The Duke and Duchess of Sussex: Transition & Future

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the 12 month review period has been put in place to protect the BRF. It’s not for Harry and Meghan’s benefit and I don’t see it as the door being left open for a partial return to the institutional fold.

The couple’s behaviour had surely been problematic from the point of view of The Royal Family even before Harry and Meghan’s surprise online announcement to everyone, (including The Queen), about how things were going to be going forward. With that announcement, however, they took things to a new level and showed everyone what they were willing to do to get their own way. I’m sure Harry’s family loves him dearly and wants the best for him and his family, especially now that there’s a baby involved, but as professional royals, he and Meghan showed themselves to be completely untrustworthy.

If that untrustworthiness was due to the emotional volatility that sometimes accompanies the sort of mental illness Harry has alluded to in the past then, as one person to another, he has my sincere sympathy and I hope this new set up somehow provides him with a more positive life going forward. But it was becoming very obvious that he and Meghan couldn’t continue the way they were going and remain effective working royals.

Right now it seems that Harry and the BRF and their advisors have come to a gentlemen’s agreement that will only work if everyone adheres to it in both letter and in spirit. I think the next 12 months are meant to be Harry and Meghan’s opportunity to demonstrate their willingness to hold up their end of the bargain so that more formal, and likely more stringent, measures don’t need to be put in place.

You nailed it! This is my view as well!

What an astonishing statement. I wasn't expecting that, at all.

I can't imagine what the Sussexes were thinking when they posted that statement; it comes across as petulant and unprofessional, and doesn't in any way make them look sympathetic. It really, really makes me wonder what on earth is going on with them, and who, if anyone, is giving them advice, or if they are listening to any advice at all.

or if they are listening to any advice at all.

I suspect your last statement hit the nail on the head. They've made too many foolish decisions that could have easily been avoided.

That's the way the ball bounces. At least Harry should have had an idea about how the machinery of his parent's house works. And that his position as the son of the future king could maybe not be compared 1:1 to other members of the family.
My father used to say "first think - then speak".

Good luck to them.

They sounded like they were complaining about not being able to earn their own income, which there is “precedence” for, according to them.

It sounds childish, whiny, and unprofessional to me. Have they not learned anything? The decision was made. Just accept it gracefully imo.

Exactly. This is what happens in negotiations. I'd like a higher salary and more annual leave, and I'm sure most other people would do, but we don't whinge and strop because we aren't getting it.

I thought that Harry's honorary military titles had now gone to Anne.. They may say they will review things in a year, but I agree that Meghan's behaviour In January suggested she did not want to stay..

What behaviour? Meghan came to the UK and then went back to her son, staying quietly in Canada. Now Harry stays quietly there as well, besides private events where press information is surely unwanted.

Everything else is purely speculation.

Now I speculate on my own: Harry said he could not longer stand the treatment his wife and son received in the Uk. So they gave up their job, took the little boy and live now privately in a remote corner of Canada. I say that because I had a friend who lived in Victoria on Vancouver Island for years and she described it as remote when it came to travel. And they live even further away from the capital with the airport and ferry port.

IMHO the fact that they couldn't trust their staff in the thick of the Royal household-media connections let them decide not to stay quietly at their cottage in Windsor.

IMHO what the RF hops is that they find out that as soon as they open up more to a social life, being it in Canada or the US, will show them that they are hounded there as well as in the Uk, so they might return. After all, they can get "key speaker appointments" in exchange for charity donations as Royals as well.

What I hope is that they find what they are looking for and can live quietly on working as charity ambassadours. Raising their son in peace and harmony.

For I have yet to see that Meghan is so keen on returning to the stage as a celebrated celebrity. We all don't know her. We have ideas about Harry's dreams because he spoke out about them but we don't know what Meghan wants. I followed the British news when she was pregnant and IMHO it was abdominable how she was treated. So for me the getting away from all of that was the real reason why they left their positions and the statement about earning their own money was used against them, when they IMHO just wanted to get away from the papers claiming that they are payed by the public on using that to battle everything they did.

I thin their family knows all this and has allowed them to have their space.

I believe in what they published here about their own situation: https://sussexroyal.com/spring-2020-transition/

And I have faith in the love and understanding of HM and the PoW for their grandson resp. son and his family. So I won't keep reading about the opinions of my right honorable co-members of this forum and just stick to my own positive thoughts about Meghan and Harry.

Last edited:
I think that is totally out of question now as no Canadian PM would nominate a GG who is not a Canadian citizen and has a long standing connection to Canada . Even if Harry became a naturalized Canadian, he wouldn’t stand a chance.

Of course it is out of the question, and with the way they are behaving even more so...

Just a thought, maybe what they referred as "precedent" was William working as Rescue Pilot (after his RAF career). That time technically William was an employee for other institution outside RF (as Rescue Pilot), got paid (which he donated to charity), while still able to work as "part time working royal" where he still perform royal duty and undertake foreign tour.
But of course, in William's case with him working as Rescue Pilot, he still worked for UK (England?) so there's no conflict of interest ensued.

That was completely different. William knew he was going to be a full time royal in a few years but for a time, he was able to take on a job, a public service type job, not a business one.. wehre he donated his salary to charity, and did some part time royal duties and Kate did a small number of royal duties but she was having her family so she wasn't considered a working royal. They want to be "in" and "out" of the RF when it suits them...

After reading this whole column I haven't heard anyone mention a question I have. That is, does anyone think this all goes back to one item. Harry and Meghan could not decide anything for themselves, They could not decide what to do without permission. They could not decide on income needs or what they wanted to spend their money on. Everything was dictated, I wouldn't expect any modern couple to like not really being independent. As such, I'll just sign off and see what happens in the future. See you in a year. I'm not a fan of all this speculation.

that's the penalty of being a full time royal. if you are doing the royal job, there are restrictions in what you can do. In return you get a lot of wealth, social prestige and freedom to enjoy yourself as you please in down time. If they want to be independent, they need to pay for their own security, their own expenses, not take money from Charles and earn a living.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently there is a thing called the 'Paris Convention' The detail of which prevents the use and dissemination of protected symbols, names and logo's Worldwide..

The Ducal Coronet currently shown over their entwined Initials is one such image, and will 'have to go'..
In short they are legally prevented [worldwide] from utilising anything which references their [ex] Royal Status..

https://www.wipo.int/treaties/en/ip/paris/summary_paris.html

Last edited:
Am I the only one who caught the bit about how the Monarchy has no jurisdiction over the word Royal...but the Sussexes will play along and follow orders not to use it? Really? I mean...basically "you can't enforce it if we decide to defy you"...:eek:

Yes, this latest communique just screams PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE.

I was never as taken with Harry as other media and Royal watchers, but i never saw him adopting such a defiant borderline disrespectful stance with his father and grandmother. I don't know what is happening with him now.

And I don't see it ending at all well.:ermm:

For persons allegedly 'not fussed' about Titles [see Archie ,'Earl of Dunbarton'] they mention their full titles FOUR times in that short statement !

Clearly we are not to be permitted to forget 'who they ARE'...

For persons allegedly 'not fussed' about Titles [see Archie ,'Earl of Dunbarton'] they mention their full titles FOUR times in that short statement !

Clearly we are not to be permitted to forget 'who they ARE'...

I think that "they" wont be nearly as lauded in a year or 2 as they think they will. Even in the US.

I'm sitting here still in a state of being perplexed after reading through their recent statement. Three times. I'm not Vulcan but at times I do believe that I think logically and, to me, this recent influx of information is not logical at all.

The statement itself does not seem to serve any real purpose at all. To correct misreporting? To state the facts? To give a tantalizing peek inside something that is still being constructed and still has all the painter's drapes and tapes and remnants of carpentry or otherwise known as a royal mess? Is it to remind us that they're going to be up close and personal again in the UK? Is it the final farewell to the old and in with the new?

Logic tells me that the responsible way to handle a release would be to wait until after all senior royal duties and engagements have been fulfilled and midnight has struck on the clock to denote its April 1st and a good time to crack open the champagne to celebrate the Sussexes brand new life with a brand new "entity" ready to do what they want it to do.

Perhaps they're seeing the Instagram account receiving less hits these days and we need to be reminded that they're still alive and well and gonna roll out the red carpet in a "new and innovative" way? I don't know. It just doesn't feel "right" to me for an unknown reason yet to be determined.

Weird is all I can say. Very weird.

Kinda seems that way.

My issue is it sounds like they don’t really respect the decision of HM. The buck stops with her. It sounds disrespectful to me. They’re complaining imo about her decision. And since I’m sure Charles, and likely William, was in agreement with this, it sounds disrespectful to them too imo.

Did anyone tell them that you don’t always get what you want, no matter how fair you think it is?

We have no idea how good or bad Harry and Meghan’s relationships are with the family now, but I find it hard to believe statements like this are helping matters. It’s not accepting, graceful, conciliatory. I mean- they’re the ones that made an announcement without it being approved. And even after all that chaos, they can’t just note the decision without sounding like they’re complaining.

This.

Was it really necessary to say this? It doesn’t matter if this were announced sooner, it’s not relevant. This statement appears to be a dig at the media.

We had hoped to be allowed to share these details with you sooner (to mitigate any confusion and subsequent misreporting),

Or This, which makes it sound like Harry and Meghan believe they are being treated almost like children, needing a year end review.

While there is precedent for other titled members of the Royal Family to seek employment outside of the institution, for The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, a 12-month review period has been put in place.

Clearly H and M did not write this statement or else it would have sounded much more personal. I firmly believe some PR flunky - who’s terrible at his or her job - wrote it. This is the Sussexes personal website; they need to get a handle on it because whoever’s communicating its the public through this is making H and M sound completely unaware and silly.

This.

Was

Clearly H and M did not write this statement or else it would have sounded much more personal. I firmly believe some PR flunky - who’s terrible at his or her job - wrote it. This is the Sussexes personal website; they need to get a handle on it because whoever’s communicating its the public through this is making H and M sound completely unaware and silly.

or could it be that H and M ARE completely unaware and silly?

l think they are probably wholly unaware of the shift in Public perception of them since they 'decamped' ?
Who , around them in Canada would be aware of it, or dare tell them even if they knew ?
Their Household/offices here are disbanded, so there is likely no-one keeping them abreast of the VERY evident change in the way Brits see them ?

Am I the only one who caught the bit about how the Monarchy has no jurisdiction over the word Royal...but the Sussexes will play along and follow orders not to use it? Really? I mean...basically "you can't enforce it if we decide to defy you"...:eek:

The Monarch and the Cabinet do have jurisdiction in the UK, as the Sussex Royal statement acknowledges by using the word "overseas":

"While there is not any jurisdiction by The Monarchy or Cabinet Office over the use of the word ‘Royal’ overseas, [...]"​

From the Lord Chamberlain's Office:

"Sections 55 and 1047 of the Companies Act 2006 and Regulation 8 of the Limited Liability Partnerships (Application of Companies Act 2006) Regulations 2009 prohibits companies (including overseas companies) and limited liability partnerships from being registered under a name which includes any of the sensitive words specified in the Company, Limited Liability Partnership and Business Names (Sensitive Words and Expressions) Regulations 2014, unless the approval of the Secretary of State has been obtained. The sensitive words specified in the 2014 Regulations include Royal, Queen, King, Prince or Princess."

"Using Royal names or Royal residences on products, rather than as part of a Company’s name, is illegal if the use of the name suggests the goods have some connection with or are supplied to a Member of the Royal Family. It is only proposed to vary these rules on occasional events of national importance."​

It is unclear to me whether the laws are enforceable. No fines or other penalties are mentioned in the listed sections of the Companies Act 2006.

^ l refer you to the 'Paris Convention' [dated 1883] , the detail of which prevents the use and dissemination of protected symbols, names and logo's Worldwide..

The Ducal Coronet currently shown over their entwined Initials is one such image, and will 'have to go'..
In short they are legally prevented [worldwide] from utilising anything which references their [ex] Royal Status..

'Each Contracting State must refuse registration and prohibit the use of marks that constitute a reproduction, imitation or translation, liable to create confusion, of a mark used for identical and similar goods and considered by the competent authority of that State to be well known in that State and to already belong to a person entitled to the benefits of the Convention'.

'Each Contracting State must likewise refuse registration and prohibit the use of marks that consist of or contain, without authorization, armorial bearings, State emblems and official signs and hallmarks of Contracting States, provided they have been communicated through the International Bureau of WIPO. The same provisions apply to armorial bearings, flags, other emblems, abbreviations and names of certain intergovernmental organizations'.

Last edited:

When it comes to their public image, yes..especially if Harry assumes that the public’s love and sympathy for him will absolve him for anything. Judging by Twitter, he’d be right. I’ve seen the most vulgar and ugly tweets directed towards the Queen especially (BRF also), with the general thought being that she’s throwing a tantrum in not allowing H and M to have their way.

When it comes to their public image, yes..especially if Harry assumes that the public’s love and sympathy for him will absolve him for anything. Judging by Twitter, he’d be right. I’ve seen the most vulgar and ugly tweets directed towards the Queen especially (BRF also), with the general thought being that she’s throwing a tantrum in not allowing H and M to have their way.

Im surprised (but then I don't really go on Twitter..). when I see comments on stories about H&M- the general trend is anti the pair of them.. There are occasional times when people support them or knock the queen/rest of RF for not supporting them.. but usually the comments tend to be hostile to Meghan and to a lesser extent towards Harry. Of course they're not necessarily representative of the population as a whole but they are still much more inclined to be unkind than supportive or admiring of the pair. Usual idea is that M married Harry out of ambition and that she' never intended to stick at the job.. and that he hasn't quite realised how she's been playing him to get him to chuck his royal role... Some see both of them as having never had a real commitment to the job and that they are walking out because they don't want to do it and they want to make money...

If I were harry and read the comments occasionaly, I feel I'd be a little bit worried that there was certainly a set of people who didn't think me a charming chap

Last edited:
I see both sides getting positive and negative attention. I don’t take social media all that seriously but seeing morning, news and debate shows take on it has been interesting. There are wide range of opinions and that in itself says a lot.

So it will an interesting period for all of them but ultimately I feel it will be fine. Most right now just having immediate reactions. Time will always tell and the next 2 weeks will be important.

^ l refer you to the 'Paris Convention' [dated 1883] , the detail of which prevents the use and dissemination of protected symbols, names and logo's Worldwide..

'Each Contracting State must refuse registration and prohibit the use of marks that constitute a reproduction, imitation or translation, liable to create confusion, of a mark used for identical and similar goods and considered by the competent authority of that State to be well known in that State and to already belong to a person entitled to the benefits of the Convention'.

'Each Contracting State must likewise refuse registration and prohibit the use of marks that consist of or contain, without authorization, armorial bearings, State emblems and official signs and hallmarks of Contracting States, provided they have been communicated through the International Bureau of WIPO. The same provisions apply to armorial bearings, flags, other emblems, abbreviations and names of certain intergovernmental organizations'.

Thanks! If I have understood it correctly, for emblems other than state emblems, grant of trademark protection in Britain is a precondition for other contracting states to grant the same protection. In the Trade Marks Act 1994, Chapter 26, the royal crown is designated as a "protected emblem", but the coronets of other members of the Royal Family are not expressly mentioned.

In any case, the Act provides that "the relevant member of the Royal Family" may give consent for their emblem or image to be used in a trade mark.

4 Specially protected emblems.

(1)A trade mark which consists of or contains—

(a)the Royal arms, or any of the principal armorial bearings of the Royal arms, or any insignia or device so nearly resembling the Royal arms or any such armorial bearing as to be likely to be mistaken for them or it,

(b)a representation of the Royal crown or any of the Royal flags,

(c)a representation of Her Majesty or any member of the Royal family, or any colourable imitation thereof, or

(d)words, letters or devices likely to lead persons to think that the applicant either has or recently has had Royal patronage or authorisation,

shall not be registered unless it appears to the registrar that consent has been given by or on behalf of Her Majesty or, as the case may be, the relevant member of the Royal family.​

As a side note, the coronet in the Sussexes' monogram and armorial bearings represents a child of the oldest son and heir apparent of the monarch. It is distinct from the coronet used in the armorial bearings or monograms of nonroyal dukes.

I see both sides getting positive and negative attention. I don’t take social media all that seriously but seeing morning, news and debate shows take on it has been interesting. There are wide range of opinions and that in itself says a lot.

So it will an interesting period for all of them but ultimately I feel it will be fine. Most right now just having immediate reactions. Time will always tell and the next 2 weeks will be important.

I don't know if it will be "fine" for the 2 of them. I think that for now, they may get favourable coverage in the USA and they'll make money for the present but it may not last that long..They will still earn but it wont be big bucks and they may not be so much liked. I don't know who is paying for tehir security in Canada but I don't think the Can People will want to do it indefinitely if they are covering it now.. and there will be issues about where they will live, how long they can stay abroad etc.

Yes, this latest communique just screams PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE.

I was never as taken with Harry as other media and Royal watchers, but i never saw him adopting such a defiant borderline disrespectful stance with his father and grandmother. I don't know what is happening with him now.

And I don't see it ending at all well.:ermm:

You’re definitely not the only one who caught it and, frankly, that particular statement tells me that the reports from yesterday of Meghan’s tantrum and statements that they can’t legally stop her from using “Royal” might have been a whole lot closer to the mark than a lot of people want to admit. These two have been walking that disrespectful and defiant border for quite some time but this whole statement jumped right on it and did a little dance. I 100% agree with you that this won’t end well. For either of them. And at this point I’d say it’s a safe bet that relationships with the rest of the family might very well be irreparable or, at the very least, forever changed and not for the better.

As a side note, the coronet in the Sussexes' monogram and armorial bearings represents a child of the oldest son and heir apparent of the monarch. It is distinct from the coronet used in the armorial bearings or monograms of nonroyal dukes.

It is, and so its usage comes under the direct jurisdiction of the Lord Chamberlain [Earl Peel], a man who carefully protects the rights of HMQ [above ALL others].

The Sussexes are unlikely to get 'much joy' from him...

While there is precedent for other titled members of the Royal Family to seek employment outside of the institution, for The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, a 12-month review period has been put in place.
Hmmm, peevishness aside, this is an interesting statement. I am surprised that they used the term employment versus private income, because there are full-time royals from The Queen on down who generate private income and I doubt that they refer to themselves as Elizabeth Mountbatten-Windsor, Anne Mountbatten-Windsor, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, etc. on the paperwork.

I can't bring myself to have oodles of sympathy for Harry and Meghan, because while I do see them being treated differently due in part to the extreme scrutiny they receive, as someone else noted, their behavior (to me and that commenter) comes off as comparable to Veruca Salt. Ironically, I think that the Sussexes' website release stunt gave the BRF PTB more leverage in the "Sussexit" negotiations.

Loose cannon comes to my mind...
Throwing a tantrum because the BRF did not give in to their demands.
To go online with such a statement, again, speaks volumes about how full they are of themselves and how little respect they have for the BRF and the institution.
Either they have bad advisors or they refused to be advised.

It will all end in tears, easy to see.
I guess the 12 month review period is damage control by the BRF.

Lots of bad press will follow
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...sing-Sussex-Royal-brand-territory-spring.html

How about $u$$ex for the new branding?

Hmmm, peevishness aside, this is an interesting statement. I am surprised that they used the term employment versus private income, because there are full-time royals from The Queen on down who generate private income and I doubt that they refer to themselves as Elizabeth Mountbatten-Windsor, Anne Mountbatten-Windsor, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, etc. on the paperwork.

I can't bring myself to have oodles of sympathy for Harry and Meghan, because while I do see them being treated differently due in part to the extreme scrutiny they receive, as someone else noted, their behavior (to me and that commenter) comes off as comparable to Veruca Salt. Ironically, I think that the Sussexes' website release stunt gave the BRF PTB more leverage in the "Sussexit" negotiations.
but they are not (the other royals) moving out or partly out of Royal life, and planning to set up a new career wehre they WILL be using the fact that they are royals as the main attraction of their business. Of course social status is bound to be a factor with those younger minor royals who have business careers.. its impossible to completely take it out of the equation… but as far as I can see, H and Meg seem to have felt (probably correctly) that they could launch into a new career not because they really have anyting to "sell" but just because of who they are.. and they're using that to try and earn their living.
and even with the minor royals tehre is always a certain amount of feeling that at times they may drive over the thin line between " a little bit of using the fact that my mum is the queen's daughter" and naked exploitation.

I think they were simply trying to explain what is happening themselves instead of the press doing so. I see nothing wrong with what they wrote. The Queen does not own the word Royal that is a fact. I also don't believe for one minute they didn't know they wouldn't be using the word. It was discussed at the very beginning.
If this family were so together this would not be happening. They all seem to have issues.
I am happy that Harry got his family out of there and wish them a wonderful life.

Honestly, I think this is all very strange and I am also one of those who think this is not going to end well. I truly believe that it was Meghan who wanted to leave the UK and the royal family. And Prince Harry for love went after his wife and son. I don't know what their future will be like, but with today's announcement we learn that there is still a lot to resolve in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom