The Duke of Sussex and The Invictus Games: 2014 and 2016-2018, 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Primce Harry knew about the Dutch habit to kiss three times: smak-smak-smak with Princess Margriet.
Ugh! What a minefield Europeans create when they visit NZ. We Kiwi's are pretty laid back and for a close friend or relative we may hug but kisses . . . not so much.

My niece's in-laws are Dutch and from the first day, it was kissing. I can never remember whether it was left, right, left or right, left, right. Then there are those from other kissing countries who do the double and the UK where it mostly seems to be one and I still don't know which side comes first. :bang:

Court Circular 9th May:
Kensington Palace

The Duke of Sussex, Patron, Invictus Games Foundation, this morning departed Heathrow Airport, London, for the Netherlands.

His Royal Highness later attended an Invictus Games the Hague 2020 Open Training Session at Zuiderpark, the Hague.

The Duke of Sussex this afternoon attended the official launch of Invictus Games the Hague 2020 at Zuiderpark.

His Royal Highness afterwards attended an Invictus Games the Hague 2020 Reception for competitors at Restaurant Parkoers, Zuiderpark.

The Duke of Sussex later arrived at Heathrow Airport, London, from the Netherlands.
Ms Heather Wong and Ms Sara Latham were in attendance.

My niece's in-laws are Dutch and from the first day, it was kissing. I can never remember whether it was left, right, left or right, left, right. Then there are those from other kissing countries who do the double and the UK where it mostly seems to be one and I still don't know which side comes first. :bang:

I’m not really sure if I know. It just happens ya know.. I think it’s left right left though. [emoji848]

Glad to see that Harry met Princess Margriet and was able to complete his mission at The Hague, for Invictus, his other baby!

I got the impression that he didn't know who she was at first.

I got the impression that he didn't know who she was at first.

yes, mine too. He definitely is not so much in that "royal thing" business...:whistling:. Harry always seems to be much easier with the "normal" people he meets and seems to pay much more attention to them and not so much to other Royals. I observed this when I saw him in Tonga or when he met Pr. Joachim in Copenhagen, too.
At least he gave Margriet an affectionate kiss when she presented him with these rompers...;)

Last edited:
He definitely didn't know who Princess Margriet was when he arrived, that seems like he was a little unprepared IMO. I guess he was distracted by the baby being born.

He definitely didn't know who Princess Margriet was when he arrived, that seems like he was a little unprepared IMO. I guess he was distracted by the baby being born.

I think he knew who she was. Before engagements like these members of the royal family are very well instructed and prepared for who they´ll meet. But I was very much surprised he didn´t shake hands with her first, as Prss Margriet obviously was his official hostess in The Hague.... Even if he didn´t realise who she was, isn´t it absolutely natural to greet a lady first and then the men after her...?!

Apart from that I observe H. when meeting foreign Royals to be little impressed. Other Royals instantly seem to switch their focus onto their counterparts, obviously for reasons of politeness, while Prince Harry never seems to do that.

Last edited:
I think you are right. And, from the body language, she told him and then verbally pulled him in for the "family/royal" three tap kiss. I interestingly he seemed utterly biddable and she made him feel at ease.

Do guys suffer from Baby Brain?

I can imagine Harry probably does know who Princess Margriet is, as IIRC HM is friendly with Princess Beatrix, so I can imagine that Harry would probably be familiar with Margriet through that - and as others have said, probably forgot for a split second due to having had a big, life changing event happen to him recently! I can't imagine his staff wouldn't notify him of who she is and her involvement with Invitcus beforehand as that would be very poor form IMO.

Court Circular 13th June:
Kensington Palace

The Duke of Sussex, Patron, Invictus Games Foundation, this morning attended a Board Meeting at Great Dover Street, London SE1.

So nice to see them out tonight at a charity event!!

LaRae

The Duke of Sussex and The Invictus Games: 2014 and 2016-2018

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex attend the Yankees vs Red Sox Baseball match in honour of the Invictus Games in London.

Meghan is accompanied Henry on all of the afternoons engagements.

“Meghan is accompanying Harry for all of today’s activities:
- Meeting the @RedSox and @Yankees in their clubhouses
- A reception with former UK and US @WeAreInvictus competitors
- Accompaning the competitors as they throw out the first pitch
- Watching the #LondonSeries* game!”

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex receive jerseys for baby Archie;

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex attend the Yankees vs Red Sox Baseball match in honour of the Invictus Games in London.

Meghan is accompanied Henry on all of the afternoons engagements.

“Meghan is accompanying Harry for all of today’s activities:
- Meeting the @RedSox and @Yankees in their clubhouses
- A reception with former UK and US @WeAreInvictus competitors
- Accompaning the competitors as they throw out the first pitch
- Watching the #LondonSeries* game!”

Lovely to see them again.

Archie got mini jerseys from both teams. So cute. Didn’t realize this was an Invictus event.

Archie got mini jerseys from both teams. So cute. Didn’t realize this was an Invictus event.

Apparently it is. Accdg to Omid, there was a reception that happened for former UK and US Invictus competitors.

Here's a short clip too.

Here's one more photo with Meghan giggling while holding an Archie shirt. SO CUTE

Last edited by a moderator:
The MLB became an official IG partner this year. Big get for IG. Hence why Harry is attending the game (with Meg).

What fun all around! Baseball and some of my favorite royals. Not a bad saturday of royal watching

How nice to see them out and about and enjoying themselves. Being American, I can imagine that Meghan is no stranger to the "boys of summer" and baseball games.

Its good to see them both there together and enjoying themselves away from the everyday life as new parents. New mothers do need breaks like this sometimes for their own sanity. :D

I was so happy to hear that MLB has joined the Invictus Games as a partner this year. These games are growing bigger and better and getting more and more support as the years roll by.

This is one of Harry's most successful endeavors and one he cares so deeply about that it must feel like his heart is about to jump out of his chest with pride as these games gain more and more momentum. Gotta love it!

I was so happy to hear that MLB has joined the Invictus Games as a partner this year. These games are growing bigger and better and getting more and more support as the years roll by.

This is one of Harry's most successful endeavors and one he cares so deeply about that it must feel like his heart is about to jump out of his chest with pride as these games gain more and more momentum. Gotta love it!

That's so true. It's lovely that its getting the reception and support it deserves. In 5 years, we can see how it's growing. Kudos to the Duke and the men and women behnd Invictus.

Previous Invictus games competitors from the US and the UK will throw the first ceremonial pitch.

Nice to see the Sussexes out for this event. I don't think Meghan was expected. A lovely surprise. Omid Scobie was the only royal reporter that tweeted this that I saw (I guess the other RRs were too busy with other things). DM has a big splash.

The Kindom Choir sang the US national anthem today.

Nice to see the Sussexes out for this event. I don't think Meghan was expected. A lovely surprise. Omid Scobie was the only royal reporter that tweeted this that I saw (I guess the other RRs were too busy with other things). DM has a big splash.

HELLO had an article out earlier about it. And Emily Nash actually tweeted out the article before Omid wrote the tweet.

Good point, Rudolph. I'll stick to this thread. ?

Another thing that really impresses me with Major League Baseball joining as a partner with the Invictus Games is that it is a clear recognition of the spirit of competition of the Invictus Games in sports as being a legitimate and worth the recognition of being "a league of their own". Perhaps the spirit of the Invictus Games will even rub off on professional teams a wee bit. I think Harry said it best describing the IG and its spirit when he said:

“These Games have shone a spotlight on the ‘unconquerable’ character of servicemen and women, their families and the ‘invictus’ spirit. These Games have been about seeing guys sprinting for the finish line and then turning round to clap the last man in. They have been about teammates choosing to cross the line together, not wanting to come second, but not wanting the other guys to either. These Games have shown the very best of the human spirit.”
HRH The Duke of Sussex, Patron of the Invictus Games Foundation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom