The Duke and Duchess of Sussex's Charities and Patronages

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In this country Joanna Lumley is well known for her support for the Gurkhas. I wasn't aware that the duke was involved with the Gurkha Welfare Trust in any capacity.

Last edited:
Harry and Meghan have made a donation to the Foundation set up to honour the memory of Harry's friend Henry van Straubenzee. Hen, as he was known, was about to go to Uganda to work in a school there in his gap year when he was killed in a freak car accident in England before he could set out. He was 18.

Harry used to attend the Carol Service held each December (though not this year due to Covid) which was an annual fundraiser and he and William are Patrons of the Foundation. Harry and Hen were close, being of the same age.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...onours-late-friend-Henry-van-Straubenzee.html

Harry and Meghan have made an Xmas donation to the NZ charitable endeavour Make-Give-Live for 100 bobble hats, in Archie's name. They did the same sort of thing last year and the women who run this endeavour were inundated with orders and donations after Archie appeared in a photo in Canada in his father's arms wearing one of the hats.

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celeb...ince-harry-make-give-live-christmas-donation/

Last edited:
"We honored to have the support of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, along with Archewell Foundation, They fuled the volunteers of our LA Service Platoon with lunch yesterday, so they can continue their hard work at the Compton VFW and help those living in the Compton community!"

Nice people get help this is a difficult time for everybody, Still signing as Duke and Dss of Sussex.

:previous: Well... that's who they actually are. :D

It's good to see things starting to happen with Archewell. With the way that things are going in California with the pandemic, *any* kind of help and assistance is sorely needed. Especially the kind that support the people tirelessly working to support the people.

:previous: Well... that's who they actually are. :D

It's good to see things starting to happen with Archewell. With the way that things are going in California with the pandemic, *any* kind of help and assistance is sorely needed. Especially the kind that support the people tirelessly working to support the people.

Yes! Its great to hear they are involved even if we cant see them at engagements.

LaRae

Yes! Its great to hear they are involved even if we cant see them at engagements.

LaRae

Agreed that it's great to hear that they're still involved especially with such a new charity "The Mission Continues." Home Girl catering surely appreciated the job, but they're better now in the area with their ties to Home Boy Industries. However like in so many places, it really is best that the Sussexes are staying home now even though technically they could travel in the SoCal region. Santa Barbara Co. is experiencing a higher rate of COVID transmission now and Los Angeles Co. remains one of the global hotspots. :sad:

It's good that they're supporting local charities. The people of Southern California can certainly use all the help they can get during this time, they are really being hit hard by the pandemic.

However, I do have to say that I still have an issue with them using their titles in instances like this. This is not a British charity; they titles don't hold an official weight here in the US. They wanted so badly to leave official royal life to be private citizens and earn their own private income, yet they want to use their official titles to do so.

Meghan and Harry are still Duke and Duchess of Sussex regardless of the fact that they've "left" the royal family, so I don't see a problem in them using the title. If they had been stripped of their dukedom and were still trying to use it to gain publicity, that would be another matter and an actual issue.

It's good that they're supporting local charities. The people of Southern California can certainly use all the help they can get during this time, they are really being hit hard by the pandemic.

However, I do have to say that I still have an issue with them using their titles in instances like this. This is not a British charity; they titles don't hold an official weight here in the US. They wanted so badly to leave official royal life to be private citizens and earn their own private income, yet they want to use their official titles to do so.

Thank you for pointing out our needs in Southern California and indeed so many parts of the world.:flowers:

I personally don't have an issue with the couple using their titles but sometimes I am a little confused when they do especially if they've recently appeared in a video as "Hi we're Meghan and Harry." or at in-person events it's "Just call me Harry (Meghan.)" So I guess that sometimes I don't understand their reasoning to switch back and forth between a more casual approach to a more formal one. I guess that I'd sum it up as being find a bit inconsistent with their stated desire to be "carving out a new progressive role within the institution."

Last edited:
I'm so glad to see that Harry's bond with the veteran community remains strong, and that he and Meghan decided to help this organisation in a practical way. The Mission Continues certainly appreciates it.

As for switching from Harry and Meghan to the Duke and Duchess, I'm sure that in most places when meeting face to face with others they use Harry and Meghan to make people feel comfortable and at ease with them. Harry's never been a terribly formal person anyway. Letters and written communications to charities, especially on behalf of the Archewell foundation are, of necessity, a bit more formal. And the couple sign off that way.

Thank you for pointing out our needs in Southern California and indeed so many parts of the world.:flowers:

I personally don't have an issue with the couple using their titles but sometimes I am a little confused when they do especially if they've recently appeared in a video as "Hi we're Meghan and Harry." or at in-person events it's "Just call me Harry (Meghan.)" So I guess that sometimes I don't understand their reasoning to switch back and forth between a more casual approach to a more formal one. I guess that I'd sum it up as being find a bit inconsistent with their stated desire to be "carving out a new progressive role within the institution."

mm I don't know I think the line is pretty clear:
When dealing with UK and Commonwealth entities and Charities it makes sense to use their titles; when dealing with any other country entities, it doesn't.

I mean the Americans literally staged a full on war and abolished the monarchy and any hereditary titles in their country.
If Harry worked with them before, I would imagine the people would know who he is without having to resort to using the titles.

Harry has joined the Aussie Prime Minister and others in launching a new mental health app to assist frontline workers in Australia take care of their wellbeing in these challenging times.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/7095582/prince-harry-launches-mental-health-tool/?cs=14264

Great initiative, glad to see Harry involved with it. :flowers:

Very similar to his work with Heads Together, and his focus on veterans and their trauma from war. Its great to see him continue work with mental health.

And to see him working with a commonwealth country.

A series of off topic posts have been removed. Let's stick to the topic of the thread going forward. Any further off topic posts will be deleted.

I don't know where to put this, and this might be old news since I don't follow the Sussexes regularly. But I was watching America Got Talent Finale, and Meghan appeared. She gave a speech and also mentioned Archie.

"Marking the announcement of the postponement of the next Games, our Patron The Duke of Sussex joins #InvictusGames competitors past and present in a message of resilience in looking ahead to when the Games can happen again."

Absolutely! This is a sad but unfortunately necessary decision due to the pandemic continuing to rage through so many countries. Harry will be devastated for the competitors but there will be another chance to hold the Invictus Games next year. These men and women are vulnerable due to their physical conditions and Invictus just can't go ahead in those circumstances.

I was watching CNN 10 this morning and they said that Japan announced they were going to do the Olympics and Paralympics this year. Too bad they can't have Harry's event.

I was watching CNN 10 this morning and they said that Japan announced they were going to do the Olympics and Paralympics this year. Too bad they can't have Harry's event.

It's indeed sad, but I think it was the smartest decision for them to make. While things will hopefully start to become more open with the vaccine, I'm still anticipating things to still be fairly closed for at least another year or two. I suspect that the Olympics may be postponed again, too- or will at least be spectator-free.

It's by no means 100% certain that the Olympics and ParaOlympics will go ahead as scheduled, whatever CNN says. At the moment Japan has well over 300,000 active cases of Covid-19 and the vaccination programme for their population has not yet been scheduled.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/oth...will-they-go-ahead/1gv928rhuuo0o1ucb6481onp4m

And Invictus Games organisers did exactly the right thing in postponing this year, sad though it is for competitors and their families. Especially as most of those that would be competing might well be more vulnerable than most due to their ongoing physical conditions after amputations etc.

Last edited:
Nice surprise. The students were excited and it was lovely to see their messages.

I hope that the Sussexes consider doing the same for a British school's poetry class during the UK's Black History Month in October 2021.?

I hope that the Sussexes consider doing the same for a British school's poetry class during the UK's Black History Month in October 2021.?

Yes, it would be nice but they probably have to get permission from the Firm and the Queen too.

Wonderful see them both involved in the event. It definitely was exciting for the kids.

Yes, it would be nice but they probably have to get permission from the Firm and the Queen too.

Why would they need to get permission from anyone :ermm:

They have not been banned from doing charity work in the UK. They are still involved with their charities back home.

They are just considered private like the York girls now.

Back
Top Bottom