The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-28-2017, 12:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yes, George and Charlotte will be at the service.

I think they just wanted to announce that this private service will take place with the whole family in attendance.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-28-2017, 12:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Yeps... publicly announced. I still wish it hadn't been though.

With a family gathering like this, I doubt it'd be a two hour in and out kind of thing but it would be nice to make a day of it. The kids being at the grave site service probably will never be known but that is at the discretion of their parents.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:24 PM
Nobility

seriously people on the internet are ridiculous...complain about EVERYTHING..complain if they announce and are ahead of the story and complain if they don't and that they are being secretive...

people need to chill..i feel bad for these royals because someone is always bitching about everything they do...they can never do anything right in some peoples eyes.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:30 PM
Commoner

I think it's good that they're including the kids in this occasion. They might be too young to really understand the impact and why it's so important but she's a part of their legacy, and I'm sure W&K speak of her to them. It'll be a good memory to have.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:35 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
If its private, why announce it?

And I hope that they are not taking the children to the graveside - a 2 and 4 yr old?

But understand the reason for the event and it will be good for the children to spend time with Spencer relatives.
Even worse, George is still 3.

I also have no idea why they would make a press release about it when it's a private event with no media invited. I cannot stand their press team. It's constant mixed messages in regards to privacy. At best it makes the trio look fickle.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Althorpe announced it was closed on July 1. Many people probably would have visited on the first since it's a weekend and Diana's birthday. You don't want a bunch of people showing up at the estate and then they can't get in because it wasn't announced beforehand.

I don't see what wrong with the kids going. It most likely be a brief service at the grave. The kids probably already had the Daddy's Mummy is in heaven discussion.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:41 PM
Majesty

Imagine the reaction of the press if they didn't announce it and then a month later it leaked to the DM or Sun? All hell would break loose.

Or if Diana's birthday came and went and the press thought there was nothing to mark it. KP would be accused of being callous.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yeah they can't win. They've made it clear it's a private/family thing...but I would question if they could really 'sneak' in and out of Althorp on that day of the year without the press finding out.

Better to let it be known and move on in this situation.

LaRae
Old 06-28-2017, 01:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Althorpe announced it was closed on July 1. Many people probably would have visited on the first since it's a weekend and Diana's birthday. You don't want a bunch of people showing up at the estate and then they can't get in because it wasn't announced beforehand.

I don't see what wrong with the kids going. It most likely be a brief service at the grave. The kids probably already had the Daddy's Mummy is in heaven discussion.
There we have it folks. The voice of reason.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:22 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

That's fine, the Spencer's solved the potential problem you described. And it makes KP butting in even more unnecessary then.

I really hope BP and CH never take media advice from KP. Let the latter flounder in it's own incompetence.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Peter Hunt from the BBC tweeted why they announced it - its the 20 anniversary of Diana's death and it would be hard to keep it a secret. We see the same thing when a royal goes in to a hospital. They announce it because it's going to come out.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:06 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Peter Hunt from the BBC tweeted why they announced it - its the 20 anniversary of Diana's death and it would be hard to keep it a secret. We see the same thing when a royal goes in to a hospital. They announce it because it's going to come out.
Of course they tweet about a royal going to a hospital. It's a member of the BRF and it will likely have implications with their upcoming scheduled events. Diana was no longer a royal and she's been dead for 20 years, and this has no impact on any official events. There is no comparison.

All this press release did was incite a media circus, under the feigned guise of privacy.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

PRINCESS DIANA’S RESTING PLACE TO BE ENHANCED BY HER BROTHER EARL SPENCER, WITH COMPLETION IN TIME FOR 20TH ANNIVERSARY OF HER DEATH - Althorp Estate

The Oval Lake where Diana, Princess of Wales, was laid to rest on September 6, 1997, is undergoing an extensive redesign to honour her memory. It will be completed in time for the 20th anniversary of her death, in August 2017.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Oh, thank heaven for that!!

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 06-28-2017, 03:01 PM
Majesty

I think the service of re-dedication is a wonderful idea, and I'm glad the Archbishop of Canterbury is going to preside. Lovely that George and Charlotte will see where their grandmother lies, and be at Althorp with their parents and Uncle Harry and Diana's siblings and family. They've probably been told several stories about their wonderful grandmother already, and it's awful that they'll never meet her in the flesh.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Hopefully the drone cameras can be kept far away too.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:12 PM
Majesty

You'll notice it's not the local parish priest performing the service but the Archbishop of Canterbury. This tells us it was approved at the highest level.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:17 PM
Heir Apparent

I love that they are doing this as I think everyone should be free to remember love ones however they want and I like they are involving the children (though personally I wouldn't take them to a grave - that said I think Diana's grave is more of a temple and a wild meadow rather than what we may think of).
Personally I feel uncomfortable they announced it ahead of time, they could IMO have announced it either sat morning or after the event but maybe there was a more pressing reason to announce it we aren't aware of.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
You'll notice it's not the local parish priest performing the service but the Archbishop of Canterbury. This tells us it was approved at the highest level.
I agree. Very nice to know the AC will be conduct the service. I'm sure both families appreciates The Queen's approval

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-28-2017, 05:08 PM
Courtier

Not announcing before hand would have been a horrible move on their part. The stories the day or two before would have been nothing but things like "Wills and Harry Heartless: Totally Ignoring Mum's Birthday On 20th Anniversary Of Death!"