20th Anniversary of the Death of Diana, Princess of Wales: August 31, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That has to be the most excruciating part of a sudden death. The loss of the chance to have "last words" with each other. To say "I love you" one more time and to be there with a loved one as they pass on.

Y'know, I agree with you. It does no good to publicly refresh the memories of the bad times.

A lot of this documentary apparently concentrates on Diana's impact and her influence on others, re her charity work and clauses. More people are speaking about Diana than her two sons. The DM is just cherry-picking some of the princes' musings and remembrances of their mother. I'm looking forward to it.

I don't know why they want to speak about their mother but surely that as well as silence, is their prerogative?

I SO wish the Princes would stop 'emoting' in Public, as [their Mothers experience proves] NO good will come of it.. Their words will be twisted and used against themselves or others they love..
Bare ones Soul, by all means, to trusted family/friends/therapists but not to 'the wider World' and especially not to the Press...

Last edited:
I am so glad that the Princes have chosen to share some of their special memories about their mother. It's wonderful to finally hear from her children and not just from journalists or others who have no real connection to Diana other than to make a profit using her name.

Why don't people actually wait to watch the documentary before they pass judgment. It's way easy to cherry pick stuff and then the context is lost.

People have emotions and Royals are people. They aren't robots. You would not tell someone who lost a family member in the recent terror attacks or Grenville fire not to show emotions but for a Royal it a no no. Harry gets praised on this site all the time because he shows his emotions and hugs a bunch of people, but he and William can't talk about their late mother?

Did anyone complain when Charles went on tv and emoted about the loss of his Grandmother the QM? Should no royal speak of their emotions when the Queen and Philip pass?

I lost my mother 12 years ago to cancer. I still remember the last thing I said to her in person before I drove the 10 hours back home to my house and then she died two weeks later with me 700 miles away. My brother in law stopped breathing in the middle of the night last April. My sister had to do CPR and call 911. The paramedics got his heart to start but he never woke up and my sister had to end life support. She is super messed up still months later. She is on antidepressants and goes to therapy and had to take a leave of absence from her job. William and Harry telling about their struggles after Diana's death or Kate telling about being unsure as a first time mother lets other people know it's okay to feel the emotions when something happens. They are people and people aren't perfect even royal princes and princesses.

Last edited:
Skippyboo your so right and I have been though the grieving process that never ends it's alway just a breath away. If people don't like it they don't have to watch it It's Will and Harry's choice and everyone else should butt out and mind their own business

I think we are just as entitlted to comment on them when they are public figures as we are on other public figures. how much discussion is there of Harry's romance with Meghan which is mostly culled from the press' brief sightings of them and seems to be an endless "I think they will get married"...
I feel very uncomfortable with the memories that they are choosing to share, presumably about family rows in the past. That's soemthign that they ought to keep private. Even the less contentious memories, are things that can sound odd to an outsider, and are problaby best kept for family and friends..

I think its a very problematic way to think to say to them stop emoting...that is a messed up way to think these days and causes both depression and suicide...so i say be open and share...maybe more men will become like that..

also, they are talking because they want to have the narrative on who she was and be in charge of her legacy and they finally are doing that.

i think diana would have been very proud of both of them!

Noone is stopping them "emoting".. it is "emoting in public" that is problematic and IMO not a good idea for them or for Di's memory.

and mind their own business

Ooh, the IRONY... this 'emoting' is front page news, and lead story on EVERY news broadcast today, and [likely] until this anniversary is over.
It's therefore quite tricky to avoid them 'making it my business'.

No it's simple really you just ignore it nobody holds you down making you read. It's like this forum some threads I read some I don't bother and some posters I block ... perfect

Last edited:
that's true but if they put something into the public domain, then it is open for comment.

When reading their words I certainly was able to connect due being an half-orphan since 14. Sharing your grief can help you on your way to heal.

It's not about is it a good thing or bad thing for them to "emote" in public. They are commemorating the 20th anniversary of their mother's untimely passing by sharing their most precious and heartfelt memories with everyone. No one should be upset with them for that or wishing they would stop talking.

I totally applaud William and Harry for doing this. Telling their true, reflecting on their memories of a mother they loved so dearly. It can't be cast for them to do this guys. Let's not tear them apart for expressing their thoughts and feelings about their mother.

If it is not easy for them, there's no need for them to do it. They could do a programme about her work and life witout going into stuff that is private.. or things that will possibly open old wounds within the family.

I don't think they are going to open others' old wounds in talking about their own, which have needed to be attended to for twenty years. Plus, as far as this doco is concerned, surely it would be best to watch it first before complaining about it?

If it is not easy for them, there's no need for them to do it. They could do a programme about her work and life witout going into stuff that is private.. or things that will possibly open old wounds within the family.

They can talk about their private memories of their mother, Denville. That's their right. No one should be upset about that. They aren't opening old wounds with the family. These are grown men reflecting on the precious memories they had with her. They already reflected on her work during the 10th anniversary in 2007. With the concert and everything.

Also, William and Harry feels like it's time for them to share their stories. For 20 years William and Harry have had to sit and watch the world tear into Diana for fame and profit by writing all kinds of books, movies, tv shows, articles and documentaries about their mother. Some of it has been facts but the majority has been very tarnishing and inaccurate.

Now we're hearing from the two people, along with family and friends, who actually knew her best.

They do have the blessing from their families to do this.

The world may have lost Princess Diana nearly 20 years ago, but Prince William says his late mother was with him on one of the biggest days of his life: the day he wed Princess Kate.

William, 35, speaks candidly about his late mother in the upcoming ITV and HBO documentary, Diana, Our Mother: Her Life and Legacy, in which he reveals he felt Diana’s presence during the 2011 wedding.

“When it came to the wedding, I did really feel that she was there,” he says. “You know, there was times when you look to someone or something for strength and I very much felt she was there for me.”

Read more: Prince William Says He Felt Mom Diana's Presence at His Wedding

What wounds could possibly be opened by 2 men talking about their memories of their beloved mother? Who could possibly be wringing their hands and banging their head because a son chooses to describe how he misses his mother and has fond memories of her?

It's wonderful to have the opportunity to hear from Diana's children!

I SO wish the Princes would stop 'emoting' in Public, as [their Mothers experience proves] NO good will come of it.. Their words will be twisted and used against themselves or others they love..
Bare ones Soul, by all means, to trusted family/friends/therapists but not to 'the wider World' and especially not to the Press...

I agree. Their oversharing has always made me grimace. The only people I've gained respect for with this continuous tell-all is Catherine and Harry's girlfriends. Now I realize how much emotional baggage they've had to take on by dating these Princes (as if the royal fishbowl wasn't bad enough!) , all of it likely to their own detriment.

I won't be able to see the program when it airs, we don't have those channels...but once it hits the online world I'll see it.

If anyone has a right to speak about Diana it's her sons. We've had tell all books from various folks for years...nice to get the other viewpoint. My thoughts are they are speaking out as a way to honor her and perhaps to set some things straight. I doubt we'll see it happen again.

LaRae

The boys have every right to talk about mom. And it is great yo hear stories we haven't.:flowers:

What isn't great is talking about the toxic marriage, the fighting and so on. These aren't personal memories, this is their parents marriage. And they do have one living parent alive who does have feelings. Charles often gets thrown under the bus as the philandering husband. It's sad to see that in an attempt to talk about mom, the boys are doing the shoving. Both Charles and Camilla stand to have some painful memories drawn up once again.

I fully applaud showing old memories, and who Diana was. And I will wait for the documentary to make any final comment. But I don't see the need to bring up the marriage issues. Everyone talks about respecting Diana's memory but 20 years later Charles still is a welcome target sadly.

Everyone in the world who's paid attention KNOWS about the drama with his parents...not talking about it is kinda like ignoring the elephant in the room. I think they are trying to set an example too (their support of mental health care and not internalizing, going and seeking help, talking about problems openly) for others ..look we had problems in our family and we are practicing what we preach. I'm sure they have already talked about all this with their dad first....no way would they try to blindside him or hurt him. Charles is aware of his own actions and shortcomings.

LaRae

those comments on diana and their memories are sweet, yet devastating. the following struck me particularly:
'Among their revelations, the brothers describe how they are haunted by the final phone call Princess Diana made to them from Paris, hours before her death.
The boys cut the conversation short because they were busy playing with their cousins – something that has caused them heartache to this day. 'I have to deal with that for the rest of my life,' Harry now says of the fateful decision.''

don't we all feel a bit like harry, those of us who lost loved ones? those precious last moments and how we wished we did things differently. as if we knew what would come later, we beat ourselves up as to how we reacted. i think many people dealing with bereavement can relate to these words, and it is nice of them to open up - sometimes we just need to hear that other people have those feelings too. since they work with bereaved families, i think this interview is not at all banal.

The toxic marriage stuff is the press not William or Harry. The Princes said that they bounced between parents and never saw enough of either of them. Many kids of divorced parents probably feel like that. Plus they were at boarding school so the time with their parents was holiday and summer breaks.

I don't think they are going to open others' old wounds in talking about their own, which have needed to be attended to for twenty years. Plus, as far as this doco is concerned, surely it would be best to watch it first before complaining about it?

If they are having trauma from Diana's death, still, that is sad, but it is for them to try and heal by talking to each other, to their loved ones and to therapists. Not the whole world.

Back
Top Bottom