The Duke and Duchess of Sussex: Transition & Future

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The headline is wrong, but the article is fair. No more Sussex Royal.

I think this is the right decision. Harry and Meghan chose this new life for themselves, and that does not include them being Royal. They wanted independence, now they have it.

They still are Royals. Harry still is Nr. 6 when it comes to the throne and the order of precedence still includes them, so Beatrice and Eugenie still have to curtsey to Meghan when she is with Harry.

It's just that it is expected that they don't use their being Royal to make money directly from that fact. (We all know that people won't forget that, if they use their titles and styles or not). And Duke of Sussex is now Harry's name as well as his title, as he is a peer of the realm, so he still can use this as if a Mr. Watson uses Watson as his name.

Beatrice and Eugenie do NOT curtsey to Meghan when she is with or not with Harry.

Precedence is about who sits where and who enters first. Curtseying and bowing is acknowledging someone of higher rank. HRHs are all the same rank and so they do not curtsey to each other.

In 2005 The Queen changed the rules of precedence relating to royal women in women ONLY situations when in PRIVATE situations so if in a private situation Meghan and Beatrice are the only two people present Beatrice takes precedence but if Edward is also present then Meghan takes precedence because there is a man present.

Only at a totally private event i.e. one that isn't in the CC does this precedence rule apply and then only when there are no royal men present - regardless of whether the man in question is the husband of one of the women.

Beatrice and Eugenie curtsey to one person and one person only - The Queen. Meghan curtseys to one person and one person only - The Queen.

I think it is more on the lines of Charles will allow them to be both royals and earn money as keynote speakers when he is King.

I doubt it. Why would he agree to something that the queen vry clearly stood against?

Thos
It’s puzzling because if they wanted a break that would have been less controversial than this “stepping down”. I wonder what it is they may reassess after a year. Is this the normal course of action? (Not that there really is one as this is an unconventional situation in and of itself)

Having said that I can’t see them coming in a year saying with a big smile “we are back into the BRF as senior royals” all hunky dory and as if nothing happened. I think the revision is probably for other terms of the deal (although they possible aren’t closing down the option of them returning but I think it’s slim as they made a real statement with their move on this that the BRF life was almost not in accordance with their morals and intended way of life so it’s a hard one to undo). But these two are so volatile that I don’t rule it out.
I think that Charles and the queen may be believing tat the "money earning" situation wont go that well and that witihin a year, Meg and Harry MAY be willing if not eager to return. But I cant' see how they could come back as "senior royals who are working" in the old way. I think the public and others would be very uneasy about them and feel that if they walked out once, they could do something odd again and be reluctant ot have them back. Of course C's Harry's father, he loves his son and he may want and wish for him to come back.. but I think he'd be very wary about H coming back to be a working royal again. and what would he do then? Come back with or without Meg and do nothing? DO some of his own charities?
I thnk that this IS an unusual situation, which has never arisen before.. when the Duke fo Windsor left, he gave up his position as King, he left the country and he never returned.. and was not really persona grata with his family again. Harry has not completely left, and he is still on terms iwht his family, and I think that while the RF are disappointed with his behaviour they understand it to an extent and are willing to always hold out a hand ot him.

Last edited:
Nothing like this has ever happened before, so everyone's flying by the seat of their pants, for lack of a better way of doing it. I get the impression that Harry and Meghan don't really know what they want, and the fact that they ran off before agreeing terms with the Royal Family suggests that nothing's really been thought out properly. Sometimes you do get yourself worked up into a state and, when you've calmed down, you regret quitting your job, dumping your partner or anything else you may have done without thinking it through properly … and, this way, they've got the option to change their minds. I don't know if they'd be welcomed back by the public, though. It would have been more sensible to have said that they were taking time out. Maybe they've been planning it for months, but, if so, you'd think they'd have been more organised about it.

I think the 'door's being left open' option is in case the Couple divorce, and Sussex returns to the UK...
If he does, many will find it impossible to trust that his presence is permanent, so acceptance of him will be difficult, and exceedingly slow to build.
His credibility is GONE..
It is highly unlikely the Lady EVER will.. she obviously dislikes it here, and having no Family or Social circle to base a life on here, why would she try again ?

Last edited:
I think the 'door's being left open' option is in case the Couple divorce, and Sussex returns to the UK...
If he does, many will find it impossible to trust that his presence is permanent, so acceptance of him will be difficult, and exceedingly slow to build.
It is highly unlikely the Lady EVER will.. she obviously dislikes it here, and having no Family or Social circle to base a life on here, why would she try again ?

I don't think the RF want to think like that, of H's marriage breaking up within a short time.. but I fear that you might be right, that they are wondering if it will last. I think they have held the door open for the Sussexes, in hopes that maybe they may change their minds and because they DO want them back particularly Harry. He is tehir son/grandson and they love him.
But I am sure they're aware that for them to return to the job and public duties would not be accepted by the public.. (At least I don't think so). I think that IF H were to return alone, he migtht be more likely to be welcomed back as a Royal, perhaps gradually returning to work bit by bit...But I think that Meghan wont want to come back and wuodl be less acceptable if she did.

Nope, I don’t see that at all...he’s every bit as invested in the image and integrity of the monarchy as his mother is...

The door was always left open because no one wanted Harry and Meghan to leave. I’m pleasantly surprised that they will be returning more than I thought they’d be early on...I’m happy for the family.

Nobody wanted them to leave.. as they are members of the family and also they were considered important working members who had taken on commitment to a full time career as working royals. But when they DID decide to go, I think that while on a personal level the RF were saddened and still hoped for a possible change of heart, I don't think they can be very happy with being abruptly deserted as they were. THey may come back a bit but I don't think it will be that often. They have a small child and they are going to have to start building their new life and earnring a living. That's going to mean that they are busy over there and IMO wont have that much time for coming home to do charity engagements here... and I would say that some Royals may think they are so unreliable that even for them to come back for occasional visits (other than to see family) is a mistake as they just can't be relied upon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that the door is open and they can come back in a year or so. It was merely that things got so ugly that they were reacting rather than following a planned course of action. His father wasn't available to run interference and HM and all those prickly Courtiers were fully occupied trying to handle and immediate crisis and they woefully underestimated H & M situation.

I know the royal machine is essential but they are not just a firm, they are a family.

But the way the BRF UK are acting and the BRF Canada are acting it leaves too many questions. If H & M are 'gone', surely they are the last people the Queen would want at the Commonwealth Service, particularly given their previous positions.

They are still her grandson and daughter in law. Even if there is bad feeling (and I don't think there is real bad feeling as such) she's not going to publicise it. She emphasised that they were loved members of her family.. and even if she were annoyed at their decsions to leave sehs' hardly going to let the world know...

Nothing like this has ever happened before, so everyone's flying by the seat of their pants, for lack of a better way of doing it. I get the impression that Harry and Meghan don't really know what they want, and the fact that they ran off before agreeing terms with the Royal Family suggests that nothing's really been thought out properly. Sometimes you do get yourself worked up into a state and, when you've calmed down, you regret quitting your job, dumping your partner or anything else you may have done without thinking it through properly … and, this way, they've got the option to change their minds. I don't know if they'd be welcomed back by the public, though. It would have been more sensible to have said that they were taking time out. Maybe they've been planning it for months, but, if so, you'd think they'd have been more organised about it.

I think this is why there will be a year end review. I think the Queen, Charles (and William) wanted Harry and Meghan to be absolutely sure this is what they wanted, that they weren’t acting out of extreme emotional states. It appears that this is what they actually did, but in reality they’d been planning this for a long time, so appearances can be deceiving. On the other hand, they really don’t seem to have completely thought this whole thing out, maybe because they expected to be able to be half-in, half-out. That notion - that they didn’t intend to leave completely - may be an indication that this current plan can be modified. After a year, we’ll have a better idea of what H and M’s future plans might look like.

But the way the BRF UK are acting and the BRF Canada are acting it leaves too many questions. If H & M are 'gone', surely they are the last people the Queen would want at the Commonwealth Service, particularly given their previous positions.

My own view is that the reason H&M have been asked to the Commonwealth service (and some of the other planned events) is to:

> send a strong signal of family unity;
> indicating that despite recent difficulties, they are working through things; and
> at one level, it is business as usual.

I think this is why there will be a year end review. I think the Queen, Charles (and William) wanted Harry and Meghan to be absolutely sure this is what they wanted, that they weren’t acting out of extreme emotional states. It appears that this is what they actually did, but in reality they’d been planning this for a long time, so appearances can be deceiving. On the other hand, they really don’t seem to have completely thought this whole thing out, maybe because they expected to be able to be half-in, half-out. That notion - that they didn’t intend to leave completely - may be an indication that this current plan can be modified. After a year, we’ll have a better idea of what H and M’s future plans might look like.

I don't know what to make of them. One the one hand, yes they did seem to be leaving out of emtotinoal stress - they were unhappy, they couldn't cope.. but there also seems t have been planning going on for some time previously which suggests less "poor H and Meghan were so unhappy they had to go"..and more that they wanted/had planned to go for some time and that they wanted a new life, not just to get away from an unhappy situation.

The Sussexes are paying back the 2.4 mil in renovations because people were complaining about the cost...nevermind it was the lowest of all the royal renovations lately and then they will pay a running cost on top of that.

The people I was referring to aren't part of the Duchy Originals they are individuals who are non-working royals but using titles including HRH for book deals, and others who are using their connections to the royal family to sell things like milk.

Well, they are still working royals right now....so it was always known they had a couple of engagements left to do. They will be in the UK often because they have charities there they are still working with but they will also spend time outside of the UK and won't be subjecting their child/selves to the royal rota.
They are only just working royals now. THey are completing a few engagements as they were supposed to do, while transitioning towards leaving.

Good question, I know that for the very rich you can find someone to pay for you; I recall reading that this occurred with the Russian royals after the revolution. They lived off of their rich relatives or friends. Did the Duke and Duchess of Windsor do that as well? To be honest neither Meghan or Harry has anything to sell that can sustain them for more than 5years; I suspect they will pull a Fergie after awhile and start writing books and giving interviews.

THE WIndsors salted away a lot of money and personal wealth and David also cried poverty to George VI who I believe let them have some kind of allowance. Its also rumoured that they "charged" for meeting them at evetnts and parties. discreetly...whch would normally at that time have been considered very unroyal behaviour. THey fixed a deal after the War with the French Govt which allowed thm to live tax free in France.. They were comfortably off...

I don't think that the Sussexes will do that well, unless they really go all out commercial and have good financial advice. I can't imagine that Harry's mental health speeches will net him a lot of money after a year or so, the novelty will have worn off. Meghan may return to some kind of film career I suppose but again, it will seem very commericalised for a former royal...

I think that's more from a bygone age. Going right back to the French Revolution, a lot of exiled royals and aristocrats seemed to wash up in other countries and live a comfortable existence without actually having any money, and the same with the Russian Revolution and some (not all - I think the ex-King of Bulgaria got a job?) of the deposed royals after both world wars. I'm not sure it works so much today, though. Harry's supposed to have around £30 million, which most people could quite easily live on for a long time, but I can't see them settling down in a 3-bed semi in the suburbs!

THE WIndsors salted away a lot of money and personal wealth and David also cried poverty to George VI who I believe let them have some kind of allowance. Its also rumoured that they "charged" for meeting them at evetnts and parties. discreetly...whch would normally at that time have been considered very unroyal behaviour. THey fixed a deal after the War with the French Govt which allowed thm to live tax free in France.. They were comfortably off...

I don't think that the Sussexes will do that well, unless they really go all out commercial and have good financial advice. I can't imagine that Harry's mental health speeches will net him a lot of money after a year or so, the novelty will have worn off. Meghan may return to some kind of film career I suppose but again, it will seem very commericalised for a former royal...

I think that Hollywood will support them. Elton John and George Clooney will loan them houses and the designers will give them free clothes. That sort of thing.

I think that's more from a bygone age. Going right back to the French Revolution, a lot of exiled royals and aristocrats seemed to wash up in other countries and live a comfortable existence without actually having any money, and the same with the Russian Revolution and some (not all - I think the ex-King of Bulgaria got a job?) of the deposed royals after both world wars. I'm not sure it works so much today, though. Harry's supposed to have around £30 million, which most people could quite easily live on for a long time, but I can't see them settling down in a 3-bed semi in the suburbs!
I think that former royals and rich people who have fallen on hard times, still often find that "friends" wil help out..
But Harry and Meg have claimed they wanted to earn their own money, so I think they're going to have to tyr and do this for themselves or they will not look good. but if they go totally "commercrial" it will look vulgar and money greedy.. (Look at Peter Phillips)
Somehow I really don't think that either of them can earn the sort of money they presumably want.. otherwise. Harry may give speeches for a time but I thin once the novelty wears off of his being a Royal who "chucked it all up", he may not get so many invitations. Megan can do acting/voiceover appearances.. but again if she is not very good at the job, really good, she's going to look like someone trying to use her social positon to get her a job she would never get otherwise.
I think that as they DO have what most of us would consider a very nice fortune, they could settle down to a quiet life with a bit of help from Charles..and not have to chase bucks. It would look better, as if they didn't just give up tehir royal role in order to get very rich..

This thread isn’t about the Duke and Duchess of Windsor (or any other royal). Let’s stick to discussing Harry and Meghan.

Also the Duke is still President of The Commonwealth Trust , and the Duchess is it's Vice - President

We have zero idea what Harry and Meghan will do? So far almost everyone has been wrong about just about everything with the family and these two. Lol.

Yes Harry was “reported” to have given a speech mentioning mental health. JP Morgan refused to comment and a reporter learned all employee signed an NDA. So it’s just a random unverified story of what they spoke about. Just like the claim they had dinner with JLO who was actually in another city at the time.

I doubt Meghan is going back to acting. It was never her initial career goals. She said it herself. And frankly she doesn’t need to. Whatever they do I’m sure they planning out out. They networking and keeping current. They have a team and staying busy. Time will tell if it works out or not. Good luck to them.

In a year everyone will access not only how the Sussexes are doing but also the family. A lot can happen in a year.

We have zero idea what Harry and Meghan will do? So far almost everyone has been wrong about just about everything with the family and these two. Lol.

Yes Harry was “reported” to have given a speech mentioning mental health. JP Morgan refused to comment and a reporter learned all employee signed an NDA. So it’s just a random unverified story of what they spoke about. Just like the claim they had dinner with JLO who was actually in another city at the time.

I doubt Meghan is going back to acting. It was never her initial career goals. She said it herself. And frankly she doesn’t need to. Whatever they do I’m sure they planning out out. They networking and keeping current. They have a team and staying busy. Time will tell if it works out or not. Good luck to them.

In a year everyone will access not only how the Sussexes are doing but also the family. A lot can happen in a year.

I don't have a problem with them leaving. They're not prisoners. I think that the "royal" part should be taken away and if Sussex really is opposed to them being representatives then they could even take that part away - but it won't change their situation. The same people who support them will still support them - the "you go, girl!" crowd who are happy they left won't care about their titles.

But I think if they're going to leave they might as well cut all ties with the royal family.

And no I don't dislike them or wish them ill will.

I don't have a problem with them leaving. They're not prisoners. I think that the "royal" part should be taken away and if Sussex really is opposed to them being representatives then they could even take that part away - but it won't change their situation. The same people who support them will still support them - the "you go, girl!" crowd who are happy they left won't care about their titles.

But I think if they're going to leave they might as well cut all ties with the royal family.

And no I don't dislike them or wish them ill will.

No one can take "Sussex" away--except Parliament.

I agree the use of "Royal" as part of their "private life" foundation is very questionable, but they are hopefully not cutting "all ties with the royal family."

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex: Transition & Future

Good sum up. I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t really know what they want either. Their actions indicate that imo. Their ill thought out half in, half out proposal is one reason. That they’ve been clearly upset is another. Their hasty way of handling this publicly too speaks to an element of rashness.

It was obvious from the second they made the announcement/put up the website without approval that they hadn’t thought things out. I don’t think anyone thought it was really workable. Just because they had been thinking about a change for awhile doesn’t mean it was well thought out. This wasn’t. They announced with out notifying anyone- and without an agreement in place. They just said what they wanted- announced as fact.

They have clearly been upset- and upset people often don’t make good decisions. The entire way this debacle was handled speaks to that imo. It was incredibly unprofessional. And unnecessarily played out in the public arena. Nothing from what they did to how they did it speaks to people who really thought things through before acting.

Keeping the door open allows them to think things through. While this obviously was not what the family wants- thing is- this wasn’t the end result Meghan and Harry said they wanted either. No one got what they wanted. They acted like kids throwing a public tantrum and really didn’t get anything they wanted either. (I don’t count moving, which is the only thing they got exactly as they said they wanted. No one was going to force where they lived. Even then- they weren’t anticipating paying for Frogmore.)

Now whether Harry and Meghan would be willing to walk everything back- who knows. Even if they wanted to- could be a bit too embarrassing to do a full turn around.

How the public would feel is another issue too. They handled this so poorly, when if they’d exercised some patience, kept their mouth shut publicly- things might well have gone differently.

I’m glad Meghan will be back in the U.K. soon. I never thought she’d “never” return, but I did think she hadn’t loved living in the U.K. I still do think that. They’re in North America for a reason. And the way she dropped the bombshell and left looked bad optically- whatever the reason. It could be interpreted that she couldn’t get out fast enough. So, glad she’s back sooner rather than later.

I do think this mess has cost both of them some goodwill in the U.K. How much and how permanent the damage is- we’ll see.

I find it interesting that quite a bit of the media acts like this result (not working royals at all) was exactly what the Sussexes wanted. If you believe their detailed, yet vague, website, this isn’t even close to what they truly wanted. So it really benefits everyone to leave the door open. Think about what exactly you want. And what is and is not possible. And do it in a professional manner.

Beatrice and Eugenie do NOT curtsey to Meghan when she is with or not with Harry.

Precedence is about who sits where and who enters first. Curtseying and bowing is acknowledging someone of higher rank. HRHs are all the same rank and so they do not curtsey to each other.

In 2005 The Queen changed the rules of precedence relating to royal women in women ONLY situations when in PRIVATE situations so if in a private situation Meghan and Beatrice are the only two people present Beatrice takes precedence but if Edward is also present then Meghan takes precedence because there is a man present.

Only at a totally private event i.e. one that isn't in the CC does this precedence rule apply and then only when there are no royal men present - regardless of whether the man in question is the husband of one of the women.

Beatrice and Eugenie curtsey to one person and one person only - The Queen. Meghan curtseys to one person and one person only - The Queen.

New rule - no men at parties :flowers:

G

They have clearly been upset- and upset people often don’t make good decisions. The entire way this debacle was handled speaks to that imo. It was incredibly unprofessional. And unnecessarily played out in the public arena. Nothing from what they did to how they did it speaks to people who really thought things through before acting.

Keeping the door open allows them to think things through. While this obviously was not what the family wants- thing is- this wasn’t the end result Meghan and Harry said they wanted either. No one got what they wanted. They acted like kids throwing a public tantrum and really didn’t get anything they wanted either. (I don’t count moving, which is the only thing they got exactly as they said they wanted. No one was going to force where they lived. Even then- they weren’t anticipating paying for Frogmore.)

Now whether Harry and Meghan would be willing to walk everything back- who knows. Even if they wanted to- could be a bit too embarrassing to do a full turn around.

How the public would feel is another issue too. They handled this so poorly, when if they’d exercised some patience, kept their mouth shut publicly- things might well have gone differently.

I’m glad Meghan will be back in the U.K. soon. I never thought she’d “never” return, but I did think she hadn’t loved living in the U.K. I still do think that. They’re in North America for a reason. And the way she dropped the bombshell and left looked bad optically- whatever the reason. It could be interpreted that she couldn’t get out fast enough. So, glad she’s back sooner rather than later.

I do think this mess has cost both of them some goodwill in the U.K. How much and how permanent the damage is- we’ll see.

I find it interesting that quite a bit of the media acts like this result (not working royals at all) was exactly what the Sussexes wanted. If you believe their detailed, yet vague, website, this isn’t even close to what they truly wanted. So it really benefits everyone to leave the door open. Think about what exactly you want. And what is and is not possible. And do it in a professional manner.

I didn't think she would never ever set foot on UK soil again. but I dotn think she will be coming back on any kind of basis other thtan short visits for a few charity engagements or some event like a wedding. I think it would be a huge climbdown for her to admit that she had to come back..and I don't think she likes the palce enough to want to.
As for leaving the door open, Of course on a personal basis doors have been left open. Im sure they were told "we care for you and we want you to feel that you can always come home.." but still, on what basis? CAN they come back and return to royal work? I thnk that Charles may wish that they could because he is left without people to do the job, but all the same, I dont think the press or public would want them back as workers. So Charles might feel that even if he wants them back working he'll have to play it slow...

Well we will see how the public thinks of them soon enough at these public engagements. I think we are all projecting a bit on the general public to be honest. It will be interesting overall for sure.

I do agree that compromises was made and no one got exactly what they wanted -- which is what should be the case but they are working together to make it work. That is all they can ask at this point.

Make the best out of the situation.

New rule - no men at parties :flowers:

But we have seen at least some of them curtesy to Charles and Camilla ..specifically the Sussexes and Cambridges :)

LaRae

But we have seen at least some of them curtesy to Charles and Camilla ..specifically the Sussexes and Cambridges

Have we ? I've no recollection of that happening.

Have we ? I've no recollection of that happening.

Yes...it was at one of the family events, might of been one of the Cambridge kids Christenings. Also when Meghan was pregnant there is video of her doing so to Charles.

LaRae

Last edited:
No one can take "Sussex" away--except Parliament.

I agree the use of "Royal" as part of their "private life" foundation is very questionable, but they are hopefully not cutting "all ties with the royal family."

Let’s not forget that the “Royal family” is, in the end, Harry’s real family - they aren’t just “the Firm”. His intention, I’m sure, was never to cut ties with people he loves

I don't think the RF want to think like that, of H's marriage breaking up within a short time.. but I fear that you might be right, that they are wondering if it will last. I think they have held the door open for the Sussexes, in hopes that maybe they may change their minds and because they DO want them back particularly Harry. He is tehir son/grandson and they love him.
But I am sure they're aware that for them to return to the job and public duties would not be accepted by the public.. (At least I don't think so). I think that IF H were to return alone, he migtht be more likely to be welcomed back as a Royal, perhaps gradually returning to work bit by bit...But I think that Meghan wont want to come back and wuodl be less acceptable if she did.

I'm sure that personally the family really hates to consider that a divorce may be on the horizon. However, they're nothing if not pragmatic and they typically will have prepared for the possibilities, especially because we have no idea whet's really gone on behind the scenes. We don't know what kind of warning signs they may have seen that have precipitated this "leaving the door open for a year" idea. Especially when you consider that the honorary military titles are basically "on hold." Personally I suspect that it might be a combination of things...they might very well be thinking that it's likely Harry will be back within a year. They might also have done this as a sort of PR move to show that they're not cutting them out. It might be a combination of both those things and more. I tend to be one of those who don't really anticipate seeing Meghan in the UK after this transition. I'm not surprised that she has to be there for a few days during this period because it is, after all, a transitional period. Whether she shows up after that is still a giant question and I personally don't really think she will. I also tend to agree with those posters who said that her behavior in January really very much looked like a "she couldn't get out of there fast enough" run back to Canada. I really don't know what to expect with this last round of engagements. I personally think we might see them arrive without Archie and that Meghan will return to Canada immediately after her engagements are finished while Harry will return after his engagements, much the same setup as we saw in January.

Time will tell. Many claimed she wouldn't be back at all and clearly she is. The director of the National Theatre went on record saying they have projects lined up. I don't think they will be in the UK tons but I got the impression from the statements that they will be back more than people think.

As for the 12 month review. I don't think they expect their marriage to be over at all. I think they just know a lot can happen in a year and maybe unforeseen things on either side might change the situation. There is no need to do a clean cut, so they not. This gives everyone breathing room and a safety net of sorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom