The Duke and Duchess of Sussex: Transition & Future

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I think this is all very strange and I am also one of those who think this is not going to end well. I truly believe that it was Meghan who wanted to leave the UK and the royal family. And Prince Harry for love went after his wife and son. I don't know what their future will be like, but with today's announcement we learn that there is still a lot to resolve in the near future.

Its hard to say. I cant help feeling that maybe the 2 of them planned this some time ago and never intended to be full time royals... they just did a year or so to establish themselves, then planned to get out and make money

I am happy that Harry got his family out of there

I'm happy about that too...

Last edited:
but they are not (the other royals) moving out or partly out of Royal life, and planning to set up a new career wehre they WILL be using the fact that they are royals as the main attraction of their business. Of course social status is bound to be a factor with those younger minor royals who have business careers.. its impossible to completely take it out of the equation… but as far as I can see, H and Meg seem to have felt (probably correctly) that they could launch into a new career not because they really have anyting to "sell" but just because of who they are.. and they're using that to try and earn their living.
and even with the minor royals tehre is always a certain amount of feeling that at times they may drive over the thin line between " a little bit of using the fact that my mum is the queen's daughter" and naked exploitation.
Harry and Meghan are unique in that they wanted to give up their status as full-time working royals to allow themselves to generate income, but to me that is a distinction without a difference. Neither Harry, Meghan nor any other royal can unring the bell that they are royal by birth or marriage and with that comes interest in them and opportunities.

However what I was pointing out was that working members of the BRF, from The Queen on down have pursued private income. In the case of The Queen all it takes is a quick perusal of the websites of The Queen's privately owned estates Balmoral or Sandringham to see that money making is happening and royal tie-ins are being used.

With the Sussexes, TPTB can and did step in to govern certain things like the use of their titles, styling and the term royal in their branding, but the Sussexes wanting to enrich themselves and "exploit" their royal status is not unique or unprecedented.

How about $u$$ex for the new branding?
:lol:

Last edited:
The Sussex comments on their website sound incredibly defensive and, frankly, disrespectful, of the others who have opinions which may differ from their own. Did they really think that the institution surrounding the monarchy would actually allow them to just go off and do whatever they want? I realize that they (read: Meghan) thought that they could put out their statement of demands and see how much they could get … well, they now know that there are going to be restrictions.

They wanted to have their cake and eat it too! Foolish!

Clearly H and M did not write this statement or else it would have sounded much more personal. I firmly believe some PR flunky - who’s terrible at his or her job - wrote it. This is the Sussexes personal website; they need to get a handle on it because whoever’s communicating its the public through this is making H and M sound completely unaware and silly.

I think the statement was VERY personal. It was completely unprofessional. They made it clear they were not not happy with the decisions made by the BRF aka HM aka Harry’s grandmother. No professional would have written such a whiny, passive aggressive, disrespectful, angry statement unless directed to do so imo.

If they didn’t personally write it, I believe they surely knew exactly what it would say. It was too hostile. And fits with exactly what they’ve been doing- and standing by- since at least the interview. Bottom line for me- their statement- their responsibility imo.

Someone described them as a “loose cannon” unthread. I have to agree. If this is what they’re willing to say and do publicly, I can only imagine what it’s been like behind the scenes. Unpleasant, I imagine. I never bought into: “Meghan’s difficult to work with” prior to this. I’m more than willing to believe both were/are now.

I’m pretty over these two right now. Which is unfortunate. I think they have a lot going for them. I think they’ve done a lot of good and likely still can. But- all of this consistently childish, unprofessional behavior over the last few months has really soured me on them. It’s not a one-off. It’s a mindset they seem stuck on.

They’ve had time to think things over since it became clear they wouldn’t get their way, time to think about their public response- and THIS was what they came up with?!

I understand if they’re unhappy, think things are unfair. Fine. Say it behind closed doors- to friends. Act like professionals. Everyone has job related issues. Most people are smart enough to not complain publicly. Especially after the decision is made.

Writing this I’m reminded of Meghan’s complaint that the “British stiff upper lip” doesn’t work. I guess she meant for EVERYTHING. Because it would appear they just want to vent their feelings publicly on a variety of unfair, to them, things. Even now.

Last edited:
Harry and Meghan are speaking from a place of privilege and it's showing.

I think they were simply trying to explain what is happening themselves instead of the press doing so.

They weren’t explaining imo. They were complaining about the results and clearly conveying their unhappiness.

Why they think that’s a good idea, IDK. Maybe they want sympathy and think this will get it for them: the BRF is mean, unfair, etc. Maybe some will sympathize. Others will just see them as entitled, whiny, unprofessional, disrespectful, spoiled, etc. If they like being controversial- I suspect they’ve succeeded.

What I don’t see is how this kind of a statement helps family relationships, which we know for a fact- thanks to Harry regarding William- have been strained. And this whole debacle has probably caused other relationships to be strained. This kind of statement doesn’t seem like a good way to mend things and move forward from a personal POV.

I’m almost exhausted by hearing about this whole situation. So much for departing for Canada to live a quiet life away from the press...

They are a disgrace and I agree this was complaining. I am really horrified at this statement and hope that this is not going to be their preference that each time something happens they don't like they have a public whinge. Honestly IMO this whole thing is going to be a real problem for HM I am really sad for her

I don't know if it will be "fine" for the 2 of them. I think that for now, they may get favourable coverage in the USA and they'll make money for the present but it may not last that long..They will still earn but it wont be big bucks and they may not be so much liked. I don't know who is paying for tehir security in Canada but I don't think the Can People will want to do it indefinitely if they are covering it now.. and there will be issues about where they will live, how long they can stay abroad etc.

And the opposite of all you speculate could happen. Only time will tell. None of us know the future. It will depend on what they do. Wish them all the luck.

Going off to do their own thing is one matter. Going off and flipping the finger to the monarchy is entirely another!

I agree with a previous poster who commented that they are speaking from a place of privilege.

They claim they want their privacy but still air their laundry in public. Very foolish!

You’re definitely not the only one who caught it and, frankly, that particular statement tells me that the reports from yesterday of Meghan’s tantrum and statements that they can’t legally stop her from using “Royal” might have been a whole lot closer to the mark than a lot of people want to admit. These two have been walking that disrespectful and defiant border for quite some time but this whole statement jumped right on it and did a little dance.

Agreed.

For all the talk from “sources”, fans, etc about them not really caring about being royal or titles, wanting to be “royal” is clearly quite important to them. They made that painfully clear.

Yes- the reports of Meghan’s tantrums on this subject seem believable following this statement. They don’t like the decision. In short: We’re going along with the decision, but we don’t HAVE to do so. I guess we’re supposed to be impressed with how “respectful” they are since they’re complying anyway? Yet- just by what they said and how they said it- they really just conveyed the exact opposite of respect.

So- yeah- they like being royal when and how it suits them. They’re not, imo, as “normal” nor do they WANT to be as “normal”, as they’re often being credited for.

They claim they want their privacy but still air their laundry in public. Very foolish!

Yeah. Go figure. You can’t want privacy that badly when you complain publicly.

What they really seem to want is control imo. Over absolutely everything. And they’re not getting it.

Part of what puts me off about pretty much every statement and interview they’ve done is that they seem so self centred for people who claim to want to spend their lives helping others.

They go on about how much sympathy they have for strangers in need, but seem to have no recognition that they aren’t the first British royals to have had major problems. William, for example, also went through his parents’ nasty divorce, then the death of his mother, the intrusive press, having to reckon with being born into a life he wouldn’t have necessarily chosen for himself or his children, etc. The Queen hasn’t led a charmed life by any stretch, Charles has had major issues and stress, (some of it self induced).

If Harry wants to leave then he should go, but he could do so without taking catty little swipes at those who have decided to stay.

The cynical part of me acknowledges that sustaining this dramatic narrative as long as possible is good for the sort of brand they seem to want to create. They now traffic in website clicks and Instagram likes and episodic, (unnecessary), updates hinting at conflict involving the British Royal Family will keep those topped up much more than straightforward posts about charity work.

I’m almost exhausted by hearing about this whole situation. So much for departing for Canada to live a quiet life away from the press...

It is pretty exhausting and I think that while there has bene a fascinaton with what is happening. and how they have reacted and a wondering "what are they doing and what do they want?" that will fade away before too long. to be honest if Will and Kate were a little more charismatic, I think tat the public and royal watchers would have grown fed up with H and Meg by now even...

I think that's why their interview in Africa put a lot of people's backs up - they were on the world's poorest continent, and all they could do was moan about how hard their own lives were. It can be very helpful for Royals to talk about their problems. There are major issues in the UK with young men not seeking help for mental health problems, and Prince William teaming up with well-known footballers to do so has had a very positive effect. Ditto Zara speaking out about her miscarriages, because a lot of people still find that a difficult subject to discuss. But doing it in a whingey way can be very annoying.

I think that's why their interview in Africa put a lot of people's backs up - they were on the world's poorest continent, and all they could do was moan about how hard their own lives were. It can be very helpful for Royals to talk about their problems. There are major issues in the UK with young men not seeking help for mental health problems, and Prince William teaming up with well-known footballers to do so has had a very positive effect. Ditto Zara speaking out about her miscarriages, because a lot of people still find that a difficult subject to discuss. But doing it in a whingey way can be very annoying.

There are ways of talking about problems that can be helpful.. (albeit I am not sure I like it all thtat much)… I didn't watch the Africa documentary but I saw a few minutes of it. I felt it was fakey..(from what I've read and seen) that they were indeed talking more about themselves than the people they were there to shed light on..and that it was all done with an eye to "how will the public take this"...
But Ive had a sort of uneasy feeling about Harry for a while.. even before he began to have a relationship with Meghan.. that he was while sincere in his desire to be helpful, a bit too inclined to "want to be loved".. Maybe that is a trait in his character that's coming out more now.. and Meg has encouraged him to "ask for love" when he is doing an engagement..whether its from the camera or the people.. or the watching public...

I’m almost exhausted by hearing about this whole situation.

It is pretty exhausting

You're exhausted? Really? Where's this deluge of information coming from to make you both exhausted? I hardly see or hear anything about the Sussexes other than on this forum. I think there have only been a couple of public announcements about them in the last month.

I think the statement was VERY personal. It was completely unprofessional. They made it clear they were not not happy with the decisions made by the BRF aka HM aka Harry’s grandmother. No professional would have written such a whiny, passive aggressive, disrespectful, angry statement unless directed to do so imo.

If they didn’t personally write it, I believe they surely knew exactly what it would say. It was too hostile. And fits with exactly what they’ve been doing- and standing by- since at least the interview. Bottom line for me- their statement- their responsibility imo.

Someone described them as a “loose cannon” unthread. I have to agree. If this is what they’re willing to say and do publicly, I can only imagine what it’s been like behind the scenes. Unpleasant, I imagine. I never bought into: “Meghan’s difficult to work with” prior to this. I’m more than willing to believe both were/are now.

I’m pretty over these two right now. Which is unfortunate. I think they have a lot going for them. I think they’ve done a lot of good and likely still can. But- all of this consistently childish, unprofessional behavior over the last few months has really soured me on them. It’s not a one-off. It’s a mindset they seem stuck on.

They’ve had time to think things over since it became clear they wouldn’t get their way, time to think about their public response- and THIS was what they came up with?!

I understand if they’re unhappy, think things are unfair. Fine. Say it behind closed doors- to friends. Act like professionals. Everyone has job related issues. Most people are smart enough to not complain publicly. Especially after the decision is made.

Writing this I’m reminded of Meghan’s complaint that the “British stiff upper lip” doesn’t work. I guess she meant for EVERYTHING. Because it would appear they just want to vent their feelings publicly on a variety of unfair, to them, things. Even now.

If you surround yourself only with people who agree with you, such a statement makes perfect sense.

It confirms a thought I have had for some time now. That H&M are increasingly living inside a self-created bubble.
There are seemingly no one left who says: "Don't say that!"
No one to advise them, who has a detached, professional view.
No one who cries: "Iceberg ahead!"

It's actually sad to watch.

I think that "they" wont be nearly as lauded in a year or 2 as they think they will. Even in the US.

Quite honestly, I can already sense a sea change in interest in this couple since Megxit, based solely on office "water cooler" chat. The attachment to the Royal house might be something that gave this couple a little extra fairy dust that will not follow them to Canada.:ermm:

Last edited:
I wish the person who writes their statements knew how to use the & The.

Of course it was unprofessional..it was also cold, passive aggressive and snarky. That doesn’t mean Harry and Meghan wrote it, and ultimately it doesn’t matter if they didn’t, because they are responsible for everything that appears on their website. They would have had to have approved that statement even if a PR flunky did write it. They sound unhappy and frustrated, and hence they seem to want to tell everyone that they left reluctantly (in other words, that they were ousted out).

Camelot, I agree completely!

What tantrum of Meghan Is being reported? I didn’t read anything...

Allison: I think that this interview might have started turning people who liked, but weren’t in love with, H and M against them. I know that I, who had defended Meghan vehemently in other threads, was pissed off. She claimed to lack support, but Africans lack food and water.

Harry’s personality seems to be similar to his mother’s. It’s not doing him any favors.

I can see some of it, but Diana had a level of PR savviness, emotional intelligence and an innate understanding of the limits of her charm and appeal that seems to escape her younger son, not to mention his wife.

Diana also benefited from the times in which she lived. The image of the BRF was quite different when she came on the scene 40 years ago. Despite his popularity, Harry does not command the same level of fascination and loyalty that Diana did.

Well, having got to the end of their statement the only word that comes to mind is impertinent.

What tantrum of Meghan Is being reported? I didn’t read anything...

There are reports circulating that she basically had a tantrum about the whole thing and told her friends that “the use of the word Royal really shouldn’t matter anyway,” “they can’t legally stop her from using the word Royal,” “as a family they will always be considered royalty,” and “Harry and Archie have Royal blood and no one can take that away.” Along with a host of other things that, if even kind of true, paint her in a very, very bad light.

There are reports circulating that she basically had a tantrum about the whole thing and told her friends that “the use of the word Royal really shouldn’t matter anyway,” “they can’t legally stop her from using the word Royal,” “as a family they will always be considered royalty,” and “Harry and Archie have Royal blood and no one can take that away.” Along with a host of other things that, if even kind of true, paint her in a very, very bad light.

Their passive-agressive statement seems to confirm that there is some truth to the story of Meghan's tantrum.

"While there is not any jurisdiction by The Monarchy or Cabinet Office over the use of the word ‘Royal’ overseas, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex do not intend to use ‘Sussex Royal’ or any iteration of the word ‘Royal’ in any territory"

Actually, on rereading, some of this statement is downright bloody rude. Who do they thing they're talking to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom