The Duke of Sussex and The Invictus Games: 2014 and 2016-2018, 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
An unbelievable thunder and lightening storm is taking place over Sydney at the moment.

Thank goodness, no wind, and although everything will be soaked for tonight, it could be more destructive than it is.

But what a show.

There was a red dawn this morning and the day was so warm - shouldn't be a suprise.

Total blackout of any view - but gradually turning grey and moving south.

Haven't had a storm like this for a years - and it's usually a summer thing.

Photos of the storm front that crossed Sydney during the last hour -

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...e5D9B_R0QixZoVAxbebwJWbsErpR5Bflxc6nEwgptBoJV

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/...00000578-6297385-image-a-20_1540020738341.jpg

Last edited:
Opening Ceremony delayed while checks are made following the storm.

The Army is wiping down all the wet chairs. The stage is in the shape of a boomerang for ease of access.

Harry and Meghan travelled by car to the Opera House instead of the original plan of taking a boat across from Admiralty House.

Last edited:
On the ABC they are saying the ceremony has been delayed by 30 minutes

Once again a special thanks to Sun Lion for your tireless coverage. :flowers:

And an additional thank you to everybody else. No one mentioned, no one left out. :flowers:

Thoroughly enjoyed the opening ceremony. Prince Harry's speech was very uplifting.

Yes, I think Harry suffers from nerves more often than we suspect. He is heart and soul with these veterans, however, so he did it. It's all been very inspiring and uplifting, in spite of the horrendous storm beforehand.

Top notch opening ceremony! Each year is more and more polished and professional. I loved the inclusion of Aboriginal culture. I am also glad that they still did a parade of nations of sorts even though
they had to adjust last minute.

I really love that they are also turning the spotlight on the work families do to love and support vets and also broadening the conversation even more to ways we can respect and normalize disability.

As for Harry? Well done. His speech was heartfelt, well delivered and the perfect length. The competitors have so much love for him and he for them. It is a beautiful thing to see.

Meghan was one proud wife!

After the storm, there comes a calm. It must’ve been a bit nerve wracking wondering if they would be able to get the opening ceremony started, I’m so glad that everything went well. It was a wonderful opening ceremony! Prince Harry’s speech was heartfelt & inspiring!

It is lovely that Harry has Meghan by his side, you can tell that they are so supportive of each other. I wish the awesome competitors & all those who are supporting them, the very best! I’m really looking forward to watching the games & following the tour.

I woke up just in time to catch the ceremony. I loved it. I particularly loved Harry's speech. A huge shout out to DMAN for posting the link where we could watch it on YouTube. My favourite part besides the speech was seeing how amped up these military service members were for the games to start.

Amazing opening ceremony. Harry achievement with the IG is just... no words. What a legacy he has created.

At what time starts the morning engagement for Harry & Meghan? They are going to see some of the IG right?

I've been able to watch most of the opening ceremony for the 2108 Invictus Games and I've come away from that with a realization that has been floating around in my head but hasn't really been that apparent until this year's Games.

This is all about so much more than a global sports competition. In fact, I'm going to relegate the competitions to being part of the base foundation of what the Games are really about. Just as it was Harry's brain child that the games ever came into being, there is so much more to it that has really fueled the growth and the popularity of these Games as the years go by.

Its all about the unconquerable human spirit. Its all about embracing each other and being a family and coming together with a purpose. Its all about facing challenges and finding positives out of negatives. Its all about a whole lot of "Ds" as in dedication, desire, discipline, diligence, determination and devotion. Each and every participant is a winner before any competition even starts. Its a stage for everyone that comes into knowledge of these Games can know and show their appreciation and give thanks to those that have served to protect each and every one of us and our families. It transcends geographic boundaries and unites us as the residents of our Earth. Its a whole lot of hugging, huge smiles and pride and joy and accomplishments big and small.

Most importantly, to me, it shows that from beginning to end, it amplifies not only that I AM but also highlights that together, WE ARE.

They have time for a good sleep in this Sunday morning. Then lunch with the PM and assorted others.

David Beckham due to arrive today.

On the Harbour this afternoon to watch the sailing.
Thats all I can remember them saying.

Today's schedule.

Omid Scobie

Verified account

@scobie
23m23 minutes ago

Day 7 and we’re kicking off with the @InvictusSydney Road Cycling event at the Royal Botanic Gardens. The Duke and Duchess will then:
- Attend a lunch at The Pavilion hosted by @ScottMorrisonMP for Invictus competitors/family/friends
- Watch the Sailing event at Farm Cove⛵

So they will attend the Road Cycling event in the morning right? Since it's sunday, their itinerary looks more soft, and they deserve it, it's been non-stop days packed with activities.

Today's schedule.

Omid Scobie

Verified account

@scobie
23m23 minutes ago

Day 7 and we’re kicking off with the @InvictusSydney Road Cycling event at the Royal Botanic Gardens. The Duke and Duchess will then:
- Attend a lunch at The Pavilion hosted by @ScottMorrisonMP for Invictus competitors/family/friends
- Watch the Sailing event at Farm Cove⛵

Thats great. Thank you for that. I am only just going off what I hear on the telly.

One more.

Mad About Meghan

@MadAboutMeghan
Following Following @MadAboutMeghan
More
In addition to today's scheduled engagements, Australian media outlets report, the Duke and Duchess will attend a private reception for the Invictus Games Foundation at Government House, hosted by the Governor of New South Wales this evening. No word on if we'll see photos.

3:57 PM - 20 Oct 2018

Once again a special thanks to Sun Lion for your tireless coverage. :flowers:

And an additional thank you to everybody else. No one mentioned, no one left out. :flowers:

No problem Muhler. I'm on the lookout for Frederik for you! :lol:

At what time starts the morning engagement for Harry & Meghan? They are going to see some of the IG right?

Some details here kathia_sophia.

They'll actually be on an Invictus family and friends boat to watch the sailing.

And lucky for the Pavillion to be able to host them - I've done their takeway sandwiches when not carrying my own from home on some days in that area. :lol:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...les-packed-schedule-Day-1-Invictus-Games.html

The Pavillion and it's food -

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Rest...ationId=101&albumid=101&filter=7&ff=211343376

Last edited:
Here she is! She does look more rested than yesterday.

Lizzie Robinson

Verified account

@LizzieITV
Follow Follow @LizzieITV
More
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex meet @InvictusSydney competitors and their friends and family during a reception #RoyalVisitAustralia #IG2018

Lizzie Robinson

Verified account

@LizzieITV
Follow Follow @LizzieITV
More
Harry and Meghan spent time with children from the Australian Kookaburra Kids Foundation during the reception #IG2018

I feel like there are a lot more events this year and IG is being tied to it, but not necessarily just IG. I don't remember so many events hosted by Canadian government last year. There is another one tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like there are a lot more events this year and IG is being tied to it, but not necessarily just IG. I don't remember so many events hosted by Canadian government last year. There is another one tonight.

Maybe because this yr he is on tour and last yr he was in Canada just for IG (and being with MM) :lol:

Maybe because this yr he is on tour and last yr he was in Canada just for IG (and being with MM) :lol:

Well, I obviously expected more official events, but I just didn't realize how many of them are being tied into IG.

David and Victoria and all their kids have been spotted at Bondi.

(I just thought you would all want to know that. :lol:)

And Harry and Meghan also hold hands in private, not just when on official duties.

Walking back up to the house after being off-loaded from the sailing event this afternoon.

A big question - why haven't Oz media dubbed them "Snugglepot" and "Cuddlepie" yet.

(Iconic Oz children's book characters, non-Oz posters.)

https://imageresizer.static9.net.au...~/media/ea876a3cec264ef8b86fa4a9da7a07d8.ashx

Last edited:
Yes snugglepot and cuddlepie would suit them.
Just saw on the news a USA competitors boat move up to Harrys boat. A really Big guy stepped onto Harry's boat and gave him a big bear hug. Then he spotted Meghan and leaned over to give her a hug. Lovely.

Last edited:
Yes snugglepot and cuddlepie would suit them.
Just saw on the news a USA competitors boat move up to Harrys boat. A really Big guy stepped onto Harry's boat and gave him a big bear hug. Then he spotted Meghan and leaned over to give her a hug. Lovely.

Did you see Harry’s reaction when he went to hug Meghan after he lifted Harry up. Harry was afraid he was going to do the same to Meghan and the baby. :lol:

No I didn't see Harrys reaction. The footage I saw was long distance from a helicopter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom