The Duke and Duchess of Sussex: Transition & Future

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes they would. Harry and Meghan put in the claim. They have to remove them but the BRF can put on their own claim immediately. I would be shocked if they just allowed any common joe to own Sussex Royal. That would be stupid but who knows. Maybe they don’t care.

I feel the opposite. I think they want out of the year long trial period but know it’s part of the agreement. But it reads to me they rather not.

Who knows though.

It all kicks off soon as Harry has an engagement on Wednesday. So the countdown begins.

What makes you think they'd rather not have such a 12-month review period?

The places where they put it, suggest to me that they might have hopes that they will be allowed back in in some official capacity:
* It is stressed in the following sentence: While there is precedent for other titled members of the Royal Family to seek employment outside of the institution, for The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, a 12-month review period has been put in place.
It doesn't really make sense to stress this review period unless you hope to also be allowed back in (as that is what according to you can be considered 'an option' - as there is a precedent for it in their eyes)

The next two mentions are related to Harry's military associations; it was never part of their plans to give it up and he lamented it in his speech at Sentebale. So, Harry seems to hope that he might keep those appointments after the review period - otherwise he could have given them up now. But instead he stresses that while he is not allowed to undertake any military engagements (of course he states it slightly more positively: he will not use it as they are in the gift of the Sovereign)

So, I see little evidence of them being in favor of not having a 12-month review period and not hoping to get more out of it than they do now (that doesn't mean that the BRF most likely also sees benefits in having such a review period).

"Foundation" suggests, although doesn't necessarily mean, a charity, which - in the UK, not sure about elsewhere - would have to be registered with the Charities Commission and meet a lot of rules.

In Liechtenstein for example, one of my favourite little monarchies, you can have a "for profit" foundation. Foundation in this sense just means, that somebody independent from the founder controls the finances. A little overview can be found here:
https://www.liechtenstein-business....rs/Founding-a-company/Legal-forms/Foundations

I am in no way implying, that our runaway royals here are planning such a foundation, but for the record...

I am surprised at the foundation news. I thought that is what they want. But that would really involve a lot of money...like Bill Gates distrubuting money to charities. Non profit means I guess they can fundraise for running costs too. They are smaller and really that is what they need. It will probably have a simple focus.

I doubt Prince Harry will have any particular difficulty in finding things to do. Being the son of Charles and Diana attracts and will still do for many years. It’s not exactly that he needs to go up on a stage and introduce himself. We shouldn’t underestimate him. He haven’t been sitting on his ass and done nothing for 35 years. He is an experienced solider and an experienced charity leader. He knows perfectly what leadership is and he knows perfectly what managing is. And i don’t think he is dumb when it comes to economy. I don’t think his future is dark just because he has decided to not inagurate schools, hospitals and undertake official visits as a Prince of the United Kingdom anymore.

And i don’t think it’s out of the question that he in a few years time will be announced as Governor General or a Lieutenant Governor...

I doubt Prince Harry will have any particular difficulty in finding things to do. Being the son of Charles and Diana attracts and will still do for many years. It’s not exactly that he needs to go up on a stage and introduce himself. We shouldn’t underestimate him. He haven’t been sitting on his ass and done nothing for 35 years. He is an experienced solider and an experienced charity leader. He knows perfectly what leadership is and he knows perfectly what managing is. And i don’t think he is dumb when it comes to economy. I don’t think his future is dark just because he has decided to not inagurate schools, hospitals and undertake official visits as a Prince of the United Kingdom anymore.

And i don’t think it’s out of the question that he in a few years time will be announced as Governor General or a Lieutenant Governor...

I think when it comes to charm and skills at putting people st ease. Top notch. But really he has never managed or run anything. He has an idea and hires people to run it. Not that the ideas aren't great.

I think when it comes to charm and skills at putting people st ease. Top notch. But really he has never managed or run anything. He has an idea and hires people to run it. Not that the ideas aren't great.

I think (and hope) he will get good help. There is certainly no shortage of people who wants to help him and cooperate with him. The biggest challange in these cases are usually finding the right people...

As i understand their office at Buckingham Palace will be closing, i doubt we will ever get to know a lot about exactly wich people works with him.

I personally find the transition announcement on the SussexRoyal website rather patronising towards the royal house;

https://sussexroyal.com/spring-2020-transition/

The likes of the following comments in particular;

“While there is precedent for other titled members of the Royal Family to seek employment outside of the institution, for The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, a 12-month review period has been put in place.” - that “precedent” links to their own previous announcement last year.

“which has understandably been a saddening for The Duke and Duchess and their loyal staff, given the closeness of Their Royal Highnesses and their dedicated team.” - the dedicated team they made redundant, and didn’t take anyone abroad with them.

Plus the patronising use of the words “as per the agreement” continually.

That does not sound good imo.

They frankly sound unhappy and seem to feel this isn’t fair. I’m not familiar with a situation truly similar to what they announced.

I think (and hope) he will get good help. There is certainly no shortage of people who wants to help him and cooperate with him. The biggest challange in these cases are usually finding the right people...

As i understand their office at Buckingham Palace will be closing, i doubt we will ever get to know a lot about exactly wich people works with him.

What does he need help for? Can all this palaver stop? I think that apart from the newspapers who enjoy the drama, everyone's sick of it...

They frankly sound unhappy and seem to feel this isn’t fair. I’m not familiar with a situation truly similar to what they announced.

what are they unhappy about now? That they can't use Royal? That they can't make money and be Royal workers? What?

of course it is. Royals are not used in those jobs in commonwealth coutntries any more and have not been for a LONG time. Being the Son of Charles and Diana isn't cutting as much ice nowadays.. He has done 2 stretches of active duty as a soldier and has never had to earn his living. He's going to find it a lot harder than he thinks I suspect.

I am surprised at the foundation news. I thought that is what they want. But that would really involve a lot of money...like Bill Gates distrubuting money to charities. Non profit means I guess they can fundraise for running costs too. They are smaller and really that is what they need. It will probably have a simple focus.

Why? THey said they wanted to step back to earn a professional income. IMO funding charities may have been part of the intention but the main one was to earn money. And IMO the charity fund raising will take a second place to the earning money

Last edited by a moderator:

Basically they thought they mattered. They thought they were a valuable commodity. They erre told. You're not that big. You're not that clever. We can survive without you but you know we will keep an eye because you can't exactly shame us. It would hurt anyone. Basically they were told they were a small cog that isn't even needed.

what are they unhappy about now? That they can't use Royal? That they can't make money and be Royal workers? What?

They sounded like they were complaining about not being able to earn their own income, which there is “precedence” for, according to them.

It sounds childish, whiny, and unprofessional to me. Have they not learned anything? The decision was made. Just accept it gracefully imo.

They sounded like they were complaining about not being able to earn their own income, which there is “precedence” for, according to them.

It sounds childish, whiny, and unprofessional to me. Have they not learned anything? The decision was made. Just accept it gracefully imo.

I used to long for Harry to go away for a couple of years back.. because he seemed to be always showing off... and I wished he'd disappear but his disappearance with Meghan has been so OTT... I can't believe that he could make so much drama.. I read something a while ago about Charles and his sons.. that one author was saying that Charles found that his sons were volatile and hard to predict, just like Diana had been... I didn't know what to make of it, but BOy it is true of Harry at least

Last edited:
That first comment does seem a bit passive-aggressive.... I feel like Harry and Meghan sometimes say or write things that come off badly, that they didn't necessarily mean to convey.

I find it difficult to believe they don’t know how this sounds.

It’s been consistent with them over the last few months. One poorly written statement after another. If they don’t get it (and they should imo; neither are PR novices) surely someone at some point told them. Because it really sounds bad imo.

Any PR person should be able to tell them that just for starters.

I think the 12 month review period has been put in place to protect the BRF. It’s not for Harry and Meghan’s benefit and I don’t see it as the door being left open for a partial return to the institutional fold.

The couple’s behaviour had surely been problematic from the point of view of The Royal Family even before Harry and Meghan’s surprise online announcement to everyone, (including The Queen), about how things were going to be going forward. With that announcement, however, they took things to a new level and showed everyone what they were willing to do to get their own way. I’m sure Harry’s family loves him dearly and wants the best for him and his family, especially now that there’s a baby involved, but as professional royals, he and Meghan showed themselves to be completely untrustworthy.

If that untrustworthiness was due to the emotional volatility that sometimes accompanies the sort of mental illness Harry has alluded to in the past then, as one person to another, he has my sincere sympathy and I hope this new set up somehow provides him with a more positive life going forward. But it was becoming very obvious that he and Meghan couldn’t continue the way they were going and remain effective working royals.

Right now it seems that Harry and the BRF and their advisors have come to a gentlemen’s agreement that will only work if everyone adheres to it in both letter and in spirit. I think the next 12 months are meant to be Harry and Meghan’s opportunity to demonstrate their willingness to hold up their end of the bargain so that more formal, and likely more stringent, measures don’t need to be put in place.

Basically they thought they mattered. They thought they were a valuable commodity. They erre told. You're not that big. You're not that clever. We can survive without you but you know we will keep an eye because you can't exactly shame us. It would hurt anyone. Basically they were told they were a small cog that isn't even needed.

If they don’t matter to the family and aren't needed in the family and were told this — then all this back and forth between them all has truly been for not.

Frankly at this point it’s wise it ends April 1

Did they think that the RF would cave and say they were needed to work part time as they had originally wanted? Im starting to believe that Meghan and possibly Harry had this plan around for ages, before they married and have jut been waiting to spring it on the family.. that they never intended to stay in the job as full time royals.

How about that the Queen didn’t bend to their will...It sounds like a sympathy rattle to me...lol

I find it difficult to believe they don’t know how this sounds.

It’s been consistent with them over the last few months. One poorly written statement after another. If they don’t get it (and they should imo; neither are PR novices) surely someone at some point told them. Because it really sounds bad imo.

Any PR person should be able to tell them that just for starters.

Some people are clueless ....I’m just positing it’s as a suggestion. I admit it’s not likely because they do keep saying the wrong things.

I think the year end review is not complicated - it’s a way to keep the door open. No one wanted H and M to leave. Aside from that, it’s just a practical thing to do - Charles wants to be sure his son is doing well.

Poppy, I couldn’t disagree more. Sure, Harry was told by HM and his father that he couldn’t have a court at Windsor, but by all accounts Charles absolutely intended for Harry and Meghan to be key figures in his reign. It seems to be Harry who for some reason - perhaps because Charles is mentoring William - thought he wasn’t valued

I don't know what the main differences are between a Foundation and a non-profit? Would most Foundation not also be non-profits? Apparently, they still intend to have an 'entity' but not with the name and status of a 'Foundation' - they indeed stated that they were looking for 'innovative ways' to promote their causes (although this new ngo is 'in addition to their cause driven work' - so, what is it for; any thoughts?

The ins and outs about the differences is quite confusing to me to say the least. One thing I did happen to realize though its that its the difference how the tax exempts will work. As most likely, the "entity" they set up will not be limited to the UK or the US or Canada and perhaps involve all three (or even globally), how they set things up may have something to do with taxes.

I guess the best move for me to make here is to wait and see what actually does develop after April 1st. My crystal ball did come back from the shop but unfortunately, its still fuzzy like my mind is trying to sort out the differences between "foundation" and "NGO" and "private non profit organization" "endowments" and "business". No wonder I didn't want to work for the IRS here. :D

This link is interesting in explaining how a non profit organization works.

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/owners-nonprofit-organizations-make-profit-59679.html

When I read the newest headlines today regarding the confirmation of no more Sussex Royal, I headed for their website, still using Sussex Royal.
https://sussexroyal.com/spring-2020-transition/

"As shared in early January on this website, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex do not plan to start a ‘foundation’, but rather intend to develop a new way to effect change and complement the efforts made by so many excellent foundations". Ok no foundation.

I've kinda reached a Sussex saturation point. Seriously, 12 more months of this, I can't take it.Yikes! As much as I've been for team Meghan and Harry, enough already. I can't believe I'm saying it but these two need to get a royal grip. The world is a bit bigger than the two of you. Good luck, I'll check back next year. Time for a nap Zzzzz.

THIS.

I have been trying to give Harry and Meghan the benefit of the doubt but it appears that they have really lost the plot haven't they.

The star of the BRF is THE.QUEEN.

And when she dies, it will be THE.KING.

Everyone else is a bit player and replaceable. They think life will be easier outside the BRF. Yes,they might not have to follow the rules of the Firm but they will have lost the protection of the Firm.

Did they think that the RF would cave and say they were needed to work part time as they had originally wanted?.

Kinda seems that way.

My issue is it sounds like they don’t really respect the decision of HM. The buck stops with her. It sounds disrespectful to me. They’re complaining imo about her decision. And since I’m sure Charles, and likely William, was in agreement with this, it sounds disrespectful to them too imo.

Did anyone tell them that you don’t always get what you want, no matter how fair you think it is?

We have no idea how good or bad Harry and Meghan’s relationships are with the family now, but I find it hard to believe statements like this are helping matters. It’s not accepting, graceful, conciliatory. I mean- they’re the ones that made an announcement without it being approved. And even after all that chaos, they can’t just note the decision without sounding like they’re complaining.

I finally had a chance to read their statement in full and wow...it comes across as patronizing, whiny, petulant, spoiled, and condescending. They appear to be both resentful and reluctant. I don’t think they’re at all in favor of the 12 month review and, in fact, they appear to be quite resentful about it. I think this whole thing smacks of snide passive-aggressiveness and, frankly, I see much of the arrangement as designed to protect the monarchy.

They appear to need to remind themselves of how royal and indispensable they are while pounding home to everyone that they are loved and valued members of the family. It definitely screams loud and clear that they’re genuinely floored that the family didn’t bow down and roll over at their command. I really think was a rude awakening for them and they’re now pouting and sulking while using snide and childish tactics with their statement. They could have easily stuck with a listing of facts but they felt the need to use petulant and passive aggressive language throughout which made their contempt and displeasure quite evident. But, I suppose, that’s the point. They clearly want everyone, including the BRF, to know that they’re stomping around like put out teenagers.

Last edited:
Yes, they claimed that precedent before but never provided the appropriate precedent: which other royal members expect to regularly undertake foreign tours while earning a private income?

Just a thought, maybe what they referred as "precedent" was William working as Rescue Pilot (after his RAF career). That time technically William was an employee for other institution outside RF (as Rescue Pilot), got paid (which he donated to charity), while still able to work as "part time working royal" where he still perform royal duty and undertake foreign tour.
But of course, in William's case with him working as Rescue Pilot, he still worked for UK (England?) so there's no conflict of interest ensued.

The Sussexes seem to be sulking because they couldn’t get their own way. And they discovered, that while the BRF would have found them useful if they had stayed, they were not indispensable. They seem to be desperately hanging onto any scrap of royalness they can, from my reading of their website. I think they were truly shocked by how everything turned out.

I think Meghan may reopen The Tig or something similar, she made money from it. And I definitely can see both of them giving speeches for a fee. There is good money in that.

Last edited:
After reading this whole column I haven't heard anyone mention a question I have. That is, does anyone think this all goes back to one item. Harry and Meghan could not decide anything for themselves, They could not decide what to do without permission. They could not decide on income needs or what they wanted to spend their money on. Everything was dictated, I wouldn't expect any modern couple to like not really being independent. As such, I'll just sign off and see what happens in the future. See you in a year. I'm not a fan of all this speculation.

Yes, they claimed that precedent before but never provided the appropriate precedent: which other royal members expect to regularly undertake foreign tours while earning a private income?

Edward & Sophie? If they mean them, that is a bad precedent to cite, because that didn’t work.

The Sussexes seem to be sulking because they couldn’t get their own way. And they discovered, that while the BRF would have found them useful if they had stayed, they were not indispensable. They seem to be desperately hanging onto any scrap of royalness they can, from my reading of their website. I think they were truly shocked by how everything turned out.

I truly believe that when they were denied their own Court, they had a “we’ll see about that” moment—resulting in the parting to Canada. Big egos. I also think royalness has everything to do with it because of money.

I think that is totally out of question now as no Canadian PM would nominate a GG who is not a Canadian citizen and has a long standing connection to Canada . Even if Harry became a naturalized Canadian, he wouldn’t stand a chance.

I finally had a chance to read their statement in full and wow...it comes across as patronizing, whiny, petulant, spoiled, and condescending. They appear to be both resentful and reluctant. I don’t think they’re at all in favor of the 12 month review and, in fact, they appear to be quite resentful about it. I think this whole thing smacks of snide passive-aggressiveness and, frankly, I see much of the arrangement as designed to protect the monarchy.

They appear to need to remind themselves of how royal and indispensable they are while pounding home to everyone that they are loved and valued members of the family. It definitely screams loud and clear that they’re genuinely floored that the family didn’t bow down and roll over at their command. I really think was a rude awakening for them and they’re now pouting and sulking while using snide and childish tactics with their statement. They could have easily stuck with a listing of facts but they felt the need to use petulant and passive aggressive language throughout which made their contempt and displeasure quite evident. But, I suppose, that’s the point. They clearly want everyone, including the BRF, to know that they’re stomping around like put out teenagers.

In the past few months they've really come across as whiny and it's not a good look for them- the "poor, poor, pitiful me" interview in Africa, the "we didn't want to leave but we were forced out" narrative, and now this statement that was VERY passive aggressive (and there's no way that you can read it as anything but passive aggressive). I think their intended goal was to make themselves come off as being the victims, but it really just has made them look like spoiled children who didn't get their way.

And before anyone jumps on me- I'm not saying that they never experienced anything negative, or haven't been affected by the media/mental health issues/Diana's death/the Markles/etc. I'm just saying the WAY that it came across really did not cast them in a sympathetic light like they wanted it to.

If they don’t matter to the family and aren't needed in the family and were told this — then all this back and forth between them all has truly been for not.

Frankly at this point it’s wise it ends April 1

That's a false narrative: they weren't told they weren't needed; they were told that there are certain boundaries within which they had to function and they refused - so the logical consequence is that they are out.

It was clear that the queen and prince of Wales fully counted on Harry and Meghan to be full-time working members of the family - and during their engagement interview it seemed they were looking forward to taking that role on; and the first months even before the wedding showed exactly that.

However, H&M found out, that they are not THAT indispensable that they can dictate (it is: by earning a professional income but still representing HM in the UK and abroad to a certain extent) to the Sovereign how they are going to contribute to her life work and calling. Unfortunately, they decided that their freedom was more important than the duty they together had taken upon them not that long before.

After reading this whole column I haven't heard anyone mention a question I have. That is, does anyone think this all goes back to one item. Harry and Meghan could not decide anything for themselves, They could not decide what to do without permission. They could not decide on income needs or what they wanted to spend their money on. Everything was dictated, I wouldn't expect any modern couple to like not really being independent. As such, I'll just sign off and see what happens in the future. See you in a year. I'm not a fan of all this speculation.

Where does your impression come from that 'they could not decide anything' for themselves? They could not create their own separate household (and that was most likely a huge blow to them) but that's a far cry from 'everything was dictated'. They surely had a lot of lee-way to take issues on that were important to them; they were entrusted with important roles within the Commonwealth and given some pretty significant other patronages - while also having the opportunity to pursue their own interests and do their own projects. That doesn't look like 'everything was dictated' to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom