The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My prediction is that Meghan will not return to the UK unless Phillip passes sometime during this calendar year.

She beat a retreat and does not desire a return to the battlefield. Much easier to claim a (in her eyes) victory. Many things she says and does in the next six months may not age well.

I do think Harry will be at the Trooping and also visit at Balmoral this year.

I doubt very much Meghan will come back to the UK except for funerals and perhaps events with the few charities she remains patron of. I doubt she would even return for Beatrice’s wedding, certainly nothing like the Trooping, Balmoral, Christmas, or other family events. I don’t think Harry will come back for anything like Trooping either. I think they left with a sour taste in their mouth and are not eager to return.

For me, the saddest part of this ordeal was seeing Philip being driven away from Sandringham minutes before Harry's arrival. If you want an image that sums up the human factor in all this, that is it in a nutshell.

Given the very close eye that was being kept on the comings and goings at Sandringham, and on the movements of every member of the family, there is next to no chance Harry and Philip met at another time without it being commented on.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see any other probable explanation than that Philip would rather take the very real risk of never seeing his grandson again than see him under these circumstances. With all the statements being released, to me this one is the most loud and clear.

The same way you thought they're going to continue royal engagement after they went public with their website? I honestly admire your positivity, but I don't see that happening. Harry - maybe, though I doubt this year, but I don't think we'll see Meghan in the UK for Trooping. I mean, why would she return to the country that made her so unhappy to celebrate birthday of a person who didn't ask if she was okay?

Yes I based my thoughts on their stated wishes on their website. It didn't work out...but at least I'm not jumping on every story the DM puts out.

What is the point in being so negative? Let them have a chance to work it out without all the nasty character attacks and wild theories.

She didn't say no one asked..she said not many have asked. So why assume she was talking about the Queen? This is exactly what I'm talking about. Taking a part of the story and morphing it into this be negative story that is most likely not true.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it likely? Harry maY come but Meghan seems to be settling on the Canadian side..and may not want to bring a toddler all the way to enlgnad….

They have kept Frogmore as a Family home .

Meghan has said she is committed to her British patronage’s.

Every announcement has said the a Family plans to divide their time.

How does any of this equate in your brain to Meghan never returning???

It’s one thing to bring him back for two days when she just came back. Another to bring him back for a few weeks or more to see family. If Meghan and Archie were never coming back they wouldn’t take the expense of keeping Frogmore. Harry easily could have used Notts.

Archie will also be older and travel slightly easier.

It’s totally reasonable for rational people to believe they likely will be back for Trooping. They will combine family and friends with patronages likely. Likely few visits for Meghan to Hubb, Smart works and Mayhew. They both have friends in the UK not to mention his family.

Unless they write a book or do a tell-all interview, I doubt we’ll ever know for sure. I think much of it is probably the intense negative media scrutiny, but I personally wonder if, at the time of the engagement interview, she hadn’t yet experienced the reality of the situation. She hadn’t lived in the UK yet, and I don’t get the sense that she has enjoyed living there much. I also don’t think that she got the support she thought she needed from the Royal Family, I don’t think has made many close friends In the UK who she could rely on for support,, and I don’t think the role and duties were what she expected they would be. Coupled with the fact that in addition to trying to adjust to living in a new country and culture without the support of her closest friends and her mother, she had to adjust to married life and almost immediately after to having a new baby. I’m sure it was all very overwhelming.

In which case, she should have evaluated how to be happier-in Britain, in the circumstances she was in, and the commitment she made and given it more time rather than running away. She had many of the highest stress changes in life all happen over the past 2 years, change of job, moving, marriage, baby....

In which case, she should have evaluated how to be happier-in Britain, in the circumstances she was in, and the commitment she made and given it more time rather than running away. She had many of the highest stress changes in life all happen over the past 2 years, change of job, moving, marriage, baby....

I do think it was very hasty, it’s been what, 18 or 20 months? I wonder if they had given it 5 years if things would have changed. I know that Kate and Sophie both got off to slow or rockier starts to being royals,, and now both of them are thought of as being two of the harder working, reliable family members. They toughed it out and things have gotten better. Then again, both women are from Britain and didn’t have such a stark transition period. I also wonder if things would have turned out differently if they had waited a year or two, and perhaps if Meghan had moved to London and lived there for a bit beforehand to make friends, get used to the culture, see firsthand what royal life would be like.

I think this happened with Diana, to some extent. She'd grown up in upper-class circles, and had her family and friends here, but it was still a lot of change in a short time. She and Charles got engaged very quickly, and married soon afterwards. Then they had William only a year later, even though Diana was only 20 so had no need to rush to produce an heir. I understand that Meghan, in her late 30s, did not want to wait to start a family, but they've been married less than 2 years - surely they could have toughed it out a bit longer.

Unless they write a book or do a tell-all interview, I doubt we’ll ever know for sure. I think much of it is probably the intense negative media scrutiny, but I personally wonder if, at the time of the engagement interview, she hadn’t yet experienced the reality of the situation. She hadn’t lived in the UK yet, and I don’t get the sense that she has enjoyed living there much. I also don’t think that she got the support she thought she needed from the Royal Family, I don’t think has made many close friends In the UK who she could rely on for support,, and I don’t think the role and duties were what she expected they would be. Coupled with the fact that in addition to trying to adjust to living in a new country and culture without the support of her closest friends and her mother, she had to adjust to married life and almost immediately after to having a new baby. I’m sure it was all very overwhelming.

Maybe she should have lived there for awhile, although to be honest, wherever and however she lived would be completely different from her life inside the BRF, so I'm not sure how much that would have told her.

I don't know what kind of support she expected, but it seems to me that Charles and the Queen welcomed her warmly. I've said this before, but if she had struggles and needed help, she should have asked; they're good people, they would have done their best to make her feel more comfortable.

I have no doubt it's all overwhelming, but I wonder if she was naive about these things. Maybe temperamentally she's not suited for life in the BRF; maybe it was too much to ask of her....It could be and probably is many things.

I think reality happened. Meghan wanted to do things her way, wanted to speak up (which, I want to emphasize, is NOT a bad thing), wanted to use her new position to do good - I mean, she said it herself: "I think you realize, once you have access or a voice that people are willing to listen to, with that comes a lot of responsibility." But then she realized that: a) the large part of the work is not glamorous or big - it's greeting people, visiting hospitals, talking, visiting places; b) there's an enormous amount of "red tape" all around, so many things (including good things!) are not allowed; c) this is just my speculation, but seeing as there were so many diary clashes with the Sussexes, she didn't really understood how much careful planning went into all of it, that they were a small sprocket wheel in a big mechanism and they couldn't move at their own pace and in their own direction for the whole mechanism to work. I think The Firm tried to give them more freedom involving them with the Commonwealth, but it just wasn't enough

Agreed - which is essentially what I said above about maybe her not being temperamentally suited for the role. The BRF schedules get togethers with their families - there's really nothing spontaneous about "the life", and I'm sure that was the total opposite of how she lived in the States. If she had maybe given it more time and then admitted that she was struggling, I imagine people would have loved her for admitting her vulnerability, but instead she complains and flees.....and it's just a big mess

Last edited:
. Maybe tempermentally she's not suited for life in the BRF; maybe it was too much to ask of her....It could be and probably is many things.

I think know that is very obvious. It didn't work. She would have had to change. It's not a bad thing that she is different and wanted more of a voice etc it just isn't the BRF. It's not a bad thing to leave something unsuited to you. But also from what I saw she didn't seem to try to learn how things were done.

There are a lot of things get about them both to be honest that alarms me and too makes me sad. Shouting about paparazzi today being one of them. Just see if they go away. There is no,instinct in these two which speaks of biding their time. They are extremely volatile and that is worrying. It also speaks endlessly of his mother and that worries me.

Last edited:
He'd be at the about the 'right' age to be on the balcony unless he's just too squirmy and heavy..he looks like he's going to be a big tall boy.

LaRae

I'd love to see him with his grandpa and his great-grandma....George, etc.. would probably adore him. I can't see Harry not going, honestly .....

Maybe she should have lived there for awhile, although to be honest, wherever and however she lived would be completely different from her life inside the BRF, so I'm not sure how much that would have told her.

I don't know what kind of support she expected, but it seems to me that Charles and the Queen welcomed her warmly. I've said this before, but if she had struggles and needed help, she should have asked; they're good people, they would have done their best to make her feel more comfortable.

I have no doubt it's all overwhelming, but I wonder if she was naive about these things. Maybe temperamentally she's not suited for life in the BRF; maybe it was too much to ask of her....It could be and probably is many things.

Agreed - which is essentially what I said above about maybe her not being temperamentally suited for the role. The BRF schedules get togethers with their families - there's really nothing spontaneous about "the life", and I'm sure that was the total opposite of how she lived in the States. If she had maybe given it more time and then admitted that she was struggling, I imagine people would have loved her for admitting her vulnerability, but instead she complains and flees.....and it's just a big mess

Maybe she did. Maybe they not as good of people as they want to come across as to the public.

I'd love to see him with his grandpa and his great-grandma....George, etc.. would probably adore him. I can't see Harry not going, honestly .....

Depends how he feels about not wearing the uniform, not riding in the carriage. Just hanging out with the other non royal members of the family.

They stripped Harry, who actually served, of his military titles. I wouldn’t blame him for not attending. But we shall see how it all plays out.

I can see them at Beatrice’s wedding.

Yes I based my thoughts on their stated wishes on their website. It didn't work out...but at least I'm not jumping on every story the DM puts out.

What is the point in being so negative? Let them have a chance to work it out without all the nasty character attacks and wild theories.

She didn't say no one asked..she said not many have asked. So why assume she was talking about the Queen? This is exactly what I'm talking about. Taking a part of the story and morphing it into this be negative story that is most likely not true.

LaRae

Many of us knew that website and statement were a very bad idea from the time they released it.

The negativity is a direct result of what Harry and Meghan have said and done over the past 3 months.

That African Journey interview was ambiguous, IMO deliberately so.

LaRae
I'm not jumping on every story the DM puts out - come on, it's DM, we all know they're baaaaaaad. Do I indulge in discussing rumors? Sure. But do I take them 100% seriously? Never.

Sure, I think people are letting the theories run a little wild - though I do understand, because when many of us raised our concerns about Meghan, we were called names. Right now we see things happening that many people in the fandom talked about - or rather tried to talk about - even before the marriage. Not to mention, emotions are flying rather high. Many feel like they lost Harry, and he was a beloved royal, now not really beloved and his royal status is a bit... complicated.

And why am I being so negative? Because I didn't get ONE thing in 2019 from the Sussexes that would convince me I can think in positive terms and not get disappointed. The clear PR mistakes, then the documentary of their Africa tour, the way they went about "stepping down"... I don't see one good thing coming from this move. (And I want to point out, it doesn't mean their work or the tour was abysmal - I was talking about their general direction; basically for the whole year something was off, and now we know what...)

They stripped Harry, who actually served, of his military titles. I wouldn’t blame him for not attending. But we shall see how it all plays out.

I wouldn't blame Beatrice, after what her own father must have put her through, if she didn't want them there. I mean it is her day, not a day to be overshadowed.

Maybe she did. Maybe they not as good of people as they want to come across as to the public.

I can’t buy that. I believe the Queen, Charles and Camilla are good people - who else Meghan would have turned to, I don’t know, but I’m not going to doubt anyone because she doesn’t think she got sufficient support...

They wouldn’t have stripped him if he didn’t want to live as a half-in, half-out Royal. This is a consequence of his choice. If he chooses not to appear because he’s in a snit, then that’s just sad for his family...but ultimately better for everyone (who wants to see him being miserable in such a happy day ?)

I can’t buy that. I believe the Queen, Charles and Camilla are good people - who else Meghan would have turned to, I don’t know, but I’m not going to doubt anyone because she doesn’t think she got sufficient support...

We don’t know any of these people. You can think they are but that doesn’t mean it’s true. This is a family where image is key. They will always protect it. So yeah maybe she didn’t. Maybe she did. We really don’t know. It’s just what folk want to believe.

They wouldn’t have stripped him if he didn’t want to live as a half-in, half-out Royal. This is a consequence of his choice. If he chooses not to appear because he’s in a snit, then that’s just sad for his family...but ultimately better for everyone (who wants to see him being miserable in such a happy day ?)

...not sure why his military had to be stripped. Frankly I wouldn’t really blame him but Harry will probably go.

Trooping is first and foremost a celebration of the monarchs birthday. I personally can’t see him attending but I’d like to point out he hasn’t been stripped of anything Henry “earnt” during his time in the forces. Only his honorary appointments.

Every hundred years or so, they need a “That Woman”. Maybe she is it for this century?

They stripped Harry, who actually served, of his military titles. I wouldn’t blame him for not attending.

Someone 'upthread' [I forget whom] eloquently explained why a Canadian Commodore friend saw this move as essential - it wasn't done out bitterness or anger, but for far more important reasons - the smooth-running of our armed forces, and their morale .

They believe Sussex has betrayed his 'C-in-C' and so feel he can no longer represent them is any capacity.

That is their opinion, one far more important than that of a petulant and stroppy [ex] Prince.

Last edited:
I think it’s unfortunate Meghan and Harry couldn’t have met maybe five years sooner because, to me, the stage of life Meghan was at when Harry came into her life dictated the pace of a lot of things surrounding their relationship. She was an actress in her mid 30s when she met Harry. Even very talented and well known actresses have spoken about how difficult it is for women in show business to find work after 40. Meghan’s acting wasn’t earthshaking and she didn’t have major connections in the business, so Suits was likely going to be the high point of her career. Equally as important, she was a woman in her mid 30s who, (I’m guessing based on the existence of Archie), wanted children.

So, that’s where she’s at when, out of the blue, Harry comes into her life offering solutions to her two most immediate problems - career and children. I’m not surprised she didn’t want to spend too much time digging deeper into what her life was going to look like as a royal given how appealing the superficial package must have looked. She didn’t have the luxury of time, and, as I’ve said before, Harry didn’t do the responsible thing and insist on a pre-marriage period of exposure to life in the UK and to the BRF and everything that goes with them.

So, in short order - fast marriage, baby ASAP, lots of big ideas about what kind of work she was going to do, and then a quick smash into the wall of reality in the form of the restrictions of British royal life and the ruthless British press.

I totally agree with those who think the couple could have given royal life more of a chance. I mean, two years is nothing given all the major life changes they went through. But I think for things to have really worked they would have had to agree to change their strategy to fit with the broader goals of the royal family. If they weren’t willing to do that then I think getting out fairly quickly was best for Harry and Meghan, as well as the institution itself.

Someone 'upthread' [I forget whom] eloquently explained why a Canadian Commodore friend saw this move as essential - it wasn't done out bitterness or anger, but for far more important reasons - the smooth-running of our armed forces, and their morale .

They believe Sussex has betrayed his 'C-in-C' and so feel he can no longer represent them is any capacity.

That is their opinion, one far more important than that of a petulant and stroppy [ex] Prince.

And yet I’ve read many veterans come to his defense. Those who served with him and those who have benefited from his support, ie Invictus Games or otherwise . It’s all opinion but the deed was done for whatever reason. Personally I think they used it to really test if he would leave. Hitting him there really meant he wanted out cause if anything they know how important military was to Harry.

They stripped if of the honoury titles he had as a member of the RF not those he worked himself for. I don't see an issue with that. He agreed (for whatever reasons) to no longer serve the country officially thus the official roles went with that.

He agreed (for whatever reasons) to no longer serve the country officially thus the official roles went with that.

Indeed- 'actions have consequences' and this was/is the logical consequence of HIS actions..

Last edited:
It does seem the BRF were welcoming to Meghan, at least at first. But perhaps feelings cooled as Meghan (and Harry) wanted to do some things their way-"the modern way"-- but were told no and it "stifled Meghan's spirit."

Because things sure seemed to have changed from about a year after the engagement interview.
I remember how long it took for William to be confirmed as Harry's best man . Maybe there was already some discontent .

Harry renounced, so he was not stripped of his military honors, he chose this path. There are no military officers "Part time". He is an adult and he should stop reading his thoughts to gain public sympathy. "Ad nauseam". If they want a private life why do they continue speaking in public? Keep your thoughts to yourself. You are and adult and so is Meghan.
They acted cowardly and disrespectfully towards the BRF.

I do think it was very hasty, it’s been what, 18 or 20 months? I wonder if they had given it 5 years if things would have changed. I know that Kate and Sophie both got off to slow or rockier starts to being royals,, and now both of them are thought of as being two of the harder working, reliable family members. They toughed it out and things have gotten better. Then again, both women are from Britain and didn’t have such a stark transition period. I also wonder if things would have turned out differently if they had waited a year or two, and perhaps if Meghan had moved to London and lived there for a bit beforehand to make friends, get used to the culture, see firsthand what royal life would be like.

SOme people did believe that this was a possibility, that she hadn't spent any real time in the UK and didn't know quite what to expect in Royal British life.. and I think those fears were well grounded. But if she had at least given it 5 years before giving up, I think people might think better of her, than her apparnetnt disappearance after less than 2 years.

Harry renounced, so he was not stripped of his military honors, he chose this path. There are no military officers "Part time". He is an adult and he should stop reading his thoughts to gain public sympathy. "Ad nauseam". If they want a private life why do they continue speaking in public? Keep your thoughts to yourself. You are and adult and so is Meghan.
They acted cowardly and disrespectfully towards the BRF.

I dotn believe he renounced his honorary titles.. I don't think many people expected that to happen and it was almost certainly the queen's idea and he had to go along with it...

There's no way of knowing how the other royals feel about it, but some of Harry's remarks over the past year haven't exactly endeared him to people. Meghan may have ruffled a few feathers, but Harry has as well.

There's no way of knowing how the other royals feel about it, but some of Harry's remarks over the past year haven't exactly endeared him to people. Meghan may have ruffled a few feathers, but Harry has as well.

Harry has always been somewhat silly but with Meghan, he seems to have become even more volatile and prone to shoot his mouth off.. The 2 of them have made a terrible hash of wanting to get out... Its up to them now if they make something good of their freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom