The Duke and Duchess of Sussex: Transition & Future

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They keep saying they're rich but not for the scale people like them live on. One of the houses they were supposedly looking to buy costs 24 million dollars. How are they going to afford that?

Who said they are buying a 24 million dollar home?

LaRae

Harry will be promoting Travalyst and will go to Edinburgh for a working summit. They also state that Meghan has a slew of private engagements in the UK. So they will be busy for the Telegraph is claiming is 12 days of engagements.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...-eco-friendly-holiday-scheme-tracking-flight/

If they are here that long then Archie will no doubt be with his parents. I didn't think they would leave him in Canada this time around. It is a much more planned trip unlike last time where they hadn't planned on being in the UK for more than a few days.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been thinking about the financial independence and income portion of this process. I am starting to wonder if the idea is to raise money for the foundation and then they would get a salary from the foundation as "employees". I hope I am wrong because this would be really tricky to pull off and not have it look like more money is going to them instead of the foundation. Also, has there been any indication as to where the foundation is going to be legally situated? Canada, UK, US - all three maybe?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...legally-stopping-using-Sussex-Royal-name.html

more speculation about the branding, keeping or dropping the 'royal'.

As if any of Meghan;s friends would talk to the Daily Mail.

And an update on Sussex Royal.

They will not be using it past March 31. They confirmed it was only trademarked per advice like the Royal Foundation was also trademarked.

Interesting. Just like many said. A protective measure and nothing more. Anyways glad that is done with and everyone can finally move on.

The statement:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERUmiITWkAIDC2-?format=jpg&name=large

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex: Transition & Future

Confirmation from this Sussex Spokeswoman based in London:

“While The Duke and Duchess are focused on plans to establish a new non-profit organisation, given the specific UK government rules surrounding use of the word 'Royal’, it has been therefore agreed that their non-profit organisation, when it is announced this Spring, will not be named Sussex Royal Foundation. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex do not intend to use ‘SussexRoyal’ in any territory post Spring 2020. Therefore the trademark applications that were filed as protective measures, acting on advice from and following the same model for The Royal Foundation, have been removed.”

Last edited:
what else can independent MEAN but making their own money and not being dependent on allowances from his fater?

Independence can mean "making once own money" or to depend on what they already have, but it doesn't mean the money they might make needs to be for their own use. It could also mean if they are paid for documentaries or speaking, all of the money (minus the costs they made) will be for their foundation and not to go shopping.
The impression I get now is that some people think they'll start selling teatowels through a website. You know, teatowels with their photo on it that kind of thing.

They didn't just say they wanted to become independent (although it was obviously a key part given how many times they stressed that)
"and work to become financially independent"
"they will become members of the Royal Family with financial independence which is something they look forward to."
"while having the future financial autonomy to work externally."
"Their Royal Highnesses are hopeful that this change is in the best interest for all and look forward to carrying out their duties to the monarch as well as their charitable work with financial autonomy."
"With their transition to becoming members of the Royal Family with financial independence"

but specifically state they want to earn a professional income:.
"they value the ability to earn a professional income, which in the current structure they are prohibited from doing. For this reason they have made the choice to become members of the Royal Family with financial independence."

(All direct quotes from their website)

And according to their Funding Page financially independent INCLUDES relying on The Prince of Wales to fund them. However, that was before it was clear to them that the BRF would never agree with their terms, so they are probably still figuring out how the balance of earning their own money by external activities and being provided with a (large) sum of money by Harry's father work out.

Last edited:
But they are not depending on what they already have. They are taking money it seems from Charles.. and they are planning to make more money for themselves. I assume that they DO mean to use some kind of merchandising to earnr a living as the issue of their brand has been discussed and the queen has forbidden them to use HRH in their commercial work.
and IMO as long as they're accepting an allowance from Charles, they aren't "independent"....
I assume that they intend to donate some of their earnings to the charities they support but If they spoke of earning a professional income, that seems to indicate "earning our own money which we can spend on ourselves" rather than donating the bulk of it to charity.

My guess is that merchandising won't be their main source of income. Speaking engagements, books, 'lending' themselves to specific causes etc, seem much more likely imho.

Harry will be promoting Travalyst and will go to Edinburgh for a working summit. They also state that Meghan has a slew of private engagements in the UK. So they will be busy for the Telegraph is claiming is 12 days of engagements.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...-eco-friendly-holiday-scheme-tracking-flight/

If they are here that long then Archie will no doubt be with his parents. I didn't think they would leave him in Canada this time around. It is a much more planned trip unlike last time where they hadn't planned on being in the UK for more than a few days.

Well that’s good stuff ...now, I hope to see Archie with his grandpa!

As for Sussex Royal, I’m glad that’s over and done with as it just wasn’t compatible with H and M not being working Royals.

Couldn’t their foundation be named simply “the foundation of the duke and duchess of Sussex”? They still retain the titles and that would enable them to come back after the year when things are “revised” (the naming of the foundation at that stage will be the least of worries in the palace and their PR teams at that point, they’d be busy trying to find a way to spin a positive sorry for these returning to the BRF and to be “senior royals” after the lowly way in which they handled this to overcome the lack of trust and credibility they’ll have to deal with if they do come back).

So it would appear that we do now have confirmation from Harry and Meghan's spokesperson that they will no longer use the word "Royal" in their brand and have withdrawn their trademark applications.

I must say that I find it a bit eyeroll-inducing that they felt the need to include in their statement that they filed those trademark applications because The Royal Foundation told them to. It just sort of smacked of some parting snide remark. But whatever, I can't really say I expected anything differently.

Couldn’t their foundation be named simply “the foundation of the duke and duchess of Sussex”? They still retain the titles and that would enable them to come back after the year when things are “revised” (the naming of the foundation at that stage will be the least of worries in the palace and their PR teams at that point, they’d be busy trying to find a way to spin a positive sorry for these returning to the BRF and to be “senior royals” after the lowly way in which they handled this to overcome the lack of trust and credibility they’ll have to deal with if they do come back).

Why not just The Sussex Foundation?

Yeah, Meghan's friends would all really be rushing to confide in a newspaper belonging to a group that Harry and Meghan are suing. Nothing more likely!

Couldn’t their foundation be named simply “the foundation of the duke and duchess of Sussex”?

Possibly, but the inhabitants of Sussex, may well 'kick up a stink' if they do, not being happy about being associated with this couple, with whom they feel less and less connection.

The Duke and Duchess were very naive to assume that they would be allowed to use the name Sussex Royal for their foundation after their de facto "divorce" from the Royal Household. I suspect they didn't foresee the full consequences of their public announcement in January and actually believed they could have their cake and eat it.

Possibly, but the inhabitants of Sussex, may well 'kick up a stink' if they do, not being happy about being associated with this couple, with whom they feel less and less connection.

Do you know all the residents and how they would react??

People who live in the area have no say over how the area name is used. We have a restaurant called New York fries. Do you think anyone asked if the people of NY care a Canadian poutine restaurant is called after them??

The charity would not be named after the county. It’s named for the couple. It’s basically their last name. It’s like Obama foundation.

I have been thinking about the financial independence and income portion of this process. I am starting to wonder if the idea is to raise money for the foundation and then they would get a salary from the foundation as "employees". I hope I am wrong because this would be really tricky to pull off and not have it look like more money is going to them instead of the foundation. Also, has there been any indication as to where the foundation is going to be legally situated? Canada, UK, US - all three maybe?

I read that their 'UK foundation (staff)' would take care of their UK plans/needed support from the moment they no longer are supported by Buckingham Palace, so that at least suggest that to me suggests their might be organizations/foundations in various countries (most likely at least one in the UK and one in the US or Canada (or indeed in both)).

Confirmation from this Sussex Spokeswoman based in London:

“While The Duke and Duchess are focused on plans to establish a new non-profit organisation, given the specific UK government rules surrounding use of the word 'Royal’, it has been therefore agreed that their non-profit organisation, when it is announced this Spring, will not be named Sussex Royal Foundation. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex do not intend to use ‘SussexRoyal’ in any territory post Spring 2020. Therefore the trademark applications that were filed as protective measures, acting on advice from and following the same model for The Royal Foundation, have been removed.”
It's interesting that the legal prohibition is mentioned instead of this being presented as a logical consequence of them no longer being allowed to present themselves as royals.

Why not 'The Sussex Foundation' - no need for such a long name (if they need a 'subtitle' to their foundation they could make it 'The Sussex Foundation, the Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex'

Why not 'The Sussex Foundation' - no need for such a long name (if they need a 'subtitle' to their foundation they could make it 'The Sussex Foundation, the Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex'

Because, as explained before, "The Sussex Foundation" might imply a misleading connection with the county of Sussex in England.

The Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex is unambigous and legally correct as Harry and Meghan are still entitled to use their ducal dignity.

Because, as explained before, "The Sussex Foundation" might imply a misleading connection with the county of Sussex in England.

The Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex is unambigous and legally correct as Harry and Meghan are still entitled to use their ducal dignity.

But not a good 'brand' as it is way too long.

They could consider naming it 'The Sussexes Foundation' as even the queen called them the Sussexes in her formal statement and in that way there is a distinction between the Sussex area and the family: the Sussexes.

Do you know all the residents and how they would react??

Obv' not, but I did [religiously] read the letters Page of the County newspaper the week after the 'Bombshell' announcement.. and the condemnation was COMPLETE..

It’s basically their last name

Err no.. their last name is Mountbatten-Windsor

Last edited:
I must say that I find it a bit eyeroll-inducing that they felt the need to include in their statement that they filed those trademark applications because The Royal Foundation told them to. It just sort of smacked of some parting snide remark. But whatever, I can't really say I expected anything differently.

Harry & Meghan simply clarified the reason why they filed the trademark in the first place. I suspect they want to end the gossip that the trademark was filed as part of their "escape plan."

It's interesting that the legal prohibition is mentioned instead of this being presented as a logical consequence of them no longer being allowed to present themselves as royals.

It makes sense to me because by filing the paperwork to establish a legal non profit organization and also for trademarking, its a legal process that adhere to specific governmental rules and the limitation of using the word "royal" is one of them. It is done as a precaution to assure that the foundation is covered legally in all areas and protects the foundation from fraudulent means of capitalizing on it.

I'm with Mbruno and others on this one. Remember the hype at first with using the SussexRoyal Instagram? There was someone that already was using that name or similar if I'm remembering right and it had to do with a football team or something?

Whatever they do decide on, it will have to be clear and concise that the name is clearly associated with their foundation and cannot be mistaken for representing something else. It also protects Harry and Meghan from "clones" trying to cash in on their "brand". They may never "market" anything material with their "brand" but it will prevent others from trying to. How often have we heard of a situation where a guy gets a great deal on a Rolex watch from a guy in the back of a van only to discover that the "brand" name in *very* small print says "Rollex". :D

All organizations do these things to protect themselves. They've followed the procedures used for The Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and I imagine as that foundation changed with wives being added over time, they've also had to change the legal paperwork and trademarks each time.

Best all around to be totally and legally protected.

Its also very possible that after April 1st, when the new foundation is launched, it could be named something totally different away from using their names or titles. As an example, if already not in use, they could select something like "Our World". We'll just have to wait and see what they decide on using. ?

Last edited:
They didn't just say they wanted to become independent (although it was obviously a key part given how many times they stressed that)
"and work to become financially independent"
"they will become members of the Royal Family with financial independence which is something they look forward to."
"while having the future financial autonomy to work externally."
"Their Royal Highnesses are hopeful that this change is in the best interest for all and look forward to carrying out their duties to the monarch as well as their charitable work with financial autonomy."
"With their transition to becoming members of the Royal Family with financial independence"

but specifically state they want to earn a professional income:.
"they value the ability to earn a professional income, which in the current structure they are prohibited from doing. For this reason they have made the choice to become members of the Royal Family with financial independence."

(All direct quotes from their website)

And according to their Funding Page financially independent INCLUDES relying on The Prince of Wales to fund them. However, that was before it was clear to them that the BRF would never agree with their terms, so they are probably still figuring out how the balance of earning their own money by external activities and being provided with a (large) sum of money by Harry's father work out.
Odd way of considering themselves financially independent....

My guess is that merchandising won't be their main source of income. Speaking engagements, books, 'lending' themselves to specific causes etc, seem much more likely imho.

Books and speaking about what though? They are almost certainly barred from talking about the RF, and what else have they got to talk about? How are they going to make money from lending themselves to causes? Surely "causes" are what they hope/intend to raise money for?

I hope the plan isn't for Harry to moan about his childhood for large groups. They need to come up with something better.

I hope the plan isn't for Harry to moan about his childhood for large groups. They need to come up with something better.

But what? We don't know what he spoke about at this JP Morgan thing but the rumours appear to be quite strong that it was about his depression. I don't think that is going to be of interest for very long. Meghan going "here is my darling husband to tell you all about his unhappiness..."
But I don't see what else he can really talk about...

what else he can really talk about...

Invictus, Sentebale - interesting subjects with widespread appeal ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom