The Duke of Sussex and The Invictus Games: 2014 and 2016-2018, 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Simply because both couples will attend Invictus does not guarantee that the couples will meet or have any engagements together but rather that Fred and Mary are simply there to support danish athletes at a few events.

Many royal families attended the London Olympics to support their athletes but there were not many interactions between the foreign royals and the BRF. In fact just one casual meeting between Carl Philip, Prince Daniel and some members of the BRF was caught on camera.

I would love for them to meet and have an engagement together but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't interact.

:previous:

Okay, did KP or someone in authority announce that this is a *fact* of Mary and Frederick going to the games in Australia or could it be something that the DF made up? Are we getting over excited about nothing here........as to whom does what to whom and when.....as usual! :lol:

Okay, did KP or someone in authority announce that this is a *fact* of Mary and Frederick going to the games in Australia or could it be something that the DF made up? Are we getting over excited about nothing here........as to whom does what to whom and when.....as usual! :lol:

Seems more like an educated guess, as in: Frederik showed interest in these Games in the past -if I remember correctly- and Mary is from Australia. So when the Invictus Games are in Australia and a Danish team is participating they surely will go...

Last edited:
If my memory is actually working today and didn't take the holiday weekend off, back last October when Harry had a 2 day visit to Denmark, both he and Fred were out and about doing various things among them visiting Danish athletes that have participated in the Invictus Games.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least that both Fred and Mary would be at the Invictus Games in Sydney and perhaps spend some time there with Harry and Meghan.

Other than that, I would think the official tour part of the down under trip would be pretty well planned out ahead of time of what Harry and Meghan will do and I would seriously doubt that the Danish CP couple would be involved.

If my memory is actually working today and didn't take the holiday weekend off, back last October when Harry had a 2 day visit to Denmark, both he and Fred were out and about doing various things among them visiting Danish athletes that have participated in the Invictus Games.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least that both Fred and Mary would be at the Invictus Games in Sydney and perhaps spend some time there with Harry and Meghan.

Other than that, I would think the official tour part of the down under trip would be pretty well planned out ahead of time of what Harry and Meghan will do and I would seriously doubt that the Danish CP couple would be involved.

Harry met with Joachim during his visit. Frederik was attending the royal funeral in Thailand.

Frederik has done various events with the Invictus teams this year and past years, and attended the Invictus games in London
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/4d/87/17/4d87170c2b4da719b496832df46d108d.jpg :flowers:

It would be nice if he attended the games in Sydney but so far its speculation nothing confirmed so far

Looks like my memory did step out for the weekend. I've been corrected both by my sister and now by Polyesco that it was in fact Joachim and not Fred that Harry met with while he was in Denmark. Hope my memory has a good time this weekend. :lol:

I actually take the Telegraph as being a reputable source of information. It really doesn't matter though in the long run. It would be nice to see them there along with perhaps even more foreign dignitaries supporting the Invictus Games and their country's athletes.

It does seem that each occurrence of the Invictus Games that are held, they get bigger, better and receive more attention. I do hope this continues to snowball as the years pass.

My only concern about Fred and Mary attending the Invictus games is that if Harry and Meghan continue on their tour during the Invictus games and can't spend as much time at the games. I expect to see many articles on how Fred and Mary spent more time at the Games than Harry and Meghan but to be fair I am already expecting articles like that saying the beckhams spent more time at the games than the Sussex.

It would be lovely to see the royal couples interact.

I do believe the Invictus games will grow beyond just Harry in a few years times and though it will always mean a lot to Harry and he will always be involved in it. I definitely do see a sort of handing over of the keys taking place a few years down the round.

The tabloids will do what the tabloids do best and that is pull stories out of thin air just to have something to print. It won't affect anything to do with the Invictus Games or the official royal tour side of the down under trip. Harry and Meghan are going to go into all this full steam ahead, enjoy every minute of it and I'm sure it will all be a huge success.

I don't see Harry ever being less involved in the Invictus Games anymore than he'll be less involved in Sentebale. These are his passions and things he's started from scratch and has nurtured them and watch them grow. Both organizations are pretty well self sufficient with their own management and boards that do the day to day work so there's really nothing for Harry to "hand over". These are things that will stay with Harry throughout his lifetime and he would no more give up involvement in them than Charles would with his Prince's Trust organizations.

Early reports that crown prince couple Mary and Fred of Denmark will also join Harry and Meghan in support of Invictus in Australia.

Princess Mary to join Prince Harry Meghan Markle for Invictus Games* | Daily Mail Online

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...s/news-story/ddedc408e731b9506c18b2dd746db3b5

Harry and Meghan, David, Victoria and family, now Mary and Frederik.

Just need George and Amal to join in, and the media coverage of these games would go ballistic.

Especially here in Oz.

I think that's going to be the interesting thing about Invictus going forward.

Invictus needs a massive amount of publicity to attract and keep donors so having celebrity ambassadors and people like Obama and the first lady drop in helps to keep that interest going especially as the UK government is shrinking it's financing of the games.

But just like in 2016 people complained Meghan's presence took attention away from the veterans (which they can no longer complain about because it's now Meghan's job to support the games)

When more and more celebrities high profile people are added in there is a risk of the attention being diverted. I hope there is careful planning on how to use celebrities to enhance the attention on the athletes not detract from it. The need to strike the right balance.

I mean overall did many players complain about Meghan though because interviews I saw from players, they seemed thrilled over the attention her presence brought to the games. She was at one game session out of many. There were many famous faces in attendance. They need those faces and overall I don't think it takes away from the players. IG was splashed all over the globe last year. That is a positive thing.

Nice to see that Princess Mary might be in attendance. I do think this year will be a fun one.

Another coin swop day is coming up on the 4th - to swop ordinary $2.00 coins for the Invictus ones.

Must be expecting it to be popular, as there is to be a limit of three satchels of coins per person.

I think that's going to be the interesting thing about Invictus going forward.

Invictus needs a massive amount of publicity to attract and keep donors so having celebrity ambassadors and people like Obama and the first lady drop in helps to keep that interest going especially as the UK government is shrinking it's financing of the games.

But just like in 2016 people complained Meghan's presence took attention away from the veterans (which they can no longer complain about because it's now Meghan's job to support the games)

When more and more celebrities high profile people are added in there is a risk of the attention being diverted. I hope there is careful planning on how to use celebrities to enhance the attention on the athletes not detract from it. The need to strike the right balance.

The only people I saw complaining about Meghan’s presence were the usual complainers & people who do not have much interest in IGs, didn’t attend & had no plans to attend.

Having attended in Toronto, people came out to support the amazing athletes! Having Prince Harry there & so dedicated was lovely, icing on the cake. But even when Harry wasn’t at a venue, people were having a wonderful time, supporting the athletes & their families.

I met so many lovely families, from so many countries & they all had such high praise for Harry, for what the Invictus Games were doing, so many feelings towards, ‘they felt they’d gotten a purpose in life again’. Any discussion, about Meghan was people happy that Harry had found happiness. I’d say another big buzz was when Harry & Barack Obama attended the basketball game, security was so high. People were desperate to see them together, but we were also thoroughly enjoying the entertaining basketball game.

In Toronto, there were a lot of celebrities at venues, some were also ambassadors or handed out medals, but still no big distraction as the main focus was on the amazing athletes.

I wonder if we will see the Bidens and/or Obama's this time? I had been thinking not since its a wee bit further than past games, but now am thinking we may see at least Dr Biden.

It was announced that Prince Frederik underwent an operation for a herniated disk and has cancelled his engagements for the next two weeks.

I assume the chance of Fred and Mary going to Invictus has decreased by a lot.

Australian flora, incorporated in an attractive design. Lovely!

So much support from the ABC, how many programs are they devoting to the Invictus Games - not just coverage of the events.

https://www.invictusgames2018.org/latest/invictus-games-sydney-2018-countdown-is-on/

And lots of support coming from everywere -

The Accor Hotel group are putting the competitors and their families up at various hotels for the week of the games.

Parramatta - the geographical centre of Sydney and a big "city" withing our city - will fly street banners, has held workshops and had early access to the tickets for it's residents.

"RU OK" is tying in with Invictus. (We've just had RU OK day - "are you OK?" A workplace/community awareness program that's been going for a few years here in Oz.)

Last edited:
Yay!!! I’m really happy to see all the community involvement in IG. I imagine it’d be super exciting when the games are in town.

Court Circular 4th September:
The Duke of Sussex, Patron, Invictus Games Foundation, this morning attended a Board Meeting at 190 Great Dover Street, London SE1.

Since I never expected them to go in the first place, hardly surprising news, imo.

I doubt Frederik will be doing any long-distance traveling so soon after back surgery. It’s not exactly a short car drive from Denmark to Australia.

The opening ceremony will commence at 7.30 Sydney time on October the 20th, and will take place in the Sydney Opera House forecourt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom