Princess Caroline and husbands part II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The other thing that bothers me is that many magazines make it seem that Caroline married Ernst to acquire a higher status in the Gotha, social climbing in other words. As if she were some vulgar parvenue...Some even suggest that getting pregnant before the wedding was a means to an end. So Andrea would be the fruit of love and Alexandra the fruit of scheming. How could Alexandra become reconciled to that idea ? Why don't they think of her and her feelings before they write that nonsense ?

iloveroyals said:
The other thing that bothers me is that many magazines make it seem that Caroline married Ernst to acquire a higher status in the Gotha, social climbing in other words. As if she were some vulgar parvenue...Some even suggest that getting pregnant before the wedding was a means to an end. So Andrea would be the fruit of love and Alexandra the fruit of scheming. How could Alexandra become reconciled to that idea ? Why don't they think of her and her feelings before they write that nonsense ?

I don't think they do:) They think about sales more. And social climbing sells better.

Last installment in my venting about how the press treats Prince Ernst in its retracing of Princess Caroline's fifty years. I read over and over again that Princess Grace wished for Caroline to marry Ernst. I have read many interviews of Princess Grace (have all the old ones from Point de Vue from when Caroline was 14 to about 20, and she gave quite a few back then, as well as to American magazines) and have never read it anywhere. Nor in her biographies. Where does it come from ?
At any rate, I don't understand why the press insists on presenting Caroline as fulfilling her mother's wish. I find it preposterous. I have always had the feeling Caroline did what she either felt like doing or felt she should be doing, but fulfilling a posthumous wish, at the expense of her feelings or those around her (marrying a man who knew she was'nt in love with him) to make her mother happy, so to speak, seems completely out of character. I think it's much more simple : she was in love with Ernst.

iloveroyals said:
Last installment in my venting about how the press treats Prince Ernst in its retracing of Princess Caroline's fifty years. I read over and over again that Princess Grace wished for Caroline to marry Ernst. I have read many interviews of Princess Grace (have all the old ones from Point de Vue from when Caroline was 14 to about 20, and she gave quite a few back then, as well as to American magazines) and have never read it anywhere. Nor in her biographies. Where does it come from ?
At any rate, I don't understand why the press insists on presenting Caroline as fulfilling her mother's wish. I find it preposterous. I have always had the feeling Caroline did what she either felt like doing or felt she should be doing, but fulfilling a posthumous wish, at the expense of her feelings or those around her (marrying a man who knew she was'nt in love with him) to make her mother happy, so to speak, seems completely out of character. I think it's much more simple : she was in love with Ernst.

I think that this is a pure speculation. Princess Grace might have this thought, but she would never declare it, especially in an interview, she was full of dignity, and this kind of declaration is quite ashaming for Caroline. Ernst and Caroline at this time had never an official relation, maybe just an "affair" , so how could Princess Grace, with her position declare such a thing?
Maybe, during a querel with Caroline, at the time of Junot, she may had shouted "instead of this playboy you could have choose a real nice Prince like EA", but never officially, she was very carefull.

And Caroline, after all the dramaw she has on her life, I do not see her having a marriage just to satisfy an old mother's wish of 20 years ago.
Thing that Caroline got involved with EA while he was still married, it was a situation difficult enough, to come just for such a light reason.

Ernst was asked about this rumor soon after the wedding; he said he doubts Princess Grace could have had such an opinion, because he was quite "wild" in his 20s, but that it was a "nice" and inoffensive rumor that he and his wife didn't feel the need to deny. So apparently the rumor is not true...

Grace said:
Ernst was asked about this rumor soon after the wedding; he said he doubts Princess Grace could have had such an opinion, because he was quite "wild" in his 20s, but that it was a "nice" and inoffensive rumor that he and his wife didn't feel the need to deny. So apparently the rumor is not true...
Maybe in part is true, i read in a Caroline´s interview she said her mother used to go throught the Almanach de Gotta ( not sure of the spelling)looking for a prince for her. It was ovbiously a comment within the family.Caroline told she rebelled against this,,because she didn´t want to marry "one of those boring princes".

You can find Ernst's interview in this thread: Caroline & Ernst August Pictures Part II post 7:

About the rumour Princess Grace would have wanted him to be her son-in-law:

"I don't think that's true. But it does not make sense to disclaim a utterly harmless story. I believe, if she had seen me as a small boy, she would have said: You marry him in no case."

I have read the story about Grace saying she wanted Caroline to marry Ernst in two different books. The Grimaldi Dynasty (or something like that) and Ever After. I read that she was looking through a book with a list of eligible royal bachelors and Ernst was one of them. Caroline said that she had met Ernst when they were younger and found him boring... Obviously he's not boring any more though!! =)

Caroline with Stefano in 1984 (paris match)

WithStefano at the 1985 Red Cross Ball (Paris Match)

Tosca said:
WithStefano at the 1985 Red Cross Ball (Paris Match)

Thank you for the pictures, everyone!:flowers:

I love the dress she wore to that Red Cross ball. White looks great on her:)

Am I the only one who likes Philippe Junot and thinks they actually made a nice couple?

Oh I thought I was the only one, fandesacs!
I know Caroline and Philippe had hard times together,since they eventually split, but all the pictures of the two of them showed a nice and much in love couple.
Caro seemed to be so in love with him.
I think they were really cute together.
What a pity they did nont last. :(

At the time of their engagement, the French press was generally very positive about him, praising his qualities of energy, kindness, sense of humor, loyalty to his friends, whereas the American press was very suspicious of what they immediately called a "playboy". A French magazine cover, I think Vogue Hommes but I am not sure, had the title "Youth and Maturity", by which they meant that Philippe was the "young at heart" one, (to play down the difference in age between Caroline and him), maturity being represented by Caroline, who, in spite of the partying of those years, had a good head on her shoulders. In retrospect, that title was ironic since Caroline had the marriage annuled on the basis of her immaturity at that time. Personally, I liked Philippe because Caroline looked very beautiful with him (don't ask me for the logic of that reasoning...), and certainly at the beginning, they looked very happy together, jogging together in the early morning, attending tennis matches and parties, etc, and Caroline didn't have the responsibilities of representing Monaco the way it developed after Princess Grace's death. I was more attracted to his personality (although I would never have married a guy who didn't seem to have a job and whose source of income was an unknown (which really bugged Prince Rainier), than to Stefano, whom I found wimpy (just my perception of course) and too dominated by Caroline. And I like Ernst (except now, he seems to do nothing to regulate his health problems, which I find unkind to Caroline) kind of for the same reasons I liked Philippe: a free spirit, non-conformist, but (unlike Philippe) very loyal to his wife, in terms of social ceremonies, etc. Sorry, this is a long message, going over 3 husbands (to put Philippe in perspective) takes a long time...

Last edited:
Well, I have to disagree on Stefano. I watched him interviewed by the Italian TV when Andrea was still one year old, and he didn't appear to be wimpish, and dominated by his wife at all. That's what the foreign press always wrote about him, and since the interview was conducted in Italian, and I boast of knowing my language very well, since I was born (dialects were banned in my household), I don't think I got things wrong.

He was a man who didn't like the spotlight, but unlike EA or Andrea he'd never beated anyone. Perhaps his politeness and reservedness were mistaken for weakness. Again, in that interview he appeared as having a backbone. You do not need to shout and to rule with a rod of iron to make yourself obeyed by your subordinates or those who are closer to you. If I'm not mistaken, the years Caroline spent with Stefano were the quietest of her life. He seemed to have "tamed" her impulsive nature.

Tosca, thank you for your comments. It's good to know our facts are not always accurate or our perceptions are distorted. It's also true that Stefano seemed to have "tamed" Caroline's impulsive nature. I guess it's because I liked those years of Caroline between 14 and 21, and am nostalgic about them. After Philippe, the teenager or young woman really became a woman (I am sure maternity helped too). But the tender, vulnerable years are unforgettable and she happened to have lived the last of them with Philippe.

Back
Top Bottom