The Duke of Sussex and The Invictus Games: 2014 and 2016-2018, 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mind how tactile they are with each other. It's rather charming to see IMO. I don't think it's excessive.

LaRae

I think engagements like today show Meghan does have a lot to learn. Being an actress doesn’t equal being comfortable as a royal.

It was a good idea to get Meghan out and about before marriage to get her some experience. It’s still early days.

Not sure what you mean here. Meghan's fashion is one thing and we can agree to disagree on her style choices. But, in terms of interacting with the public and showing a genuine interest in the organizations they meet on engagements, I think she's killed it since day 1. Especially considering day 1 was literally 4 days after their engagement announcement.

It seems to me that she is perfectly well behaved for the occasion. Of course they hold each other, they are in love !!!!

Not sure what you mean here. Meghan's fashion is one thing and we can agree to disagree on her style choices. But, in terms of interacting with the public and showing a genuine interest in the organizations they meet on engagements, I think she's killed it since day 1. Especially considering day 1 was literally 4 days after their engagement announcement.

I disagree. For me and I realise our opinions are subjective, but for me Meghan seems awkward it some pictures and videos. It’s like she’s either out of place or doesn’t know what to do.

As I stated in my previous post, it’s early days, and I’m glad Harry is giving Meghan an introduction to royal life.

This event was probably the most impressed I was with Meghan. This event was full of people Harry was quite familiar with and it showed. She managed to mingle and not look intimated despite being the odd one out at times. It could have been pretty awkward but she just went about showing her confidence in her new role.

She is still learning and will continue to grow with each engagement. I am glad they have all been quite different so she can really get a broad look at her new life. By the time IG rolls around again she will be in a different place as well. Nice engagement.

The showing the ring off in the beginning is annoying, but I'm glad she's dressed appropriately (no torn jeans, logo T-shirt, flat shoes) and that she's not clinging to Harry for dear life, so points for improvement.

What do you mean? :huh: I saw no showing of her ring. Is there another video?

Last edited:
I didn’t see her showing off her ring but I did see the ring and it looked very loose. My thoughts were get that ring resized

I think engagements like today show Meghan does have a lot to learn. Being an actress doesn’t equal being comfortable as a royal.

It was a good idea to get Meghan out and about before marriage to get her some experience. It’s still early days.

She seems quite comfortable to me. And based on all the accounts we’ve had from people that we were there, they seem to think she’s comfortable too. Now, wasn’t she criticized at the Foundation forum by some as being TOO comfortable in sharing her opinion?

She's lost an awful lot of weight lately all round. And yes the ring looks loose though so long as it doesn't slip over Meghan's knuckle it should be all right. There'll be a wedding ring keeping it in place soon enough!

Btw I thought Meghan interacted well with the vets and others she met yesterday. Everyone seemed pleased to see her, she chatted and laughed with those she met. No sign of awkwardness at all that I could see. And she wasn't pushing herself on to people. Everyone seemed delighted to talk with both her and Harry.

I think Meghan has a good instinct on when to hold back a bit, and when to be more sociable, more open and forward, for the lack of better word. Emily Andrews complimented her on that, I think during the Birmingham visit, too, she knows when to learn and listen. I didn't see any awkwardness during this visit, at least the clips I saw.

Lets not forget this is on the job training and IMHO Meghan has shown she is ready and eager to work. People she has met mention that she knows who they are beforehand and she clearly does her homework. Like all newbies she will make mistakes, she will handle awkward moments but what is clear about MM is she learns quickly.

Also the very experienced royals make mistakes. That's very hard to be (completely) avoided.

Also the very experienced royals make mistakes. That's very hard to be (completely) avoided.

I've read in a couple places that the Queen actually gets a kick out of things going wrong sometimes. It detracts from the everyday, boring and repetitious rote of events and brightens things up a little bit. Philip could always be counted on to throw something in the mix to stir things up. :D

What do you mean? :huh: I saw no showing of her ring. Is there another video?

Interesting, since I felt a certain tiredness (subdued energy) which may well be the case, given the recent flights to and from LA and then all the wedding preparations. So much pressure, especially on her. Cannot be easy. They need to have a pre-wedding vacation. ;)

But then, it could also be because I am tired today. Ha! ? I am.

Why yes, actually, there were a number of videos. Here's the one I'm referring to for your elucidation. https://itnproductions.com/news/vid...s-a-ball-at-seated-volleyball-trials?type=raw

The moment she walks into the gymnasium she has that ring on parade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why yes, actually, there were a number of videos. Here's the one I'm referring to for your elucidation. https://itnproductions.com/news/vid...s-a-ball-at-seated-volleyball-trials?type=raw

That's an interpretation. :flowers: I wouldn't interpret the way she was holding her arm/hand as Meghan's attempt to show off a very small ring to a gymnasium of people. When you said what you did I assumed she was showing the ring to a cluster of people around her.

Curious: if she was in fact attempting to show off her engagement ring (which I don't think she was but if she was) why would that be a bad thing? Why a negative? :ermm:

I wouldn't say that it was Meghan flashing the ring but rather the photographer with the interest in the ring. If you watch the engagement video, the camera pans and tries to get close ups of the ring. Why? Because its of interest to the people watching the video. Everyone was curious about the engagement ring. The press gives the public what they want to see. That's a fact. :D

Last edited:
:previous: Oh don't you know she should have her hands shoved in her pockets or crossed and tucked under each other. The very fact that her arm is at all visible, and hand, she is flashing her ring.:whistling:

Yes, when Meghan puts her hand on other people's shoulders momentarily, she is showing off the ring to the world.

Putting her hair back behind her ears? Perfect opportunity to show everyone within a two mile radius that she has a ring a prince placed on her finger.

Not to mention when Meghan shakes hands, after doing so that ring is on display. What a show-off! Perhaps she should wear mittens, even indoors.

I wouldn't say that it was Meghan flashing the ring but rather the photographer with the interest in the ring. If you watch the engagement video, the camera pans and tries to get close ups of the ring. Why? Because its of interest to the people watching the video. Everyone was curious about the engagement ring. The press gives the public what they want to see. That's a fact. :D

One thing we don't do here is throw snide remarks at other posters. We try and be respectful and courteous to each other and have discussions with people that have opposing points of view. I may disagree with what you say but I respect your right to your own opinion.

The camera was focused in her direction showing her entire body, it was not focused on the ring. She had her hand out, dangling it, which I found annoying.

Last edited:
I would imagine that it was entirely a natural stance. Some people stand dangling their hands, others don't. Perhaps Meghan is extremely proud of her engagement ring. She probably is. But, like other women who have become engaged to members of royal families, not every gesture of Meghan's is a deliberate attempt to hog cameras, get attention from others, show off or put the focus on engagement rings.

The camera was focused in her direction showing her entire body, it was not focused on the ring. She had her hand out, dangling it, which I found annoying.

Reminds me of a quote by Abraham Lincoln. "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." :D

I thought the initial post meant, that she showed her ring to certain group of people. But her simply holding her arm in front of her stomach and moving her hair out of her face was 'her showing off her ring'. Just no. Her hand and arm are part of her body, she can't keep her left hand in her pocket or tucked away at all times. The ring will be on show, because it's permanently on her finger. That doesn't mean she's showing it off. This imho shows, how her every movement can easily be picked apart and turned into a negative thing,

I suspect Kate constantly using her left hand (with that huge ring on it) to touch her hair is her showing off her ring as well. Only royal I haven't seen using hand positions to show off her ring is Camilla.

I suspect Kate constantly using her left hand (with that huge ring on it) to touch her hair is her showing off her ring as well. Only royal I haven't seen using hand positions to show off her ring is Camilla.

Even Camilla does. Honestly most royal women likely flash their engagement ring, not on purpose. I know if I had a ring on, I likely would, as I often do things like adjusting my hair, with my left hand (even though right handed). If you look at photos of Camilla. Even the queen does. Often when you see her at racing events, she has her hand up next to her chin, and her engagement ring is flashing for all to see (or when she adjusts her glasses).

Yes indeed, Kate does it, I find it especially annoying when she does it because it seems so overt sometimes. It's a posing thing, it's artificial JMO

Even Camilla does. Honestly most royal women likely flash their engagement ring, not on purpose. I know if I had a ring on, I likely would, as I often do things like adjusting my hair, with my left hand (even though right handed). If you look at photos of Camilla. Even the queen does. Often when you see her at racing events, she has her hand up next to her chin, and her engagement ring is flashing for all to see (or when she adjusts her glasses).

Exactly, they all do. I love when Max does it because I love her ring (and almost all of her bijou). Mathilde does it a lot, it looks really stiff and not graceful when she does it IMO. I think that's the thing, it has to be done with grace and finesse, not smacking you upside the head with it :D

Exactly, they all do. I love when Max does it because I love her ring (and almost all of her bijou). Mathilde does it a lot, it looks really stiff and not graceful when she does it IMO. I think that's the thing, it has to be done with grace and finesse, not smacking you upside the head with it :D

The point is they are not doing it intentionally. They are simply using their left hand and their ring is on their left hand. Its not a deliberate attempt to flash the jewel to cameras.

The point is they are not doing it intentionally. They are simply using their left hand and their ring is on their left hand. Its not a deliberate attempt to flash the jewel to cameras.

But that's where I disagree, especially in the case of Kate, I think she does it on purpose, maybe because she thinks people want to see it. Maybe that's why Meghan (IMO) was doing it, too, so people could see it.

I thought she was being careful she didn’t lose it because it’s now too big holding her finger upright

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom