The Duke and Duchess of Sussex: Transition & Future

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacknch

Former Administrator
City
Suffolk
Country
United Kingdom
This thread is to discuss the Transition & Future of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

Discussion on the announcement that they made earlier last month - and subsequent events - took place in the "Stepping Back" thread. That thread is now closed as well as those discussions.

In this new thread, the Moderating team will not tolerate bickering, in-fighting, snarky comments directed at all and sundry, off-topic discussions, de-railing discussions, back-and-forth arguments or unnecessary debate etc. Such posts would make the thread untenable as well as making browsing the thread an unsavoury experience for the larger portion of our membership base - and will be deleted without notice.

Other members who follow the rules and contribute to a civil discussion should not have to be be penalised with the threat of a thread being closed or by having to navigate through the types of posts described above made by members unable to follow the rules nor able to respect the opinions of others.

Moving forward, we expect our members to act civilly, reasonably and responsibly, as well as having a focus on constructive and mature discussion and debate. Those that do not, will find themselves facing a warning and possible suspension.

The Transition & Future thread will NOT be host to discussion about or including the following:
  • The media, journalists, journalism, paparazzi, photographer, reporters etc
  • Relationship with other members of the Royal Family
  • The Markle family
  • Any other subject not DIRECTLY related to the Sussex's Transition and Future.
  • Unsubstantiated unsubstantiated gossip, rumour, speculation or hearsay
  • Accusations or inference of racism towards other posters or members of the media
  • Off-topic remarks
  • Aggressive tones
  • Agenda-driven posts
  • Bickering
  • Repetitive and circular discussion
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and as long as it does not break any of the TRF Rules and Guidelines and meets the above principles, it may be posted here.

Any and all issues are to be directed to the moderating team via private message.

Last edited by a moderator:
Duke and Duchess of Sussex: Transition & Future

Welcome to The Duke and Duchess of Sussex: Transition and Future thread

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

· Only pictures that you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles, so no more than 20% of an article
text should be posted, along with the link to the original article.
· We expect our members to treat each other, and the royals and persons in these threads, with respect.
· The Report Post button is for reporting inappropriate content in a post if no moderators or administrators are online.
· Threads should remain on topic. Posts which are irrelevant or disruptive
will be deleted or moved by one of the moderators.

Apparently the idea is for him to give an interview for their employees to watch on You Tube! No idea what about, but they've reportedly done this with a number of well-known people, including Victoria Beckham - presumably it's some kind of "motivational" thing. I wish my employers would pay me to watch celebs talking on You Tube!

The Times reports Sussex is in negotiations with Goldman Sachs about being a guest speaker for the global bank, and discussions are thought to have been going on for about a year..
I posted elsewhere about the record of Goldman Sachs in Greece and elsewhere. It seems deeply questionable that a 'noted humanitarian' like him would wish to be associated [in any capacity] with such an organisation.

They’ve been in discussions since November, apparently....so well before they were actually “out”, and at a time when supposedly Harry was discussing this with his father....

Apparently the idea is for him to give an interview for their employees to watch on You Tube! No idea what about, but they've reportedly done this with a number of well-known people, including Victoria Beckham - presumably it's some kind of "motivational" thing. I wish my employers would pay me to watch celebs talking on You Tube!

It would be interesting to hear what Harry may have to say as a motivational speaker. He has served in the armed forces and has done some good charitable work, but it might be argued the platform for a lot of that was provided by his family. Outside of his royal heritage, it will be interesting to see what he has to offer.

That said, best of luck to H&M in their commercial endeavours, just hope they do not end up trading too much on their royal status, or in any way embarrassing the BRF.

They’ve been in discussions since November, apparently....so well before they were actually “out”, and at a time when supposedly Harry was discussing this with his father....

I have seen it mentioned on Twitter that the Sussexroyal website was registered in April 2019. So for all intents, it appears that the plan was in place for a long time before 8 January 2020!

I have seen it mentioned on Twitter that the Sussexroyal website was registered in April 2019. So for all intents, it appears that the plan was in place for a long time before 8 January 2020!

Which would mean that Meghan gave the Royal life even less of a shot than I’d thought...

It was a more likely scenario it was originally intended to be their foundation website (which it still kind of is) and once separated used it for their overall official one.

Based on other reports it would seen Harry was in conversation for one of his patronages. My guess the newly announced Travelyst initiative. But who knows since no one has confirmed any of the reporters.

Harry and Meghan are axing 15 staff and closing their Buckingham Palace office.

It is the surest sign yet that the couple and their son Archie are unlikely ever to return to the UK to live.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex broke the news to their team in person in January following the announcement that they were stepping down as senior working royals.

While one or two may be absorbed back into the royal household, most are now negotiating redundancy packages.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...twitter_dailymailUK&__twitter_impression=true

Well...I feel so sad for the 15 employees. Harry and Meghan didn’t even give this the year (when this would all be reviewed). I don’t understand why they wanted to keep Frogmore - they will barely ever use it; it should belong to people who truly want to live there.

It makes sense to me that they're closing the BP office. They're no longer going to be working for the "Firm" and have office space available for them at BP that comes with working for the "Firm".

However, it doesn't indicate to me in any real way that they'll not spend part time in the UK and at Frogmore Cottage. They may even establish their own office somewhere to handle the UK side of their endeavors.

Time will tell. We'll definitely know more once their foundation is officially launched.

I suppose it's not really practical to run between two countries thousands of miles apart, especially with a toddler. I'm sorry for the people who've lost their jobs, though. And it's rather frustrating that millions of pounds have been spent on doing Frogmore Cottage up, presumably to Harry and Meghan's personal tastes, only for them to move out so soon afterwards. I hope someone who really wants to live there moves in soon ... although I don't know who might.

It makes sense to me that they're closing the BP office. They're no longer going to be working for the "Firm" and have office space available for them at BP that comes with working for the "Firm".

However, it doesn't indicate to me in any real way that they'll not spend part time in the UK and at Frogmore Cottage. They may even establish their own office somewhere to handle the UK side of their endeavors.

Time will tell. We'll definitely know more once their foundation is officially launched.

Closing the BP office makes sense if they plan on absolutely never doing any engagements again..in which case I guess there’s no point in reviewing this matter in a year.

I just don’t see them ever living in the UK for any length of time, in which case they don’t need Frogmore. I just think it deserves better than to be sitting unused.

Based on what I’ve read, I think this is a permanent thing

I feel sorry for the people who actually left other jobs out with the royal family to join them.

They have made it clear they will return to the UK for part of the year. It makes sense they keep Frogmore. They need a base when in the UK. For security and other purposes makes sense. It’s not like they are taking up housing needed by others. And since they are paying back the work done on it I see no need to complain. They aren’t the first people to have more then one home.

They really don’t need a full staff in the UK for the few patronage’s they keep there. It makes more sense for their office to be where they are working in the business sense not charity sense. And that is not the UK.

Eugene and Beatrice prove you can do patronage’s without having an office and staff to over see it. The Sussexes work in the Uk will be on par with them now.

As for the staff any who already worked for the royals like the lady who did heads together will have a new job found for her. Like the staff at Frogmore. Others like the former ambassador will easily have a new job either back in foreign service or corporate. Working for royals won’t hurt that. The other staff well they will get a severance package and the job looks good on the resume.

Last edited:
I think having worked for them on a CV will powerfully help them to find a good job !

I thought they let go of the staff at Frogmore as well? And I also read that they were looking at an 11 million pound house to buy ( or maybe it was dollars) in Canada.

I don't see the issue. Why would they maintain a full time staff of 15 people when they will spend most of their time outside the UK? Having a small team around the launch of the foundation makes more sense. And as the need to expand grows then add on.

Also it just practical to start from a clean slate. Too many people from other offices there. Too many leaks. Clearly some trust issues within their own camp. This gives everyone a fresh start.

They are apparently doing two engagements for sure with maybe a few more added on but it seems March will be the last of it. March is spring. So is this it?

Two official Royal events. They will likely make sure to visit patronages and such while there. I'd be surprised if they didn't spend a few weeks at least to do the events, some patron visits, visit friends and family. Longer trip so easier on Archie.

May be the last official events. It seemed that they were going to do what they were already scheduled for and nothing more. Outside their patronages, even Harry didn't attend a large number of official duties. It was mainly his patronage work. Those are two different matters.

I thought they let go of the staff at Frogmore as well? And I also read that they were looking at an 11 million pound house to buy ( or maybe it was dollars) in Canada.

Most if the staff was transitioned into other roles. Except those who were recent hires. Found jobs within the royal household.

The rumors of house wanting and irises are so far just that.

My mother just called to say did you hear Harry is moving to Hollywood. She thought it wasn't shocking as my dad is from Vancouver island and my parents thought it was too boring for the couple.

Last edited:
Closing the BP office makes sense if they plan on absolutely never doing any engagements again..in which case I guess there’s no point in reviewing this matter in a year.

I just don’t see them ever living in the UK for any length of time, in which case they don’t need Frogmore. I just think it deserves better than to be sitting unused.

Based on what I’ve read, I think this is a permanent thing

I agree as well that this is permanent. I'm sorry for those who left other positions that their time with the Sussexes was short lived, but hopefully they will be able to find employment quickly.

I think having worked for them on a CV will powerfully help them to find a good job !

No it won’t, it really really won’t. Meghan, and Harry by connection, are now considered toxic of the highest degree, not to mention the general hostility towards them over their treatment of the queen, Charles and William.
No sane employer would want to get near any one who choose to work for them, they essentially failed their job in making sure they don’t screw up (which they did) they couldn’t even stop Harry and Meghan from publishing that proclamation and that idiotic demand list.

Actually, I believe it was the staff that worked at the Sussex office in Buckingham Palace that were let go as that office is closing due to Harry and Meghan no longer being a part of or working for the BRF "Firm".

They may still have an office and staff in the UK eventually as I don't believe they're giving up incentives and involvement in working with charities and patronages that they feel close to that were not and are still not part and parcel of what their "official BRF" work was such as Invictus Games, Hubb Kitchen, Smart Works and such. In other words, the personal connections they've already established and will keep.

If I'm remembering right, the Sussexes do still plan to spend part of the year in the UK and aren't abandoning the UK forever and not looking back. ?

I've seen so much speculation on homes they are looking at. Most of them are ridiculous choices. A lot of them are in the 15 million dollars plus range...many even higher than that. I don't think they could afford a house like that right now.

One was in a trendy neighborhood in Vancouver right on the waterfront. That house is nestled in between 2 beaches. That stretch of water is filled with pleasure craft, paddleboards etc. It wouldn't offer them much privacy.

I think that these stories are pure speculation.

No it won’t, it really really won’t. Meghan, and Harry by connection, are now considered toxic of the highest degree, not to mention the general hostility towards them over their treatment of the queen, Charles and William.
No sane employer would want to get near any one who choose to work for them, they essentially failed their job in making sure they don’t screw up (which they did) they couldn’t even stop Harry and Meghan from publishing that proclamation and that idiotic demand list.

Wait, I don’t know what CV is, but if you’re referring to the employees that were let go, how on earth would anyone blame them for Harry and Meghan’s actions?

TLLK:

I agree as well that this is permanent. I'm sorry for those who left other positions that their time with the Sussexes was short lived, but hopefully they will be able to find employment quickly.

I hope they can find work within the royal family....

I’m pessimistic about Harry ever doing anything much beyond these last couple of events....I’m kind of doubtful now that he’ll show up for even family events, like Trouping the Colour. I know that’s official, but still, it’s the Queen’s birthday event - it’s not like he’d be working. I hope I’m wrong.

:previous: While I too hope that some will be able to find work within the "Firm," some of them left positions with the Royal Foundation and I have to wonder if they might have already been replaced.:sad:

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex: Transition & Future

I am too. What a waste for them. There’s nothing fun about job hunting- especially when you don’t have one.

While this was obviously a practical decision, it makes my sympathy for Meghan and Harry go down further. They could’ve saved a lot of people a lot of trouble- including their family- had they really thought things through from the beginning.

Last edited:
Wait, I don’t know what CV is, but if you’re referring to the employees that were let go, how on earth would anyone blame them for Harry and Meghan’s actions?

A CV is basically a resume, but more detailed.

I agree, the people were employees not minders, it wasn’t their place to make The Sussexes do anything.

Last edited:
Actually, I believe it was the staff that worked at the Sussex office in Buckingham Palace that were let go as that office is closing due to Harry and Meghan no longer being a part of or working for the BRF "Firm".

They may still have an office and staff in the UK eventually as I don't believe they're giving up incentives and involvement in working with charities and patronages that they feel close to that were not and are still not part and parcel of what their "official BRF" work was such as Invictus Games, Hubb Kitchen, Smart Works and such. In other words, the personal connections they've already established and will keep.

If I'm remembering right, the Sussexes do still plan to spend part of the year in the UK and aren't abandoning the UK forever and not looking back. ?

No. They would have worked with the staff of these organisations. They are not their staff...even though Harry set up Invictus. A staff was hired to run it. They don't work for Harry per sae

American media now beginning to 'turn' on Harry and Meghan. And by that I mean just starting to question the narrative they put forward. It's what happens.

Besides their commonwealth role, and honorary military, their charity work is the official BRF role. That's part of their official gig.

True, no doubt they will continue with their charities. They have she they will. But in reality that doesn't require a staff. If anything maybe an assistant fir scheduling. Those charities have their isn trained staff.

Patronage wise they are basically the York girls now. They have a small handful of patronages. Like the York girls they don't really need a staff to over see that. They don't need the umbrella of a foundation so no need for foundation staff,

Makes more sense to focus their effort and money on staff for their business and initiatives. That is where they will need the help if any.

I am too. What a waste for them. There’s nothing fun about job hunting- especially when you don’t have one.

While this was obviously a practical decision, it makes my sympathy for Meghan and Harry go down further. They could’ve saved a lot of people a lot of trouble- including their family- had they really thought things through from the beginning.

I was laid off from work last April as my office closed, and I just really found a job a few weeks ago. Rebecca English doesn’t think more than 2 or 3 will be reassigned, so if true, that’s pretty much it for these poor folks who have been - from what I’m reading - incredibly loyal to Harry and Meghan.

I’m afraid I agree with Richard Kay (swipe right to read his editorial), though I won’t lay this all at Meghan’s feet as Harry is clearly very happy to ditch his family and birthright. Yes, I’m aware that this doesn’t mean that he’ll never return, or that he can’t communicate with people via Skype or whatever, but we don’t know that’s the case. I’m personally sad about the whole thing - for Charles, William, etc.. - while at the same time, I don’t give a darn what they do and I’m glad NY papers aren’t reporting on them.

A CV is basically a resume, but more detailed.

I agree, the people were employees not minders, it wasn’t their place to make The Sussexes do anything.

Thank you!

You can’t make adults do anything...the Sussexes staff got shafted.

American media now beginning to 'turn' on Harry and Meghan. And by that I mean just starting to question the narrative they put forward. It's what happens.

Poppy, I’ve read one article bashing Harry and Meghan (but, it’s the NY Post); have you read more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom