The Duke of Sussex as Co-Founder and Patron of Sentebale

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A cheerful Harry took part in a polo match (the Sentebale Royal Salute Polo Cup) at the prestigious Singapore Polo Club to raise lots of money for his charity Sentebale and its Let Youth Lead campaign. This aims to support and educate vulnerable children and young people living with and affected by HIV/AIDS in Lesotho and Botswana.

Prince Harry hosts a polo match for Sentebale in Singapore | Daily Mail Online

Kensington Palace‏ @KensingtonRoyal 19h19 hours ago
Prince Harry will visit the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine on Monday 10th July.

Kensington Palace‏ @KensingtonRoyal 19h19 hours ago
HRH will hear more about the School's global efforts to tackle HIV and will attend an HIV-focussed roundtable discussion led by @Sentebale.

Court Circular 6th November:
Prince Henry of Wales, Patron, Sentebale, this evening held a Dinner at Kensington Palace.

From The Evening Standard. KP says Harry was never scheduled to attend but seems a lot of people thought so. Harry was hunting in Germany.

Prince Harry was a no-show at his charity Sentebale’s Christmas concert at St Mary Abbots church in Kensington last night. Churchgoers paid £35 for the tickets which featured Harry prominently in the publicity material.

Sentebale, founded by Harry in 2006, cares for children in Lesotho and Botswana affected by HIV. This year the throng at the fundraising carol concert hoped he would come with his plus one, Meghan Markle, but it wasn’t to be.

Eventually St Mary Abbots’ Reverend Gillean Craig said the show must go on. “He was supposed to be here,” he told one of the congregation. “Go on Twitter and ask ‘Where are you?’”

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/lon...as-harry-misses-charity-concert-a3717351.html

From The Evening Standard. KP says Harry was never scheduled to attend but seems a lot of people thought so. Harry was hunting in Germany.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/lon...as-harry-misses-charity-concert-a3717351.html

Most of Harry’s engagement are announced ahead of time by KP unless embargoed. This was never announced and no reason to be embargoed. I’m not sure why people think he was supposed to attend?

And by all accounts, Harry left Germany Saturday afternoon, so one thing had nothing to do with another. Meghan has long been reported to be out of country. Again, I’m not sure where the assumptions come from?

Last edited:
Harry’s attendance at the Van Straubenzee event last week wasn’t announced in advance but he was there.

Reverend Craig said he was supposed to be there.

Harry’s attendance at the Van Straubenzee event last week wasn’t announced in advance but he was there.

Hmm, I thought I heard something about the Van Straubenzee event before, but maybe it wasn't through KP. But regardless, by all reports, Harry flew back Saturday afternoon from Germany. He wasn't hunting at the time of the event.

Sure, he was at the Van Straubenzee event, but he wasn't there in any official capacity (he was trying to be as discreet as possible, as can be seen on pictures). To my understanding, the KP doesn't announce anything done in his own, private time and there was no need to break this rule last week.

There’s been no comment from Sentebale

The disgraced chairman of Carillion is also a boss of Prince Harry’s charity for children living with HIV in southern Africa.

Philip Green, 66, is chairman of the board at Sentebale, the charity founded by the prince during his gap year in Lesotho in 2004.

Mr Green and the Prince were photographed arriving together at the Sentebale Royal Salute Polo Cup at Val de Vie Estate in Paarl, South Africa, in 2015.
Read more: Carillion chairman on board of Prince Harry's charity | Daily Mail Online

I’m not sure why he would comment. Harry has nothing to do with Carillion business and Carillion doesn’t run Sentebale.

Your not sure why Sentebale would comment? The Chairman of its board is one of the most hated business executives in Britain.

If Harry’s smart he’ll give this guy the boot.

Your not sure why Sentebale would comment? The Chairman of its board is one of the most hated business executives in Britain.

If Harry’s smart he’ll give this guy the boot.

As does many other charities and firms. He didn’t bring down Carillion on his own and he certainly doesn’t run those charities and firms by himself. It’s business as usual for them. The board will decide what is best for the Sentebale. The worst thing they can do right now is to make noise and get dragged into all the headlines. All the other boards he sits on aren’t commenting either. Why? Because none of them are trying to be stupid about this.

I’m not sure how much you know about how organization like that is run, but whether he stays or go is up to the board. Harry can’t just go in and fire him.

Sentebale is Harry’s ‘baby’ and he’s so ‘hands on’ say his admirers but as soon as there’s a negative headline it’s all ‘There’s nothing Harry can do, he’s just the founder and Patron’

Green will be lucky if he doesn’t end up in prison.

Sentebale is Harry’s ‘baby’ and he’s so ‘hands on’ say his admirers but as soon as there’s a negative headline it’s all ‘There’s nothing Harry can do, he’s just the founder and Patron’

Green will be lucky if he doesn’t end up in prison.

Harry is hands on as patron and knows the issue the charity supports well. He doesn’t run the charity. They bring in people that are qualified to do so. There is a governing board that will vote to make major decisions as a whole. That’s just how it works. Not one person will have all the power. If any of the other members of royal family has a charity with a scandal on the board, I’d expect the same thing.

Last edited:
In the Uk charities are monitored and regulated by the Charities Commission. If there are any real concerns, they will intervene with the Board.

Harry is not an Executive member of the Charity as far as I recall.

Well if Harry doesn’t run charity then I have a suggestion for people. Don’t heap praise on Harry for the positive stories regarding Sentebale if he’s blameless for having a crook as Chairman.

The next time there’s a feel good story about Sentebale I expect the praise to go to the people running it and not Harry

Well if Harry doesn’t run charity then I have a suggestion for people. Don’t heap praise on Harry for the positive stories regarding Sentebale if he’s blameless for having a crook as Chairman.

The next time there’s a feel good story about Sentebale I expect the praise to go to the people running it and not Harry

The people running it ALWAYS should get praises, as do their dedicated employees. Harry deserves praise for co-founding the charity to help a worthy cause and for his continued support and commitment to this issue. Do you honestly think this would’ve happened without Harry promoting and highlighting this issue? Believe it or not, fundraising is much easier when it gets attention and support like this. At this point, it’s a charity that operates efficiently on its own, and Harry likely doesn’t have to do as much as he did before with it, but let’s not pretend he did any less to start it and get it to the point where it can run on its own. Certain responsibility are given to qualified people because they aren’t Harry or any other royal’s expertise. He focuses on areas he can do well.

And out of curiosity, what kind of “blame” do you thinking Harry should take on? Was the man not qualified when he was brought on as Chariman? Should Harry’s responsibility reach to Carillion business? I’m not sure what they could’ve done unless Sentebale’s funds are misappropriated, which we have no evidence of.

Last edited:
Harry is hands in with Sentebale, yes. Folks are not heaping false praise on him. Even Harry detractors credit him heavily (and Seesio) with turning it around when it floundered and being instrumental to its expansion and success. Him and Seesio are consulted and make decisions in conjunction with the governing board and ED.

Any decision to fire the Chairman would be a joint decision between Harry, Seesio and the board itself. Likely, they are following legal advice right now about not commenting. I imagine what we will see is a quiet parting of the ways soon with no fuss.

Seriously, some posters will do anything to tear down Harry.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, I’m not saying he shouldn’t step down or be voted out. I’m just saying it’s not like Harry can march up to him and fire him. There is a process in place. In this case, Green is likely to step down from these voluntary positions on his own as the time comes since he’s got other more pressing things to worry about in his own life.

I’m sure anytime Sentebale needs help, Harry is happy to step in and help in whatever way he could. But people needs to understand he’s not going to be involved to the point of making every decision himself. He’s obviously good at promoting the organization and its causes and is well connected, however I wouldn’t expect him to be making investment decisions as that isn’t his area of expertise.

Last edited:
It’s pretty amazing when you think about how old Harry was when he started Sentebale and how it’s been there for most of his adulthood now. While Sentebale is running pretty independently on its own now, I’m sure it has a very special place in Harry’s heart.

Court Circular 22nd June:
The Duke of Sussex was received by The King of Lesotho this afternoon at the Royal Residence outside Maseru, Lesotho.

His Royal Highness, Patron, later visited Sentebale’s Mamohato Children’s Centre, Thaba Bosiu.

Court Circular 23rd June:
The Duke of Sussex, Patron, Sentebale, today visited Phelisanong Children’s Centre and subsequently a project in Leribe, Lesotho.

Court Circular 19th July:
The Duke of Sussex, Patron, Sentebale, this afternoon attended a Board Meeting at 136 Sloane Street, London SW1.

Prince Henry is in Amsterdam today.

Today The Duke of Sussex will attend the #AIDS2018 Conference with Youth Advocates from Sentebale's #LetYouthLead programme in southern Africa. Photo cred: @ChrisJack_Getty #BreakingBarriers #BuildingBridges @AIDS_conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom