The Duke and Duchess of Sussex: Transition & Future

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything LESS 'Ambassadorial' is hard to conceive -unwilling to remain in the Country they vowed, just Months ago 'to serve'.. now off to live elsewhere [we know not where].

If their 'diplomacy' is of the standard indicated by the 'well thought out' manner of their 'bombshell' announcement, [and of their precipitate departure from the UK], it scarcely bodes well...

Why any organisation would employ so flighty a couple in an Ambassadorial role 'beats me'..

Some of the way they handled things was not well done at all. That is fair to criticize.

Many ppl do not view them as flighty because they can empathize and understand the need to remove one's self from a very negative situation.

If you had a job that you ended up being very unhappy with, things not turning out as you expected I believe you, like many folks, would find a new job.

LaRae

I disagree with much of this because obviously this is all speculation and none of us have a crystal ball, but:

1. I think they will continue to do philanthropy and will be successful even without their ties to the BRF because of their popularity. They can take away their titles, but he will still be seen as Prince Harry to many and Meghan is ambitious and intelligent.
2. They they said themselves said they are setting up a foundation and until they themselves release a statement saying otherwise then I think the networking they’re doing right now is actually necessary. It won’t be done over night and they’re still transitioning, so give it a bit of time.
3. I’m not sure what you mean by the speculation that charities will fall off as they “realize there is nothing in it for them”. Do you mean that Meghan and Harry will be unsuccessful in their charity endeavors (I disagree)? That they won’t have the popularity to sustain the charities (I disagree)? That the charities won’t raise any money (I disagree)? They have had successful projects in the past- the Invictus Games, the Grenfell cookbook, and that is a good indication for the future.

I feel that some people want them to fail (I am not saying you personally) which is a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face. If Harry and Meghan are successful with their causes, then those causes benefit which is a good thing. I personally want their foundation, in whatever form it winds up taking, to be successful because any humanitarian work that can benefit others is a positive endeavor.

The royals get publicity for charities which enables them to earn money. They don't give money. I actually do not think they will be able to sustain publicity form their charities. I think the world will move on and they will garner less and less publicity. Grendell Tower was a you try wide disaster and that book would have sold. And the Invictus games is the best thing Harry has done or is indeed likely to do. I think that post the next games that will begin to garner less publicity too.

If the are going to become a money giving foundation then that will be a voting hard work networking for them and that will take up all their time. But that too will become less profitable.

I don't see them finding success in a model like the one the royal family use. They could set up their own charities and run them. As their York cousins have done and they may find success with that. I think scale needs to be considered.

The biggest foundation outside the royals in the UK are either massivively charitable funds which sponsor this or that, Tony Blair's foundation and of course JK Rowling is the biggest private donor and runs her own foundation in Romania.

Harry and Meghan do not have these resources. So it remains how they are going to do it and given the circumstances of being effectively made redundant after looking for part time hours, I would start small. And get rid of that over the top website too.

Whose role? Do you mean Harry and Meghan? Or the working royals like the queen, Charles Camilla, etc? It is a constitutional monarchy, that is what the members of a Royal family do, in a consituttional monarchy. They don't have much power, and their role is representing their country to the world. That is exacltly what they are being asked to do.

Yes Harry/Meghan and in fact the whole BRF. I understand it's a Constitutional Monarchy and that is the majority of what they do.

The rigid expectations (as I alluded to in the other post...unnecessary for this day/age) have not worked out so well for a number of them.

Yes Harry/Meghan and in fact the whole BRF. I understand it's a Constitutional Monarchy and that is the majority of what they do.

The rigid expectations (as I alluded to in the other post...unnecessary for this day/age) have not worked out so well for a number of them.

Not Harry and Meghan any more then since they are no longer member of the working family. THey do not represent the queen or country any more.
As for the rigid expectations Im not sure what you mean. Harry and Meghan took on the job, as a married couple. When they found themselves unhappy with it... they wanted to get out. THey didn't try to give it a few years to see if thing would improve, which would have at least given Charles and the queen time to try and make a plan for what to do if they DID insist on going.

Not Harry and Meghan any more then since they are no longer member of the working family. THey do not represent the queen or country any more.
As for the rigid expectations Im not sure what you mean. Harry and Meghan took on the job, as a married couple. When they found themselves unhappy with it... they wanted to get out. THey didn't try to give it a few years to see if thing would improve, which would have at least given Charles and the queen time to try and make a plan for what to do if they DID insist on going.

My comments earlier were in reply to your post (#157) when you were talking about where would 'we' be if they all decided to leave like The Sussexes.

There is context to what I was talking about, if you go back and read what you said..then what I said.

Past that, your new comment.... I'm not sure how many years they would need to give it...it wasn't working. They (per the Queen's statement) had been talking about it with at least herself for months. I presume Charles/William knew as well.

LaRae

If you had a job that you ended up being very unhappy with, things not turning out as you expected I believe you, like many folks, would find a new job.
Not necessarily. It's also about responsibility; not everyone will run...

Being a member of the royal family comes with a lot of privileges as well as responsibility. So, if you've just committed for life (which Meghan did upon marrying) walking out only 1 1/2 years later because it is not what you expected (something that you should figure out before committing), doesn't show a lot of sense of responsibility but shows more a hedonistic worldview that life is all about me getting satisfaction (or thriving as she herself would say - which in her case clearly includes the satisfaction of 'doing good'/'being a force for change') - a very different point of view from the queen's who stresses duty - within which (probably more so as a member of the BRF than as the monarch) there is a lot of room to make a difference.

Harry was raised with a clear sense of what was expected from him - and while he clearly struggled at times, he also stressed how it brought him many opportunities. Leaving after relatively recently becoming a full-time royal, also shows that 'duty' and 'responsibility' are not as important to him either.

So, no, I don't think all would run. It depends on your values and how you see your purpose in life. It seems that currently their purpose in life is more about 'them doing good on their own terms' than about 'them contributing to the greater good as part of (their duty within) the monarchy'.

The royals get publicity for charities which enables them to earn money. They don't give money. I actually do not think they will be able to sustain publicity form their charities. I think the world will move on and they will garner less and less publicity. Grendell Tower was a you try wide disaster and that book would have sold. And the Invictus games is the best thing Harry has done or is indeed likely to do. I think that post the next games that will begin to garner less publicity too.

If the are going to become a money giving foundation then that will be a voting hard work networking for them and that will take up all their time. But that too will become less profitable.

I don't see them finding success in a model like the one the royal family use. They could set up their own charities and run them. As their York cousins have done and they may find success with that. I think scale needs to be considered.

The biggest foundation outside the royals in the UK are either massivively charitable funds which sponsor this or that, Tony Blair's foundation and of course JK Rowling is the biggest private donor and runs her own foundation in Romania.

Harry and Meghan do not have these resources. So it remains how they are going to do it and given the circumstances of being effectively made redundant after looking for part time hours, I would start small. And get rid of that over the top website too.

Success isn't just about who you are and what you do, it's about who you know. And they are already going about making connections with people and groups that will provide support, publicity, etc. for them and their foundation.

I don't necessarily agree with the way they've gone about everything, but I have no doubt they'll be successful in their future endeavors, particularly while they're together and doing it as a team. I think they have many skills and circumstances that complement each other- Harry has the name/BRF fame behind him (and even though they're no longer working members of the firm, that's going to stay forever) as well as experience with Invictus and Sentebale, and I think Meghan is extremely smart and resourceful, and now that she has the platform that she didn't have when she was simply a C-list actress, she can really put her good ideas forth and really bring about change. I like Harry but I don't think he's necessarily bright or skilled enough in those areas to do this sort of thing by himself, so with Meghan to run that side of things I think they'll be just fine. Now, if anything does happen, I think that Meghan will be perfectly fine in continuing to build a brand and foundation, but Harry would struggle on his own to continue with that work.

things not turning out as you expected I believe you, like many folks, would find a new job.

Had I married into a job, as she did.. I'd certainly have given myself longer [5+years] to settle in - barely 12 months [if one includes the Maternity leave] isn't ANY time at all [unless one is 'flighty']..

Not necessarily. It's also about responsibility; not everyone will run...

Being a member of the royal family comes with a lot of privileges as well as responsibility. So, if you've just committed for life (which Meghan did upon marrying) walking out only 1 1/2 years later because it is not what you expected (something that you should figure out before committing), doesn't show a lot of sense of responsibility but shows more a hedonistic worldview that life is all about me getting satisfaction (or thriving as she herself would say - which in her case clearly includes the satisfaction of 'doing good'/'being a force for change') - a very different point of view from the queen's who stresses duty - within which (probably more so as a member of the BRF than as the monarch) there is a lot of room to make a difference.

Harry was raised with a clear sense of what was expected from him - and while he clearly struggled at times, he also stressed how it brought him many opportunities. Leaving after relatively recently becoming a full-time royal, also shows that 'duty' and 'responsibility' are not as important to him either.

So, no, I don't think all would run. It depends on your values and how you see your purpose in life. It seems that currently their purpose in life is more about 'them doing good on their own terms' than about 'them contributing to the greater good as part of (their duty within) the monarchy'.

I don't consider it to be irresponsible to leave a job that you are miserable in and most folks don't have to contend with the immense media pressure/harassment/bullying etc. That would push things for the top for many.

Blaming this on Meghan is short sighted. Harry had talked multiple times publically about leaving. Based on the info we know, not Tabloid gossip, Harry is the driving force in this situation. It became untenable for them...he's talked about it since they left and made it very clear about his decision.

His past record shows he was very responsible and upheld duty. It's not like he left school gave it a couple years then took off. He served his country, risked his life for his country. It doesn't get any more dutiful and responsible than that.

LaRae

Last edited:
If the atmosphere around you is not ideal and actually unhealthy... you 100% should leave. No one should subject themselves to anything for the sake of appearances.

That goes for anyone.

Had I married into a job, as she did.. I'd certainly have given myself longer [5+years] to settle in - barely 12 months [if one includes the Maternity leave] isn't ANY time at all [unless one is 'flighty']..

Stop blaming it on Meghan. Look to Harry. The man said for years he thought about leaving, in more than one interview and since they left he talked about it. Yes I'm sure she had input however it's not like Harry was all unicorns and rainbows about life as a Royal then all the sudden decided to leave.

LaRae

If the atmosphere around you is not ideal and actually unhealthy... you 100% should leave. No one should subject themselves to anything for the sake of appearances.

That goes for anyone.

Lots of people have to put up with living and working situations that are very difficult..

We literally have no idea what Meghan went through behind the scenes.

...the fact is we don't know what truly went down and we might never know. But I doubt any of them were as surprised as the press likes to claim. Harry is also a grown man who had not hide his POV about his position. The idea of him walking away was there long before Meghan was in the picture. He didn't chose his life. He was forced onto him. He walked away.

Lots of people have to put up with living and working situations that are very difficult..

And that is their choice. Many people also leave those situations. I am not here to judge anyone because all situations are different. But if one can leave why shouldn't they?

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes and that means no one is allowed to leave their jobs because other ppl can't? That's silly. Sorry I did not base my decisions on whether or not to leave a job on the idea that someone else has to put up with difficult working situations.

LaRae

Yes and that means no one is allowed to leave their jobs because other ppl can't? That's silly. Sorry I did not base my decisions on whether or not to leave a job on the idea that someone else has to put up with difficult working situations.

LaRae

No, they can leave..but it means that other people will probably not feel al that sympathetic to them-.

^^^ One can think they can deal with something and realize under various circumstance that it is not right for them. Maybe she tried. Maybe something happened that completely changed everything. People go into situations all time and things happen and your tolerance level changes. For many it usually occurs when you become a parent. What you could deal with suddenly is not worth it when someone else is now in the picture.

You don't think it is mature. I find is very mature and strong to walk away from something you don't want. Seems people just really wanted her to suck it up and stay because it would had made the optics of the family better. That never works.

History proves as much.

Last edited:
No, they can leave..but it means that other people will probably not feel al that sympathetic to them-.

That's fine too...ppl shouldn't expect everyone to agree/sympathize with their decisions. Disagreeing with them is one thing...going past that and assigning motives based on tabloid articles is another.

LaRae

To those who are saying aboit them failing. I don't want that but I think they are perhaps being over reaching and seeking to replace a royal foundation, with a nonroyal one. But that do3snt change anything and they no longer have the former platform. Starting small would be perfect for them and give them the quieter life they seem seek? What about volunteering for a charity you are supporting. Giving your time in a low key way. But that doesn't seem what they want. They want the same life but they think that without the royal stamp. But that isn't the way it is. They won't escape the media and neither will they have the backing.

Trying to paint him as some sort of dull blade or stupid/dumb won't work. You don't fly helos, especially under stress of battle, without having some brains. Because he doesn't make decisions like you would or makes decisions you don't agree with doesn't mean he is not smart.

Perhaps if ppl had been allowed to live more as they wanted the RF wouldn't be facing this issue now? It's hardly some sort of real monarchy as it is. They are basically ambassadors for the country at this point.

LaRae

It’s only an issue with Harry, so I think the BRF is doing just fine...

I'd say the basic difference is that some of us see 'being a member of the royal family' not just as any other job but as a responsibility (some might even call it calling) that you were born into (Harry) or a life-time commitment you took upon you (Meghan).

the state of the firm is problematic.

Its easier to blame an institution, than an individual...[or in this case two individuals].

Last edited:
It’s only an issue with Harry, so I think the BRF is doing just fine...

It's only a known issue with them....we don't know whom else this would apply to within the family. As far as fine goes..that's the surface. We don't know anything other than what they let us see.

LaRae

It's only a known issue with them....we don't know whom else this would apply to within the family. As far as fine goes..that's the surface. We don't know anything other than what they let us see.

LaRae

You think it’s too much to assume their fine, but I think it’s too much to assume they’re not. I understand that we don’t know them, and I’m sure that their private lives are as goofy/hectic as ordinary joes are, but until I see or hear that Royals are wanting to leave the Firm, I have to assume that this isn’t an issue. It’s all I can go on.

I do think Meghan and Harry together thought they could change some things to suit themselves and the way they wanted to do things, and when told no, probably over a year ago, decided they would go ahead and figure out a way to do things their way anyway.

I'd say the basic difference is that some of us see 'being a member of the royal family' not just as any other job but as a responsibility (some might even call it calling) that you were born into (Harry) or a life-time commitment you took upon you (Meghan).

This idea of family legacy (such as it is) is hardly unknown for many families out there who run businesses. Children expected to fill the shoes of those before them. The BRF is a family business...it has a larger scale and grander history but ultimately it's a family business of sorts.

Not everyone is capable or even wants to remain part of it. Not all of them do...some start out and then decide it's not for them.

It's not a calling for all of them or Anne would of allowed her children to be titled. Edward and Sophie have decided their children won't be fulfilling the role they were born into either.

Meghan left with her husband. Again no idea why there is this desire to make her into the instigator when we clearly know Harry has contemplated leaving for years.

LaRae

You think it’s too much to assume their fine, but I think it’s too much to assume they’re not. I understand that we don’t know them, and I’m sure that their private lives are as goofy/hectic as ordinary joes are, but until I see or hear that Royals are wanting to leave the Firm, I have to assume that this isn’t an issue. It’s all I can go on.

I don't assume either. We don't know. We only know what they allow us to know.

I like the BRF generally...I simply think they must continue to change how they do things if they want to continue on successfully.

LaRae

I just don't think any of this simple black and white. There are plenty greys all around. I don't agree with how the Sussexes have handed some things but I suspect it is the same on the other side too. But now it has happened and everyone is moving forward.

Next month will be interesting when they return.

.......Next month will be interesting when they return.

Yes..I am interested to see what all they do (charities and such) while there, how long they stay ...will they stay till Beatrice's wedding or leave and come back?

There's (reportedly) some sort of event for Prince Phillip I think? Some concert around the same time as the CWS.

LaRae

I think this is very true.
I think some in the BRF have had to figure out how to carve a fulfilling career/life for themselves. They had to work at it and try different things, but they didn’t just quit after a short period of time. I don’t think it is at all easy to find personal fulfillment within restrictions.

Last edited:
I think this is very true.
I think some in the BRF have had to figure out how to carve a fulfilling career/life for themselves. They had to work at it and try different things, but they didn’t just quit after a short period of time. I don’t think it is at all easy to find personal fulfillment within restrictions.

Every life has restrictions and most people don't get that much freedom to find "personal fulfilment". Meghan IMO didn't realise what she was getting into when she married Harry. He has always been shaky, I think about Royal life...and while I don't know, I wonder if he DID make things clear to her what the UK was like, what the press was like and what royal life was like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom