Princess Caroline and husbands part II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He's not on his own, however he does not appear to have support from Caroline.. and she is not a queen nor a devout Catholic who would not consider divorce.

Probably the couple has decided that there is no any need for a divorce. Good for them. It is their union anyway.

Obviously but one can speculate on why they have not divorced. and Ernest seems to have a lot of relapses. He is at times violent and the drinking is not doing his health any good....

Last edited:
He's not on his own, however he does not appear to have support from Caroline.. and she is not a queen nor a devout Catholic who would not consider divorce.
Her Catholic faith is important to her but she is more pragmatic about human failings than the Catholic Church seems to be.

I don't agree that the HRH is the reason they haven't divorced - I don't think she's that superficial and I think it's an arrangement that suits both of them.

Well lots of people stay married for various reasons that have nothing to do with love, but its hard to see what either of them gets out of this marriage other than being married and in Car's case, the HRH. They dont appear to see each other at all, its not likely IMO that she's staying in the marriage out of some kind of loyalty and hoping that she can be of assistance to him in dealing with his issues.. because I dont think that anyone CAN help him and there does not seem to be much contact between them.
If they lived near each other but dated other people, and saw each other at times as friends.. it would be one thing but I dont believe that that is the case.
So I htink it is pretty much now a marriage in name only and very much of conveneince. I suspect that being married gives him protection against other women trying to marry him, which he doesn't want.. and Caroline has her HRH....

Well lots of people stay married for various reasons that have nothing to do with love, but its hard to see what either of them gets out of this marriage other than being married and in Car's case, the HRH. They dont appear to see each other at all, its not likely IMO that she's staying in the marriage out of some kind of loyalty and hoping that she can be of assistance to him in dealing with his issues.. because I dont think that anyone CAN help him and there does not seem to be much contact between them.
If they lived near each other but dated other people, and saw each other at times as friends.. it would be one thing but I dont believe that that is the case.
So I htink it is pretty much now a marriage in name only and very much of conveneince. I suspect that being married gives him protection against other women trying to marry him, which he doesn't want.. and Caroline has her HRH....
And I don't see what she gains from the HRH - it's a courtesy style, not even real.

I think it's convenient on both sides and I suspect that there would be some fairly complicated untangling of their financial and other affairs. I suspect it's just easier all round unless of course, this current relationship is serious.

And I don't see what she gains from the HRH - it's a courtesy style, not even real.

I think it's convenient on both sides and I suspect that there would be some fairly complicated untangling of their financial and other affairs. I suspect it's just easier all round unless of course, this current relationship is serious.

Well, rumor has it that P. Caroline's is still married to P. Ernst to, in coordination with P. Ernst August Jr, protect the Hannover patrimony together. This way P. Ernst would not be able to marry and have other children and thus risking dissipate the household patrimony. Of course, by doing so, P. Caroline would also be protecting P. Alexandra's future heritage... :hanoverflag: :hanoverflag: :hanoverflag:

I expect that in the countries where his assets are likely to be located, children born out of wedlock have inheritance rights equal to children born in wedlock.

This distant relationship is no anomaly, see King Juan Carlos of Spain and Princess Sophia of Greece and Denmark, see Prince Vittorio Emanuele di Savoia x Clotilde Courau, see Prince Charles-Philippe d'Orléans x Diana Álvares Pereira de Melo, Duchess of Cadaval, see Archduke Karl of Austria and Francesca Baroness Thyssen-Bornemisza, etc.: examples of married royal couples whom appear no couple anymore in public.

Emanuele Filiberto di Savoia and his wife Clotilde have said that they are happily married; they simply live and work in different countries.

Last edited:
Probably Ernest doesn't care, and does not want to remarry so being married offically gives him some protection.. and Caroline likes being HRH.. There can't be any other reason - Even if she feels sorry for him, it doesn't appear that she has any influence on him or can give him any help wiht his problems

How do we even know if Caroline likes being HRH?

It is a nonsense idea to say that Caroline does not want the divorce because she keeps on having the title of HRH.
- First of all if EA wanted to divorce he could, as they are living separately for around 12 years now. It was even before PA and Charlene's wedding.
- Secondly I don't really see Caroline enjoying her HRH, she is in almost none Royal event (wedding or baptism or everything else). When she was with EA yes, but since they estranged no. I think she was only in the Luxemburg wedding. It makes one in 10 years. Not a big deal.
- Last but not least, even if she loses the HRH status, she won't be left in the streets... She will be a HSH, sister of a ruling prince and unofficial first Lady (as the official one doesn't seem ready to regain her function).
I just believe that for unknown to us reasons, both parties are ok with this way of life. We will never know the reasons as both parties and their daughter also seem not keen on disclosing their private matters.

Sent from my SM-A426B using The Royals Community mobile app

Back
Top Bottom