The Duke and Duchess of Sussex's Charities and Patronages

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All who hoped this inevitable severing could be completely without Harry taking shots at his 94-year-old grandmother across the Atlantic have now been sorely disappointed, but probably not surprised.

From the Sussex’s statement from Chris Ship’s Twitter:
Chris Ship @chrisshipitv
Replying to @chrisshipitv
Now statement from Harry and Meghan office: The couple “remain committed to their duty and service to the U.K. and around the world, and have offered their continued support to the organisations they have represented regardless of official role.”
11:06 PM · Feb 19, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

Chris Ship @chrisshipitv
Replying to @chrisshipitv
Harry and Meghan add at the very end of their statement: “We can all live a life of service. Service is universal.”
11:06 PM · Feb 19, 2021·Twitter for iPhone​

https://mobile.twitter.com/chrisshipitv/status/1362735325056032768

In really looking at Harry and Meghan's response to the loss of "royal" patronages that have been returned to the Queen and eliminates them from being "royally" and "officially" involved, I really can't state that I see it as being snarky and disrespectful to the Queen.

To me, what they're saying that even though they'll no longer be officially representatives of these patronages, they still believe in the causes and what they do to the point that they would still be "of service" to them regardless if it's official or not. In other words, because they're not "officially" involved any longer, it doesn't mean that they no longer care or wish to support what these patronages do.

They mean to continue on being "of service" where they can and how they can do it in a private capacity. It *is* true that any one of us could get involved with these patronages and support and back them as private individuals if we wanted to. I could support the QCT with donations if I pleased to. Same with the National Theater or any other "royal" patronage.

So, I'm on the other side of the fence and don't believe that statement was sent with a snarky intent to it.

But that's just me. :D

You guys act like The Queen wrote that statement. I suspect it was the usual employees who have caused issues in the past. It is just more of the same.

But what is wrong with the statement? It very much a statement of fact, yes its possibly a bit cold but then this is an "official" work issue not a family emotional issue that needs tonnes of emotional language around it.I think overanalysing either statement isn't worth anything - as I said earlier the Sussex's seems to have been written in the heat of the moment IMO and in a complete opposite the BP one written in pretty standard unemotive official speak.

I completely agree with this. The 'classy' thing to do would have been to continue to fully support the Royal Family while the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh were alive. There will be huge changes after the current reign, and they could have made their lifestyle changes in line with that, when that happens.
And yes, their snarky reply has made me lose any respect for them.
I beg to differ. The couple were clearly miserable and unhappy with their positions and roles within the royal family. Instead of "suffering through it" they opted to leave. It didn't matter when during the reign of Queen Elizabeth or King Charles the couple would always suffer backlash for leaving "the firm".

But what is wrong with the statement? It very much a statement of fact, yes its possibly a bit cold but then this is an "official" work issue not a family emotional issue that needs tonnes of emotional language around it.I think overanalysing either statement isn't worth anything - as I said earlier the Sussex's seems to have been written in the heat of the moment IMO and in a complete opposite the BP one written in pretty standard unemotive official speak.

You make a good point, Tommy. On one side, there is an official release from a "Firm" concerning the matter. On the other hand, a release from two people expressing themselves.

You guys act like The Queen wrote that statement. I suspect it was the usual employees who have caused issues in the past. It is just more of the same.

I struggle to believe that the queen did not read and agree the statement before it was issued.

What were they supposed to say? They were hardly going to say anything else.

I was shocked to hear a co-worker say that the National Theater and others must have begged to keep the Sussexes, based on the public statements made. But I agree with Poppy7, I don't know what else the National Theater and others could say other than the gracious words they did. They all likely just wish they weren't in the middle of this. For that reason, I do wish the Sussexes could have been selfless enough to have resigned quietly. Today did not help these charities in any way. I would have cheered the Sussexes on for such class if they had done so.

Absolutely nothing is stopping the Sussexes from fundraising for these organizations. Only titles were removed (really, reverted back to the Queen), not anyone's ability to support and fundraise for these worthy and important causes. As someone who has volunteered for decades for charities, I've never had an appointed title of 'patron', royal or otherwise, and can't see needing such a thing. I hope the Sussexes understand that it is the cause, not the title, which matters.

I know Harry desperately wanted to keep the military appointments, but the military accomplishments that he personally earned remain his. I really do think that matters so much more. As someone who has often admired Harry's commitment to veterans, I never did so because of his royal appointments.

I'm surprised the statement mentions that the Queen discussed this only with Harry, but, it is Harry's position by birth in the monarchy through which these patronages flowed. Perhaps the Queen thought that it must then end solely through Harry as well.

I beg to differ. The couple were clearly miserable and unhappy with their positions and roles within the royal family. Instead of "suffering through it" they opted to leave. It didn't matter when during the reign of Queen Elizabeth or King Charles the couple would always suffer backlash for leaving "the firm".

Yep! We live in a world where mental health is prevalent. Why stay at a place that makes you miserable?

I struggle to believe that the queen did not read and agree the statement before it was issued.

Of course she did, she was the one who had the talks with Harry, Charles and William....

It's the same thing that has been going since last year. TRF being graceful and kind to the Sussexes, emphasizing that they're still a beloved members of the family and the Sussexes being their snarky and entitled selves, because they didn't get completely everything that they wanted. Somehow not surprising to me at all.

Divorce is hard. And I often observe that it is the very partner that sets it in motion who in the end begins to become more reactionary. As the initial devastation was not theirs but rather the dumped but then theirs grows as they observe how they cannot have things the way they imagined. It is painful and essentially is Harry and Meghan saying they wanted to stay married while seeing other people
They had even kitted out their little pied de terre for this to happen. Other partner says no: in or out. They choose out but had use of the holiday villa and home for a while. Then the other partner says time for this to end. We need to move on now.

Basically life is full of compromise and choices and I hope they both grow up enough to see there was no other way to do this. You can't have your cake and eat it even some commentators on TV I see saying how great it would have been to have them half in and out. But how? How would that be managed? They would have had to continue to someone control their every move.

Time to move on. Everyone does eventually.

In fact I think the royals messed up with Diana in allowing her to carry on post divorce and thereby contributing to the eventual tragedy. If they had taken away all the royal stuff. It would have made life easier in the long run.

Last edited:
Just a pity they didnt word their statement as eloquently as you put it, Osipi.

I think both statements were in haste. All that said it is finally over. Harry and Meghan no longer are working members of the royal family. I agree that they likely won't step foot in the UK at all this year barring a tragedy.

They are all still family but we know family can be complicated. But they have the distance to all start over and now they all officially can. It is a win/win for them all even if there is disappointment from both sides.

I would be surprised if Harry isn't in the UK in July for the unveiling of the statue to Diana on the 1st July (assuming that that isn't the time Meghan is having her baby).

I would also expect him, at least, to return for his grandfather's 100th birthday - again unless Meghan is having the baby. To do otherwise would, in my opinion, mean he would never return for any reason.

I would be surprised if Harry isn't in the UK in July for the unveiling of the statue to Diana on the 1st July (assuming that that isn't the time Meghan is having her baby).

I would also expect him, at least, to return for his grandfather's 100th birthday - again unless Meghan is having the baby. To do otherwise would, in my opinion, mean he would never return for any reason.

Providing that travel is safe by then.. I hope he'd alos come for Phil' birthday but travel may not be possible..

I don't see Harry leaving Meghan and Archie for extended travel. During that time Meghan would likely have just had the baby. And despite the family tone of the statements -- my guess both sides would rather keep their distance from each other for now.

I would think very badly of him if he could come home for Philip's birthday and doesnt....

Although they have left the firm but still loved family members they have not been very tactful in their statements or the book. I am not sure how you can play happy families after all that.

Sky News Breaking twitter account made a mistake, where it put The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge not returning as Senior working royals! :lol: :whistling: ?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EulsC2LXcAUsHns?format=jpg&name=medium

Sky News Breaking quickly deleted the tweet and published a new one with the correct names, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex

This is not the first time that Sky News get the names of the public figures wrong/messed up. Last year, they got Dominic Cummings (then Chief advisor to the Prime Minister) and Dominic Raab (Foreign Secretary) messed up.

I would think very badly of him if he could come home for Philip's birthday and doesnt....

Are they even wanted? I mean really? Who knows how it really is behind the scenes. Besides Harry will likely have a very young baby at home. I don't see many faulting him not attending. But lets see how it all plays out....

I not expecting much travel in 2021 for the Sussexes but we shall see.

[...]

I'm more annoyed they're giving their interview to Oprah who I can't stand than by their statement. I thought it was pretty innocuous. All they said was that they weren't going to stop supporting their charities no matter if they were the official patron or not. But the Mail Online is sure reading all sorts of insults into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I've read the UK is pretty much closed down. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't go to the UK for either occasions and I wouldn't read that much into it.

I'm more annoyed they're giving their interview to Oprah who I can't stand than by their statement. I thought it was pretty innocuous. All they said was that they weren't going to stop supporting their charities no matter if they were the official patron or not. But the Mail Online is sure reading all sorts of insults into it.

It's not just The Mail spinning out negative stories, even The Times are running with the front page headline "Harry and Meghan hit back at loss of royal roles".
Neil Henderson @hendopolis
TIMES: Harry and Meghan hit back at loss of royal roles #TomorrowsPapersToday
8:53 AM · Feb 20, 2021·Twitter for iPhone​

Picture of the front page of The Times: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eunu5R7WgAIoot4?format=jpg&name=900x900

The online article does not have the strong heading, but the first sentence did mention that Harry & Meghan were not happy with the decision
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex hit back with a barbed statement about public service after Buckingham Palace announced this afternoon that they would not be returning as working members of the royal family.

Prince Harry and Meghan to give up all royal titles
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/prince-harry-and-meghan-to-give-up-all-royal-titles-f0ps7d3p8

Although not in the front page of The Telegraph, Camilla Tominey even went further to suggest that Harry & Meghan did not grasp the concept of public service and were only keen on discussing about themselves rather than with The Royal Family in mind.

Prince Harry and Meghan don't seem to understand what public service actually is
The royals have tried to hold a national conversation – but the Sussexes seem to have largely been in conversation with themselves
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1613757839

Chris Ship gave his analysis as to why The Sussexes appeared to be upset and upset based on their statement. He also mentioned that the interview with Oprah did not help the situation either, in fact kind of make things worse.

The true story of what happened between the Queen and the Sussexes this week
https://www.itv.com/news/2021-02-19...n-the-queens-aides-and-the-sussexes-this-week

I agree with previous posters that the statement released by the Sussexes is passive-aggressive and appear to be very angry with The Queen and Palace's decision.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised with the tone of their statement, Harry and Meghan has been passive-aggressive towards the BRF for over a year now.

Definitely sounds like a parting shot at Her Majesty, I can only think of her sadness as she likely wishes she didn't approve of this wedding.

The Queen would 100 % read a statement before it is released. Her Majesty is not a fool.

He is one plane crash away from becoming the heir; while I very much hope not to see it happen, it is a small but real possibility. That's why I think it is quite problematic.

The royal family also clearly expressed their disappointment (as they've done consistently, while also always including a phrase about them remaining beloved family members).

This is important to note that the Queen herself was not top 3 in line and she is Queen, so you never know. No one knows what will happen. Considering all the Royal duties overseas - he is a plane crash as said above from being king.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Queen would 100 % read a statement before it is released. Her Majesty is not a fool.

Ok then ppl need to stop reading into BOTH statements that either side was being snarky, throwing shade or whatever you want to call it. There is no reason for The Queen or The Sussexes to snipe about this decision.

LaRae

This is important to note that the Queen herself was not top 3 in line and she is Queen, so you never know. No one knows what will happen. Considering all the Royal duties overseas - he is a plane crash as said above from being king.

She was third in line to the throne the day she was born behind uncle and father. And despite how we exclaim she wasnt born to be Queen...she was the eldest child of the second in line and the heir was not showing any indication of settling down. It was unlikely but it was not beyond realms of possibility.

I think Harry in all likelihood is hopefully highly unlikely. And in any case George will be 18 in 10 years.

Not surprising and good that the decision is made and public (and indeed i wouldn't be surprised if it had to do with the announced interview that this has been published now)

H&M can go their own way (am going to ignore the snarky remark..if they are snarky in said interview, i'll reconsider ;) )

i'm just disappointed for QEII thinking her life as a "senior royal" (heir to the throne) started when one family member chose his own preferences over the life in service to the country that imo the Queen herself so obviously values, and now, won't say "ends", is rounded of by another family member doing the same.
Ofcourse it's great that the family members can make their own choices if they want, and i'm pretty sure that HM would be the last person to want someone to feel sorry for her, but i do a bit...

Queen Elizabeth would have been Queen anyway. If Edward VIII had stayed on the throne,he had no children after he and Wallis married. I doubt he would have married anyone else at that point. She would have had a longer wait perhaps since he died in 1972 but she still would have been monarch. Harry is so far down the line of succession and has no chance of being a monarch.

You are absolutely correct, the Queen would have had to approve every word of that statement before it was released.

I'm not surprised with the tone of their statement, Harry and Meghan has been passive-aggressive towards the BRF for over a year now.

Harry and Meghan may very well have a staffer or consultant who pushed for this aggressive parting statement. I suppose I am just hoping that the Sussexes are kinder and more prudent that the statement implies.

I do think that the loss of royal patronages and honorary positions was inevitable once the multi-million-dollar Netflix deal was in place. Boundaries would get very blurry if the Sussex Netflix content included anything having to do with their Royal public service interests or activities.

Ok then ppl need to stop reading into BOTH statements that either side was being snarky, throwing shade or whatever you want to call it. There is no reason for The Queen or The Sussexes to snipe about this decision.

LaRae

I don't think anyone is reading into either statement. If you aren't reading snark or shade into the Sussex statement- and certainly you are entitled not to, and to share that you don't, and no one questions that- you stand almost alone, as mainstream media the world over has been taken aback at the tone.

People are just calling a spade a spade this time, Pranter.

Back
Top Bottom