Engagement of Andrea Casiraghi and Tatiana Santo Domingo; 2 July 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow finally ! It's been what 8 years or more about time ya know congrats to the happy couple .

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-j3hVz3-bFHk/T_ROfSHbrNI/AAAAAAAA_h0/kwskq_g-kpA/s1600/1-21-andrea-love.jpg
Is this the official picture?? Come on..I know they are kind of "alternative", they don't go by the rules... but sometimes we need to be a more serious...look at Andrea clothes...they are both looking in other way...I'am talking about having a more serious approach to life and don't think that all is party time...:ROFLMAO:

No, this is not the official picture! It's an old one, taken some years ago!

So far no engagement pic has been released, only Princess Caroline's statement.

Strange Engagement unconfirmed and then confirmed and no pictures !

Well her public identity for the last 7 years has been as Andrea's grilfriend so

We got to know her because she was Andrea's girlfriend, but that's not her identity, for god's sake. She is a person on her own, with her own family and name.
I can see no good reason why she would not finally become Tatiana Casiraghi.
Well, what about he fact that she is not a Casiraghi but a Santo Domingo?

Why not go from using her fathers surname to using her husbands
Because her father's name is HER name. She was born with it. She is a Santo Domingo.
Why does not Andrea change his name into Andrea Santo Domingo? Why not go from using his father's surname to using his wife's?

Last edited:
Reactions: vam
Are you all going to have a feminist debate instead of celebrating the engagement of Andrea Casiraghi?

Now that it's been confirmed, congratulations to the couple.
Is there going to be an engagement interview and/or photoshoot?

maria-olivia said:
Strange Engagement unconfirmed and then confirmed and no pictures !

Andrea is private. So isTatiana.

We got to know her because she was Andrea's girlfriend, but that's not her identity, for god's sake. She is a person on her own, with her own family and name.
Well, what about he fact that she is not a Casiraghi but a Santo Domingo?

Because her father's name is HER name. She was born with it. She is a Santo Domingo.
Why does not Andrea change his name into Andrea Santo Domingo? Why not go from using his father's surname to using his wife's?

Her father's name is HER name because her mother took on her husband's name, apparently not finding a big identity problem with it. When married mothers find it to be an issue, the children carry both names, but in the end, it always go back to patriarchic ancestry.

iloveroyals said:
Her father's name is HER name because her mother took on her husband's name, apparently not finding a big identity problem with it. When married mothers find it to be an issue, the children carry both names, but in the end, it always go back to patriarchic ancestry.

I don't really care what she takes as her last name. I want to know what her wedding dress is going to look like.

:ROFLMAO:Probability every designer would be itching to do her wedding dress.:lol:

Her father's name is HER name because her mother took on her husband's name, apparently not finding a big identity problem with it.

Well, 100 hundred years ago, women didn't have a right to vote and most of them they didn't find it a big issue. We probably should have kept things that way...
Asuming that Tatiana should take her husband's name simply because he is a male is sexist and humiliting no mather how you look at it.

When married mothers find it to be an issue, the children carry both names, but in the end, it always go back to patriarchic ancestry.
Maybe you keep that law in your country.

In mine, women NEVER take their husbands name (by law, it's not even an option, you don't become a different person just because you got married) and children always carry both names, but the parents can choose whether they carry first the father's or the mother's surname and that's he one that will be passed to their grand-children. So no, the patriarchic ancestry does not always prevail.

As you see, different places different laws. And we don't know how Monaco works.

I don't really care what she takes as her last name. I want to know what her wedding dress is going to look like.

I can see her with a hippy style white thing and flat sandals... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Any date for the wedding???

I see very well Tatiana, with a hippy style long dress, hair down full of flowers, flat sandals (even barefoot).
If Andrea was NOT who he is, I would see him wed in a nice beach!!

Congratulations to the happy couple!

Well, 100 hundred years ago, women didn't have a right to vote and most of them they didn't find it a big issue. We probably should have kept things that way...
Asuming that Tatiana should take her husband's name simply because he is a male is sexist and humiliting no mather how you look at it.

Maybe you keep that law in your country.

In mine, women NEVER take their husbands name (by law, it's not even an option, you don't become a different person just because you got married) and children always carry both names, but the parents can choose whether they carry first the father's or the mother's surname and that's he one that will be passed to their grand-children. So no, the patriarchic ancestry does not always prevail.

As you see, different places different laws. And we don't know how Monaco

works.

Trepstep, no need to get your knickers in a twist. Explain this to me: so in your country, originally, there is a name that is uniquely from the female line, never having been contaminated with a male surname?

Spain is a RARE example (maybe the only one in Europe) where women do not change name when they marry and kids take both their parents names. The Prince of Asturias is called Felipe di Borbon y Grecia but the little infantas is oficially called "Leonor di Borbon y Ortiz" but I doubt that they still carry the Rocasolano, not the Grecia name. Consequently it is one moment in life when you abandon one branch's name, otherwise imagine every generation you carry 2 names more.... unbearable...
In Greece, women NEVER change their names, and theoretically, the parents have the right in theory to choose for their kids the surnname of the father or the mother (NOT both) but in reality, very very very few choose mother's name!!! So this is an obvious difference between LAW and MENTALITIES.
As regards Andrea-Tatiana, out of the Monaco law, which citizenship has Tatiana? Colombian or French?? we have to see the law also in HER country.

Last edited:
Spain is a RARE example (maybe the only one in Europe) where women do not change name when they marry
In Spanish speaking countries the married women join their maiden's surname with that of their husbands: President of Argentina is called Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner.

First Lady of Peru is called: Nadine Heredia de Humala (nee Nadine Heredia y Alarcon). And her predecessors were: Pilar Nores de Garcia and Eliane Karp de Toledo.
Wife of the Chilean dictator: Lucia Hiriart de Pinochet.
First Lady of Colombia: Maria Lucia Rodriguez de Santos (her predecessors: Lina Moreno de Uribe, Nohra Puyana de Pastrana)
First Lady of Guatemala: Rosa Leal de Perez
First Lady of Honduras: Xiomara Castro de Zelaya (one of her predecessors: Nora Gunera de Melgar.
First Ladies of Nicaragua: Lila Abaunza de Bolanos, Salvadora Debayle de Somoza Garcia, Isabel Urcuyo de Somoza Debayle. (Female president: Violeta Barrios de Chamorro)

Congrats to the happy couple. Now let's see the ring! Where's the ring?

I don't have high hopes for Tatiana's bridal look, given her usual style.

In Spanish speaking countries the married women join their maiden's surname with that of their husbands:

You are talking about southamerican countries. in Spain women NEVER take their husbands names.

iloveroyals said:
Trepstep, no need to get your knickers in a twist. Explain this to me: so in your country, originally, there is a name that is uniquely from the female line, never having been contaminated with a male surname?

"Contaminated"? Nobody is talking about contamination! I don't care about 12th century ancestors! We are not talking about history and the origin of names, we are talking about nowadays.

I care about present day social issues and the social use of having a woman abandon her own name (male or female ancenstry, it's her ancestry) to take that of her husband, as if she had become part of him, is sexist and humilating.

Tatiana has no italian blood in her, no relation to Italy whatsoever. Why should she wear an italian surname?

Take another example from someone from the Casiraghi entourage. Edwina Alexander got married and she suddently became Edwina Alexander-Tops!! I don't see Jan Tops introducing himself as Jan Tops-Alexander, do you?
No law or social use should make a woman take her husbands name, since no law makes a man take his wife's name.

And if you are a woman and you have kids you should have the legal right to pass your own name to them. It's as simple as that.

Last edited:
You are talking about southamerican countries. in Spain women NEVER take their husbands names.

(...) to take that of her husband, as if she had become part of him, is sexist and humilating.

Tatiana has no italian blood in her, no relation to Italy whatsoever. Why should she wear an italian surname?
Tatiana is Colombian, she will probably be called Tatiana Santo Domingo de Casiraghi.

And receiving husband's surname is not sexist, not humiliating, but but nice imo; If you really love this man (and he you) you feel that you really belong to him (spiritually) by taking his surname; it's now he, and not your father (whom surname you had previously) the most important man of your life.
The leading of the bride to the altar by her father is a very nice tradition imo; I pity that we in Poland don't have it.

I think the thinking if a woman take her husband's name than she becoming a different person is ridiculous imo. And there is no law saying that Tatiana must take her Andrea name if her name is Casiraghi after she get marry that because she choose to and the important concept here is that was or is her choice whether to take Andrea last name.

I don't think any European country actually has laws compelling wives to take heir husbands' surname. Even in Armenia (a very conservative country), a woman has a choice of keeping her surname or taking her husband's. My mother never changed her last name and I actually have a dual surname (a choice I was offered by authorities when applying for my passport).

If Tatiana chooses to become Casiraghi or Santo Domingo de Casiraghi - it's her right, isn't it? And if she prefers to remain Santo Domingo, I strongly doubt she'd be forced to take Andrea's surname.

I always believed true feminism is about allowing women to make their own choices - not telling them what's the "best" or "right" thing to do.

Last edited:
Looking forward to see the engagement ring..if it's going to be à heirlom belonging to Princess Charlotte,Grace or Caroline.I suddenly miss Stefano Casiraghi.He will never see his eldest wed.

If Tatiana chooses to become Casiraghi or Santo Domingo de Casiraghi - it's her right, isn't it? And if she prefers to remain Santo Domingo, I strongly doubt she'd be forced to take Andrea's surname.

I always believed true feminism is about allowing women to make their own choices - not telling them what's the "best" or "right" thing to do.
Completely agree, Artemisia!

And "Tatiana Casiraghi" sounds really nice. But of course if she prefers to stay "Santo Domingo" and Andrea has nothing against it, ok.

I totally agree. Why everone is getting so riled up is beyond me. I grew up in a society where the wife took the husband's name and I had no problem with that at all.

If women want to be so "independent" why do they run out every year and buy new wardrobes so they can look like everyone else because that's what the fashion industry says they should wear? Now THAT never made any sense to me.

Time to move on! We'll find out about Tatiana's choice of name as soon as the couple has married,
the discussion isn't getting us anywhere until then.

Another royal wedding! Prince of Monaco Andrea Casiraghi announces engagement to socialite Tatiana Santo Doming
Princess Caroline of Monaco has announced the engagement of her eldest son and second in line to the throne of the principality, Andrea Casiraghi, to the Swiss born heiress and socialite Tatiana Santo Domingo. Tatiana is the daughter of the late Julio Santo Domingo, named by Forbes in 2011 as the second richest man in Colombia, and Vera Rechulski , a former Brazilian socialite from Sao Paolo currently living in Paris. In a statement today, Princess Caroline declared that she ‘had the joy’ to announce the engagement of Andrea and Tatiana, who are both 28.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom