The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #221  
Old 02-16-2020, 07:50 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 830
I don't think all of this will be the end of the monarchy. William or Charles quitting would but not the second in line to the throne.
__________________

  #222  
Old 02-16-2020, 07:56 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,191
The second in line to the throne right now is William. Charles is the heir apparent and George is third in line. I get your meaning though. The monarchy has gone through many upheavals before this and will endure as long as the people deem it relevant. Throughout the history of the UK, there have been goings and comings and changes in the royal family and the way they do things or don't do them.

This is what makes British royal watching so interesting for me. Harry and Meghan remain members of the British Royal Family and in that respect, it fits right into my royal watching interest.
__________________

__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #223  
Old 02-17-2020, 07:19 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 830
I think unless they are desperate for money they would have done better to lie low for a few months. If they don't do anything to report on then the media has no choice but to move on to the next topic.
  #224  
Old 02-17-2020, 09:12 AM
Lilyflo's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,204
So the UK press has definitely played a part in adding to H&M's stress & desire to take more control of their lives but we know it's not just that. There's also the restrictions of life as a working royal that Harry might be able to cope with as he's used to it but would probably feel frustrating to an independent, successful woman in her 30s, used to planning, organising & directing her own agenda.
  #225  
Old 02-17-2020, 09:44 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,128
I think that’s a much more valid point than all the moaning about the media. Chelsy Davy and Cressida Bonas have both pretty much said that they ended their relationships with Prince Harry because they felt unable to cope with the demands of royal life, not because things weren’t working out on a personal level. Even going back nearly 100 years, the then Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, who as an earl’s daughter in the 1920s wouldn’t have been doing any work other than charity work anyway, had reservations about marrying into the Royal Family for those reasons. Sophie carried on with her job after her marriage, but that didn’t work out. I don’t know what the answer is … but it’s definitely something that needs addressing, because it’s going to make it difficult for the next generation of senior royals to find partners, when the time comes.
  #226  
Old 02-17-2020, 09:51 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
So the UK press has definitely played a part in adding to H&M's stress & desire to take more control of their lives but we know it's not just that. There's also the restrictions of life as a working royal that Harry might be able to cope with as he's used to it but would probably feel frustrating to an independent, successful woman in her 30s, used to planning, organising & directing her own agenda.
Everyone in the public eye has wrong things printed about them... or gets negative press. And all members of the working BRF have restrictions on their lives that are hard to put up with, but they put up with them because they are committed to the job and they know that they are offset by a lot of wealth and privilege that other people don't have. I thought that Meghan might find it hard to adjust to having her life organised and having certain resrtrictiions on what she could do.. but if she wanted to marry H and be a working royal that was something she had to accept and put up with. and I assumed that she realised this and was willing to accept the varius limitiations, not that she would taek it on for a year and then leave it
  #227  
Old 02-17-2020, 10:07 AM
Lilyflo's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
And all members of the working BRF have restrictions on their lives that are hard to put up with, but they put up with them because they are committed to the job and they know that they are offset by a lot of wealth and privilege that other people don't have. I thought that Meghan might find it hard to adjust to having her life organised and having certain resrtrictiions on what she could do.. but if she wanted to marry H and be a working royal that was something she had to accept and put up with. and I assumed that she realised this and was willing to accept the varius limitiations, not that she would taek it on for a year and then leave it
Yes they do all put up with restrictions but they have to and as you say, it's offset by immense privilege. I don't think anyone can know in advance what this would feel like but it is part of the role that you have to accept and work through. If the restrictions are the main reason for them quitting then IMO they haven't given it long enough. Or maybe they realised that no matter how long they gave it, they would never be able to control their own agenda for achieving their philanthropic goals.
  #228  
Old 02-17-2020, 10:22 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
Yes they do but not at the scale & frequency experienced by H&M. It has been relentless bullying & I don't know how anyone could cope with such a toxic deluge. I know I couldn't & we also know that this kind bullying has caused mental health problems for people.

Yes they do all put up with restrictions but they have to and as you say, it's offset by immense privilege. I don't think anyone can know in advance what this would feel like but it is part of the role that you have to accept and work through. If the restrictions are the main reason for them quitting then IMO they haven't given it long enough. Or maybe they realised that no matter how long they gave it, they would never be able to control their own agenda for achieving their philanthropic goals.
well no, of course they wouldnt be able to control their own agenda. They were working as Royals, not independent philanthropists, and Harry at least must have known what the restrictions were. I feel that Meghan does seem to have come into the RF and Britain without any clear idea what it was like.. and I wonder if Harry really laid it out for her.
  #229  
Old 02-17-2020, 11:42 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington DC, United States
Posts: 489
Harry and Meghan were NOT stripped of their HRH titles nor did they relinquish them. They just are not using them. There is a difference. Why is the media saying differently?

Unless I am missing something?
  #230  
Old 02-17-2020, 11:53 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
Harry and Meghan were NOT stripped of their HRH titles nor did they relinquish them. They just are not using them. There is a difference. Why is the media saying differently?

Unless I am missing something?
Its just the simplest way of putting it. They have been debarred by the queen from using the HRH in their business life.. so it isn't really a voluntary relinquishment on their part. I don't suppose they want to be seen as HRH the Duke and Duchess in Canada, as it appears that titles are not liked there... so in effect they're not likely to be using them, except if they come back to the UK.
  #231  
Old 02-17-2020, 01:46 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,245
Never liked H much but I feel that since he married Meghan, he has changed.. to the point where he seems to have nothing in common with the guy he used to be.. or at least seemed to be. I don't know whether she has encouraged him to get into this rather flashy yoga doing and latest health kick following, sort of life... and that if she were to drop it all herself, he would drop it...
I wasn't all that fond of younger Harry but I liked him better than the present incarnation.
  #232  
Old 02-17-2020, 04:01 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,128
Maybe it was all too much, too quickly. Meghan gave up her job, moved to another country, moved in with her boyfriend, had a very public falling out with her dad, got married, became part of the most famous family in the world, moved house, had a baby, all within the space of ... what, 18 months? That's an awful lot for anyone to cope with. And now moved to another new country, to start another new life. With hindsight, maybe they'd have done better to lie low for a while after they got married ... but hindsight is a wonderful thing, and it's easy for someone else to say.
  #233  
Old 02-17-2020, 04:42 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: N/A, United States
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
Maybe it was all too much, too quickly. Meghan gave up her job, moved to another country, moved in with her boyfriend, had a very public falling out with her dad, got married, became part of the most famous family in the world, moved house, had a baby, all within the space of ... what, 18 months? That's an awful lot for anyone to cope with. And now moved to another new country, to start another new life. With hindsight, maybe they'd have done better to lie low for a while after they got married ... but hindsight is a wonderful thing, and it's easy for someone else to say.
The thing is that Meghan didn't seem to have a problem with the work part of being a royal...she seemed to thrive on it already having 3 solo projects and 3 successful tours in that 18 months. It was the outside forces...that made the couple want to make changes.

As for people worrying about Harry moving to a new country...he is an adult not a fragile little kid anymore. He has friends around the world as Meghan so they still have support systems...heck even the Vancouver community is protective of them. Besides, it wasn't like he saw his family very often, considering he had to make appointments to see his grandmother/father.
  #234  
Old 02-17-2020, 04:48 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 727
... when you have to make an appointment to see your grandmother ....
  #235  
Old 02-17-2020, 04:55 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Herefordshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,397
Quote:
when you have to make an appointment to see your grandmother ....
That's not so very unusual..I have to make an appointment to see my Parents - they're BUSY people, and their Social life is busier than mine !
  #236  
Old 02-17-2020, 05:15 PM
Lilyflo's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijiro View Post
... when you have to make an appointment to see your grandmother ....
... because visiting without an appointment means finding her not at home or entertaining guests or in a meeting or presenting a medal...
  #237  
Old 02-17-2020, 05:40 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijiro View Post
... when you have to make an appointment to see your grandmother ....
We all do that with everyone we don't live with. We just don't call it appointments.
  #238  
Old 02-17-2020, 05:55 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Never liked H much but I feel that since he married Meghan, he has changed.. to the point where he seems to have nothing in common with the guy he used to be.. or at least seemed to be. I don't know whether she has encouraged him to get into this rather flashy yoga doing and latest health kick following, sort of life... and that if she were to drop it all herself, he would drop it...
I wasn't all that fond of younger Harry but I liked him better than the present incarnation.
It says something that Harry has dropped so many of his friends........
  #239  
Old 02-17-2020, 05:56 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
It says something that Harry has dropped so many of his friends........
has he dropped his friends?
  #240  
Old 02-17-2020, 06:03 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 6,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
has he dropped his friends?
I don’t know if he dropped his friends, but most of them live in the UK. Since Harry is now living mostly in Canada, I think it is safe to say that at least he distanced himself from his friends and doesn’t see them quite as often.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transition into Royal Life Princess Pris Royal Life and Lifestyle 9 12-04-2019 04:25 AM
Duke and Duchess of Sussex: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities soapstar The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family 456 09-03-2019 10:44 AM




Popular Tags
#royalrelatives #royalgenes american anastasia 2020 baby names biography bridal gown britain britannia british royal family buckingham palace canada china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing cpr dna duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex earl of snowdon edward vii elizabeth ii emperor family life fantasy movie fashion and style george vi hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume hochberg hypothetical monarchs interesting introduction jewellery jewelry king willem-alexander list of rulers mary: crown princess of denmark mountbatten names nepal nepalese royal family plantinum jubilee pless prince charles of luxembourg prince harry princess ariane princess chulabhorn princess dita princess eugenie princess laurentien princess of orange queen louise resusci anne royal balls royal court royal events royal family royal jewels royal spouse royalty royalty of taiwan royal wedding russian court dress spain stuart thailand thai royal family united states united states of america wales wedding gown


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:04 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×