The Duke of Sussex and The Invictus Games: 2014 and 2016-2018, 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This will indeed be a great disappointment to the athletes and everyone involved, including Harry. However, there's always next year and the IG will come back bigger and better in 2021 I'm sure. With so many events like this falling by the wayside this decision was inevitable, I'm afraid.

It's a shame, but not surprising - the list of sporting events going on as originally planned is pretty much non-existent. It's much better that they take a year off and come back when everyone can fully participate and enjoy themselves ..........

It's a shame but it's the right call. The Olympics need to cancel too.

Not a great surprise but a shame for those participating and those who follow the Games. It's better for everyone's safety.

No real surprise that they were called off but certainly disappointing nonetheless. I feel for the participants and for the organizers who have put so much hard work into making them a wonderful experience for the participants.

There will be many more problems than postponed IG , people are dying,
no one needs to cheer up at any event but be thankful for not having lost too many of their folks, friends, neighbours or colleagues (when a job is still kept).

The music video for Bon Jovi's Unbroken (ft. The Invictus Games Choir)

Prince Harry joined a group of former Invictus Games competitors on a Zoom call this week.
The team recently took part in the At Home Superhero Tri, a sporting event for disabled people organized by Superhero Series powered by Marvel.

Last edited:
It was good to see Harry on zoom chatting with some of the Invictus members updating everyone on their current At Home Superhero Tri challenge, keeping the spirit alive. Plans for Invictus 2021 May 29th - June 5th. I don't know, will it still be at The Hague? We can all be inspired to stay healthy maintaining a routine of outdoor (or indoor) physical activity.

No matter what is going on in all other aspects of Harry's life, when it comes to the Invictus Games, this is something I believe Harry is passionate about and sinks his heart and soul into. As of now, to me, its the epitome and the pinnacle of who Harry really is and I don't see that going away any time soon.

The Invictus may need to change. I doubt there will be a games next year. And as it isn't a bedded in games organisation and as charities are not as wealthy as they were and there has to be cuts. I don't see it happening in it's current form ever again. They may have to diversify how it reaches people. Such a great focus for people but there are other ways to achieve that then having a big games.

The Invictus may need to change. I doubt there will be a games next year. And as it isn't a bedded in games organisation and as charities are not as wealthy as they were and there has to be cuts. I don't see it happening in it's current form ever again. They may have to diversify how it reaches people. Such a great focus for people but there are other ways to achieve that then having a big games.

Actually, the Invictus Games are a stand alone foundation with its own governance, partners and has pretty much run itself since its conception. Harry is the patron. It was nestled under The Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and The Duke and Duchess of Sussex as an incentive of Harry's until that household split. I don't see why Harry would not continue as its patron even though he's no longer a working royal for the "Firm". Like Sentebale with Prince Seeiso, the Games are his incentive alone.

The Invictus Games are strong enough, IMO, to grow and prosper on its own and is pretty self independent.

https://invictusgamesfoundation.org/foundation/

Actually, the Invictus Games are a stand alone foundation with its own governance, partners and has pretty much run itself since its conception. Harry is the patron. It was nestled under The Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and The Duke and Duchess of Sussex as an incentive of Harry's until that household split. I don't see why Harry would not continue as its patron even though he's no longer a working royal for the "Firm". Like Sentebale with Prince Seeiso, the Games are his incentive alone.

The Invictus Games are strong enough, IMO, to grow and prosper on its own and is pretty self independent.

https://invictusgamesfoundation.org/foundation/

I can't be bothered reading the website but how do they make money? Sales?

Either way that isn't looking good over the next year or so.

I briefly had a look. No indication how they make cash. And their is a.donate.section.

The partners can,and may, pull out. It will be time to hunker down over the next while.

Last edited:
I think its a good project but with the world in crisis, charities are struggling for funding. Harry is only the patron, and while I thank its something he cares a lot about, he's not involved in running it.

I can't be bothered reading the website but how do they make money? Sales?

Either way that isn't looking good over the next year or so.

I briefly had a look. No indication how they make cash. And their is a.donate.section.

The partners can,and may, pull out. It will be time to hunker down over the next while.

The entire planet is so impacted by covid it really is difficult to know what a year from now looks like. Perhaps several local team building Invictus ventures spread out over time promoting the same goals vs one big stadium size crowded event over several days. Every time I leave the covid safety net of our home which is rare these days I'm reminded how different our world is becoming. It was great to see Harry interacting with the Invictus members. I can't decide from that one video if Harry has changed alot, perhaps a bit more serious, a few less big smiles.

To my knowledge there's a law in the Netherlands banning large public gatherings until an effective vaccine has been found. Because of that Invictus and Eurovision Song Contest are still unsure to happen.

Last edited:
Harry has been passionate about the Invictus Games for a very long time. It was his idea to have an international competition of maimed and wounded ex veterans and it was his enthusiasm that drove its beginnings. He isn't just the Patron, he's been very involved with the aims and dreams of these competitors, and it will be good to see the Invictus Games once more.

Harry has been passionate about the Invictus Games for a very long time. It was his idea to have an international competition of maimed and wounded ex veterans and it was his enthusiasm that drove its beginnings. He isn't just the Patron, he's been very involved with the aims and dreams of these competitors, and it will be good to see the Invictus Games once more.

They may need to diversify intimate local and regional events. It is diversify or die at the moment.

I don't think we will see games for a long while and the organisation needs to change or like I said die.and operate independently of Harry.

To my knowledge there's a law in the Netherlands banning large public gatherings until an effective vaccine has been found. Because of that Invictus and Eurovision Song Contest are still unsure to happen.

No, there isn't a law stating that. It has been presented at one of the press conferences as the most likely way going forward but so far it has just been an announcement as part of the reopening plan but not a law. They are still working on the 'temporary law' to replace the 'emergency ordinances' - but the temporary law has a time limit of 6 months and can be extended by 3 months (each time) if needed; so, for now it wouldn't cover any activities next spring/summer.

They may need to diversify intimate local and regional events. It is diversify or die at the moment.

I don't think we will see games for a long while and the organisation needs to change or like I said die.and operate independently of Harry.

It does operate independently of Harry. he's sympathetic but he is not invovled at a day to day level...

It does operate independently of Harry. he's sympathetic but he is not invovled at a day to day level...

As in show up for the big occasion. He doesn't need to go to the events. Like put thr needs of the participants aheadnofnhis for publicity. He did a good thing setting it up. But he too is getting publicity for turning up to the games

The thing is that if you've ever seen Harry at an Invictus Games, you'd be convinced that he's not just there for the photo op and the publicity. He works through the years with the organization closely although he's part of their governing body as the Patron, the board of directors (if anyone wonders where ELF has gone, he's listed as a Trustee in the governance of the Invictus Games still) are those that do the day to day grunt work. Harry is committed to this venture and its my opinion that he sees each and every one of those that participate in these Games as his comrade in arms.

The Invictus Games weren't actually intended to be games that happened on a regular basis when they started out in London in 2014 but the success of the games, the wonderful things they've accomplished for the participants and their families and the draw it had for the people was just so overwhelmingly successful that the games just grew.. and grew.. and grew.

They could do very, very well without Harry as Patron should they deem that's the way they want to go. I don't think that will happen. Its not about Harry at all. Its focus has always been on the participants themselves. Its blatantly shown just looking at the logo for the Invictus Games. Within those words are highlighted two words. "I AM".

The games may be affected from here on out because of the pandemic but, as we've seen, they're not standing still and idle. As long as there are conflicts and men and women serving their country in them and making the sacrifices that come along with these conflicts, there will be the Invictus Games in some form or the other. Its not about Harry's involvement with these games, its about the people that are the meat and potatoes of the Games themselves.

:previous:

That’s what makes me very sad. It is obvious that this is something Harry cares about and wants to see succeed. However, IMO, the H&M brand is fast becoming so toxic that I’m afraid the Invictus Games will have no choice but to distance themselves from them to survive and thrive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sincerely hope that Harry can continue to be involved in the Invictus Games. Imho it would probably be the best option for him to fully concentrate his efforts on both the Invictus Games and Sentabale; organizations that he had an important part in starting and for years have been close to his heart. This is probably not the best time for all kinds of new adventures but consolidation of what he has been working on and that were very much 'Harry' and not just BRF.

Several off-topic posts have been removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom