Why Harry/Henry??

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol: Hopefully, you are not doing any wishful thinking there. No disrespect intended. I just found that reference funny and mayhap revealing. :whistling:

My mother would be very horrified at the suggestion.

She has more in common with Martha Stewart, actually we jokingly called her the Martha stewart of canada. The double ll in her name tends to come out like a t in her chicken scratch :whistling: and she forgets tha tail on her y.

Maybe we're cousins! Your mom has Canada and my mom had the US with the moniker Sister Mary Vacuum Cleaner.

I kind of like that out and about among people, its Harry and in formal situations its Prince Henry of Wales. It does kind of suit Harry as when he's with the public, he's a very reachable guy and congenial. In formal situations, he's every inch the royal he's been brought up to be. :D

I saw an informal note from Harry to a member of the public years ago on Twitter that was clearly signed Hary (dislexia?)
Perhaps he did that a few times, it was pointed out to him and he became a bit self conscious about his signature and thus made it illegible on purpose. (I believe something similar happened to King Carl Gustav of Sweden.)

Have rules changed so much then? I grew up in Canada (educated in the US) and lived there for 45 years before moving to the United States. I HAD to sign my full legal name on all official documents and cheques, otherwise I got questioned as to why I was signing it by my "nickname". Same when I moved to the US - all official documents and cheques had to be signed using my full legal name - not my nickname.

The birth registry for George and Charlotte list William's full name William Arthur Philip Louis but he only signed them as William. George VI signed Elizabeth's wedding registry as George R and we all know that Albert is first name.

Of course.

He signed as George R because he was King George, the name he took (from his names given at birth) when taking the throne. I don't think anyone ever referred to him as King Albert or King Bertie.

Would it not be interesting that when Prince Henry of Wales' wedding is broadcasted and some reporters refer to him as Prince Henry and some reporters refer to him as Prince Harry, some people actually assume there are two gentlemen: Henry and Harry?

And the tabloids come up with stories that Meghan Markle is having a secret lover on the side ("who's Meghan's mystery-Henry") ?

At the 2012 Olympics the crowd was clearly baffled when 'Prince Henry' was announced.. There was a palpable mystified silence, until 'the penny dropped'...

But he actually his name is Henry. Why does everyone call you Harry? Is it that you like?

His parents announced that he would be known as Harry. So he has used that name his whole life (in a somewhat comparable way, Meghan has always been Meghan). I hope he likes it ;)

Of course.

He signed as George R because he was King George, the name he took (from his names given at birth) when taking the throne. I don't think anyone ever referred to him as King Albert or King Bertie.
The reason he signed as George R was because he was King. The R stands for Rex, Latin for king and Elizabeth R is Regina, Latin for queen.

But at the altar he will say: "I, Henry Charles Albert David, take thee, Rachel Meghan, to be my wedded wife (...)"

Would it not be interesting that when Prince Henry of Wales' wedding is broadcasted and some reporters refer to him as Prince Henry and some reporters refer to him as Prince Harry, some people actually assume there are two gentlemen: Henry and Harry?

I think what’s more likely is people are going to be really confused when it gets to the vows and Harry is identified as Henry Charles Albert David and Meghan’s identified as Rachel Meghan Markle.

But at the altar he will say: "I, Henry Charles Albert David, take thee, Rachel Meghan, to be my wedded wife (...)"
Yes, he will; that's the whole idea behind using a different name than your official names - only on official occasions (wedding or a graduation ceremony) your full (official) name will be used (and of course on any official document).

As an official occasion, their full names will be used. Not sure why you bolded 'Rachel' as she will both say 'Rachel' and 'Meghan' (as is normal practice for anyone with more than one name - anytime your official name is used both your first and second (and third and fourth - as in Harry's case) names are used) - and Harry will not just be called and use 'Henry' but 'Henry Charles Albert David' - I don't think anyone would expect him to use that in daily life :flowers:.

I think what’s more likely is people are going to be really confused when it gets to the vows and Harry is identified as Henry Charles Albert David and Meghan’s identified as Rachel Meghan Markle.
I don't think it is that confusing; Harry and Meghan will be standing upfront, so I am quite sure everyone will understand who they are referring to :lol:

Would Meghan's surname be used? It is common in the Netherlands but I seem to remember that it isn't in the UK. And if so, I would expect it to be used for both...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think so...Ii've not seen a service where last names were used by a officiant.

LaRae

Would Meghan's surname be used? It is common in the Netherlands but I seem to remember that it isn't in the UK. And if so, I would expect it to be used for both...

No. It will be Henry Charles Albert David and Rachel Meghan. No last names for either.

Thanks for the confirmation; that's what I thought it would be!

I don't think it is that confusing; Harry and Meghan will be standing upfront, so I am quite sure everyone will understand who they are referring to :lol:

I see Mr Bean standing up “oops sorry everyone wrong wedding “ as he stubbles up the aisle ha ha

No. It will be Henry Charles Albert David and Rachel Meghan. No last names for either.

Indeed. The only time a last name is said during a wedding ceremony (well regular couple) would be when they are presented for the first time as the new mr and mrs......:flowers: Of course in a royal wedding that is not the ending.

I see Mr Bean standing up “oops sorry everyone wrong wedding “ as he stubbles up the aisle ha ha

Oh sheeesh! Thanks. I needed a really good laugh and there it is. ?

The birth registry for George and Charlotte list William's full name William Arthur Philip Louis but he only signed them as William. George VI signed Elizabeth's wedding registry as George R and we all know that Albert is first name.

So Harry signing as Harry isn't a problem. Google US Presidents signatures half you can't even make out. Check out George W Bush

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._Bush#/media/File:GeorgeWBush_Signature.svg

It doesn't even look like English.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

You should see Nixon's signatures from the mid-seventies.

Why woudl they do that?

Why woudl they do that?

Happens all the time. I remember, I think it was the closing ceremony of the olympics where he was announced as Prince Henry and nobody knew who they were on about.

It all depends on the reporter, David Dimbleby will definitely refer to him by his christian name, where as the likes of ITV reporters, it'll be Harry all the way.

His legal name is Henry. However, he goes by Harry. It's just like if someone's name is Christopher, but goes by Chris.

Indeed. The only time a last name is said during a wedding ceremony (well regular couple) would be when they are presented for the first time as the new mr and mrs......:flowers: Of course in a royal wedding that is not the ending.

Within some cultures - including the British one which is the one being discussed here :flowers:

In cultures where a civil ceremony is required before the religious one, it seems that surnames are typically mentioned. See for example the wedding of the Dutch king and queen (around minute 6).

Some English names come with alternative pet forms. Henry/Harry is just one of them. The only one I’ve never quite understood is the name Margaret - which for some reason saw lots of ladies called Margaret in the 1930s to the 1950s, called “Peggy” instead. Peggy wasn’t their legal name, Margaret was. But they used a totally unrelated name because it was just tradition for people called Margaret to be called Peggy.

I don’t think Lady Thatcher ever went down that route of course....[emoji6]

Some English names come with alternative pet forms. Henry/Harry is just one of them. The only one I’ve never quite understood is the name Margaret - which for some reason saw lots of ladies called Margaret in the 1930s to the 1950s, called “Peggy” instead. Peggy wasn’t their legal name, Margaret was. But they used a totally unrelated name because it was just tradition for people called Margaret to be called Peggy.

I don’t think Lady Thatcher ever went down that route of course....[emoji6]

Margaret was often abbreveited to Meg or Meggy and in earlier times such names (which were very common, there being fewer names in circulation) were also used in a rhyming version.. ie Meg was rhymed with Peg or Peggy. same thng happened with Mary.. it was often abbreviated to Mall or Moll or Molly, and that rhymed with Polly.

My grandmother was a Margaret of Irish descent and went by the name of Maggie.

True, the names that were very common, like Mary, Elizabeth, Margaret, had numerious abbreviations.. Margaret had Maggie, Meg, Margery, Madge, Peggy, Greta or Grittie, Margie, Meta, Rita and Daisy...
and it is very much in Irish culture for people to be known by these abbreviations or sometimes a name they were not even given at christening.. I am never called by my first name.. and sometimes I have to give it as its on my passport, and my pals are amused to hear me being called by it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom