Princess Caroline and husbands part II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It may have to do with the fact that she is Catholic and, therefore, is against getting a divorce.

I've seen in this thread as well as other threads but this especially that the reason probably PC doesn't divorce may be because she's catholic. I am catholic, I live in a country where the majority the population is catholic. But here is the thing me as well the most of my country's population is catholic because of cultural heritage, we do not follow the Catholic Church on views such as contraceptives and divorce, actually we have very high rated for divorce, and most of the female population uses the pill. As a catholic I don't identify myself with most issues that the Catholic Church defends, but I do identify with the principal teachings of catholic or rather the christian faith of love, fraternity, charity and forgiveness.

I accept the point about being culturally Catholic but Caroline is more than that - she is a practising Catholic. She battled for years to get her first marriage annulled so clearly these things matter to her. I'm really not bothered, I have no particular faith but I also identify with those central teachings mentioned. I just find it a bit strange that she set so much store by the Church's approval in one area but not in others. It's almost like a pick and choose buffet...

Well I do know a couple who dated for 10 years and their marriage only lasted for 6 months, they are not practicing Catholics however they sought church annulment for the simple reason if either of them marries again they can have a church marriage.

It may have to do with the fact that she is Catholic and, therefore, is against getting a divorce.

I don't think that's it at all. She divorced/annulled Junot and they were both Catholic.:ermm:

I think it's simply a case of being satisfied with the status quo. Neither Caroline or EA are interested in the hassle of pursuing a legal divorce.

Last edited:
I read a lot. And when I say a lot I mean articles, books, newspapers. There was one book written by a former prostitute called "You'll Never Make Love In This Town Again" where she briefly mentions hooking up with Stefano(shortly before he got with Caroline). Stefano was in the mistaken belief that this high class call girl had a lot of money. When he found out she did not, he dumped he quickly.:ermm:

At the time he got with Caroline he had a long term girlfriend. She was also unceremoniously dumped when he got with Caroline. To make it simple I get the idea that even though Stefano adored his princess, the money helped...a lot.:cool:

When he died he left Caroline up to her nose in debt. She had to sell some of her personal jewelry and got help from Prince Rainier as well.

Again, I think it was a happy marriage and that they did indeed love one another. I just don't see it as a fairy tale and I am also not convinced it would have lasted forever.

:previous: Do we have any verifiable references to Caroline and her family being left in debt and what, if any, jewelry was sold?

I remember very well these years. And I remember reading that Stefano left her a lot of money and also the Pacha, other properties and the construction company, now handled by Pierre. In the business world many thinks are bought under loan but it does not mean being poor.

In my memory based on italian media at that time, pacha yacht came on the scene after Stefano Casiraghi 's death, was purchased by princess Caroline and named with the initials of her kids

I also remember that after Stefano's death, because of his debts, Caroline was obliged to sell their chalet in St Moritz, their villa in Corsica, a high-speed yacht "Caline" and some personal collections of Stefano.

I also remember that after Stefano's death, because of his debts, Caroline was obliged to sell their chalet in St Moritz, their villa in Corsica, a high-speed yacht "Caline" and some personal collections of Stefano.

Selling something does not mean you are in need. Rich people do like this.
Athina Onassis sold her mother's home Avenue Fauche and rented the island of Scorpios.
But believe me she is not broken.

I doubt it had anything to do with debts. Stefano's children own the majority of the shares in their late father's construction company Engeco S.A.M. (see link) so when Stefano died, he was a wealthy man and left his widow and children in excellent financial circumstances. I don't believe Princess Caroline "was obliged" to sell properties. People do sell houses, maybe because they want to move on, maybe because they developed other preferences, maybe because the memories were too painful, whatever. But seeing that Stefano's children are now millionaires thanks to papa's company seems to contra-indicate any possible financial problem for the widow back then.

Please don't shoot me for going off topic but being a romantic at heart, I want Princess Caroline to find stability and happiness.

Please don't shoot me for going off topic but being a romantic at heart, I want Princess Caroline to find stability and happiness.

I think Princess Caroline is very stable and happy now, settled as a doting grandma and remaining very much "The Princess" in Monaco and beyond. She spends lots of her days at the immense domain alongside the Aisne in Picardie, at the Château de Marchais. She also has a pied-à-terre in Fontainebleau near Paris, a farm in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence and -of course- her paradise-like Clos Saint-Pierre near Monaco, her regular residence at the Rivièra.

The Prince of Monaco talks about his domain and castle in Picardie. See link.

Last edited:
I hear you but I meant relationship wise, I would like to see her stable and happy in a relationship.

I hear you but I meant relationship wise, I would like to see her stable and happy in a relationship.

She has had two formal relationships and is now in her third one, married with the Prince of Hannover. She is going to her sixties. Well, she has to divorce first to settle again for another relationship... I have the idea that both Prince Ernst August and Princess Caroline are happy with the situation. They remain the Prince and Princess of Hannover and both pursue an own life.

I have the feeling that the Caroline after a stormy love life enjoy the happiness of being with her children and her grandchildren. A relationship might not be looking for now.

It did not last very long. I recall it was already over around the honeymoon.

It did not last very long. I recall it was already over around the honeymoon.
The first clash was indeed during the honeymoon, when she discovered that he had sold the exclusivity of their pictures in honeymoon, of course without her agreement.

Then the tabs showed him out with other women.

The first clash was indeed during the honeymoon, when she discovered that he had sold the exclusivity of their pictures in honeymoon, of course without her agreement.

P. Caroline has an interessting statement about her disenchantment: " On se reveille un jour et on se demande se qu'on a fait " that goes something like «we awke up one day and we ask ourselves what have we done»... And yes, that disenchantment began in her honeymoon… :ermm:

Then the tabs showed him out with other women.

He(Junot) got into a near fistfight with the late David Kennedy(one of RFK's sons) over model Giannina Facio at Studio 54 in NYC. I remember that it was all over the tabloids in 1979 or 1980.

He and Caroline also publicly quarreled at the Monaco Grand Prix of 1980.

They separated soon afterward.:sad:

Once Caroline said in an interview that Junot stepped into this marriage, like if he was just attending another party, not more.
It was Princess Grace who indirectly pushed Caroline into this marriage. When she was dating Junot, mother and daughter were fighting a lot about this relation, as princely couple was against. While arguing once, Princess Grace challenged her daughter by saying : if he is good enough for you then marry him.. And Caroline took the challenge and insisted to marry him.
Princess Grace was dreaming much much better for her daughter than a playboy 17 years older. This is visible in the wedding, both parents are not happy at all.

I think PC’s decision to stay married to Ernst has nothing to do with her being catholic. When she married Stefano, she was already pregnant with Andrea. Same happened when she married Ernst. It doesn’t really make a difference IMHO - I’m not being judgmental here but it doesn’t seem to me that Caroline is the kind of person who refrains from doing something because of her religion. That being said, I don’t think it makes her any less Catholic the fact that she doesn’t follow the “rules” 100%... it’s just how people live in our times. The church has some really odd ideas.

I think Caroline and Ernst have decided to remain married for financial reasons and because it is convenient.

Unless one of them decides to remarry-unlikely-why take on the headache of another divorce?

Last edited:
The Casiraghis were better known than Alexandra. Maybe because they lost early their father, maybe because at this time their mother were extremely mediatized, as well as Grace's accident and passing was not soo old. Alexandra was born much later, from a living father not extremely known or liked by media, especially for American people she should be very poorly known.
Furthermore, the Casiraghis were followed everywhere, but not too much on their students life. I remember a set of pictures of Charlotte in one occasion going to school at her teen age, but I don't remember her going to Sorbone, almost nothing. The proof is that in a simple student's attire, she also could be melted among the crowd. Same for Alexandra, especially in a foreign continent.

@moderators, sorry I wanted to post the previous post into General questions about Princess Caroline and her family , , my mistake, and I don't know how to move it, feel free to do it. Thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom