The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 09:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
I believe Invictus is already run by its own foundation. I don't see that changing. Harry is essentially it's face. Same with Sentebale. But Sentable will continue anyway because of its grass roots connection. Harry isn't needed.
It always has been run as it's own entity with its own governing board of directors. Even when it was under the umbrella of the Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry (later The Duke and Duchess of Sussex) that even had it's own board of directors running the umbrella. Harry, as you said, is the figurehead and he will continue in that role as long as he feels he's able to. Sentebale is the same with its own board of directors that essentially run Sentebale.

I'm not going to be surprised though if the Invictus Games are under the umbrella of Archewell Foundation as a passionate cause they aid and support. Much like it was under the Royal Foundation back then. Harry will remain involved but not in the day to day running and planning and footwork that needs to be done.

Old 02-19-2021, 09:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
He has not turned against his family. Harry has publicly stated more than once he had issues with the life he was born into, long before Meghan, he said he thought of leaving, he was not happy etc.

LaRae
I usually refrained on commenting on this, but I've seen you posting something similar to this so many times since last year... but it's not really true, is it? Yes, Harry did express his frustration with the royal life, his wish to leave it all behind, we can all find the interviews and the rumours and everything else.

But what kind of stings me here is that you're ignoring YEARS of growth for Harry, his best years, when he became one of the most likeable royals. He was responsible, dependable, he went to therapy, he confronted his demons, he felt better and settled himself into his role. It did not come easy to him, but somehow he thought it was something worth fighting for. And just because it's fitting your argument here, trying to wipe that period from his life is a huge disservice not only to Harry, but to all the people who are struggling, who might read this and think that they'll always be judged by their worst days, instead of the best ones.

Old 02-19-2021, 09:36 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
It always has been run as it's own entity with its own governing board of directors. Even when it was under the umbrella of the Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry (later The Duke and Duchess of Sussex) that even had it's own board of directors running the umbrella. Harry, as you said, is the figurehead and he will continue in that role as long as he feels he's able to. Sentebale is the same with its own board of directors that essentially run Sentebale.

I'm not going to be surprised though if the Invictus Games are under the umbrella of Archewell Foundation as a passionate cause they aid and support. Much like it was under the Royal Foundation back then. Harry will remain involved but not in the day to day running and planning and footwork that needs to be done.
Hmmmm the foundation would have to ask for that as a way of promoting the charity. Which is essentially what the royal foundation do. They support charities to gain a foothold and get support and many then fly the nest. Invictus will probably stay the way it is. It's board of directors are in England and it does very well.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
I usually refrained on commenting on this, but I've seen you posting something similar to this so many times since last year... but it's not really true, is it? Yes, Harry did express his frustration with the royal life, his wish to leave it all behind, we can all find the interviews and the rumours and everything else.

But what kind of stings me here is that you're ignoring YEARS of growth for Harry, his best years, when he became one of the most likeable royals. He was responsible, dependable, he went to therapy, he confronted his demons, he felt better and settled himself into his role. It did not come easy to him, but somehow he thought it was something worth fighting for. And just because it's fitting your argument here, trying to wipe that period from his life is a huge disservice not only to Harry, but to all the people who are struggling, who might read this and think that they'll always be judged by their worst days, instead of the best ones.

Because he had gotten help and seemed to be reconciled to that life does not erase the years prior either. He stated AFTER his marriage his issues with the media focus and how it was his decision to go. He left the family business he did not leave, abandon or turn his back on his family.

ETA: seeing as how Meghan (and Harry) are continually judged in this group based on their worst days (so to speak) perhaps your comments should be directed and those who continually find fault with The Sussexes and judge them for it.

LaRae
Old 02-19-2021, 09:52 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie.c View Post
I'm drawing a blank...has Meghan done anything with National Theater since they left the U.K.?

This is certainly putting HM and the Firm in a position they would probably prefer not to be in. Royal Patronages being held by non-working royals who aren't supposed to be actively identifying as working on HM's behalf...Yikes.
In March 2020, statements were released by the National Theater that they were working with Meghan behind-the-scenes on projects that would be revealed at some point. We have to keep in mind that the pandemic has slowed a lot of activity related to acting and theater productions.

Plus, how would we know what contact Meghan has had all along during 2020 with her U.K. charities and indeed with her close friends and family? Meghan has always been in the habit of working hard behind-the-scenes on beneficial collaborations prior to launching or revealing much of anything that's been in-the-works.

Whatever she'd been working on with the National Theater may still go ahead in some format without her continued assistance. Or, whatever was in-the-works may have already been abandoned in part due to the pandemic and the difficulty of traveling. If the latter is the case, we may never hear about her behind-the-scenes efforts at all.

It was with the Queen's consent that M&H continued to hold their U.K. patronages in a way that has always been uncertain since they stepped down from senior royal duties. There was never a question that the charities Harry specifically created he would continue to be associated with. For that reason, I thought Harry might continue with the Queen's Commonwealth Trust. To my understanding, the QCT was developed by Harry in 2016 with the aid of Sir Christopher Geidt who at that point still served as the Queen's private secretary. Geidt was forced out of his private secretary role in 2017, and he was later named in an official administrative capacity to the QCT.

The Queen does not hold any official connection with the QCT, outside of it carrying her name, and likely as a courtesy, she has some kind of authority to name people as officers and administrators. I would have thought that the QCT's Board would have more authority and leeway over their affairs. However, it's likely that M&H decided it was best to no longer be associated with the group in order to avoid further speculation and scurrilous non-stories in the U.K. tabloids every time they speak about a topic that someone decides to twist or mischaracterize.

Here are articles and quotes I remember reading about last year:
https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebr...theatre-visit/

https://allworldreport.com/world-new...meghan-markle/

"Mr Norris told The Telegraph in March 2020: ‘There has been no indication at all from [DoS] that her engagement with us would be anything other than business as usual. She has proven to be a very engaged patron and we look forward to working with her. She has star reach, and she understands the nature of what we're trying to do.'"
Old 02-19-2021, 09:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

Indeed. Help doesn't erase the past, it helps you to find healthy ways to deal with it.

Help didn't mean that it was going to make him better with the life he lived. It may, and it seems it did, help him realize he wasn't going to be healthy living like that. That he needed to find his own path and a life outside of what was causing him the stress and issues. And that is what he has found, or is on the road to finding now with his wife, son and the new baby on the way.

Harry understood he needed to find a balance. He is dedicated to his charity work like Sentebale and Invictus, but the royal role is not one he was fit for. He is finding a way to be able to do what he is passionate about, without drowing under the pressure he felt from his role. Simply because you are born to be a royal doesn't mean you are cut out for it either.

I have said it many times the British really need to embrace the way of other monarchies. The heir of the throne is the only other full time royal needed to the monarch. Other members can easily be part time royals, do patronages and the odd appearance, but have private lives. If Harry had been encouraged from day one to be like the Yorks, having a private life but with patronages, things may have turned out much different for him. Instead he chafed under the constant pressure and scrutinty of the 'full time royal' and he left.

[...]
Old 02-19-2021, 09:58 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Because he had gotten help and seemed to be reconciled to that life does not erase the years prior either. He stated AFTER his marriage his issues with the media focus and how it was his decision to go. He left the family business he did not leave, abandon or turn his back on his family.

ETA: seeing as how Meghan (and Harry) are continually judged in this group based on their worst days (so to speak) perhaps your comments should be directed and those who continually find fault with The Sussexes and judge them for it.

LaRae
Depends what you think a bad day is? Depends on your value system? The most pragmatic and objective thing you could say about Meghan and Harry is: They are adults. They made choices about their lives. Choices have consequences and benefits. You must loose something in order to gain something. All change is a gamble. Nothing about anything that has happened negates that. It is the way the firm have treated them. Their behaviour throughout all this is a matter of perception. But in the end, when it all ends, when the chips are down all other members of the royal family are judged against the Queen. A person who, as Harry once said, put her DUTY before anything she may have wanted to do. He didn't. He didn't have to. He made another decision but because of that he will come up short to certain people.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:07 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Indeed. Help doesn't erase the past, it helps you to find healthy ways to deal with it.

Help didn't mean that it was going to make him better with the life he lived. It may, and it seems it did, help him realize he wasn't going to be healthy living like that. That he needed to find his own path and a life outside of what was causing him the stress and issues. And that is what he has found, or is on the road to finding now with his wife, son and the new baby on the way.

Harry understood he needed to find a balance. He is dedicated to his charity work like Sentebale and Invictus, but the royal role is not one he was fit for. He is finding a way to be able to do what he is passionate about, without drowing under the pressure he felt from his role. Simply because you are born to be a royal doesn't mean you are cut out for it either.

I have said it many times the British really need to embrace the way of other monarchies. The heir of the throne is the only other full time royal needed to the monarch. Other members can easily be part time royals, do patronages and the odd appearance, but have private lives. If Harry had been encouraged from day one to be like the Yorks, having a private life but with patronages, things may have turned out much different for him. Instead he chafed under the constant pressure and scrutinty of the 'full time royal' and he left.
[...]
The UK is far too populated for this to work and the royal family have far to many responsibilities. And not all other monarchies work like this. Sweden has the eldest two children work for them. To basically pound the pavement and push the flesh as much as the British royals do...prepandemic...you can't get away with 4 working members. And also potentially have those people be effective parents, slow down as they age, have space for themselves. I didn't know how the Spanish royals do it but can only conclude they do not do the same amount of leg work.

Of course you change the working model you can do anything but the British royal family literally go everywhere.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:

LaRae
As we have no insight into private relations between members of BRF, it's hard to say if he did - or he didn't. But between living on a different continent, a global pandemic and the way he left the family, I'd say they have every right to feel a little bit abandoned.

Well, I think Harry (and Meghan) are being judged pretty fairly here, actually. One could argue though that there haven't been a lot of "best days" for the Sussexes for quite a while... not entirely without the Sussexes' fault.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
The Queen does not hold any official connection with the QCT, outside of it carrying her name, and likely as a courtesy, she has some kind of authority to name people as officers and administrators. I would have thought that the QCT's Board with have more authority and leeway over their affairs. However, it's likely that M&H decided it was best to no longer be associated with the group in order to avoid further speculation and scurrilous non-stories in the U.K. tabloids every time they speak about a topic that someone decides to twist or mischaracterize.
HM, The Queen is the royal patron of The Queen's Commonwealth Trust. That's official. "The Queen's Commonwealth Trust, also known as the QCT, was launched on The Queen's 92nd birthday, 21 April 2018. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex were subsequently appointed President and Vice President of the Trust later that week, a role which they kept until February 2021."

The Queen will still be very much associated with the QCT as it's patron. Harry and Meghan will not.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:20 PM
Heir Apparent

[...]

The statement "all are saddened by their decision" suggests that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are considered by the Queen and Buckingham Palace to be highly desirable for the role of royal patron and that there were hopes for their return. There is nothing in the statement that implies they are disgraced in the eyes of the Queen, Buckingham Palace, or the public, or that the announcement was intended to disgrace them.

https://www.royal.uk/buckingham-pala...duchess-sussex
Old 02-19-2021, 10:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
As we have no insight into private relations between members of BRF, it's hard to say if he did - or he didn't. But between living on a different continent, a global pandemic and the way he left the family, I'd say they have every right to feel a little bit abandoned.

Well, I think Harry (and Meghan) are being judged pretty fairly here, actually. One could argue though that there haven't been a lot of "best days" for the Sussexes for quite a while... not entirely without the Sussexes' fault.
Adult children marry and typically move away from their families, are these families being abandoned? The standards they are being held to are not realistic or fair.

As far as being judged fairly it is one thing to say you know I think this Oprah interview is a huge mistake. Its another when ppl use that to bring up every past thing and pile on and have another go at them ...all day ppl have done nothing but rehash things clear back to their dating days forward.

LaRae
Old 02-19-2021, 10:35 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

[...]
But then unlike other monarchies, I heard that the British royal family on average have more royal patronages or even do more engagements. They would also have to consider the Commonwealth countries including tours (when COVID-19 eases). The direct heirs to the throne probably cannot juggle between both domestic engagements and international diplomatic tours by themselves, especially when Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis are still young. And thank goodness for The Princess Royal, Earl & Countess of Wessex, Duke & Duchess of Gloucester, Duke & Duchess of Kent and Princess Alexandra for serving the country and supporting The Queen.

Since Harry & Meghan leaving the Royal Family as working royals, The Queen, Palace and most royal commentators have decided that part-time royal would not work, because it's almost like "having your cake and eat it" (having the privileges as royal in terms of greater opportunities, but not completely fulfilling responsibility and duties).

This is unless the Royal Family decides to cut down the number of engagement and involvement of patronages and causes. However, I would expect some backlash from critics suggesting that the royals are not fulfilling their duties, whilst being very wealthy. The Royal Family could theoretically massively decrease the percentage (initially started at 15%) of Crown Estate Revenue that goes into the Sovereign Grant and letting the rest of it go to The Treasury. Another possibility is to change the income distribution in Duchy of Lancaster and Duchy of Cornwall. However, given the number of staffs and cost of maintenance/renovation of Crown Estates, reducing the Sovereign Grant or other private income would not keep the checks & balance right.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Times saying most of Harry’s patronages and honorary titles will not reassigned except Marines to Anne.

They think National Theater to Edward.
Old 02-19-2021, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

Closed for moderator review.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:31 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
... celebrities pushing charitable causes are a dime a dozen here in the states, so it’ll be interesting to see if their message resonates w/ the unbiased (for or against) among the audience.
Interesting commentary and speculation. Based on their words and actions, I have witnessed how M&H already resonate with a large global audience. The 'Inspired by the Sussexes' fundraising campaign last year independently raised $130,000 for CAMFED (an African educational charity for women and girls). In fact, a number of M&H charities have received a wellspring of donations from Sussex supporters. When they learned of the CAMFED donation, M&H promptly acknowledged that support by double-matching those funds with another $130,000 outright to CAMFED.

Meghan and Harry aren't your average 'celebrities pushing charitable causes.' The Sussexes have always been guided throughout their lives with the gene of compassion. Together, and via their Archewell Foundation collaborations, they are creating something wide-ranging and special from their hearts. Who they are and what they are doing in the world resonates with a lot of people. Stay tuned.

https://twitter.com/mariashriver/sta...08756208238593
Old 02-22-2021, 02:45 AM
Majesty

Wonderful to read of Harry and Meghan's donation on Sunday to the women's shelter in Texas, damaged in the recent terrible storm. These women and their children are so vulnerable. I'm sure good use will be made of the donation given in the Archewell name. Archewell contributions like this one are sure to come up in the interview.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/cele...?ocid=msedgntp

Thank you MaiaMia for posting the original link above.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:55 PM
Royal Highness

I wanted to say that the Archewell website has been changed. They have removed the I am my mother's son and pic of Diana. I saw the forum was closed.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:59 AM
Majesty

I was just wondering if the newly released Sentebale Report and accounts for Sentebale (August 2020) could please be posted in the Sussex charities thread. Itís a very interesting and colourful report on the progress made in Malawi and Lesotho and Iím pleased it is still one of Harryís charities.

http://3nci582v3ztm44c7lq3ruz2z-wpen...2020_final.pdf
Old 04-30-2021, 10:38 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I was just wondering if the newly released Sentebale Report and accounts for Sentebale (August 2020) could please be posted in the Sussex charities thread. Itís a very interesting and colourful report on the progress made in Malawi and Lesotho and Iím pleased it is still one of Harryís charities.

http://3nci582v3ztm44c7lq3ruz2z-wpen...2020_final.pdf
Thanks for posting. The situation in Lesotho and Botswana is dire. The administrative costs are somewhat high, but that is not unusual for smaller NGOs and sometimes these organizations can fill gaps that larger charities can't.

Closed Thread