The Duke and Duchess of Sussex: Transition & Future

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps this will merely be a 12 month hiatus for them.

Sounds like (other comments elsewhere) there will be a get together (review/meeting?) in a year to see how it's all going and if anything needs to be changed/addressed.

LaRae

I think it is more on the lines of Charles will allow them to be both royals and earn money as keynote speakers when he is King.

It does seem that the family is leaving the door wide open. Surprised he maintained the military role after it was reported Anne was taking it.

100% the door is being left open, accompanied by a funky door stop as well. I think we knew this to a degree and this is just confirmation but it’s good to hear. To some extent this would, if anybody listened, put paid to the “they’re being kicked out”, “they’re not wanted” etc because it’s very clear to me they are.

Last edited:
Yeah it’s clear they wanted to shut down all the chatter. Sussexes making it clear they will be in the UK plenty and the family showing everyone is working together.

Well I’m glad they will have a busy few days in early March. More might be added depending how long they are in the UK.

From their spokesperson

"The Duke’s priorities remain supporting the welfare of servicemen and women, conservation, sport for social development, HIV, and Travalyst which works to mobilize the tourism and travel industry for social good," a spokesperson said, adding: "For The Duchess, her focus remains women’s empowerment, gender equality and education."

Last edited by a moderator:
100% the door is being left open, accompanied by a funky door stop as well. I think we knew this to a degree and this is just confirmation but it’s good to hear. To some extent this would, if anybody listened, put paid to the “they’re being kicked out”, “they’re not wanted” etc because it’s very clear to me they are.

Agreed.

And I think it’s a smart decision for all involved. Being hasty (Harry and Meghan’s obviously premature announcement.) made a mess. Very good decision to leave the door open and see how things progress.

Between Harry and Meghan’s website and the words of HM, this wasn’t the desired outcome by anyone.

I think it is more on the lines of Charles will allow them to be both royals and earn money as keynote speakers when he is King.

I rather doubt that.

My guess is he and HM are in agreement about what is and is not appropriate.

Nope, I don’t see that at all...he’s every bit as invested in the image and integrity of the monarchy as his mother is...

The door was always left open because no one wanted Harry and Meghan to leave. I’m pleasantly surprised that they will be returning more than I thought they’d be early on...I’m happy for the family.

Last edited:
I'm glad the door's been left open. I think it'd be hard for them to come back and take up royal duties as if nothing's happened, but stranger things have happened. At one time we never thought Charles and Camilla would be able to marry. Never say never!

I know it’s a “damned if they do, damned if they don’t” situation but I’m a bit frustrated that they will attend the Commonwealth service. Now the focus will completely be on interactions between the family and not the meaning of the day.

It seems that you'er saying they are relying on their "millionaire supporters" to pay out for - well for what? Harry talking about his depression? Is that really going to last for very long.

Good question, I know that for the very rich you can find someone to pay for you; I recall reading that this occurred with the Russian royals after the revolution. They lived off of their rich relatives or friends. Did the Duke and Duchess of Windsor do that as well? To be honest neither Meghan or Harry has anything to sell that can sustain them for more than 5years; I suspect they will pull a Fergie after awhile and start writing books and giving interviews.

I read somewhere that Meghan was going to continue focusing on women empowerment, gender equality and education.

The first two clearly have been a focus for Meghan for quite some time but I don't recall that many education-related initiatives/activities; her involvement as patron of the Commonwealth Universities-organization is of course related to education but other than that? Who can enlighten me?

I read somewhere that Meghan was going to continue focusing on women empowerment, gender equality and education.

The first two clearly have been a focus for Meghan for quite some time but I don't recall that many education-related initiatives/activities; her involvement as patron of the Commonwealth Universities-organization is of course related to education but other than that? Who can enlighten me?

As below, that info came from a spokesperson.

I know of no education related initiatives/activities Meghan is involved in. I was actually unaware she was patron of Commonwealth organisations, has she ever done an engagement for them?

From their spokesperson

"The Duke’s priorities remain supporting the welfare of servicemen and women, conservation, sport for social development, HIV, and Travalyst which works to mobilize the tourism and travel industry for social good," a spokesperson said, adding: "For The Duchess, her focus remains women’s empowerment, gender equality and education."

Where did this info come from?

The quote from their spokesperson comes from the Telegraph. I also suspect we might hear of some private engagements as well.

As below, that info came from a spokesperson.

I know of no education related initiatives/activities Meghan is involved in. I was actually unaware she was patron of Commonwealth organisations, has she ever done an engagement for them?
It's the Association of Commonwealth Universities - one of her first patronages. Her first visit was on January 31 last year (see for example this People article) but if I'm not mistaken, she also did such a visit in South Africa (see for example this blog post).

It does seem that the family is leaving the door wide open. Surprised he maintained the military role after it was reported Anne was taking it.

I am happy that Harry is going to maintain his military associations and his role. He served two dangerous tours in Afghanistan. Unlike quite a few Royal princes on the scene in Europe, he actually earned those medals.

Last edited:
I am happy that Harry is going to maintain his military associations and his role. He served two dangers tours in Afghanistan. Unlike quite a few Royal princes on the scene in Europe, he actually earned those medals.

Just a quick note, though, that he would have always retained the campaign medals and honors that he earned with his service as well as the rank that he attained. I'm not sure which rank he was at when he left the service but he would always remain that rank no matter what. It was only ever his honorary military appointments that were in question. I think it's very interesting that he will retain those for now and that they'll be reviewed in a year. I'd be interested to hear what service members think about that since he will, effectively, just be absent for at least a year and it seems as though several members of the military felt that it was right that he should lose those honorary appointments.

A 'gift' that was a joke.... usually one doesn't have to pay for their own gift but they either feel like they have to pay for it or are being required to pay for it.

I understand that in Britain non-working royals typically pay commercial rent for their residences. In any case, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are expected to pay only a token rent and running costs after stepping back from being working royals.

There are other non-working royals who are able to use their titles and/or relations to the royals to sell their brands be it books or milk. So what's different about them and Harry/Meghan ummmm I wonder?

At least in the case of the Duchy Originals, its profits are fully donated to charity.

After a year into it all Harry & Meghan saw the light that they would always be the scapegoats for the rest of the family....when ever there is scandal brewing...They don't want that environment for their child so they decided to go in a different direction than the BRF

Well well well apparently they don't seem to be soooo disgusted by the BRF as they will resume some of their duties very soon. And oh "The couple intend to split their time between the UK and North America and the spokesperson said they would be in the UK "regularly" after stepping back from royal duties". Clearly the family is working ALL together to find a decent solution for everyone involved.

I am happy that Harry is going to maintain his military associations and his role. He served two dangers tours in Afghanistan. Unlike quite a few Royal princes on the scene in Europe, he actually earned those medals.

Me too. I hope this means he's going to continue with his work on Walking With The Wounded and similar charities, too. I was worried about what would happen with them because Harry has done so much work for military families and their adjustment to peaceful life.

I am too. He's done a brilliant job with those charities, and it wouldn't be the same if a Royal without his actual military experience took over them.

Well well well apparently they don't seem to be soooo disgusted by the BRF as they will resume some of their duties very soon. And oh "The couple intend to split their time between the UK and North America and the spokesperson said they would be in the UK "regularly" after stepping back from royal duties". Clearly the family is working ALL together to find a decent solution for everyone involved...

Agreed. Seems many have been way off base on all sides. Glad everyone working together. Looking forward to seeing their final engagements and future plans.

I understand that in Britain non-working royals typically pay commercial rent for their residences. In any case, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are expected to pay only a token rent and running costs after stepping back from being working royals.

At least in the case of the Duchy Originals, its profits are fully donated to charity.

The Sussexes are paying back the 2.4 mil in renovations because people were complaining about the cost...nevermind it was the lowest of all the royal renovations lately and then they will pay a running cost on top of that.

The people I was referring to aren't part of the Duchy Originals they are individuals who are non-working royals but using titles including HRH for book deals, and others who are using their connections to the royal family to sell things like milk.

Well well well apparently they don't seem to be soooo disgusted by the BRF as they will resume some of their duties very soon. And oh "The couple intend to split their time between the UK and North America and the spokesperson said they would be in the UK "regularly" after stepping back from royal duties". Clearly the family is working ALL together to find a decent solution for everyone involved.

Well, they are still working royals right now....so it was always known they had a couple of engagements left to do. They will be in the UK often because they have charities there they are still working with but they will also spend time outside of the UK and won't be subjecting their child/selves to the royal rota.

Agreed. Seems many have been way off base on all sides. Glad everyone working together. Looking forward to seeing their final engagements and future plans.

Yep......and I'm glad to be wrong!

So I'm confused. They get to keep the "sussex royal" name after all? Because I looked and nothing has changed on their web site.

So I'm confused. They get to keep the "sussex royal" name after all? Because I looked and nothing has changed on their web site.
It's still under discussion. But they probably won't be allowed to keep it.

Technically, nothing has changed yet-they are still “working royals” until March 31.

A few posts have been deleted. If you wish to discuss the guests at Harry and Meghan's wedding, please take it to their wedding thread. If you wish to discuss Harry’s relationship with his friends, you can do so here.

Last edited:
I am happy that Harry is going to maintain his military associations and his role. He served two dangerous tours in Afghanistan. Unlike quite a few Royal princes on the scene in Europe, he actually earned those medals.

He earned ONE of his medals - the Afghanistan service medal. The other two medals he wears are the Golden and Diamond Jubilee Medals - which he would have received simply for being the Queen's grandson.

A 'gift' that was a joke.... usually one doesn't have to pay for their own gift but they either feel like they have to pay for it or are being required to pay for it.

The Sussexes are paying back the 2.4 mil in renovations because people were complaining about the cost...nevermind it was the lowest of all the royal renovations lately and then they will pay a running cost on top of that.

I hope that the members who are experts on British royal finances will clarify, but on the basis of what I have read my understanding is that other persons in the British royal family have also paid for refurbishments for their respective residences, and I assume running costs would be paid for by the leaseholder as well.

I'm no expert but can say that Prince & Princess Michael of Kent (KP apartment), Princess Eugenie & Jack Brooksbank & Princess Beatrice all do (or have not sure about Beatrice anymore) live in official royal palaces and pay a commercial level (or certainly much higher than a peppercorn) rent. Usually the state pays for renovations that are maintaining the structure of the building - roofs etc - but interior decoration, appliances etc are for the person living there to pay for.

So if H&M pay rent on their residence it would appear to put them in line with other members of the Queen's family with HRH who don't work for the firm as such.

Perhaps this will merely be a 12 month hiatus for them.

Those were my thoughts as well. As it is worded in the text it says “they won’t carry out duties on behalf of The queen but this will be reassessed in 12 months”. They haven’t said the whole arrangement would be assessed but specifically them “representing the queen” ie being senior royals. And I do hope this doesn’t mean that Charles May allow them to be royals and earn money when king. I hope he upholds the queen’s wishes by not going against her will after her death.

It’s puzzling because if they wanted a break that would have been less controversial than this “stepping down”. I wonder what it is they may reassess after a year. Is this the normal course of action? (Not that there really is one as this is an unconventional situation in and of itself)

Having said that I can’t see them coming in a year saying with a big smile “we are back into the BRF as senior royals” all hunky dory and as if nothing happened. I think the revision is probably for other terms of the deal (although they possible aren’t closing down the option of them returning but I think it’s slim as they made a real statement with their move on this that the BRF life was almost not in accordance with their morals and intended way of life so it’s a hard one to undo). But these two are so volatile that I don’t rule it out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom