Princess Caroline's Alopecia

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tosca

Heir Apparent
City
Somewhere in the middle of the River Po Valley
Country
Italy
I read in an Italian magazine called "Alta Società" (High Society) that Princess Caroline would be suffering from psoriasis. Does anyone know anything more about that?

Ciao,

Tosca

Hi Tosca;

Psoriasis presents itself as red, thickened areas with silvery scales. Most often it appears on the scalp, elbows, knees, and lower back. Some cases of it are so mild that people don't know they even have it while others can scratch their skin raw, to the point of bleeding. Severe psoriasis may cover large areas of the body.

If she had this, wouldn't we have noticed it at the recent royal weddings?

The exact cause of psoriasis is unknown. There is no 'cure' for psoriasis, but there are some drugs, shampoos, and body washes that offer some relief. I'm sure Caroline, if she has it in any form, will have access to the best methods of controlling it.

I have not heard about her suffering with this until you mentioned it.

Bunky

Last edited:
I hadn't heard about it neither. I also think we would have seen it, but who knows...

Years ago Caroline did suffer from a skin problem in which she lost her hair. I don't remember what the name of the condition is but during that time she wore lots of head scarves.

ennyllorac said:
Years ago Caroline did suffer from a skin problem in which she lost her hair. I don't remember what the name of the condition is but during that time she wore lots of head scarves.
I think it is called alopecia.

It is alopecia (hair loss) and her aunt said it was brought on from stress. Psoriasis is another skin condition--more common than people think. Perhaps she is particularly subsceptible to skin problems......

I remember reading a while back that she does have very sensitive skin and she uses a very high dollar cream (DUH!).

I actually know people with both problems. If she has either of these...and they are related to her hair loss...it would be alopecia. Psoriasis doesn't cause anything like that. Most likely she doesn't have Psoriasis because of the revealing outfits she often wears to galas. Most often it shows up on the scalp, and on the elbows and knees and the like. So chances are we would have seen something.

Alopecia makes more sense...it can definitly cause your hair to fall out (including your eyebrows if it is bad enough) and flairs up becuase of stress.

Caroline's mom had very delicate skin which she shielded from the sun most of the time. She was quoted as saying she liked rainy days best as they were good for the skin. She did consult an aesthetician (sp?) who advised her on skin care and--yes--used expensive products. Like Jacqueline Kennedy she was a big fan of Erno Lazlo who had wonderful products. I believe someone has his formulas and re-launched his product line not all that long ago......but pricey I'm sure.

Caroline's Alopecia

I saw pictures of Caroline bald and read that she had alopecia, which is when your hair falls out. For a lot of women it is permanent.

Does anyone know more about her condition? Did she go out bald or did she wear a wig? Did she receive treatment? I ask because hair is a big interest of mine and I'm curious to know how she managed to grow her hair back (unless she's wearing a wig now). Thanks.

I know a bit..... Caroline used to wear either a turban or a scarf. Then she preferred to go bald for a time. Not sure how long it lasted - a year? It started around 1996. Her hair eventually grew back.

I read that once is started falling out from stress that she shaved it... it wasn't that she became naturally bald...

Kastalia said:
Yes,it was in 1996 and rumors say that she was very stressed because her relationship with Prince Ernst was at the beginning while he was still married to Chantal Hochuli,so this stress caused her this problem.She never wore a wig she was using turban.But then her her grew back.
http://worldroots.com/brigitte/royal/gifs/carolinemonaco40.jpg

http://worldroots.com/brigitte/royal/gifs/carolinemonaco39.jpg

from Brigitte's site Worldroots.com

I think very, very severe levels of stress cause alopecia, so I'm sure Kastalia is partially right in that the Ernst/Chantal/Caro love triangle may have been a contributing factor, but I also think it was much more than that. Since it happened in 1996, I wonder if Caroline was under a particular amount of pressure in the buildup to the 1997 Grimaldi 700 celebrations. Anyone think it's possible?

Thank you for the replies. Even with the bald head, she managed to remain confident. I know I would have had low self esteem about it because hair is so important to women.

kittencrews said:
I read that once is started falling out from stress that she shaved it... it wasn't that she became naturally bald...

Yes, I've heard the same. Alopecia makes you loose your hair in an irregular way, not fully, but since this is very ugly, she shaved all. She was wearing a scarf/turban, but a magazine (I THINK it was Paris Match, but not sure) published pics of her, bald in her yacht, with Ernst. The paparazzi succeed two things, taking Caro bald+with Ernst, at this time not an official couple.....

As regards the stress, out of her relation with Ernst, do not forget that Caroline in 1990 faced the absolute tragedy, by loosing Stefano. And for years she was also raising alone her 3 children, not easy....

Consequently, such awful events can provoke, even years after, very strong reactions...

Here is a little timeline from Voici

August 28th, 1996

x1yhd1.jpg

September 14th, 1996

x1yhp0.jpg

October 10th, 1996

x1yhsp.jpg

November 11th, 1996

x1yhye.jpg

November 19th, 1996

x1yidy.jpg

November 21st, 1996

x1yi54.jpg

And finally

x1yik3.jpg

Very interesting to see the development of her hair in pictures, tbhrc.

In the last one, she reminds me of Nefertiti, the Egyptian Queen. The picture is one of the very bests! Look at her features, her skin...

:) Doctors say they are not sure what exactly causes Alopecia
although many say it could be due to stress. There are 3 types of Alopecia: areata, totalis, or universalis. Alopecia is not prejudice nor does it occurr in a particular age group. It can affect men, women, and children. I have known children to be affected at the age of 3 years. Also, any race has the possiblity to getting it. Sometimes your hair will grow back or sometimes not. Sometimes it may grow back with your natural hair color or it may grow back white. It can afect a person's self-esteem. Family support is very important. At least it is not life threatening!:)

I know she did an interview on US tv at that time and wore a scarf around her head. She still looked beautiful , of course. Also that she didn't wimp out of doing the interview while she didn't look her usual self is something I admire. I think we know she is a strong lady.

lal said:
:) Doctors say they are not sure what exactly causes Alopecia
although many say it could be due to stress. There are 3 types of Alopecia: areata, totalis, or universalis. Alopecia is not prejudice nor does it occurr in a particular age group. It can affect men, women, and children. I have known children to be affected at the age of 3 years. Also, any race has the possiblity to getting it. Sometimes your hair will grow back or sometimes not. Sometimes it may grow back with your natural hair color or it may grow back white. It can afect a person's self-esteem. Family support is very important. At least it is not life threatening!:)

You are correct.

For the past ten years I have suffered from Alopecia Areata which comes and go when it pleases. It's an autoimmune disease whereupon my body attacks itself thus causing my hair to fall out. My bald spots are usually the size of a dime, and with the help of topical creams my my hair grows back within six months.

Alopecia is more common than most people realize. For many it is an embarrassing thing, but I have finally accepted my condition. Alopecia will be with me for the rest of my life and there is nothing I can do about it. The important thing is to follow doctors orders, stay healthy & happy, and not let it ruin my life.

:)

GlitteringTiaras said:
You are correct.

For the past ten years I have suffered from Alopecia Areata which comes and go when it pleases. It's an autoimmune disease whereupon my body attacks itself thus causing my hair to fall out. My bald spots are usually the size of a dime, and with the help of topical creams my my hair grows back within six months.

Alopecia is more common than most people realize. For many it is an embarrassing thing, but I have finally accepted my condition. Alopecia will be with me for the rest of my life and there is nothing I can do about it. The important thing is to follow doctors orders, stay healthy & happy, and not let it ruin my life.

:)

:) I have been dealing with Alopecia for 20 years now. I began with areata to totalis to universalis. Along the way, it has made me a much stronger person. I have learned that beauty truly comes from within...:)

Princess Caroline is that kind of woman that looks wonderful in every way, even when she had the apolecia, and that she's a strong woman that faced that not so happy fase of her life

One more pic of Caroline in 1996:

16lg3e9.jpg

(die aktuelle)

lal said:
:) I have been dealing with Alopecia for 20 years now. I began with areata to totalis to universalis. Along the way, it has made me a much stronger person. I have learned that beauty truly comes from within...:)

:) I too have alopecia areata and have had it for over 20 years, although I let it it ruin my life when I was younger I too have learnt to accept it. Now, when I feel a bald patch I tie my hair up just the same and get on with my day. ;)

Does anyone know if Caroline has any ongoing issues with alopecia? I have never noticed anything in any pictures but some of you probably have a better idea about this than I do. I have always assumed that it was a one time event in her life, but given the above comments, I am now wondering if she has any ongoing issues.

Well I don't think so. Since 1996 I have never noticed something like this again. Well her life is well ordered, there have been some tough times, like Rainiers death and some other incidents ;) but she seems to enjoy her life and her family. No more stress so far.... hehe... But I have really no clue....

BTW what I always wanted to ask, in these pics (No.2 & No.3), do you think she is wearing a wig?

I believe she's not wearing,this must be her real hair...but i can't be sure.

From what I know and read, Alopecia,like baldness, could be caused by genetics or heredity..Caro's bro, Prince Albert is a bald man, even in his younger years right??.There's a probability that its in their genes to lose hair, which they got from either their Grimaldi roots or the Kellys..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom