"Essence of Caroline": The true picture

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a strange comment, isn't ? So, either when she is being interviewed, she gives the answers she thinks are expected of her but does it so badly that she comes across as insincere (making her a bad actress, which of course she wasn't), or she makes a point of coming across as insincere (making her a good actress), but to what point, for what effect? So everybody knows she is insincere ?

Perhaps it was defiance, a way of saying that even though her life and her choices obligated her to do these interviews, she would give no more of herself. Rather like Princess Caroline's no expression photographs. That's like saying "take your photograph, but you'll get nothing of me."

This post is too long. I had to cut it into three parts.
Last May, (05/10/2008) tbhrc (Pictures of Princess Caroline from the 90’s, page 8, post 152) posted a link to a portrait of Princess Caroline, a photograph by Robert Wilson and one of my New Year’s resolutions was to write about it, hoping to stimulate others to respond. My contribution is raw and incomplete, but I hope, a beginning.
tbhrc also gave links to essays and commentaries about this portrait and reading them has been very helpful in formulating my own interpretation. These links are fascinating and make you want to see and learn more about Sargent and painters of his time. Thank you, tbhrc, for posting that wonderful link, sorry I don’t know how to move the link to this thread.
Just as Helmut Newton’s picture of Princess Caroline stirred up my imagination, which led me to create this thread, so does Wilson’s portrait. In comparing the two, the first obvious difference is that Princess Caroline faces and stares at the viewer in Helmut Newton’s photograph. She faces away from the viewer in Wilson’s portrait. As the photographer’s commentary makes clear, however, she is aware of being looked at by someone behind her. In a wink to Rear Window in which Grace Kelly shows Jimmy Stewart, the “voyeur” of the movie, the missing ring as a clue to the murder, the focus of attention is her hands, right in the middle of the picture, her right hand pointing to a wedding ring on her left hand.
I’ll start with the hands and the wedding ring. Wilson speaks of the movie’s “lost wedding ring”. This photograph, taken in the early 2000’s, seems to emphasize Princess Caroline’s dual status : she has lost her husband Stefano, and is remarried to Prince Ernst: so it is indeed a lost wedding ring, if it refers to her as a widow, but is also a recovered ring since she is remarried. In this way, a dual and ambivalent way, she may be paying homage to both her lost husband and her new husband.
Apart from a focus on the wedding ring, the gesture alludes to being handcuffed. Princess Caroline is bound to the past and history, bound to her mother’s legacy, bound to her title and the constraints it entails. She is also bound to us, insatiable viewers or voyeurs, and to photographers. She cannot escape her fate. She can turn her back on us, she can remain in darkness, but the edges always remain illuminated.

2nd part of post :

Sargent’s portrait of Madame X, which Wilson says this photograph is inspired from, created quite an uproar at the time. In fact, he had to change what to our contemporary eyes seems like an almost insignificant element to make it acceptable to the critics and public : Originally, one shoulder of Madame’s X’s dress had been pulled down. Apparently, the scandalous nature of this detail was not so much the idea that it exposed more flesh but that it was unseemly to appear to be half undressed or undressing, or redressing, as one chooses to interpret it. From what I have read, Madame X’s reputation was already rather compromised, and it just called attention to a fact the socialite or her husband would rather not highlight.
In Wilson’s portrait of Princess Caroline , her dress is irrelevant. It seems indeed rather shapeless, and in my opinion, emphasizes that she is now a middle-aged woman by the lack of emphasis on a waist, and the broad shoulders. The dress is all black (accurately reflecting Princess Caroline’s usual choice of color or lack thereof) and without definition. Yet, I see a wink in the direction of Sargent’s original portrait in the slit down her back, the equivalent of the shoulder down. To put it bluntly, it appears that Princess Caroline is not wearing a bra, that all she is wearing is that strict-looking, almost austere black dress. This would be the third ambiguity or ambivalence of the picture: two viewers, one in front of her,(the direction of her gaze), one behind her, explicitly defined as a voyeur as by the reference to the Hitchcock movie, a wedding ring that signals both her widowhood and her married state, and a stark-looking dress that belies its starkness by revealing the absence of an upper undergarment. What should one call that slit in the back ? It almost looks like a cut, a gash, a slash as by a knife. It is a ray of white in all that black. Is it another reference to her widowhood, her wound, her scar? Is it a sign of vulnerability, of exposure, (even she is not “covered” from the wounds of life), or is it a ray of hope, a sign of her sexuality, sensuality and rejuvenation renewed by her marriage?
The picture is notably stark. There are no props, as in Sargent’s portrait, no furniture, no feathers or fan in her hands, no drapery, nothing to complement or detract from the subject. And so Caroline stands alone, deprived of all symbols of power usually associated with royal status. But then, why would Caroline need them ? She is, and has been for the longest time, the epitome of real royalty, even though the royal status of the Principality of Monaco is often disputed or belittled. In an earlier official photograph by, I think, Karl Lagerfeld, when she was a young wife and mother, she wore a royal blue elaborately frilly long gown, a tiara with matching earrings, and looked out from the palace’s balcony alternatively to her kingdom as it were and the wide blue sea, surrounded by her exquisitely handsome and well-groomed husband and children. She had it all. Now, she stands alone. And yet, even though the angle from which she is photographed is different, the pose is unmistakenly hers, with that way of tilting her head up which so often is viewed as arrogance. Let’s say instead that this is a woman so aware of her power that all she needs is this signifier (her signature lilting up of her head) to show who she is: she is unequivocally confident in herself and her status, she stands like a queen, her pose held in a supremely controlled way. She stands imposingly and even dramatically tall, very still, and from the stillness emanates her force, in a kind of insolent magnificence. The photographer transforms one ordinary individual into a kind of mythical figure. She could have played in a Greek tragedy, Euripides’s Trojan women for example, the role of Andromache.

3d and final part !
What to make of her expression ? Madame X’s expression is detached. To me, she looks like a socialite who is used to being looked at, maybe even evaluated and gossiped about, and who is past caring. She looks unconcerned , calm and indifferent. Princess Caroline’s expression is hard to define, partly because of the angle Wilson has chosen to photograph her from. It is not a profile, it is not a three-quarter pose, if there is a name for that kind of angle, I don’t know it. It makes her expression more mysterious and open to all kinds of interpretation. Again, the photographer has chosen to show the marks of aging, as the lower cheek is slightly lined and slightly sagging. The face is too strong and too full of character to be that of a very young woman. There seems to be a narrative behind the expression and the signs of age. It speaks of solitude, it betrays melancholy. It is somewhat dreamy, internally-oriented, although she seems to be looking at someone. It is also somewhat defiant, not with the defiance of adolescence, but the defiance of experience. But again, the real eloquence of expression is not to be found in her face but in the gesture of her hands.
When you look at Sargent’ s portrait and Wilson’s photograph side by side, you are struck by how the two pictures stand to each other like a photograph and a negative, immediately rendering irrelevant the Nicole Kidman posing in Madame X’s manner for a 1999 tribute to Sargent in Vogue magazine, which stands to Sargent’s painting like an original and a copy. The picture of Madame X uses the black dress to emphasize the white flesh of the subject, her body, her face. The picture of Caroline has her almost entirely in dark, except for some illumination around the edges. The light and awareness of flesh is concentrated in the slash in her dress as a rearward décolletage. What is forward-facing on one is rearward facing on the other. What is dark in one is illuminated in the other. While Caroline seems to have her hands tied, Madame X’s arms are spread wide and part of her magnetism emanates from the power of her arms. Her fingers, in spite of the emphasis on being “Madame” are free of rings. Her freedom is also expressed in her hair, which although well-coiffed, is swept back and loosely contained. Caroline’s hair is so contained and dark that she could be wearing a toque. Madame X looks with hauteur beyond the margins of the painting. Her position is regal, aristocratic, assured—as is her face in profile looking away from the viewer as in disdain, yet at the same time, she is poised in a position of strength that could at a moment spring into action. She belongs in a Proust novel. In contrast, Nicole Kidman’s delicate beauty, finally chiseled face and whiteness, slightly uncomfortable expression makes her look fragile, with the vulnerability of a very young woman. Kidman’s pose suggests that she is about to move away from the table, whereas Caroline seems immovable, statuesque, not only in her actual height or grandeur but in a kind of immortality reserved for the goddesses of mythology. It reminds me of Alain Resnais’s 1961 black and white movie “Last Year at Marienbad”, where statues feature prominently, and where the main characters are fascinated by them and keep giving contradictory interpretations of them. It is as if Princess Caroline could be immortalized, frozen in stone and used in a film for dramatic purposes. In a way, Caroline comes across as being androgynous, a figure neither male nor female (the slash in the back—the décolletage—would look the same way in either a male or female), and unanchored in time or place. Like characters in film, like her mother in Rear Window and all her other movies, she is now out of time, more spirit than flesh.
Like Helmut Newton, Robert Wilson’s portrait is in black and white, the best medium to let spirit and soul come across through light and darkness. Unlike Newton, Wilson chose to include very few subtle elements, the slit in the dress, the hands and the ring, to let us dream of what a life is, when caught along the axis of bondage and power, hidden and revealed.

Thank you for such an intelligent & thoughtful reading of this remarkable portrait. To me it conjours up a tremendous sense of self containment - the pose strikes me as both aloof & remote. Although there's much to admire, I can't warm to this portrait (perhaps because it starkness is so uncompromising)
Given the strong ontline definition of the body, I'm struck by the relalatively undefined profile of the face.
I would very much like to know if Caroline had any input to the final version

Elly C, thanks for your feedback. I agree with you that it's hard to warm to this portrait. I myself don't, but I find it interesting. I'll try to write more about it later, and like you, I wonder if Caroline had any input to the final version. In fact, I wonder what kind of reviews it got, and it there were any interviews attached to it, any comments by the princess. It would be interesting to know what other versions existed, why they were discarded, and how the final choice was made, since photographers take scores of pictures before they choose the one they feel is most representative. Whose choice might have prevailed ? How Caroline saw herself or wanted to be seen, or how the artist saw her and wanted that vision to be seen ? We know Caroline is very much into the arts, but does her support go as far when it is her own image that is at stake ?

Thank you iloveroyals for your impressions on this picture, i enjoyed the reading. I admire your way with words ( well i envy that in everyone, in a good sense). I can´t believe you can write so many lines about a photo, that made me think of so many interpretations. This is the kind of portrait i prefer, instead of the happy portrait of a family. It reminds me of an interview in which she said: "i´ve been taught not to make any gesture when being photographed so that people can make their own interpetation."
There´s something that bothers me in this one. She should be looking at the sea or from a balcony, but instead we can see there´s a screen or wall, the lowest part is something that bothers the sight. It´s just a detail, but it would be perfect without that. I think this picture is probably a homage to her mother, but it may mean many things. I wish i knew what Caroline´s interpretation is.

Thank you, rosana, for your feedback. It's good to have a conversation going.
It's interesting, what you say, about your liking this kind of portrait rather than one of a happy family. Indeed, there is a coldness, bordering on hardness about this picture that makes her anything but pretty. It reminds me of Christina Onassis, who was always said to be beautiful but not pretty. Caroline, for the longest time, was both. In this picture, Caroline is beyond beautiful, she is secret, majestic, almost exalted. She has divested herself of all signs of femininity. We can hardly see the shape of her body, she does not wear any jewelry except for the very simple wedding band, and we can't see her shoes : that's a very telling sign ! It makes her taller, almost elevated. Her dress could almost be the habit of a monk, so we are left with very little to indicate who she is. She is barely more than a silhouette outlined against a dark background, and turning her back on top of that too. It may be that she, or the photographer, really liked to play on the ambiguity of her being like a black and white screen goddess, she who never acted in a film. Yet, as I said, I could very well have pictured her in the movie The Trojan Women, playing either Vanessa Redgrave's role, or Irene Papas.

The pose and attitude certainly emphasize the distance she wants to put between her and us. She makes herself inaccessible. She is almost like an emperor (and I use the masculine on purpose because there is something almost virile in her pose), reluctantly turning around to grant someone an audience when she'd rather remain lost in her own thoughts.

I also wondered what she was looking at: perhaps the lack of background, of any landscape, window, balcony of any kind, indicates that she is looking at something internal, either the past or the future. If the interpretation of the ring is correct, that it is a lost ring (her widowhood) and a recovered ring (her remarriage), then she would be looking at both, and that is an internal landscape. The lack of anything material around her may also indicate that she is beyond the material, that nothing materialistic can affect her or draw her attention.

I puzzle about the lack of "lightness of being", and it also made me wonder if the color black which she seems to favor since losing Stefano indicates that she is now and forever a widow, first and foremost. I remember reading that when Stefano died, her first gesture was to cut her hair short, and it was a very Italian or Mediterranean reaction, a very public and symbolic gesture, as if to say "I am no longer a woman", "I do not care about my femininity or sensuality anymore", kind of like nuns do when they enter the convent, although not quite as drastic. Ironically though, she did shave her head a few years later. That is very intense !

I agree: I wish Caroline would give her own interpretation, especially if she had a lot of input in how it should be done. I haven't found any materials about it though.

Where/when was this picture taken - it almost looks "photo chopped" - NOT implying that you did it, and - not that Caroline wasn't a stunner when she was young - but the color of her face doesn't go w/the skin color of the body - just curious if it came from a reliable source like an old magazine from the early '80, since she looked pudgier in the '70s....:ermm:

I assume you meant "photoshopped". I don't photoshop pictures but I do "photo chop" them. Since I don't presume to ever become a Princess Caroline scholar, I have the unfortunate habit of cutting off the edges (and therefore sources, bylines, etc.), to fit into my protective sheets or albums, as well as not keeping the cover of the magazine, which would verify the source . So, all I can tell you is that it came from the section entitled "Les Gens" in Paris-Match, date unknown (I assume mid to late eighties). It is a well-known photograph by one of the best known photographers, so it should'nt too hard to find someone who has another copy of the same photo, for comparison's sake.

That photo was posted with watermarks in one of Caroline's 80s threads, I would think it was taken by Helmut Newton.

Glistening Seas

;) this was a beautiful photo and the first time we have seen the photo. As far as an interpretation??? The whole beauty of interpretating photos is that the "whole" interpretation "thing" is purely subjectional to what the interepretator happnes to be feeling and thinking at that time. Thus the chances of the interpretation being completely "off" from what the purpose or intent of the photo was meaning is highly likely. If it was taken at the time of her husbands death. Then the choice of outfits was probably reflective of her mood. The portrait has and etherial quality to it and a reflective; perhaps retrospective air about it. The earrings were fab, though. This was a magnificient photo one that has a true regal quality to it. However, the portrait of her and stephano and that blue gown and crown taken on a balcony was gorgeous and seemed more like herself. while this is a beautiful photo, it's far too somber to be what we would think is the true Caroline. She seems to be far too much of a fun-loving person to have this be a reflection of whom she really is. :poinsettia::candycane::wreath:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom