had any life experience - and not the adult he is now.
There is no point looking back since I do not believe - and nobody indicated - that Harry was forced to walk. It seemed the best thing to do back then and one should leave it at that.
I am sure had he not walked, he would regret it as well, not having gone the last way with his mother. He is a Prince of UK, all eyes would have been on him anyway. Yes he was a child, millions of children walk behind the coffins of their parents but not under the watchful eyes of the world population but sorry, it may sound brutal but it comes with the job, even for a child, as so many other things come with the job, like supermodels waiting for you at home as a lunch surprise.
Hopefully the brothers will be quiet now and not do the same public thing again in 5 years.

You are not consequent. As long as you do not go for a democratically elected head of state, you are as every bit as archaïc as me, Madam.

I do "go for" a democratically elected head of state.
Edit: after some time I decided to edit my post because I felt it was too combative.

All I will say is in 2017 the idea of good breeding and good blood is extremely out of date.

Last edited:
Hopefully the brothers will be quiet now and not do the same public thing again in 5 years.

I PRAY you are right, but think it unlikely..the self affirmation it seems to give is 'habit forming' as their Mother found to her cost...

They've said they aren't speaking again about it in public.

LaRae

That's not my impression.. I thougt that Harry and Will had said that they were not happy about walking in the funeral and felt that it should not have been asked of them.. at least that harry certainly said that.

Harry said something about it in a different interview, not in the documentary. And he has a right to say what he feels about something he experienced.

Last edited:
Rosa Monckton, a friend of the princess, told the Guardian newspaper that the tapes should not be shown and instead be handed to Princess Diana's sons Prince Harry and Prince William.....

I'm with her on this one.

LaRae

. . . . . All I will say is in 2017 the idea of good breeding and good blood is extremely out of date.
Quite right! However, good manners are never out of date.

Harry said something about it in a different interview, not in the documentary. And he has a right to say what he feels about something he experienced.

yes of course he does, and then others are free to put their own interpretation on what he said... and to criticise him if they wish.

I give in. :bang: When one is wilfully determined to skew a post to suit their point of view it becomes evident that denial ain't just a river in Egypt. :whistling:

you really think that a child would be "blithe" or "happy" at the idea of walking in his mother's funeral procession?

They always get it wrong about the horses...she was not afraid of horses she broke her arm as a kid on her pony and that made her nervous about riding again, that doesn't mean she was afraid of them.

LaRae

WEll perhaps not afraid of horses per se but she was certainly afraid of riding them. So it is in essence not enjoying a sport that most royals enjoy.

Yes she was fearful of riding ...which is not the same thing as fearing horses. It is a distinction often gotten wrong. Sloppy writing/reporting.

LaRae

Watched the second part of the program today. Tears just filled my eyes and my thoughts and prayers went to Diana and her families.

20 years on, her death still get to me.

Me too, Dman. Life sometimes seems so very unfair. Diana still has the power to move even though she's been dead for two decades.

Me too, Dman. Life sometimes seems so very unfair. Diana still has the power to move even though she's been dead for two decades.

I agree completely! The world lost many great and inspirational people. Diana was one of them. The emotions from Wayne Sleep and Robert Lacey got to me too.

20 years, my God!

The Queen's letter to a Lady-in-waiting on Diana's death. Very touching and true.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4783554/Queen-s-anguished-letter-lays-bare-pain-Diana.html

Last edited:
So true, Dman. And in this letter (btw I do disapprove of this sort of thing being sold by relatives) the Queen acknowledges Diana's inspirational influence, even after death. That it's been twenty years is indeed hard to believe.

Last edited:
Princess Diana: French not planning to commemorate 20th anniversary | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Why on Earth would they ? She was merely a visitor in their Capital, held no position in their Country and wasn't either a native or resident.

:lol::lol::lol:
Is that a joke, right ?

Anyway i reassure the Diana fans all around : the French TV is absolutely packed with Diana related programs ...

well they might have TV programmes but I can't see why they would "Commemorate" which suggests some kind of event or religious service.

Quite tragically no documentary maker has covered Princess Diana's colonic irrigation stats. Perhaps they should, in this ALL important 20th anniversary year ?

The lists of people that Diana touched is endless. People she met and didn't get a chance to meet were inspired by her and cherish her everlasting memory.

I've had the dubious honor of being driven through that tunnel when I visited Paris. If the driver is drunk and behaving like an idiot, those pillars WILL kill you. :nonono:

Back
Top Bottom