The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't just take a child abroad without the other parent's consent. If Meghan had done that, it would have been abduction. She may have said it - we'll never know - but she couldn't have done it, unless she wanted the police after her!

Especially one whose great-grandmother is the head of state of 16 different countries (including the one the child was taken to). If Harry fell for such an ultimatum he has less smarts that even rumored.

What bothers me the most is what "Meghan's friends" claim she allegedly said, namely that she and Harry have no plans to take down the label "royal" from their social media accounts or foundation, and that "they will always be considered royal" no matter what.

If that is true, it seems that they are not taking seriously the agreement not to use their HRH publicly anymore. That might force the Queen to go for the nuclear option of actually legally stripping them of the HRH, which I suppose she doesn't want to do, but might have to.

And, again, we hear claims that Harry and Meghan consider themselves to be "game changers" (previously, they used the word "disrupters") , which is extremely pretensious.

I hope she does. I’m still stuck on “a progressive new role within the institution” as if they’re running the show. Forgive me, can’t think of another word other than balls.

Last edited:
It does seem the BRF were welcoming to Meghan, at least at first. But perhaps feelings cooled as Meghan (and Harry) wanted to do some things their way-"the modern way"-- but were told no and it "stifled Meghan's spirit."

Because things sure seemed to have changed from about a year after the engagement interview.

I really wonder about all those Africa rumors from last year now. It puts it all in a new light.

That could be........

I haven't seen the engagement interview in full, to be honest... Rumors?

Doea he care about her or is it his grandson and son. It's a vested interest.

Royal author Penny Junor wrote in the Spectator Harry’s decision has been a “nightmare” for “loving father” Prince Charles.

Ms Junor wrote: “Everyone’s sympathy this week has been for the Queen, now 93, and the upset Harry and Meghan’s decision has caused her.

“But it has also been a nightmare for Prince Charles.

“He is the second most senior member of the family and the one who will take the monarchy forward, but he is also a loving father, facing the possible disintegration of his family.”

Ms Junor adds that the loss of Harry and Meghan would be particularly sore for Charles, who was “desperate” to help his youngest find a happy solution.

She added: “Prince Charles will have been terribly worried about Harry’s happiness, and desperate to help his younger son find the right solution without burning any bridges.”

https://www.express.co.uk/news/roya...ction-prince-harry-meghan-markle-leave-canada

Last edited by a moderator:
What bothers me the most is what "Meghan's friends" claim she allegedly said, namely that she and Harry have no plans to take down the label "royal" from their social media accounts or foundation, and that "they will always be considered royal" no matter what.

If that is true, it seems that they are not taking seriously the agreement not to use their HRH publicly anymore. That might force the Queen to go for the nuclear option of actually legally stripping them of the HRH, which I suppose she doesn't want to do, but might have to.

And, again, we hear claims that Harry and Meghan consider themselves to be "game changers" (previously, they used the word "disrupters") , which is extremely pretensious.

I remember reading a DM article where they speculated that the Queen was considering stripping him of the HRH and The Duke of Sussex, and leaving him with Earl of Dumbarton but thought it was could across as too punitive. If this is remotely true it seems that the Queen can strip the peerage without parliamentary action. If any of this article about Meghan's friends is true, I see this happening sooner rather than late.

l If this is remotely true it seems that the Queen can strip the peerage without parliamentary action.

It isn’t remotely true. The Queen cannot strip him of his Dukedom. Hence why you read it in a Daily Mail article because nobody bothered to fact check before pressing send.

I would image this had to be heart wrenching for all concerned, but family should always come first. I wish Harry and Meghan the best, and Godspeed. :D

I remember reading a DM article where they speculated that the Queen was considering stripping him of the HRH and The Duke of Sussex, and leaving him with Earl of Dumbarton but thought it was could across as too punitive. If this is remotely true it seems that the Queen can strip the peerage without parliamentary action. If any of this article about Meghan's friends is true, I see this happening sooner rather than late.

no the queen cannot remove the peerage

It isn’t remotely true. The Queen cannot strip him of his Dukedom. Hence why you read it in a Daily Mail article because nobody bothered to fact check before pressing send.

And that’s why it’s equally surprising to see everyone take the DM at face value all of a sudden. These papers have a massive agenda and they are milking this for all it’s worth.

And that’s why it’s equally surprising to see everyone take the DM at face value all of a sudden. These papers have a massive agenda and they are milking this for all it’s worth.

It's beyond me ...I don't understand it at all.

LaRae

I'm angry at her attitude - she doesn't mean anything to me, but it bothers the heck out of me that she's trying to turn Harry against his family, that she's ungrateful and arrogant (if even a quarter of these stories are true) and that while she is all merry and gay about her new life, she doesn't care that Harry is actually rather sad (even if he is excited). I can't just shrug this off - as a follower of the BRF, I'm extremely hurt on their behalf.

You are implying things you read from the pictures (or out of the media reporting from unreliable sources).

But I agree with you that taking Harry out of the family to form a twosome with him was, well is, bad.
We'll see what happens next and then we might ahve a better basis to choose if we agree or disagree with their choices.

I agree with you. The "we had no other choice" part of the speech was actually that Harry had no other choice or Meghan would have left the country with Archie. If you take this thought further, it actually aligns with the statement that this arrangement will be reevaluated within a year. Basically, the Queen is giving them a year of space to reevaluate their life together.
Agree 100%!!!
Meghan would have left, with our without Harry. The writing was on the wall after the teary interview in Africa. It was clear nothing would change unless Meghan was prepared to put her head down and do her job, but that was not her way from the beginning. The sabbatical for christmas already was her relocation. In that respect, Harry did not have a choice.

I'm skeptical also......but Harry will be there. What other dates - family gatherings, I guess - might he also appear at?

I hope Prince Harry attends the Trooping. He has attended royal functions on his own without Meghan.

You are implying things you read from the pictures (or out of the media reporting from unreliable sources).

But I agree with you that taking Harry out of the family to form a twosome with him was, well is, bad.
We'll see what happens next and then we might ahve a better basis to choose if we agree or disagree with their choices.

It's all we have....I loved and supported Meghan until this thing happened; I don't take any joy in ripping her.

It is, and I think they jumped the gun on this. It seems like Harry is really torn, devastated at leaving his family and all he's known behind. I just don't know that such extreme measures were necessary. I think a lot about his father, especially...he's heartbroken.

I hope Prince Harry attends the Trooping. He has attended royal functions on his own without Meghan.

I think they will both be at the Trooping, perhaps with Archie!

LaRae

I read that link. I don’t know that much about privacy laws in the UK (or lack there of), but I wonder if these laws are the reason they moved to Vancouver Island.

I read an article in the Guardian today about a UK based paparazzi who said taking photos wasn’t about the photos anymore. It was about creating stories in line with the narrative the editor wanted to sell. Despicable person this guy is.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/feb/07/confessions-of-the-paparazzi-review

They are mostly all despicable IMO. But they better be careful because if they go traipsing around and disturb other ppl living in the area, they might find themselves in trouble from more than one angle.

It makes sense to me that it could be a very attractive reason they would choose to live in B.C. Seems like all the nature and natural settings would suit them too.

LaRae

That could be........

I haven't seen the engagement interview in full, to be honest... Rumors?

You should watch the engagement interview--Meghan was very positive and eager about the work and joining the royal family.

Last spring there were rumors that Harry & Meghan were going to move to Africa.
In one version of the rumor William and his private secretary were conspiring to send Harry and Meghan to Africa to get rid of them.

Now I think there was some truth to the idea that Harry and Meghan were exploring a move. It seems highly likely.

some links to a few of the articles--
https://www.insider.com/prince-harry-meghan-markle-archie-africa-move-impact-royal-family-2019-6
https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/22/uk/harry-meghan-sussex-africa-scli-gbr-intl/index.html
https://www.her.ie/celeb/palace-speaks-harry-meghans-potential-move-africa-leaked-460585
https://www.glamour.com/story/meghan-markle-prince-harry-move-to-africa
https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/04...-couple-as-far-away-as-possible-from-william/

Last edited:

I think- honestly- this is the result of the incredibly poor way Harry and Meghan have handled things publicly starting at least with the interview. Arguably you could go back to Archie’s birth. But my own re- evaluation started with the interview.

What is known just looks so bad. The optics were and are terrible. The whiny (imo) interview in Africa, of all places, where Meghan’s Misery was spelled out. You could walk out of that thinking- based on what she said- she hated the U.K., felt unsupported by the BRF and her life was just circling the drain being forced to live such a terrible life. Because she wasn’t thriving, the British stiff upper lip doesn’t work, no one asked how she was doing, she thought she’d get fair press etc al.

What exactly she meant is somewhat subject to interpretation- but how she presented herself: deeply unhappy- is not. She herself opened a lot of doors for speculation with that. It’s not hard imo to see how this happened.

Harry added to the mess by acknowledging issues with William. Great. So now he’s confirmed that. Now you add known family issues to the list. It’s not speculation- it’s fact. He goes off about his hatred of the media too.

Then- they take their “break”, they come back- and announce they’re going part time, moving and listing out how exactly (yet vaguely) this will work. Only they forgot to remember to make sure any of this was agreed to first. They blindside the family. Whoops. Even their FIRST STATEMENT was wrong. There is no part time; they’re just done. It looks incredibly underhanded, arrogant, entitled, thoughtless, pushy etc.

On top of all that- Meghan returning for 30 seconds in the U.K. looks bad. Harry handled the fallout while she went home. She moved her dogs to Canada. She didn’t bring Archie to visit family. (We can debate why she opted not to- but she brought him to Africa.) She started doing charity visits in Canada. If she wanted to even LOOK like she had any interest in remaining a working member of the BRF, had any love for the U.K., liked members of the BRF , this was the wrong way to handle it. You can debate why she did it, but the decision looks bad imo. Optically it just does imo. I’m not saying how she felt- just how it looks. That matters.

It’s easy to start seeing people in an increasingly poor light when known facts are so bad. Again- imo. They gave everyone a lot to work with.

I wasn’t a believer in “never complain, never explain.” Seemed a bit extreme. That might well have been the very best advice anyone in this family could get just looking at the mess Andrew, Harry and Meghan have made. And look where they are now.

I wasn’t a believer in “never complain, never explain.” Seemed a bit extreme. That might well have been the very best advice anyone in this family could get just looking at the mess Andrew, Harry and Meghan have made. And look where they are now.

I think it's an excellent maxim! Camilla's followed it, and she now has widespread respect. The Charles and Diana interviews in the 1990s were big mistakes. Andrew unfortunately failed to learn from them. Whether you're the Queen's grandson or Joe/Josephine Bloggs, there's a saying about not washing your dirty linen in public! There's also a saying about when you're already in a hole, stop digging - I don't think Harry has helped himself with that whingey speech.

I'm sad that this is all such a mess. Harry's pretty much said that he hasn't got the deal he wanted, but surely it was very unwise to announce that they were jumping ship without even waiting to see what was on offer. Would you walk into work, announce that you were quitting your job, and then complain that you'd just assumed the boss would offer you a transfer to a better department but they hadn't done? I don't know if they've done this off their own bat or been very ill-advised, but it's a bit of a shambles.

Last edited:
You should watch the engagement interview--Meghan was very positive and eager about the work and joining the royal family.

Last spring there were rumors that Harry & Meghan were going to move to Africa.
In one version of the rumor William and his private secretary were conspiring to send Harry and Meghan to Africa to get rid of them.

Now I think there was some truth to the idea that Harry and Meghan were exploring a move. It seems highly likely.

some links to a few of the articles--
https://www.insider.com/prince-harry-meghan-markle-archie-africa-move-impact-royal-family-2019-6
https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/22/uk/harry-meghan-sussex-africa-scli-gbr-intl/index.html
https://www.her.ie/celeb/palace-speaks-harry-meghans-potential-move-africa-leaked-460585
https://www.glamour.com/story/meghan-markle-prince-harry-move-to-africa
https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/04...-couple-as-far-away-as-possible-from-william/

Thanks, I will check them out!

I did see clips of the interview at the time, now that I think about it - she looked very happy and definitely excited, it’s not like she looked burdened with the pressure. What could have happened? Was it all media and social media? If so, that’s why she should have taken a page out of the BRF handbook.

That rumor about William sounds ridiculous. I could see Harry and Meghan exploring that idea, but not permanently....I’m sure a modification of their calendar would have been fine if that’s what they wanted.

They would be awesome! Aww, Archie ..

Is it likely? Harry maY come but Meghan seems to be settling on the Canadian side..and may not want to bring a toddler all the way to enlgnad….

I read that link. I don’t know that much about privacy laws in the UK (or lack there of), but I wonder if these laws are the reason they moved to Vancouver Island.

I read an article in the Guardian today about a UK based paparazzi who said taking photos wasn’t about the photos anymore. It was about creating stories in line with the narrative the editor wanted to sell. Despicable person this guy is.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/feb/07/confessions-of-the-paparazzi-review

But is he lying? This thread is proof to that narrative. The truth no longer matters. It’s whatever story works for whatever agenda you need.

My prediction is that Meghan will not return to the UK unless Phillip passes sometime during this calendar year.

She beat a retreat and does not desire a return to the battlefield. Much easier to claim a (in her eyes) victory. Many things she says and does in the next six months may not age well.

I do think Harry will be at the Trooping and also visit at Balmoral this year.

We don't know how much the Sussexes saw HM and Philip and other members of the immediate family behind the scenes, though based off what we have my guess is that Canada will be a more permanent home and we won't see the family at Trooping this year, but I'll wait and see.

My prediction is that Meghan will not return to the UK unless Phillip passes sometime during this calendar year.

She beat a retreat and does not desire a return to the battlefield. Much easier to claim a (in her eyes) victory. Many things she says and does in the next six months may not age well.

I do think Harry will be at the Trooping and also visit at Balmoral this year.

By all accounts he has rarely gone to Balmoral, because he associates it with hearing of his mother's death, so I doubt if he'll go unless he really has to.

I think- honestly- this is the result of the incredibly poor way Harry and Meghan have handled things publicly starting at least with the interview. Arguably you could go back to Archie’s birth. But my own re- evaluation started with the interview.

What is known just looks so bad. The optics were and are terrible. The whiny (imo) interview in Africa, of all places, where Meghan’s Misery was spelled out. You could walk out of that thinking- based on what she said- she hated the U.K., felt unsupported by the BRF and her life was just circling the drain being forced to live such a terrible life. Because she wasn’t thriving, the British stiff upper lip doesn’t work, no one asked how she was doing, she thought she’d get fair press etc al.

What exactly she meant is somewhat subject to interpretation- but how she presented herself: deeply unhappy- is not. She herself opened a lot of doors for speculation with that. It’s not hard imo to see how this happened.

Harry added to the mess by acknowledging issues with William. Great. So now he’s confirmed that. Now you add known family issues to the list. It’s not speculation- it’s fact. He goes off about his hatred of the media too.

Then- they take their “break”, they come back- and announce they’re going part time, moving and listing out how exactly (yet vaguely) this will work. Only they forgot to remember to make sure any of this was agreed to first. They blindside the family. Whoops. Even their FIRST STATEMENT was wrong. There is no part time; they’re just done. It looks incredibly underhanded, arrogant, entitled, thoughtless, pushy etc.

On top of all that- Meghan returning for 30 seconds in the U.K. looks bad. Harry handled the fallout while she went home. She moved her dogs to Canada. She didn’t bring Archie to visit family. (We can debate why she opted not to- but she brought him to Africa.) She started doing charity visits in Canada. If she wanted to even LOOK like she had any interest in remaining a working member of the BRF, had any love for the U.K., liked members of the BRF , this was the wrong way to handle it. You can debate why she did it, but the decision looks bad imo. Optically it just does imo. I’m not saying how she felt- just how it looks. That matters.

It’s easy to start seeing people in an increasingly poor light when known facts are so bad. Again- imo. They gave everyone a lot to work with.

I couldn’t agree more. We’re not just making this up out of wholecloth.....It’s a matter of interpretation, so in that case I don’t think we should question why each of us believes as we do. We can debate, we should debate...but our opinions are all valid

It does appear to be her way to move on and cut off those she no longer wants to gave in her life. It will be interesting to see the next moves in relation to visits.

Thanks, I will check them out!

I did see clips of the interview at the time, now that I think about it - she looked very happy and definitely excited, it’s not like she looked burdened with the pressure. What could have happened? Was it all media and social media? If so, that’s why she should have taken a page out of the BRF handbook.

That rumor about William sounds ridiculous. I could see Harry and Meghan exploring that idea, but not permanently....I’m sure a modification of their calendar would have been fine if that’s what they wanted.

Unless they write a book or do a tell-all interview, I doubt we’ll ever know for sure. I think much of it is probably the intense negative media scrutiny, but I personally wonder if, at the time of the engagement interview, she hadn’t yet experienced the reality of the situation. She hadn’t lived in the UK yet, and I don’t get the sense that she has enjoyed living there much. I also don’t think that she got the support she thought she needed from the Royal Family, I don’t think has made many close friends In the UK who she could rely on for support,, and I don’t think the role and duties were what she expected they would be. Coupled with the fact that in addition to trying to adjust to living in a new country and culture without the support of her closest friends and her mother, she had to adjust to married life and almost immediately after to having a new baby. I’m sure it was all very overwhelming.

I think they will both be at the Trooping, perhaps with Archie!

LaRae
The same way you thought they're going to continue royal engagement after they went public with their website? I honestly admire your positivity, but I don't see that happening. Harry - maybe, though I doubt this year, but I don't think we'll see Meghan in the UK for Trooping. I mean, why would she return to the country that made her so unhappy to celebrate birthday of a person who didn't ask if she was okay?
I think reality happened. Meghan wanted to do things her way, wanted to speak up (which, I want to emphasize, is NOT a bad thing), wanted to use her new position to do good - I mean, she said it herself: "I think you realize, once you have access or a voice that people are willing to listen to, with that comes a lot of responsibility." But then she realized that: a) the large part of the work is not glamorous or big - it's greeting people, visiting hospitals, talking, visiting places; b) there's an enormous amount of "red tape" all around, so many things (including good things!) are not allowed; c) this is just my speculation, but seeing as there were so many diary clashes with the Sussexes, she didn't really understood how much careful planning went into all of it, that they were a small sprocket wheel in a big mechanism and they couldn't move at their own pace and in their own direction for the whole mechanism to work. I think The Firm tried to give them more freedom involving them with the Commonwealth, but it just wasn't enough.

They would be awesome! Aww, Archie ..

He'd be at the about the 'right' age to be on the balcony unless he's just too squirmy and heavy..he looks like he's going to be a big tall boy.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom