Why Harry/Henry??

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What was the full name of President Harry Truman?

People here are already abbreviating Meghan to 'Meg', rather more traditional and 'English' sounding...

Oh the usual annoying "Abbreviate names". I remember when I went into one office to work, in the UK, immediatley, one of the staff said to me, "we'll call you X" (an abbreviation of my name which I have NEVER used nor wanted to use).

It's easy to forget that names like Harry, Peggy or Molly that many use as proper, complete names now were for centuries considered nicknames only. Some people still consider them nicknames. I think that Harry was named Henry indicates that at least one of his parents was in the camp that thinks Harry is still only appropriate as a nickname.

Personally, I think it's kinder to give a child a more formal name even if you intend on using the nickname or shorter version in daily life because it's rather presumptious to assume a more casual name will suit them throughout their life. I know a number of people who have had a hard time getting their foot in the door with resumes that have a "cute" or "casual" sounding name on the header. Several have ended up adopting the more formal version of their name, but it's much harder to convince employers or lawyers that formal documents should say "Julie" when they know you as "Julia" than it is to do it the other way around.

I think that in Victorian times some people were christened Harry, rather than the more proper Henry. But the RF weren't likely to go for an abbreviated name..but it was announced when his name was given out, that he'd be Henry CAD, but would be known as Harry... I suspect that Charles wanted him to be given the formal name.. even if he was likely to be known by Harry.

People here are already abbreviating Meghan to 'Meg', rather more traditional and 'English' sounding...

It was Meghan who told that Nutmeg is one of her nicknames :D

It’s common for royals named Henry to go by harry. The late duke of Gloucester, a Henry, was the Queen’s Uncle Harry. And we have Shakespeare’s King Henry, often called Harry too.
When he was born it was his parents wish. The name stuck and he’s harry. Always was harry and always will be harry.

Some English names come with alternative pet forms. Henry/Harry is just one of them. The only one I’ve never quite understood is the name Margaret - which for some reason saw lots of ladies called Margaret in the 1930s to the 1950s, called “Peggy” instead. Peggy wasn’t their legal name, Margaret was. But they used a totally unrelated name because it was just tradition for people called Margaret to be called Peggy.

I don’t think Lady Thatcher ever went down that route of course....[emoji6]

Oh Margaret has so many.... Peggy, meg, Margot, Maggie, Margie... with various spellings of course. I think our lateMargaret Rose liked Margot.

What was the full name of President Harry Truman?

It was Harry S. Truman
The following details are from Wiki..

Harry was after his Uncle Harrison but it was a bit unusual to be called a nick name version, I guess.
S. was after his grandfathers' second names - Solomon and Shipp. It was just a letter S. standing for no actual name - very left of field! Harry S. Truman's parents were quite informal in the way they named their son.

The Harrys of the BRF were named more traditionally.
Harry is the most known nick name for Henry.
Harry is used as a nick name also for Harold, Harrison, Harriet and possibly other names.

On Prince Henry's wedding day, it will be interesting to see how many reporters refer to him as Prince Henry and other reporters refer to him as Prince Harry. How charming to have Harry and Henry at the same wedding!

With various examples of tabloid journalists never getting titles, names and connections right, I'm wondering just how many of them are going to be baffled that they've shown up for the marriage of HRH, Prince Henry of Wales and think they may be in the wrong place. :lol:

I always wondered why Charles and Diana did what they did. From the very first announcement of their second son's name they gave us his full name and title and then announced he would be known as "Harry". I can only imagine that 'Harry' is too informal a name for the future Monarch' s son in the formal documents that will become part of history.

With various examples of tabloid journalists never getting titles, names and connections right, I'm wondering just how many of them are going to be baffled that they've shown up for the marriage of HRH, Prince Henry of Wales and think they may be in the wrong place. :lol:

i can't imagine why anyone would think that...Just because they wrok for tabloid newspapers doesn't mean they are stupid.. they just know that most of their readership aren't that bothered with details, they just want a readable story.

Last edited:
I always wondered why Charles and Diana did what they did. From the very first announcement of their second son's name they gave us his full name and title and then announced he would be known as "Harry". I can only imagine that 'Harry' is too informal a name for the future Monarch' s son in the formal documents that will become part of history.

It's a common practice in the Netherlands (although it seems to be a little less common than before as fewer people want to name their children after family members). So, I've never considered it strange.

In this case they wanted to use the royal name as his official name but would call him differently in daily life. Even our (Dutch) current king and future queen use a different name in daily life than their official name: Alexander (or Alex for short) is what king Willem-Alexander goes by; and Catharina-Amalia is known as Amalia. Of course, in their case they are using the second part of their name but the principle is the same: one name for official occasions and another for daily life.

Another example in the Dutch royal family is prince Maurits' eldest daughter: her formal name is Anastasia but it was announced in the birth announcement that she would be called 'Anna'.

Not sure what, for example, princess Ingrid-Alexandra goes by, I seem to remember that prince Sverre Magnus goes by Magnus instead of Sverre (or Sverre Magnus).

Nicknames are extremely common. Especially when you give a child what we call around here 'an old man name' or 'old woman name'. A name that sounds great for an adult, but a bit mature for a little child. My parents are Marcella and William, though very few people realize it. As many people named William do, my father goes by Bill. My mother was called Sally by her dad as a kid, and has stuck, even uses it professionally.

Many people choose grown up names for their kids knowing when they are adults, it looks more professional. Imagine running for president and your name is Billy Clinton. William or even Bill has a more professional sound. And when the kids are little, choose a more informal calling.

With royals there is more pressure, especially when your kid is the spare, to choose a proper formal name. One with royal heritage. Henry was the proper royal name. But for their small little baby, they called him Harry. It seems the name stuck with him.

Only surprising thing, making an official statement on the calling name.

Harry is the traditional English diminuitive for the French name, Henry, and has been for centuries, since the 1066 Norman Conquest, in fact. It represents English attempts to pronounce Henry (On-ree) which eventually transformed into 'Harry'.

In Shakespeare's play, Henry V, the English king, says -

'Once more unto the breach, dear friends,
Once more,

and concludes his rallying speech with

'Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George'.

and that was in 1599

When he was attending school, did Prince Henry, the future Duke of Gloucester, sign any of his schoolwork as Harry?

Do you mean the late Duke of Gloucester? Im not sure he went to school....

The late Duke of Gloucester was the first son of a reigning monarch to actually attend school - St Peter's Court in Broadstairs and then Eton.

How he signed his work is between him and his teachers but I wouldn't be surprised if is was signed HRH The Prince Henry - his formal name.

Prince Philip - a generation later - signed his work Prince Philip so no need to expect earlier royals not to use their titles.

Many of his school mates would also have had their own titles and used those rather then names per se.

I didn't know that.. I was a lilte confused because I thought this thread was about the present Day Harry,

When he was attending school, did Prince Henry, the future Duke of Gloucester, sign any of his schoolwork as Harry?

Don't know about his homework (frankly imo that is between him and his teachers, as another poster said earlier), but if the question was intended as "was that P.Henry also called Harry": according to wiki he was
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Henry,_Duke_of_Gloucester

I didn't know that.. I was a lilte confused because I thought this thread was about the present Day Harry,

Seeing that this post is in the "Duke and Duchess of Sussex" subforum, i'd say you are 100% right about that ?

:previous: Considering this thread has included people as far back as Henry V, I don't think it has ever been reserved simply for the Duke of Sussex.

Cyril helpfully specified which Henry by using his title :flowers:

Henry of Gloucester was a sickly small child. Like his older brothers he was tutored at home at first. It was his tutor who later suggested it would do him some good to be sent to school. He would go on to Eton. His older brothers went only to the naval academy and later college.His younger brother went to the same school as Henry, but later the naval route.

:previous: than they should change the subforum :lol:

Its mostly about Harry, Duke of Sussex, since I tihnk nowadays people DO ask why he's called Harry when his name is Henry. Other royal Harries have been mentioned but he is the currnet example of the use of the name...

Do you mean the late Duke of Gloucester? Im not sure he went to school....

Denville, I was referring to Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester, the father of Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester and Prince William of Gloucester.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom