The Duke of Sussex and Conservation Efforts

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this a private or publicly funded trip? Does anyone know if Meghan is with him?

I can't find it in his diary

It's in the CC which means Henry is travelling as a royal IMO.

His meeting on Wednesday was in CC. He's been in Africa since Monday. Long way to go for a board meeting.

As I said before, Harry may well be inspecting conservation projects which he helped worked on last year. We shall probably learn what later. There have been no reports of Meghan being in Africa with him at all and his being in Africa since Monday was a surmise only.

Harry goes to Africa every year and usually one or two events appear in the CC - that way the taxpayers, of the country being visited, have to pay for the trip. He then disappears into the bush for a month or more to work on his conservation projects or what ever he does.

William has done that as well - e.g. when he went to Jecca's wedding he visited the President of Kenya and so the trip was paid for by the Kenyan taxpayers as it was an 'official visit' to the country.

There was no mention of him leaving the country, no itinerary, no reporters going along just an entry in the CC for Wednesday. Doesn't seem official to me.

:previous: Well, not a state visit. But if in the CC, then "official" biz. Her Majesty does not hand out CC nods like candy. ;)

Harry goes to Africa every year and usually one or two events appear in the CC - that way the taxpayers, of the country being visited, have to pay for the trip. He then disappears into the bush for a month or more to work on his conservation projects or what ever he does.

William has done that as well - e.g. when he went to Jecca's wedding he visited the President of Kenya and so the trip was paid for by the Kenyan taxpayers as it was an 'official visit' to the country.

Why would the Kenya taxpayers have paid for William's trip? The only time a country pays is when they request a royal visit. Like Canada last year would have paid. The France other then security didn't pay for the Paris trip, the U.K. did. Also when they go on behalf of a charity, that charity pays a portion. Inviticus should pay for Harry to go to Australia not Australia.

Whenever a royal meets with the President/Prime Minister/Governor-General (the Head of State) that means an invitation has been sent and thus it they have requested a 'royal visit'. Not all royal visits are days in length. People don't just 'drop in' on a Head of State. That Head of State has to extend an invitation and that is why the Kenyan would have paid for part of William's trip and why the people of Botswana will be paying for part of Harry's trip.

Whenever a royal meets with the President/Prime Minister/Governor-General (the Head of State) that means an invitation has been sent and thus it they have requested a 'royal visit'. Not all royal visits are days in length. People don't just 'drop in' on a Head of State. That Head of State has to extend an invitation and that is why the Kenyan would have paid for part of William's trip and why the people of Botswana will be paying for part of Harry's trip.

He didnt meet any Head of State, he attended a meeting of one of his charities.
So no ay are the people of Botswana pay for this.

There was no mention of him leaving the country, no itinerary, no reporters going along just an entry in the CC for Wednesday. Doesn't seem official to me.

This isn't a state visit, Henry attended a board meeting of his charity. The flight is a long way, so he arrived a day or two before hand and obviously spent some time where he wanted. He was back in London yesterday.

There's not going to be an itinerary, and there won't be any reporters if they didn't know about it.

Mentions in the CC aren't given to everyone, so he was there and it was on official charity business. Simple.

It was stated, on Cepe Smith's Twitter Page I believe, that the Rhino Conservation Board in Botswana asked him to be there for a meeting. So he went, and is now back.

A few photos from Harry's trip to Botswana last month:

Rhinos Botswana‏ @RhinosBotswana 56m56 minutes ago
Our Patron Prince Harry & international trustees joined us @rhinosbotswana for our May board meeting. We have big aspirations for #Botswana
https://twitter.com/RhinosBotswana/status/870940348775903234

Prince Harry also met up with some of @RhinosBotswana's new rhino monitoring officers. A professional, highly experienced & passionate team
https://twitter.com/RhinosBotswana/status/870940878667476992
https://twitter.com/RhinosBotswana/status/870941330607923200

Fantastic photos. Thanks for posting them. A happy and successful trip, and may the rhino in Botswana continue to benefit from this work.

Kensington Palace‏ @KensingtonRoyal
During @bbcr4today programme, it was announced that HRH has been appointed President of @AfricanParks. In his role HRH will help advance the NGO's mission in protecting Africa's national parks and advance wildlife conservation in Africa and around the world.

Oh what a marvelous announcement! I think Harry will be as fierce and protective of his beloved Africa and its wildlife almost as fiercely he is protective of Meghan. As he is also an Ambassador for United for Wildlife with the Royal Foundation, this appointment fits nice and and snuggly into the long range goals for conservation.

And a good legitimate reason to have a home in Africa. Or to somehow share ownership of a hidey hole there. I've always thought that would happen, sooner or later.

Most definitely gives more reasons to return to Africa. I think this couple is going to have a long lasting love affair with the country. :D

Most definitely gives more reasons to return to Africa. I think this couple is going to have a long lasting love affair with the country. :D

My best wish for them is that, once the Cambridge children grow up, they can just ride off into the sunset together in Africa with a few appearances throughout the year. In the meantime, a vacation home would be good. :lol:

CC
Prince Henry of Wales, Patron, Rhino Conservation Botswana, this afternoon visited Chobe Game Lodge, Kasane, Botswana, and was received by the Hon. Tshekedi Khama (Minister of Environment, Natural Resources, Conservation and Tourism).

So Harry is having a few days in Africa! There have been rumours on Twitter that Meghan has been in LA, but I hope she has in fact joined him in Botswana.

Have no idea what is going on but this has appeared in the Court Circular online for 22nd January

Kensington Palace
22nd January 2018
Prince Henry of Wales, Patron, Rhino Conservation Botswana, this afternoon visited Chobe Game Lodge, Kasane, Botswana, and was received by the Hon. Tshekedi Khama (Minister of Environment, Natural Resources, Conservation and Tourism).

Has not appeared in the times for CC up to and including 24/1.
So Mr O'Donnell's end of year figures for Harry will be out by one.

This would seem to be an unofficial visit to Botswana that included one meeting with an official from the Botswana Government. That does not make it an official visit.

I think he's on hols with Meghan.

If it is in the CC - wherever published - it is an official visit, particularly when the person he meet with is a Minister of the Government. He also did this last year -went to Botswana and meet someone and that was one engagement but he was there for his own personal time as well. It was claimed that he paid for the trip himself - but the taxpayers still pay for the RPOs and they rotate in teams. He can fly economy all he likes but the 'off duty' RPOs must fly first class.

I was surprised about this as well as it wasn't mentioned anywhere else but I too think it is a case that he in on a holiday but needs to justify it and so this official engagement comes up.

It has happened with William before as well - when he went to Jecca's wedding and had a meeting with the President of Kenya on the way so an official meeting making the trip taxpayer funded while the real reason for the trip was to go to the wedding.

The young royals should watch this running off to Africa - have a single meeting - and then not appear back in the UK for several days so we all know they are having a taxpayer funded holiday.

Last edited:
I don’t follow... When it comes to RPO’s why does it matter if the trip is private or not? If he pays for the trip himself why would he need to justify it. If the government feels he needs protection (which they obviously do) they should also pay for it and this should have no impact on where he travels to or why if he covers the cost himself if it’s private. It would be different if the government paid for everthig for one lousy meeting and he stayed for two whole weeks.

The costs of the RPOs are from the taxpayers and it is first class all the way. Harry doesn't pay anything for that. In other words he says 'I am going to xxxx and I am going to pay for my own expenses' but that is all he pays for - himself. Wherever he goes he has to have three teams of two RPOs at least - and two of those teams must travel and be accommodated in first class accommodation all the way at taxpayers' expense.

He needs to justify to the taxpayers' the costs of the travel and accommodation and meals allowances for the RPOs. When he is away for more than two weeks the RPOs also return to the UK and new teams are sent out as they aren't allowed to work for more than 14 days straight with the same criteria - first class all the way when 'off duty' regardless of how Harry travels.

The security costs of the BRF are never made public officially although they estimated in the 100,000s million pounds per year, especially for the younger royals who insist on travelling overseas for their holidays. This means a team of RPOs have to go out a month or so in advance and check out everything and then the full party later on.

If they truly cared about Britain - and Harry is on record as saying he doesn't like the place - they would be more considerate, especially given the fact that Britain has been in a state of austerity now for close on a decade, due to the Global Financial Crisis.

They are just out of touch with the day to day lives of ordinary Britons.

Ok. Let me play devil's advocate. I think it's ridiculous the idea that the royals are not supposed to go on overseas vacations like everybody else. Ordinary Britons can go on overseas vacations. Are the royals supposed to be confined within the boundaries of the UK and only travel for official overseas tours? If I was in Meghan's shoes, an international traveller before she met Harry - there is no way I would have became involved with Harry if it meant that!

Is it not the government who determines how many RPOs each royal requires? It there are complaints about the costs, why can't the royals foot the bill or have less RPOs guarding them when they travel privately?

Last edited:
:previous: The risk is no less, just because they are on vacation. So fewer RPOs would be a serious risk. Apart from the fact that fewer ROPs means more work for the rest. And more work means more tired and less alert RPOs who may eventually be prone to cut too many corners. - Until one day...

Since it's the police and security organizations who asses the threat-level for the individual members of the BRF, it's also the police who determine what level of protection is needed. It would IMO be dangerous to let costs outweigh the threat-level. Also for the protections officers as well as bystanders.
It's logic: Less protection means a higher probability for someone to try to carry out an attack or a kidnapping attempt. Simply because there is a higher probability for a success.

Also, if costs is a decisive factor in providing protection that will apply to everyone. If you cut down on RPO officers you create a good argument for cutting down on other protection jobs the police has.
The natural reaction to that is to take matters into your own hands. I.e. for those who can afford it to either leave Britain or hire private contractors to do the job. Contractors who may have an inferior training or just as bad; be more heavy-handed or even trigger happy.
Another alternative is for people who feel threatened to arm themselves, regardless of whether that is against the law or not.

And why should people who were born into a high-profile, high-risk position like the members of the BRF wish to continue if they feel they don't get adequate protection?
Being royal wasn't something they chose themselves.

Let's toy with the idea. Harry and Meghan get less protection. That saves money and works fine for two or three years. One day, on a vacation in Scotland (because other countries will make sure they are protected!) they are attacked. Whether they are killed, wounded or unhurt is besides the point.
In this scenario however a film of Meghan held hostage released by The Revolutionary Action Committee of Left-handed Toyota Dealers is shown non-stop on every channel...
The subsequent inquiry will show that the amount saved on RPOs is negligible. Certainly in comparison to the huge embarrassment Britain is facing whenever that film is shown.
And those who were most vocal in suggesting the number of RPOs being cut will be lucky if they are hung from the Tower by their necks!

So no one in charge will cut down on royal security, because no one in charge will be remembered for being responsible for a member of the BRF being hurt, killed or kidnapped.

Last edited:
Have no idea what is going on but this has appeared in the Court Circular online for 22nd January

Kensington Palace
22nd January 2018

Has not appeared in the times for CC up to and including 24/1.
So Mr O'Donnell's end of year figures for Harry will be out by one.

This would seem to be an unofficial visit to Botswana that included one meeting with an official from the Botswana Government. That does not make it an official visit.

I think he's on hols with Meghan.

Meghan is not with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom