A boy for Andrea Casiraghi and Tatiana Santo Domingo - March 21, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Giancarlo in English, I believe, is JohnCharles. John was Grace's brother, nicknamed Jack. Maybe her father too, I forget if that is so. Giancarlo is a very nice sounding name.

It's funny: Giancarlo must sound nice in English (when it's probably pronounced with a very sweet "G" instead of a "J" sounds as it should be), but in Italian, Giancarlo is nothing special as a name! Certainly, it's not "regal" sounding! I would exclude it.

About the succession. I thought that illegitimate children were excluded from the line of succession (a decision made to prevent Albert's two illegitimate children to claim the throne), so I think that's the case also with Andrea and Tatiana's son. The baby would not be added to the line of succession until the couple marries. So I wonder if they made a very conscious decision not to marry before his birth so as to give themselves more privacy (less "royal" burden) and in the hope that Albert and Charlene would conceive a baby in the meantime (therefore changing the line of succession).

Last edited by a moderator:
About the succession. I thought that illegitimate children were excluded from the line of succession (a decision made to prevent Albert's two illegitimate children to claim the throne), so I think that's the case also with Andrea and Tatiana's son. The baby would not be added to the line of succession until the couple marries. So I wonder if they made a very conscious decision not to marry before his birth so as to give themselves more privacy (less "royal" burden) and in the hope that Albert and Charlene would conceive a baby in the meantime (therefore changing the line of succession).

What I'd bet happened is they planned the marriage but not necessarily the baby, and once they found out about him decided to wait until post-birth to get married. Does anyone really want to walk down the aisle 7 months pregnant - or for that matter rush a wedding?

What I'd bet happened is they planned the marriage but not necessarily the baby, and once they found out about him decided to wait until post-birth to get married. Does anyone really want to walk down the aisle 7 months pregnant - or for that matter rush a wedding?

People who want their children born in wedlock do. If you have the financial resources a wedding - even a big, fancy, one - can be organised pretty quickly. OTOH if the wedding is just an opportunity to show off your wealth, have some smart photographs taken, and have a big party, it can wait. It's a question of priorities.

People who want their children born in wedlock do. If you have the financial resources a fancy wedding can be organised pretty quickly. OTOH if the wedding is just an opportunity to show off your wealth, have some smart photographs taken, and have a big party, it can wait. It's a question of priorities.

And not many people prioritize "born in wedlock" anymore - especially when the legitimacy of the child can be applied retroactively. This baby will be legitimate and in the line of succession when his parents marry, so whether he was born in wedlock or not becomes a bit irrelevant.

Personally, I don't see the point in potentially rushing a wedding, even when you have the financial resources to do so, when you're pregnant. Weddings are stressful affairs, as is being pregnant. If the legitimacy of the child isn't going to be a concern because it can be retroactively applied, why not enjoy the pregnancy (in as much as that can be enjoyed) and plan the wedding for after when you'll be able to enjoy that more?

Personally, I don't see the point in potentially rushing a wedding, even when you have the financial resources to do so, when you're pregnant. Weddings are stressful affairs, as is being pregnant. If the legitimacy of the child isn't going to be a concern because it can be retroactively applied, why not enjoy the pregnancy (in as much as that can be enjoyed) and plan the wedding for after when you'll be able to enjoy that more?

I suppose it comes down to how much you value big weddings. I don't value them highly at all at the best of times, and I feel that if you already have a child it is inappropriate to have a big, traditional, wedding, and if you're only going to have a small one, it's not going to be very stressful to organise it. Why would it be stressful for people in their situation, anyway? Other people would be doing the actual organising. All the bride and groom have to do is turn up.

Some people get married quickly when the are pregnant because of financial considerations. That is, a man may want to be sure his estate goes to his child if he suddenly dies. My son and his fiancee
wanted to be sure they could conceive before they got married. So they conceived immediately and had a civil ceremony unpublicized to protect mother and baby financially. then they had a bigger wedding when she was four months pregnant, to entertain their friends. But they are not as rich as the Monagasques, for whom such money-worries might be unimportant.

Dear friends, i must say the newspaper in question is a very serious daily publication, but still... Raoul is awful. On the other hand, Alexandre may very well be the ( or one of the ) chosen name, after all, it's one of the names of P. Albert ( (Albert Alexandre Louis Pierre Grimaldi ) so...

Alexandre is also the name of Prince Albert's illegitimate son. They have all the names of the world to choose from...

Congratulations to Princess Caroline, Andrea Casiraghi, Tatiana and family. This baby boy shall brighten up Easter this week.

Thanks for the pic..I hope we get candids of the new parents and the baby.I see that they've flown into London on the new jet.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pic..I hope we get candids of the new parents and the baby.I see that they've flown into London on the new jet.

I thought that Andrea and Tatiana used to live in Paris, not in London

Lovely pictures. Caroline looks so excited to be on her way to meet her new grandchild.

The name of the baby boy is...

(...)
SASHA!
Honestly i think it's terrible! very tacky and it doesn't suit for a baby boy. and not aristocratic at all. But if the like it...:sad:

Tacky name or not, I bet he's a handsome, healthy baby boy and that'all that matters.

(...)
SASHA!
Honestly i think it's terrible! very tacky and it doesn't suit for a baby boy. and not aristocratic at all. But if the like it...:sad:

Maybe, since Caroline is in London, there will be an fficial announcement about the name.

Tacky name or not, I bet he's a handsome, healthy baby boy and that'all that matters.
well, tht's was obvious!:flowers:
but i was hoping for a better name! as an italian i would have preferred something that marks his origins!
however, the surname casiraghi is enough!:flowers::flowers:

I doubt it. They announced their engagement right after they must have found out they were expecting. And people might not care anymore about marrying before having a child (unfortunately from my personal point of view), but, royals normally do because (in this case) they profess to be Catholic, they should set en example and should give their country a sign of stability. I still think that the decision not to marry before the birth was not accidental. Also, I wondered if they chose to have the baby in the UK so that he wouldn't have automatic French citizenship (which he would have had, had he been born in Paris).

Raoul reminds me of The Phantom of the Opera, and I think it's such a dreadful name :eek:

I really like Sacha as a nickname for Alexandre/Alexander. Alexandre Casiraghi sounds really nice, but if it's "just" Sacha, I don't know how I feel about it. Prince Sacha sounds like something from a cartoon.

Raoul is a completely normal name. There is nothing awful about it.

Maybe some people find it weird because some names are more common is some countries than others?

Like, for example:
-Oliver in english/Olivier in french are normal names, but Oliverio, in spanish is a horrible, horrible name for a boy.
-Or, Rodrigo, in spanish, is very nice, while the english version Roderick sounds like something from the high middle ages.

In France, you don't think of phantom of the opera when you say "raoul".

Both Sacha as a nickname for alexandre and raoul are perfectly fine names for a french boy.

It's funny: Giancarlo must sound nice in English (when it's probably pronounced with a very sweet "G" instead of a "J" sounds as it should be), but in Italian, Giancarlo is nothing special as a name! Certainly, it's not "regal" sounding! I would exclude it.

I don't know about it non been regal. It's the name of the king Juan Carlos of Spain! Both John and Charles are 2 of the most common names among royalty.

Some people get married quickly when the are pregnant because of financial considerations. That is, a man may want to be sure his estate goes to his child if he suddenly dies. My son and his fiancee
wanted to be sure they could conceive before they got married. So they conceived immediately and had a civil ceremony unpublicized to protect mother and baby financially. then they had a bigger wedding when she was four months pregnant, to entertain their friends. But they are not as rich as the Monagasques, for whom such money-worries might be unimportant.

It makes sense for you son, but in most european countries you don't need to get married for financial reason. Marriage doesn't affect at all the legal status of the baby, who is equally protected, whether there is a wedding or not.

The pics of Caroline and Pierre were not taken in London, as the svenskdam article states, but during their arrival in Nice, France on March 22. So it seems they were on their way to Monaco and therefore we do not know where Caroline is at the moment.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

Oh right, then I assume that these were taken after visiting the grandson lol.

Raoul is the name of cousin's little boy and he's half French...

Sacha is a nice name and I like the sound of Prince Sacha of Monaco, if it were to ever happen.

The pics of Caroline and Pierre were not taken in London, as the svenskdam article states, but during their arrival in Nice, France on March 22. So it seems they were on their way to Monaco and therefore we do not know where Caroline is at the moment.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

So is there no further substance to the suggestion that the baby was born in London? It seems odd were it to be so.

(...)
SASHA!

Sasha is traditionally a male name, but like all the others that came before, it's now epicene. Some examples: Evelyn, Beverly, Vivian, Meredith and Whitney.

Alexandre is a very nice name.

I don't know about it non been regal. It's the name of the king Juan Carlos of Spain! Both John and Charles are 2 of the most common names among royalty.

What I'm saying is that in Italian it's a common name and not regal. Juan Carlos might be regal in Spanish, Giancarlo doesn't sound regal in Italian. I think we are saying the same thing!

Juan Carlos is also a very common name in spain. Plenty of people wear it. It doesn't sound "special". It sounds the same way Giancarlo sounds in italian.

Sacha is fine as a nick name but as a persons actual legal name I would give it a pass. Hopefully it is really a French/Italian/Spanish version of Alexander.

Maybe Andrea is working at Monaco's London embassy. He probably worked in Monaco's Paris embassy last year. It would also explain why Tatiana has been seen a lot in London lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom