Current press reports: Princess Caroline and Prince Ernst August

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I still believe that Caroline loves Ernst. Her decision to defend him in court speaks volumes about her character but also her feelings towards him.

She was not defending him!!She only had to tell the truth. What did you expect her to do?
And the reason for their split is, i believe, "love comes to an end", as simple as that. Or they need some time apart. Many couples go back together after some time. After a year, they haven´t divorced.

She was not defending him!!She only had to tell the truth. What did you expect her to do?
And the reason for their split is, i believe, "love comes to an end", as simple as that. Or they need some time apart. Many couples go back together after some time. After a year, they haven´t divorced.
Okay, so "defend" is probably the wrong word. "Exonerate", maybe? She could have just as well chosen to let him fend for himself, couldn't she? But I don't think Caroline doesn't love Ernst altogether. Maybe the love has diminished or changed but I don't think it's disappeared. This is somewhat naff, but he fathered her child. That's a bond that doesn't break easily.

Your right, she could have left him to fend for himself but she didn't. That surely shows some kind of "affection"

ThaItalians would pronounce it "Ahn-drrey-a", where as most French and Spanish speakers would probably pronounce it "Ahn-drey(-a)".

Hey Thecia, who's your teacher of Italian, Miguel Bosé, by any chance?:lol:

In Italian it's simply pronounced An'drea. In Northern Italy it's pronounced An'dréa; whereas in central and southern Italy it's pronounced An'drèa.

Which... is pretty close to what I was trying to say I think. I was just writing it phonetically. :ermm: Although, does the "An" bit mean "Ann" or "Ahn"?

We really do not know what they both want now from their lives and their marriage. It has always been said that Ernst had always a crash on Caroline, since she was a young girl. From Caroline's side she did not pay attention to him at the same period, but decades later and after some tragedies in her life she met him again and they "found" eachother.

Many people say that their marriage was a "kind of friendship agreement", but where are they based to tell this? IMO just because the image given from the couple EA+Caro, was very different from the passionate image given by Stefano+Caro. But LIFE was different 15 years after!!! Caroline HERSELF was different 15 years after!!! And EA was not Stefano, he was another person, another caracter!! A 23 years old ITALIAN guy does not behavior in the same manner than a 45 years old German guy! But the couple's different external behavior does not mean that their feelings were not deep and sincere!
And NOBODY from us really knows what hapened between EA + Caro. We do not know who decided to break, and if they just decided to be separately for a while. EA had an affair, but this does not tell us that EA wanted to split! Maybe Caroline wanted to split!

Which... is pretty close to what I was trying to say I think. I was just writing it phonetically. :ermm: Although, does the "An" bit mean "Ann" or "Ahn"?

Closer to 'Ahn' but you hear no 'y' between 'e' and the final 'a'.

Yes, fandesacs, German guys drink harder than their Italian counterparts do... [joke]

They spent many years together,they have 11-year-old daughter..and now is something wrong?In my opinion they just can't be serious people.And by the way,on this example we can see some universal truth:you can't "bulid" your happyness on unhappyness' someone else(in my opinion it was unfair to burn Chanatel's mariage).Normal woman would know that if man leaves his wife and children for one another,there's something wrong with him.
I like princess Caroline,her style.I'm intrested in her,but i can see any excuse in this situation.

Do we really know what Chanatel and Ernst situation was? They were married on paper but could have been separated or living separate lives for years.

Do we really know what Chanatel and Ernst situation was? They were married on paper but could have been separated or living separate lives for years.

There is a lot of support for this idea. And maybe I'm naive, but I've never been able to believe that Caroline would "steal" Ernst from a good friend, unless the marriage was basically over for all intents and purposes. She knows far too well how it feels to be cheated on, from her first husband, whom she did Not want to lose, at the time.

Plus, I know Caroline doesn't care about the title as such, but I think the HRH has given her a great clout in her role with the U.N., AMADE, etc. I think she likes that aspect of it.

Hmmm, this is an excellent point, Casiraghi Trio, I agree with you about that.

I'm not sure if I think that Chantal and Ernst had been living "separate lives" but I never thought that Caroline stole Ernst. I believe that for a person to even consider cheating, there have to be pretty serious problems in the marriage to begin with. I don't think Chantal was the most unbiased source of information about her marriage and maybe that she didn't want to see the problems that were occurring in it (I refer to the whole "We're not getting divorced" thing that she did). I do think it was a little... unsavory for Caroline to follow Ernst around the world (when he was in New York, she was in New York, when he was in London, she was in London and so on...) but I think some people seem to blame Caroline more than they blame Ernst. Of course, Caroline shouldn't be excused for what she did but neither should Ernst. He was the one that was married. But I restate my above opinion, I think there were serious problems in that marriage to begin with. And maybe (I'm just throwing this out there as a musing) it was better in the long term that Ernst pursued his own happiness. It gave Chantal the freedom to pursue hers. And I think that both of them being happy apart is probably better than them being miserable together. For them and their children. :flowers:

It's always the woman who gets more maligned in these triangular entanglements. When a marriage breaks up, it's the "other woman". Always the woman. It's the wife's fault for not keeping him happy, or the mistress fault for being "immoral." But it's never the man's fault for anything. The women either couldn't please him..... or pleased him/tempted him too much!
:bang:

It's always the woman who gets more maligned in these triangular entanglements. When a marriage breaks up, it's the "other woman". Always the woman. It's the wife's fault for not keeping him happy, or the mistress fault for being "immoral." But it's never the man's fault for anything. The women either couldn't please him..... or pleased him/tempted him too much!
:bang:

I feel that the MAN is responsible:bang: - in this instance - Ernst. HE was the one that stepped outside the marriage (for whatever reason); it was HE who allowed himself to be photographed frolicking on the beach....he very well may have told the other woman that he was separated/divorcing at that time, anything to seduce her.....Ernst is totally guilty here!:ohmy:

I find Ernst's behaviour with the Moroccan woman a little strange. I have to be honest, even though Caroline and Ernst's marriage was the product of an affair, of all the ways I thought their marriage could possibly end, adultery wasn't one of them. Honestly. I just got the impression that Ernst was a little bit too terrified of Caroline to cheat on her. The story about the argument they had over Ernst apparently staring at some woman's breasts a few years ago reiterated that to me. Other stories I've heard or read did this also. I just got the impression that even though Ernst was rowdy and a hell raiser, Caroline was the strong on in that relationship. Maybe it's my own superlative view of Caroline but I thought that she was so badass that Ernst would die in desperation (pardon the joke :lol:) rather than cheat on her. It seems I was wrong. :ermm:

My sincere hope is that they get back together. Hopefully their time apart will make them appreciate each other more, what they had long ago, what they can have again, even richer, more full. As the old saying goes ~ absence makes the heart grow fonder. And now that Albert will be getting married, hopefully Caroline will have more time to do other things, one being spending more time with her husband.

After all, their children are grown & flown the nest, except for little Alexandra, and now they can enjoy their golden years together. Indulge their individual & combined passions, be it architecture, gardening, riding horses, visiting museums, attending the opera or ballet, dancing, renovating their estates, whatever makes them happy, and what they didn't have time to do before because they were too busy raising their children together and fulfilling family obligations (e.g. Princess Caroline being First Lady of Monaco for almost 30 years; something thrust upon her at such a young age due to the tragic death of her mother in 1982).

Lol, also they have the joys of grandparenthood to look forward to as well, and the planning of their children's marriages eventually. I would imagine it would be more pleasureable as a couple versus a singleton.

Lastly, hopefully the affection they have for each other is still there, because they can build from that. The first blush of youth is gone, as well as lust, what remains is friendship...and affection. :)

PS: in Caroline's case I am reminded of the old saying ~ first you marry for love, second for security, and lastly for companionship. ;)

PS: in Caroline's case I am reminded of the old saying ~ first you marry for love, second for security, and lastly for companionship. ;)

For Caroline I would paraphrase

First she married for revolution

second for love

lastrly for companionship

My sincere hope is that they get back together. Hopefully their time apart will make them appreciate each other more, what they had long ago, what they can have again, even richer, more full. As the old saying goes ~ absence makes the heart grow fonder. And now that Albert will be getting married, hopefully Caroline will have more time to do other things, one being spending more time with her husband.

After all, their children are grown & flown the nest, except for little Alexandra, and now they can enjoy their golden years together. Indulge their individual & combined passions, be it architecture, gardening, riding horses, visiting museums, attending the opera or ballet, dancing, renovating their estates, whatever makes them happy, and what they didn't have time to do before because they were too busy raising their children together and fulfilling family obligations (e.g. Princess Caroline being First Lady of Monaco for almost 30 years; something thrust upon her at such a young age due to the tragic death of her mother in 1982).

Lol, also they have the joys of grandparenthood to look forward to as well, and the planning of their children's marriages eventually. I would imagine it would be more pleasureable as a couple versus a singleton.

Lastly, hopefully the affection they have for each other is still there, because they can build from that. The first blush of youth is gone, as well as lust, what remains is friendship...and affection. :)

I'm sorry to disagree, based on what is publicly known at least. :ermm: Whilst I was applying my earlier statement to the marriage of Ernst and Chantal, I believe the same is also true of Ernst and Caroline's marriage. There must be serious problems if Caroline was willing to pick up not only her life but her daughter's life and move over 200 miles away to Monaco, which is not only a different city but a different country, albeit a tiny one. There must be serious problems if Ernst is willing to stick his tongue down another woman's throat on a public beach and know that it was being captured on film. That's not the sign of a happy relationship. I do think love still exists between them but as I said, Caroline is, in my view, the stronger of the two in that relationship. At some point, she had to walk away for her own sanity and dignity, and for her daughter's. Because at some point, someone had to consider their daughter. And even if they do still love each other, there comes a point where something has to be more important and something has to take priority.
I am not here to vilify Ernst but he has acted in some cases with total disregard for the fact that there are people in his life who needed to depend on him who frankly, probably couldn't. There has been allegations of alcohol abuse and even domestic violence (though these were never completely confirmed, except for the producing of a photo where Caroline appeared to have a black eye). And I'm sure we normally hear of bad incidents more than good but it leads you to wonder - if Ernst acts like he has in public, what's he like in private? Unless Ernst were to make a serious commitment to reforming his behaviour and giving up the alcohol (which hospitalised him with acute pancreatitis and which doctors warned could kill him if he continued - a fate he spoke of wishing to avoid for his daughter's sake, though that promise seems to have fallen through) then it would not be a situation I would actively encourage Caroline to return to.
I believe that both should do what makes them happy and if that means getting back together, I'm no one to judge but the idea that they should just get back together for what "could be" seems a sort of "like it or lump it" attitude and an outdated one. Sometimes love or "affection" isn't enough.

IMHO - there is no way that Ernst was worried about Caroline threatening him if he cheated on her. He has already demonstrated that he has an unpredictable personality - cheating on his 1st wife, drinking to excess, violent outbursts - I'm sure her responses included the fact that he kept that wandering eye, and she probably knew in the back of her mind that she may be on the receiving end one day....sadly, that day came. I think, in some ways, Caroline is attracted to people with edgy or daring personalities - Junot and Ernst were more "bad boys" and Stefano was racy with his speed boat racing - she doesn't seem to mind her men living on the edge in the fast lane....of course, that personality comes with consequences.....

First of all, Caroline was ordered to appear by the court. She had no choice. She was going to have to testify as a witness to what happened. Keep in mind that Ernst is the father of one of her children. What Mother wants the father of their child in jail. She had to tell the truth about what she saw. She could however choose her words carefully which is what she did.

As for the break up of marriages, there can be many reasons. People can grow apart. Or one of them is a serial cheater - Ernst fits that title. It takes two in a marriage so there is no particular person at fault most of the time. Caroline certainly knew Ernst's reputation and Chantel was one of her good friends. I like Caroline very much but to get involved then marry your best friends husband is a bit much even if the marriage was already over. Grace had always wanted Caroline to marry Ernst so I can't help but think this didn't play into the equation some where.

First of all, Caroline was ordered to appear by the court. She had no choice. She was going to have to testify as a witness to what happened. Keep in mind that Ernst is the father of one of her children. What Mother wants the father of their child in jail. She had to tell the truth about what she saw. She could however choose her words carefully which is what she did.
Which is what I meant. I didn't mean not show up at court, I meant that she could have left him to fend for himself with the testimony she could have given.

Which is what I meant. I didn't mean not show up at court, I meant that she could have left him to fend for himself with the testimony she could have given.

I see what you mean. Yes she could have done that as well but I think she was thinking of her daughter when she chose her words. He has never in his life really paid for his actions in the sense that actions should have consequences. He might with his life if he is drinking again which it appears to be the case. That may also be the reason Caroline left him, because she might not want Alexandra exposed to his fits of rage when he is drunk. This of course brings us full circle to the lawsuit.

Are you guys sure that she had a choice about the court? She could have been compelled to testify?

I don't think the German courts could force PC to testify. I think she did so voluntarily for what reasons I don't know. I also have wondered if she or PA could have given Ernst diplomatic immunity and refused to do so. That could be 1 reason for their separation. They separated 15 days after he went to court.

The sense of duty has nothing to do with love etc... She was a witness to the facts and she had the duty to report what she saw and heard ! And that is right !

I don't think the German courts could force PC to testify. I think she did so voluntarily for what reasons I don't know. I also have wondered if she or PA could have given Ernst diplomatic immunity and refused to do so. That could be 1 reason for their separation. They separated 15 days after he went to court.

Dumb question - and, I'm not trying to be a smart alec, so please don't think that, but how would diplomatic immunity have worked, since Ernst is not a diplomat? Really, his 'rank' in the royal world is actually higher than Princess Caroline's. The crime happened in Kenya, but we know the trial was held in Germany because the hotel owner is German. Also, hadn't the pictures (Enrst frolicking on beach) been released by the time of the trial (re: separating 15 days later) - I would think she was subpoenaed (or, whatever the equivalent would be) which is why she testified - not because of some obligation to him or the marriage. She was a material witness to the events.

Ernst doesn't have diplomatic immunity, as his country recognises no royalty and his title is only a courtesy. All sitting royalty have diplomatic immunity, as far as I know. I know in the case of the Qatari royals, they carry diplomatic passports and UK royals are exempt from searches in airports and the like. Stephanie invoked diplomatic immunity so she wouldn't have to testify when a man was murdered and the girlfriend (I think?) arrived at the scene in a vehicle owned by her. I suppose Monaco could have given Ernst diplomatic rights, as a married member of their sovereign family, but they didn't. :ermm:

Ernst doesn't have diplomatic immunity, as his country recognises no royalty and his title is only a courtesy. All sitting royalty have diplomatic immunity, as far as I know. I know in the case of the Qatari royals, they carry diplomatic passports and UK royals are exempt from searches in airports and the like. Stephanie invoked diplomatic immunity so she wouldn't have to testify when a man was murdered and the girlfriend (I think?) arrived at the scene in a vehicle owned by her. I suppose Monaco could have given Ernst diplomatic rights, as a married member of their sovereign family, but they didn't. :ermm:

Thanks Thecia. That was very interesting. The immunity question was a good one. Now we know!

IMHO - there is no way that Ernst was worried about Caroline threatening him if he cheated on her. He has already demonstrated that he has an unpredictable personality - cheating on his 1st wife, drinking to excess, violent outbursts - I'm sure her responses included the fact that he kept that wandering eye, and she probably knew in the back of her mind that she may be on the receiving end one day....sadly, that day came. I think, in some ways, Caroline is attracted to people with edgy or daring personalities - Junot and Ernst were more "bad boys" and Stefano was racy with his speed boat racing - she doesn't seem to mind her men living on the edge in the fast lane....of course, that personality comes with consequences.....

Excellent point, Horseygal, I concur, sadly. :(

It takes two to start a fire/tango, so, yes, Princess Caroline is just as responsible for the marriage faultering as Ernst. Perhaps even moreso in her case because she's the one that chose Junot & Ernst. When you pick a bad boy, expect the worse, in my humble opinion.

Why oh why couldn't she have picked somebody like Prince Andrew of York!?! He's still committed to his ex and their children despite being divorced in name only. They live together, get along well, holiday together with their children, seem to have an ideal relationship, et al.

My only fear is that her daughter, Charlotte, does NOT copy her mother when it comes to marriage. However, history shows that one's children usually emulate their parents, for better or worse. :(

Women tend to pick bad boys, thinking they can reform them, when it would be so much easier for everybody all around if they picked a GOOD GUY for once.

My rant for the day, lol. :D

Thanks Thecia. That was very interesting. The immunity question was a good one. Now we know!
You're welcome Hibs! :D :flowers:
I see what you mean. Yes she could have done that as well but I think she was thinking of her daughter when she chose her words. He has never in his life really paid for his actions in the sense that actions should have consequences. He might with his life if he is drinking again which it appears to be the case. That may also be the reason Caroline left him, because she might not want Alexandra exposed to his fits of rage when he is drunk. This of course brings us full circle to the lawsuit.
Yeah, I get what you mean. I understand what you're all saying, about Caroline considering her daughter and only being required to report facts. I have a little bit of an issue with the latter, as Caroline essentially gave a character reference about her husband. It seems she talked more about what he was like as a person rather than the events of that evening. And whilst she was honest - admitting that Ernst had a "very excitable" temperament or something like that (I don't recall the words exactly), she could have done a lot worse. I'm sure that in her testifying about Ernst's character, she tried to protect him.

Back
Top Bottom