Caroline's Future Role in Monaco

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion....nothing will change. It'll take Charlene awhile to get used to events especially on her own , Caroline will just keep going with her life and only occasionally will we see HSH the Princess of Monaco role be played out as Charlene not Caroline. I don't think Caroline will have anymore privacy as the people and press love her......I think it'll remain much as it is now....

In my opinion they have already changed.

Frankly folks, we were a bit spoiled. Chances are if Grace hadn't died so young (and yes 54 is young) and/or if Albert had married earlier, Caroline wouldnt' have had to step in and become such an important part of what many perceive to be the Face of Monaco.

In the last year (at least since the engagement) the focus has been on Albert and Charlene. Remember when we were all asking why is Charlene tagging along for state visits (when NO other fiancee in any royal or princely house has done that), Albert was preparing her for her role.

Caroline has taken a back seat to Charlene (and really even if was Peggy Sue) that was going to happen. As Renata stated she will always be a Princess de Monaco but not the main Princess de Monaco. That is reserved for the wife of the Reigning Soverign, and right now, that is Charlene.

Last edited:
There's room for both Caroline and Charlene in Monaco.

I completely agree...Charlene is First Lady, but Caroline holds a place in the cultural and intellectual life of the Principality that Charlene cannot and will not fill.

Monaco wouldn't be Monaco without Princess Caroline.

And we should not forget a very important point: Caroline has been raised as a Princess, and she is "doing alone this job" for 30 years now! Her experience is precious. Charlene is young, very new in this role. She does not even speak french! She NEEDS Caroline's support and advice, and I'm persuaded that Caroline will be glad to support her.

Caroline is the most mature of the three siblings. She has AMADE, a world-wide charity trying to better the lives of thousands +

She is President of the Prince Pierre Foundation and is active during the times when new authors and artists are being selected.

Apart from these, she is well known in the arts / music world.

She has a family of four, with a wide age range, and she seems very hands-on with them all.

Last but not least, she knows her own worth - as a woman, as a family member, as a human being.

Well said Renata4711 & I agree with what your wrote.

If PC loved the limelight she wouldn't have moved to San Remy or Melee sur Seine. She would have stayed in Monaco or Paris where she would have maximum exposure. She also wouldn't have spent 40 years suing the very magazines that put her on their covers. They are not happy with her, as they have said in their editorials at various times, eg. Paris Match saying they would never write an article about her again, but they all continue to have articles and photos about her, even Paris Match, because she sell magazines. As long as she sell, they will continue to write about her, whether she likes it or not.

I read Paris Match regularly and I cannot remember the last time they did a story on Caroline, let alone put her on their cover. It makes me sad, because I am fascinated by her and I have been my entire life.

I would purchase a milk carton if it had her photo on it!

I think that the falling out with Paris Match began in the late 90's when she began her affair with Ernst-August...she was said to be very displeased with their coverage of that particular scandal.

Wasn't Paris Match the magazine that had the article this spring on how PC should be the ruler rather than PA?

Caroline is still the Hereditary Princess and isn't about to step down from her duties, especially since Charlene barely speaks French, a big problem for the time being until she picks it up. She will play the dutiful wife and produce an heir, then probably file for divorce.

If I understand correctly in the event that Charlene and Albert do not have a son, the heir would be Andrea, son of Caroline?

If I understand correctly in the event that Charlene and Albert do not have a son, the heir would be Andrea, son of Caroline?

:previous: Caroline, Princess of Hanover is the heiress presumptive. Andrea, would become his mothers heir, thus making him the heir apparent should Caroline succeed Albert.

Last edited:
late 90's when she began her affair with Ernst-August...she was said to be very displeased with their coverage of that particular scandal.

Then she should not have been sleeping with him in the first place; for all her pious airs, she did participate in the breakup of that marriage, Ernst-August supposedly being bset friends with the first wife.

If Charlene and Albert do not have a child (son or daughter) the heir is Caroline, and than Andrea.

Then she should not have been sleeping with him in the first place; for all her pious airs, she did participate in the breakup of that marriage, Ernst-August supposedly being bset friends with the first wife.

How prudish! How do you know his marriage was not finished, or it would have finished without Caroline?

If they have just daughters, then the first born daughter will be in the heir of the throne .Just if they don't have children ,then the heir of throne would be belong to P.Caroline and after that on her's eldest son,Andrea :)
Originally Posted by Danishla

Last edited:
Not only would their first born daughter be Heiress Presumptive, any man she married would be required to drop his own surname and assume the Grimaldi name and Coat of Arms...they've dotted the i's and crossed the t's to make certain the Grimaldi line continues!

Another "What if..." to ponder:
What if Charlene does not produce an heir (of either sex) within, say, five to ten years ??

Are you having a problem with Caroline?
I mean, saying this, and that you don't want her to do something a la Antoinette, fearing for poor Charlene's "new" life in Monaco...

Please note that Caroline's relationship with Ernst August is NOT the topic of this thread.

Any and all additional OFF TOPIC posts will be deleted.

She can be the "People's Princess" :)

Really? I have the feeling she would not like that...After desperately striving for that royal title. I remember that in one of her last interviews Chantal said that she would never divorce Ernst, and would do everithing she could to salvage her marriage. Then Caroline got pregnant and the rest is history.

Never mind the titles - it's Caroline's future work for the Principality that matters.

Apart from her usual roles in the Arts, AMADE etc., she has three grown-up children who are in relationships, may well get married and produce children of their own.

Roll on, Grand-Mère Caroline....

It surely was some sort of roller-coaster ride for Caroline as it was clear when she was a child that as long as her brother survived, she would never be the heir to Monaco. IIRC the old laws only allowed the offspring of the prince to inherit - thus as soon as Albert ascended, Caroline and Stephanie lost her inheritance right as they were not longer the children of the prince but his sisters. And while Rainier got older and older, Albert didn't think of marrying... So this was a real problem for Monaco. The Rainier negociated the change of the succession laws with France and Caroline could become Albert's heiress. She obviously got used to that position and accepted her responsibility. And now Albert's got married and will in all probability a father within the next years. Another change of plans for Caroline - and all those done withoput her having a say in it. Poor Princess.

Imho, i'm sure Albert will have children with Charlene. I don't think that he wants to give his position to his nephews.

I don't think Caroline is as hung up on being the ruler of Monaco as people seem to think...as for her sons...who knows?

When they were children she refused to let them have titles and always emphasized in interviews that they were private citizens, not "official" children.

They have obviously been well educated and could step in if need be, but neither one strikes me as having been groomed specifically for succession. They will have lives of personal freedom, and all the luxury and comfort that enormous wealth confers.

Sounds good to me.

Disagree Moonmaiden. All of Andrea's schooling has been geared to the government. He has had to prepare as if he were going to be ruler. If PA has children he will still probably have a high postition Monaco government job. I am wondering if he hasn't already moved back to Monaco. He sure looks tanned this summer.

Anyone have any ideas on how Caroline will cope with no longer being First Lady of Monaco after Albert is married and there is a new official Princess of Monaco?

We will probably see pictures of her smiling more, lookinng relaxed and pursuing interests that are important and rewarding to her.

She's in her fifties and worked hard for her principality.
She can slow down a bit now.
But I'll think she'll remain the cultural ambasador for and in Monaco.

I think she will have more time for her artistic interests.

Stephanie isn't really around much. PA runs the Principality.
Charlene will be busy with her own pursuits, charities etc.

I suspect over the next 5 years she will pass along some of her workload to Charlene and retain those patronages that are really important to her. She will also have more time for herself and her family and maybe grandchildren if they come along. She will be able to have a quieter life if she wishes and not always be on call and on display.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom