The Duke of Sussex and The Invictus Games: 2014 and 2016-2018, 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prince Harry and former US President Barack Obama attended a wheelchair basketball game on Friday

https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefeed/2017/09/29/wheelchair_basketball,_invictus_games,_toronto

Barack Obama joins Prince Harry at the Invictus Games | Daily Mail Online

Last day today and Prince Harry attend at wheelchair finals basketball

https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefee...ir_basketball_finals,_invictus_games,_toronto

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4936500/Prince-Harry-vows-continue-Invictus-Games-day.html

"A 13-year-old Toronto boy has a new photo to frame after a chance encounter with Prince Harry at an Invictus Games event Monday night.
"I said 'Hi, Mr. Prince, can I get a picture with you?,'" Boland remembered.
"I told my teacher today — she was so jealous of me, it was pretty funny.""

'Hi, Mr. Prince': 13-year-old has chance meeting with Harry - CBC.ca | Here and Now

Last edited by a moderator:
Without wanting to turn the thread political, seeing Obama does make me realise how much I miss him! (And I'm not even American, haha.) It's really lovely to see him there supporting Harry and the games today.

The footage of Harry's little popcorn thief from the other day was adorable - just goes to show that young children aren't bothered about impressing royalty :D

Wow, Harry & President Obama and the Biden’s together at the Invictus Games. Love it!

Here for Obama and Biden. :wub:

Good to see them in eachother company again. We know the friendship between Obama and Biden is real, but they genuinely seem to really like Harry too, which is nice to see.

I am surprised and thrilled to see the former president and his "brother" Biden at this event, I was not expecting it!?

So excited to see President Barack Obama and Joe Biden at the IG to support Harry!

And Dr. Biden. What fun to see them at such an important sporting event. Pres. Obama was in NJ yesterday to catch the President's Cup with Former Presidents Bush and Clinton. Smiles all around.

Since tomorrow is closing ceremonies wondering if we will see Meghan appear again.

LaRae

They don't film Suits on Saturday so I think she will be there and hopefully sitting next to each other.

Aww..so nice to see President Obama and the Bidens there.
What wonderful support!

I have honestly never seen Prince Harry so happy!!
From the popcorn stealer to all the hugs to the kissing of athletes heads...he is just oozing happiness. He seems like he is in a really good place right now.? Good for him!

Aww..so nice to see President Obama and the Bidens there. What wonderful support!

I have honestly never seen Prince Harry so happy!!

From the popcorn stealer to all the hugs to the kissing of athletes heads...he is just oozing happiness. He seems like he is in a really good place right now.? Good for him!

I have to agree, especially with Obama. :flowers: Some great energy coming from the older man to the younger. It helps that Harry has Meghan 'at home' waiting for him, too. I am very glad for him. Looking good.

P.S. I bet they (Obamas and Bidens) get invited to the wedding! ;)

Great follow-up from former president Obama on last year's video (with the hilarious response from Harry and the Queen). I am sure Michelle Obama is sorry that she couldn't join them today.

I have to agree, especially with Obama. :flowers: Some great energy coming from the older man to the younger. It helps that Harry has Meghan 'at home' waiting for him, too. I am very glad for him. Looking good.

P.S. I bet they (Obamas and Bidens) get invited to the wedding! ;)

I bet Harry sees Pres. Obama as a mentor. He has really grown up and grown into his role. He has always been outgoing but he seems calmer yet still retaining his spirit. I look forward to seeing Harry continue to grow.
Save

Happiness is pouring out Harry these days. The Invictus Games is his baby and he’s basking in the glow of the competing warriors, their families and his girlfriend.

Last edited:
I agree, and while it isn't a mutual admiration society thing it's so good to see that many of the IG athletes have come out and praised Harry for his commitment to them and to the IG. And Harry has been determined to be there for them at all the events, come rain, come shine, greeting, hugging, offering encouragement. We've truly seen the best of Harry this week.

:previous:
Very well said Curryong and my favorite was the little blonde girl helping herself to his popcorn without him knowing it at first and then his reaction to it by making it a fun thing to do, eat popcorn together. That was the Harry that I saw that was full of life and love for all things. He will really make a great father someday as we have all seen here.

I agree, and while it isn't a mutual admiration society thing it's so good to see that many of the IG athletes have come out and praised Harry for his commitment to them and to the IG. And Harry has been determined to be there for them at all the events, come rain, come shine, greeting, hugging, offering encouragement. We've truly seen the best of Harry this week.

Truly! From that great speech at the opening ceremony, to the appearance tonight with Obama and the Bidens and all the fantastic moments in between with the athletes and their families, Harry has shown us why he's now one of the most beloved, respected and invaluable members of the BRF. Add in that sweet appearance with Meghan earlier in the week and I just couldn't be happier to see him in such a good place in his life.

Only one more day to go now but I look forward to the closing ceremony delivering a few more great moments.

I think it's safe to say that Harry and the games have been a success. (I cannot imagine anything happening now that would spoil that impression).

The games themselves have been established and cemented and one way or another are going to stay - and spread.
So far the participants have come from mainly Western and Commonwealth countries. But as soldiers form practically all countries nowadays take part in various actions and are wounded, I predict more and more countries will join the games, which are very different from other sporting events, like the Olympics. Because the main focus is about being together with other people in a similar situation who have overcome a traumatic event in their lives and indeed succeeded, rather than winning a competition. That is an international accomplishment.
And one day we may even see former enemies together at these games - that would be a wonderful thing. Even if it may cause controversies at some points.
We may also see police officers and firefighters who have been invalided in the line of duty joining the games.

We can always discuss how much Harry is involved in the actual planning and running of the games, but he is undoubtedly the patron, the face and the colour-bearer of the games. And in that he has done exceptionally well!
Not least due to his service, his personality, his people-skills and also because he, like 'll say most soldiers have had his wild years. That enables him to talk to, understand and interact with veterans on almost every level. Something few other royals can, be they ever so dedicated.

That is not a bad legacy by any standard.

I hope it continues. Honestly, even if British soldiers aren't in active war zones right now, this is about veterans and what they face is a life long struggle. Besides, unlike say the warrior games which is a local based event, this has become international. Veterans from all over the world have come to participate, and given the chance, the countries will likely increase with time.

Though there are still the parolympics, there is a difference. There is a bond between these athletes based on what brought them to this place. It also brings a very important focus to PTSD and other issues that soldiers suffer.

It would be a shame for this to end in 2020, if rumors are true. Its not simply a British endeavor.

It looks like the Invitcus Games this year have been a success as they usually always are. It's really nice to see Harry at an event he created and for an issue he feels passionate about. You can see his passion through his facial expressions in all the photos from the games.

Harry just was quoted in the Daily Fail as saying the games will continue. Of course the Fail had to keep mentioning that Meghan was nowhere to be seen at the games.

She has been there 2 days so far, won't know till this evening if she makes it a 3rd time.

LaRae

Yes, though it wouldn't be the Fail if it didn't keep labouring the point while at the same time hinting that she'll appear later.

I really do hope that the Invictus Games continues. It gives all these brave men and women such a buzz to compete in this sort of competition.

:previous: And yet, another precious memory made that will be remembered for a lifetime. :D I love it!!

:previous:

That's absolutely cute and so sweet: "Hi Mr. Prince..." :lol:

What a nice memory for the dimpled young teenager. It will surely be a wonderful memory as well as inspiration for this young man in years to come. He got together the courage to ask Prince Harry for a photo, and Prince Harry responded with generosity.

Prince Harry's interaction with the toddler and the popcorn was sweet and adorable too. It's indicated that Prince Harry knows the couple so the little girl was likely familiar with seeing Harry previously and thus she was not shy about stealing his popcorn, being that she didn't see him as a stranger. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom