The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw on the news that the palace consulted Generals and Commanders of the regiments can they advised against it. I will try to find the link- it had to do with the army and the Marines been unsure of his loyalty to the Crown and patriotism to his country. They noted that people they spoke to would refuse to toast to his health in the regiment.

In most European monarchies, the Church (Protestant or Catholic depending on the country), the nobility and the Armed Forces have always been the three main pillars of support to the Crown. I am not surprised at all by the backlash against Harry in the Services.

The alarm bells rang for me as well, when she said she didn't know a thing about Harry, I am not sure if she said she had never heard of him, so would need to listen to that bit again. I cannot believe she knew nothing about him before meeting him.
I'm pretty sure there was a post on Tig or on her Instagram about Catherine and her wedding with William. It would be weird if she didn't know anything about Harry. Not to mention members of BRF are popular worldwide, especially Harry and William.

Also, here are the quotes from their engagement interview:
And it’s so interesting because we talk about it and now and even then, I, you know, because I’m from the States, you don’t grow up with the same understanding of the royal family and so while I now understand very clearly, there’s a global interest there. I didn’t know much about him, (...)
I think for both of us though, it was, it was really refreshing because given that I didn’t know a lot about him. Everything that I’ve learned about him, I learned through him. As opposed to having grown up around different news stories, or tabloids, or whatever else. Anything I learned about him and his family was what he would share with me. And, vice versa. So for both of us, it was just a really authentic and organic way to get to know each other.

Last edited:
It would have been nice had they voluntarily given up the Sussex Royal brand instead of having it taken from them. I’m surprised the Queen hasn’t acted in this already...

How sad...the last time Harry saw his pa and brother was likely at the summit; who knows how long it will be before they see each other again?

Hey everyone,

I haven't been on here in a very long while, however, with the recent events I thought I'd see what everyone's saying.

Regarding the above statement, interestingly enough, I did read somewhere (I can't recall where right now though), that after the summit, Princes William and Harry both recognized that if they didn't resolve their issues now, they may never have the opportunity to do so. As such, it was reported (by some) that privately and away from the public eye, they decided to make an extra effort at reconciliation before Harry left for Canada. In addition it is also claimed that both Meghan and Kate are supportive of their reconciliation efforts, and are making an effort to reconcile themselves.

I don't know how true it is, however, if true, it gives hope for them and for the future, although I think it may still be early days yet, as, whilst they may be trying to reconcile, all these changes that are still being worked out, may still potentially throw a wrench in things.

Whilst I do agree that Harry should have tried to spend some time with his Grandparents privately before he left (given their age, etc.), it's always possible that he did try, but, was rejected. I remember on the day of the summit there were reports that Prince Phillip left the compound / Palace long before Harry was due to arrive, and he wasn't seen to have returned in time to see him (although it is possible he did return using a different entrance, and therefore may have seen Harry then).

In addition, I think there's still a chance that Harry may be able to reconcile with and / or see his father and grandparents relatively soon because they've said that it becomes effective in Spring 2020, which, could mean that until then, Harry (and possibly Meghan), could have to return to the UK to undertake other engagements, so the potential is there for him to try to visit them then (if they are available).

Hi Kat..

I’m very happy that the brothers recognized the need to at least start the reconciliation process before Harry left because the kind of deep wounds couldn’t be repaired over the phone. I guess with Charles, if the reports are accurate, it’s more along the lines that they disagree about many things (which I assume it means that Harry hasn’t been happy about certain decisions his father has made, backing the Queen). This kind of thing can be hashed out on the phone or by Skype, etc.. - though I wish they’d had a chance to do so personally, to say goodbye.

Like you said, Harry will be returning for several engagements before Spring, so surely that will give him time to reconnect to his family

The Berkshire to Buckingham blog post is excellent. That's why a lot of people lack sympathy for Harry at the moment. I'm sure that living in a goldfish bowl and having your every move all over the press is very difficult, but doing a 9 to 5 job and worrying about how you're going to pay your bills isn't a barrel of laughs either. I'm sure we'd all love to spend our time working with causes that matter to us and never getting a word of criticism, but the world isn't like that. Even the days of well-to-do women spending their time doing Good Works are over. And, yes, people like the Obamas get to spend their time doing philanthropic work, but they have worked extremely hard to get where they are in life.

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out. I just hope it *doesn't* overshadow what the Royals are doing, especially with Charles, Camilla, William and Kate all attending Holocaust Remembrance Day events on Monday.

This make me think that truly no one sat Meghan down and explained to her exactly how the Monarchy works. It should have been made clear to her, by Harry, what could and could not be done. Then again, he (or someone else) may have told her and she just really did not believe it until she started to live it. I found a transcript of their engagement interview and there is very telling statement in it below:

Interviewer: But do you have that sense of responsibility Prince Harry, for what you thought you were asking Meghan to do?
Prince Harry: Of course. That sense of responsibility was was essentially from day one or maybe a couple of months in, when I sort of realized actually, this is you know, I feel I know that I'm in love with this girl. And I hope that she is in love with me. We still have to sit down and I still, you know, I still have to have some pretty frank conversations with her to say you know what you're letting yourself in for it is it is it's a big it's a big deal and it's you know it's not it's not it's not easy for anybody. But I know that at the end of the day, she chooses me and I choose her. And therefore you know whatever whatever we have to tackle together or individually, will always be us together as a team. So I think, I think she's capable.

I bolded a statement in Prince Harry's response to the Interviewer saying they still needed to have some pretty frank conversations to let her know what she was getting herself into . I am wondering if they ever had them.

the "Royal Highnesses" will be noted with a little smile too. ;)
Yea, except Harry was talking about having those conversations with her when they were early on in their dating timeline, not agree their engagement.
Harry so many things, imo, but he would never have proposed to her without having those conversations.

I think it’s time for people to realize that Meghan has a massive ego and listens to no one but herself or only those who tell her what she wants to hear.
I think it is way past due for people to stop blaming Harry for his grown ass wife lack of ability and desire to take the time to learn her new job.

Same interview, Harry (or Meghan) mentioned how when he proposed she didn’t even give him the basic curtsy to finish his proposal and answered yes immediately. Less than a month later they announced the engagement. Mind you, given the steps she took before he proposal (closing the rig, the VF interview, the fact that guy apparently was moved to the U.K. and have lived there for several weeks before the announcement- per Meghan own words) I do think it was something they already spoke about, but nothing was finalized- I do now wonder if moving to the U.K. on a temp basis was the original goal but with the proposal a decision was made not to wait? (Which is stupid)

I’m sorry, but even my friend 16 year old daughter (and my friend herself who is over 40 and had her youngest- youngest out of two!- at 42!) says she would have said yes but insisted to take a year to first live in the same city and just dating normally allowing her to adjust and try it out before announcing an engagement.
A 16 year old girl, and while I adore her!! she’s not the sharpest pencil.. if she can figure this out.. I 100% expect a worldly 36 year old to as well- unless she has another agenda.

[...]

She's also going to find that a hard line to walk if she keeps trying to make "royal style" visits to charities around Canada. She's now at a dog shelter - how is she going to argue that on one hand she wants the attention but only when she wants it?

They would probably do better to lie low for awhile. I'm not sure I would have picked Canada or the US for that matter - how is that more private than the UK? Everyone blames Meghan but Harry has been saying he wants to give up his titles and run away for years now. Only he wanted to go somewhere private - preferably a country in Africa. When Angelina Jolie gave birth for the first time she chose Namibia and the government went out of their way to try to give her privacy. I don't see that happening in Canada or the US.

Anyway I don't hate the pair I just think they made a real mess of this. Instead of asking Hollywood celebrities and her pals how to handle this they should have asked the royals.

[...]

Last edited by a moderator:
Please note that a number of posts discussing issues concerning announcements/events of various members of the Royal Family taking place on the same day have been removed. The issue has already been briefly discussed elsewhere.

Yea, except Harry was talking about having those conversations with her when they were early on in their dating timeline, not agree their engagement.
Harry so many things, imo, but he would never have proposed to her without having those conversations.

I think it’s time for people to realize that Meghan has a massive ego and listens to no one but herself or only those who tell her what she wants to hear.
I think it is way past due for people to stop blaming Harry for his grown ass wife lack of ability and desire to take the time to learn her new job.

Same interview, Harry (or Meghan) mentioned how when he proposed she didn’t even give him the basic curtsy to finish his proposal and answered yes immediately. Less than a month later they announced the engagement. Mind you, given the steps she took before he proposal (closing the rig, the VF interview, the fact that guy apparently was moved to the U.K. and have lived there for several weeks before the announcement- per Meghan own words) I do think it was something they already spoke about, but nothing was finalized- I do now wonder if moving to the U.K. on a temp basis was the original goal but with the proposal a decision was made not to wait? (Which is stupid)

I’m sorry, but even my friend 16 year old daughter (and my friend herself who is over 40 and had her youngest- youngest out of two!- at 42!) says she would have said yes but insisted to take a year to first live in the same city and just dating normally allowing her to adjust and try it out before announcing an engagement.
A 16 year old girl, and while I adore her!! she’s not the sharpest pencil.. if she can figure this out.. I 100% expect a worldly 36 year old to as well- unless she has another agenda.

You know what they say, you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink. I DO refuse to believe that Harry didn’t have a sit down with Meghan and explain exactly what she was going to face. I would have also spoke to Charles and Camilla about media pressures, if Meghan was particularly worried about that. Who knows? Meghan seems to like to do things her way, which is at odds with the BRF way. She cuts people out of her life if she doesn’t want to hear what they have to say (though that seems to be Harry’s way also)....

As to living in the UK prior to marriage, while on the surface it makes sense, she wouldn’t be living like a normal person post-marriage, so I’m not sure it would have helped her. She might be confusing not liking the UK with not liking living as a Royal.

I hope she doesn’t try and pass down her dislike of the UK to Archie - that IS half of his heritage

The Berkshire to Buckingham blog post is excellent. That's why a lot of people lack sympathy for Harry at the moment. I'm sure that living in a goldfish bowl and having your every move all over the press is very difficult, but doing a 9 to 5 job and worrying about how you're going to pay your bills isn't a barrel of laughs either. I'm sure we'd all love to spend our time working with causes that matter to us and never getting a word of criticism, but the world isn't like that. Even the days of well-to-do women spending their time doing Good Works are over. And, yes, people like the Obamas get to spend their time doing philanthropic work, but they have worked extremely hard to get where they are in life.

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out. I just hope it *doesn't* overshadow what the Royals are doing, especially with Charles, Camilla, William and Kate all attending Holocaust Remembrance Day events on Monday.

This is absolutely one of my favorite blogs and even IG pages. Definitely one to follow. As for Monday, well, it's a very important day in the calendar of events for working members of the BRF. :whistling:

Well the story that's been going around since she got married - and not just from Piers Morgan but from other British celebrities as well - is that she decided she wanted to marry a well-connected Brit and live in the UK. She just lucked out and caught Harry. Now I can see thinking that you love a place and want to live there and you think the person you want to marry should come from there - but she knew nothing of the UK. She should have moved there, gotten acting jobs and seen what she thought first. I would have told Harry I wanted to wait at least a year and see what I thought of the UK. His other girlfriend moved there, went to Uni and hated it.

If they're asking Hollywood celebrities how to avoid publicity and protect privacy, they're probably getting the same advice from each celebrity. It's well known that celebrities control their privacy in specific ways, it's not rocket science.

Step 1 is of course to lay low and do not go out into spaces that are public (because no one is protected in North America from photos taken while in public, although in California one cannot take pictures of children for publication - which means no selling of said pictures, can still take them).

Step 2 is to find lots of places to go/shop where people get used to the celebrity and do not snap pictures or call other people to come and gawk. Long walks on the beach. No design elements in clothing that attract attention. No makeup. Hair covered. Etc. Do not go out with your body guards and smile into cameras.

Of course, gated lanes, properties and communities are quite helpful. But the mere presence of a celeb means that locals do keep a look-out (especially if there is only one celeb nearby).

I'm pretty sure there was a post on Tig or on her Instagram about Catherine and her wedding with William. It would be weird if she didn't know anything about Harry. Not to mention members of BRF are popular worldwide, especially Harry and William.

Also, here are the quotes from their engagement interview:

As your quotes show, she never said she didn't know anything about him.

She said she didn't know a lot which is not that weird. Most people in the US including most celebs or public figures do not pay a lot of attention to the royals beyond knowing some of the basics maybe. She may have watched the wedding, like millions did, doesn't mean she knew a lot about the best man beyond the base line knowledge most have about him.

Step 1 is of course to lay low and do not go out into spaces that are public (because no one is protected in North America from photos taken while in public, although in California one cannot take pictures of children for publication - which means no selling of said pictures, can still take them).

Actually that one varies. It was being discussed a while back under an article about Angelina Jolie. Her kids get papped all the time and no one blurs their faces. Apple Paltrow on the other hand had her face blurred for years - it's only recently that you can see her unblurred.

I was told it depended on what the parents did. If you never let anyone take your child's photo willingly you could go to court and insist the pictures be blurred. That's what Gweneth Paltrow did for years. Then she started using Apple's picture on her goop website and all bets were off.

Angelina on the other hand sold her children's pictures at birth. Even though she gave the money to charity she couldn't demand they blur the pictures since she'd put them out there.

I'm not sure where Archie would fall in this. They have put his picture out there but not for commercial gain.

Well the story that's been going around since she got married - and not just from Piers Morgan but from other British celebrities as well - is that she decided she wanted to marry a well-connected Brit and live in the UK. She just lucked out and caught Harry. Now I can see thinking that you love a place and want to live there and you think the person you want to marry should come from there - but she knew nothing of the UK. She should have moved there, gotten acting jobs and seen what she thought first. I would have told Harry I wanted to wait at least a year and see what I thought of the UK. His other girlfriend moved there, went to Uni and hated it.

Meghan was contracted to work on Suits in Canada until mid 2017, so she could hardly swan off and take other acting jobs in Britain. As soon as filming of Suits ended and was wrapped up she went to live at KP with Harry.

If she had taken a year to see if she liked Britain and then got engaged (and all Royal engagements are at least six months in duration), Meghan could well have been pushing forty before she walked down the aisle. She and Harry (Harry especially) wanted a family, and fertility takes a sharp dip in the late thirties.

As for the other girlfriend who supposedly came to Britain for Uni and hated it, Chelsy Davy was from Zimbabwe but had spent most of her schooling in Britain (she went to Stowe) so she knew Britain very well, and in fact still spends part of the year in London. It wasn't Britain that she hated, but being pursued by paps and reporters, while Meghan has been subjected to negative and nasty tabloid press since 2016.

In fact it was negative articles three times a day from online tabloids between Oct 2018 and October 2019 after which the statement about suing the Sunday Mail was made. Both women went through hell from the Press through dating Harry and I am not at all surprised that at the end Meghan had had enough.

A very thoughtful assessment.

I am interested to see how Harry is going to "flourish" now that he has severed so many ties to The Crown. In practical terms, is he going to rent office space in the closest metropolitan area and head there a few days a week and sit at a desk to weigh showbiz offers? A "Miss Baxter, hold my calls." type of situation?

I suppose his biggest worry is money and will be for the rest of his life, just like King Edward VIII.
I think another big worry will be about structure of every day life and do something meaningful in the long run. I am not talking about the next months but years. Harry doesnt know anything but the structure he grew up in, people organizing everything for him, either events for the crown or the military with its own structure, everything for a meaningful purpose. All those traditions along the way are gone. He might find people again who organize everything for him again but he has to define what is meaningful and will make money at the same time. He will learn that he might have to make a fool of himself in order to make money and I bet there will be many, many moments when he misses the royal stability or corset he just gave up.

, And, yes, people like the Obamas get to spend their time doing philanthropic work, but they have worked extremely hard to get where they are in life.

Even the Obamas get criticized and quite a bit. I don't know who this fantasy person is who just does good work and no one in the media criticizes them. Lately I've been reading articles criticizing Mother Theresa and Gandhi.

Meghan may be able to sue every media publication who says something negative about her but she is going to spend her whole life in court while her own family members testify against her.

And that's just the media - I've seen all sorts of nasty sites on sites like Twitter where they're set up to insult her. She can't sue all the private people as well.

If she wants to improve her reputation this is not the way to do it.

I think another big worry will be about structure of every day life and do something meaningful in the long run. I am not talking about the next months but years. Harry doesnt know anything but the structure he grew up in, people organizing everything for him, either events for the crown or the military with its own structure, everything for a meaningful purpose. All those traditions along the way are gone. He might find people again who organize everything for him again but he has to define what is meaningful and will make money at the same time. He will learn that he might have to make a fool of himself in order to make money and I bet there will be many, many moments when he misses the royal stability or corset he just gave up.
Agreed with you! and honestly that video circulating on the Disney premier asking for his wife doing a voice over it is embarrassing a prince asking a job for his wife in front of Beyoncé, her face it is priceless!:whistling: I will be too! :ohmy:I though it was so low class! Have your PR , secretary who ever go and ask for a job for your wife! Time will tell...….But if he thinks his life will be easier I don't think so!

[...] If Meghan was attempting to overshadow or compete with Kate, then she failed miserably. Most media are reporting on Duchess of Cambridge initiative and visits. I only saw one article about Meghan's pic/ event from entertainment tonight. Although, there are stories about her dad saying something - i don't really pay attention to that.

I don't know what she can do going forward to improve the media coverage on her. And there is going to be lots of it - this idea that quitting the royal family means the media goes away doesn't work. Ask any celebrity who gets bashed by them.

In the end she's going to have to chose the life of a celebrity complete with media coverage or the life of a private citizen where she shuns the spotlight.

I don't see any way for there to be both no matter what she does.

As I said before they can't sue everyone. I was reading nasty, negative articles about Bill Gates and he's supposed to be the king of philanthropy.

Its really so sad to think that just 18 months ago Megan and Harry s wedding was such a huge brilliant event .... the weather was perfect.... the wedding was televised all around the world .

There was such a feel good factor towards Megan and Harry ..... and then May 2019 ... the birth of Archie....
It was all set fair ... they were the new Charles and Di ready to tour the world as ambassadors.... the new glamorous Royals...

How did it all go so wrong ?
I remember that in June 2019 the weather was grim in the UK .... the wettest June on record..... Maybe Megan took a look around and thought of the warmth and blue skies of California and thought.... Im outa here....

She is obviously too independent and self willed to conform to life in the Royal Family .....
its just not her scene....

Last edited:
With that door having been left open for H&M, does anyone really think they could come back in a year or so say saying "hi we are back, sorry for all the trouble" and the world would welcome them with a Mexican wave?

Its really so sad to think that just 18 months ago Megan and Harry s wedding was such a huge brilliant event .... the weather was perfect.... the wedding was televised all around the world .
There was such a feel good factor towards Megan and Harry ..... and then May 2019 ... the birth of Archie....
It was all set fair ... they were the new Charles and Di ready to tour the world as ambassadors.... the new glamorous Royals...

How did it all go so wrong ?
I do remember that June 2019 the weather was grim in the UK .... the wettest June on record..... Maybe Megan took a look around and thought of the warmth and blue skies of California and thougt.... Im outa here....
She is obviously too independent and self willed to conform to life in the Royal Family ..... its just not her scene....

Well I can see why they didn't - but from a media standpoint I think it would have been better if they'd stuck it out. The media can make more of the fact that they quit than they could of them going about their business in the UK.

Now the best I could recommend to them is decent PR people. And not Hollywood PR people - their mantra is "no publicity is bad publicity". They need to hire a PR person who has worked with royal families. I'd pick one who has worked with European royal families - maybe the royal family of Sweden. They manage to get good PR despite lots of things that would be scandals in England.

Do you think they would ever be able to return to England? Or would people hate them and hound them for quitting? I haven't seen any positive press on them there and the polls look bad.

I don't know what she can do going forward to improve the media coverage on her. And there is going to be lots of it - this idea that quitting the royal family means the media goes away doesn't work. Ask any celebrity who gets bashed by them.

In the end she's going to have to chose the life of a celebrity complete with media coverage or the life of a private citizen where she shuns the spotlight.

I don't see any way for there to be both no matter what she does.

As I said before they can't sue everyone. I was reading nasty, negative articles about Bill Gates and he's supposed to be the king of philanthropy.[/QUOTE]

You make great points. The key to relationship with media is diplomacy. I think Prince William has come to understand this.

H&M are trying to control the media and everyone around them. Something that is not possible.

At this point, their temperament is media's blessing. They are doing everything based on emotions, which is not very smart.

You make great points. The key to relationship with media is diplomacy. I think Prince William has come to understand this

At this point, their temperament is a media's blessing. They are doing everything based on emotions, which is not very smart.

Diana and Fergie "quit" the royal family and the media attention got worse not better. The week before Diana died she was on the cover of six magazines when I was in the checkout lane including People and National Enquirer. All of them had negative headlines. The headlines didn't turn positive until the week after she died.

I think they should lie low for about six months. Get their bearings. She should stop with the charity visits which are being criticized anyway as competing with the royals. If she wants to do that she needs to coordinate with them.

They have until spring so it's no hurry.

With that door having been left open for H&M, does anyone really think they could come back in a year or so say saying "hi we are back, sorry for all the trouble" and the world would welcome them with a Mexican wave?

I'm at the point where nothing would surprise me. I do think it's fairly unlikely, though, since I think this is a case where such a significant amount of public goodwill and tolerance has been lost that getting that back is likely to be an uphill slog. It might depend a lot on how the Sussexes comport themselves going forward, and where they choose to put their energies. They have a lot of charisma, so theoretically, anything is possible, but the way they handled their exit did a lot to tarnish that.

If Harry and or Meghan don't come back before the death of either Philip or the Queen I'd say the odds go way down. Either way, I am not holding my breath.

Do you think they would ever be able to return to England? Or would people hate them and hound them for quitting? I haven't seen any positive press on them there and the polls look bad.
To be honest: No. At least not Meghan.

I'm at the point where nothing would surprise me. I do think it's fairly unlikely, though, since I think this is a case where such a significant amount of public goodwill and tolerance has been lost that getting that back is likely to be an uphill slog. It might depend a lot on how the Sussexes comport themselves going forward, and where they choose to put their energies. They have a lot of charisma, so theoretically, anything is possible, but the way they handled their exit did a lot to tarnish that.

If Harry and or Meghan don't come back before the death of either Philip or the Queen I'd say the odds go way down. Either way, I am not holding my breath.
Yes, they broke so much china (is this also an english saying?) in such a short time.

Yes, they broke so much china (is this also an english saying?) in such a short time.

I think the Queen left the door open for Harry not Heghan. With the exception of Edward all her children got divorced. She may think Harry will do the same and want to return. If he does he can and if she's really angry with Meghan she can strip her of all her titles and sue her if she tries to profit off of them. As lawyers go the Queen's pockets are deeper than Meghan's.

Last edited:
Well I can see why they didn't - but from a media standpoint I think it would have been better if they'd stuck it out. The media can make more of the fact that they quit than they could of them going about their business in the UK.

Now the best I could recommend to them is decent PR people. And not Hollywood PR people - their mantra is "no publicity is bad publicity". They need to hire a PR person who has worked with royal families. I'd pick one who has worked with European royal families - maybe the royal family of Sweden. They manage to get good PR despite lots of things that would be scandals in England.

I think they’ll be able to return to England for private functions, but certainly not for going back as working members of the royal family. Nor do I think they would want to- they would basically be running back with their tails between their legs, and neither Harry nor Meghan strike me as the type who would admit to being wrong or having made a mistake of that magnitude.

I think Meghan is done with the UK- done with living there, done with working there, and I think she’s done with the royal family, too. I think we’ll only see her in a very limited capacity at family events. I suspect she’ll only come for the big ones- Prince Philip’s and the Queen’s funerals, maybe weddings, maybe Charles’s coronation when the time comes. I think for all else- summer holidays at Balmoral, Christmas at Sandringham, etc.- she will stay back home in Canada. I think that Harry will stay away while licking his wounds, but we may see him coming back around after a year or two. I think that while Meghan never liked and never adjusted to living in the UK, Harry is a British boy at heart and it will be hard for him to stay away for too long, especially as time goes on and wounds heal.

I think the only way we will see any of them back living and working in the UK in any sort of meaningful or permanent way is if something happens in the marriage and Harry comes back alone. I think Meghan has made her decision that she wants to live and raise her child in North America. I think Archie and any future children will go to school in North America and will choose to settle there, and will probably not consider themselves British beyond heritage/place of birth. I think any future children will be born in North America, not Britain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom