The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I thought this.

but he was also getting funding from his father, to help wit his public work and his private expenses. the Sovereign Grant Ie public fudnding, was a relatively small amount...

While we can all speculate on what Harry meant by "no choice", it's perhaps worth noting that he said this in his speech:
"I want you to hear the truth from me, as much as I can share"
There are details he can't tell us related to all this & maybe we'll never know. Didn't one of the RRs say they knew things they couldn't repeat "for legal reasons"?
Well if it’s a legal (or illegal) matter that is under investigation, it is fairly stupid of him to mention it even in a general wink-wink way.
Because it makes the public ponder what is going on.

And the papparazzi pictures have started and the press are ignoring the warnings because it isn't the palace tbis time. I know they will loose interest but I feel so so sorry for them. They wouldn't have wanted this and they are looking more and more foolish. If this continues. It will make Cambridge children's childhood look like they are shut in a dungeon. I hope it all just goes away soon.

Thought pulled out of left field in a galaxy far, far, away. How much of this "new path to forge" as far as their foundation was formed by listening to their PR manager they hired last March who is a) An American, b) a former senior adviser to Hilary Clinton and c) adviser to Hilary Clinton in her 2016 run for the presidency of the US? Is the Clinton Foundation a working model they used for the Sussex Royal Foundation?

Perhaps things may have turned out completely different if they had hired someone to advise them that knew and understood just how the monarchy and the "Firm" in the UK works? And also how the UK media works? And who also knew and could advise Harry and Meghan towards workable solutions to their problems without going all out "American capitalism"?

Just points I'm pondering here. Keeps the grey matter active. :D

Sara Latham, which is who you are talking about, is also a British citizen and had worked for the UK government and was a principal for a well regarded British firm. So her background isn't much different from many of the young royals' staffers.

Last edited:
They're reportedly now threatening to take legal action against the paparazzi in Canada. More tabloid headlines. It would probably have happened anyway, but they haven’t helped themselves by handling it so badly and creating a big drama - Showdown at Sandringham and all the rest of it could easily have been avoided if they’d been a little more patient. What a mess.

They're reportedly now threatening to take legal action against the paparazzi in Canada. More tabloid headlines. It would probably have happened anyway, but they haven’t helped themselves by handling it so badly and creating a big drama - Showdown at Sandringham and all the rest of it could easily have been avoided if they’d been a little more patient. What a mess.
The only question I have about Meghan paparazzi pics and those saying they were not tipped: how would they know Meghan was picking up a friend from the airport, on that day and that time?
How would they the exact time let alone trail she was gonna walk in?

Tell me how, if they were not tipped in advance.

How long will the Bank of Dad have to keep funding H&M's ridiculous battle with the media?

Interesting, but not unexpected. From what some Canadian posters on this forum have indicated, the rules governing paparazzi are more restrictive in Canada, so perhaps there is a good case to be made. On the other hand, how much expectation of privacy is there when you are on a public footpath? There's a huge difference between long lens or drone photos of individuals in private spaces, and photos taken when you are out and about. Or so you would think.

If these lawsuits are being funded by Harry's personal fortune, it isn't going to last long at this rate.

Maybe this will be the end of it in Canada, but there will be a lot of this in the States - by paparazzi from sleazy, trashy, no-morals tabloids like the National Enquirer- so they should get used to it. Good thing we’re a litigious country, lol

The only question I have about Meghan paparazzi pics and those saying they were not tipped: how would they know Meghan was picking up a friend from the airport, on that day and that time?

My favorite show was filmed outside of Vancouver, and some amateur paparazzi (they were just ordinary joes, not professionals in any way) who used to take photos in set where they weren’t supposed to in order to get better photos, used to hang out at airports at times when it was likely that actors would be there, like after a weekend off when they were returning to Vancouver for filming again. Then they “attacked” the actors right off the plane, getting autographs that they could later sell.

I’m not sure what exactly you are referring to since this photo was not taken at the airport, but my point was to show the lengths people will go to...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, this could just go the other way round.
Any "warnings" from their Royal Highnesses will probabely be noted with a little smile.

I don't know. Is it a trail she often walks on? She has dogs meaning she needs to walk them several times a day. Does she often walk the same route? Does she alternate routes? Are we certain the photo's were made by paps? Was it long range or short range? If it was long range, is there a chance she did not even see the photographer? Did Harry tip op the media when the was photographed? Or Eugenie and Beatrice when they are photographed out and about?

On twitter Canadians tried to proof the pictures were taken in December, because one can see the xmas decoration behind the car, and this is being removed on January, 9th BEFORE the photos appeared in public,

I don't know. Is it a trail she often walks on? She has dogs meaning she needs to walk them several times a day. Does she often walk the same route? Does she alternate routes? Are we certain the photo's were made by paps? Was it long range or short range? If it was long range, is there a chance she did not even see the photographer? Did Harry tip op the media when the was photographed? Or Eugenie and Beatrice when they are photographed out and about?

She was smiling, as she was the day she was seen driving the car. The photographer didn't appear to bother her at the time.

[...]

Was she treated disgustingly by some elements of the press? Yes. Was she cruelly attacked even to the point of racism by some people on social media? Yes. Yes she was. But she was ALWAYS greeted with nothing but adulation and goodwill by people in public, to her face. So IMHO people need to stop saying the public treated her awfully because it's demonstrably not true at all.

Meghan is an actress. Everyone must remember that. She stepped into her "Princess Grace"-American marries a dashing foreign Prince. One that would never be King, but was beloved by both of their countries. She was accepted, as an American Divorcee, in a way that never would have occurred a generation ago. I wanted to believe in the modern day fairy tale, like many others. But, it didn't take long for her to realize that she would be forever overshadowed..So she rebelled, and then moved into her next role: Victim. She played it well. Now, she certainly believes she has won. But, as life moves on, we will see. When Prince Phillip passes and, ultimately, the Queen, I think Harry will deal with guilt for the cold, arrogant way they handled this.

Meghan is an actress. Everyone must remember that. She stepped into her "Princess Grace"-American marries a dashing foreign Prince. One that would never be King, but was beloved by both of their countries. She was accepted, as an American Divorcee, in a way that never would have occurred a generation ago. I wanted to believe in the modern day fairy tale, like many others. But, it didn't take long for her to realize that she would be forever overshadowed..So, she rebelled, and then moved into her next role: Victim. She played it well. Now, she certainly believes she has won. But, as life moves on, we will see. When Prince Phillip passes and, ultimately, the Queen, I think Harry will deal with guilt for the cold, arrogant way they handled this.

I do agree with the first part of the post with regards the actress playing a role, also IMHO she did not like playing second fiddle to anybody else, when you look at royal events when the others are there, she does not look happy. When it is her on her own or with Harry and she is centre of attention she is always fine, happy and full of smiles. When she was with Harry at events she always took over, went ahead of him, then introduced him to people. In interviews she would answer the questions, he was lucky to get a word in. Also the hand in the back, the 'I am in control 'move.

Meghan is an actress. Everyone must remember that. She stepped into her "Princess Grace"-American marries a dashing foreign Prince. One that would never be King, but was beloved by both of their countries. She was accepted, as an American Divorcee, in a way that never would have occurred a generation ago. I wanted to believe in the modern day fairy tale, like many others. But, it didn't take long for her to realize that she would be forever overshadowed...So she rebelled, and then moved into her next role: Victim. She played it well. Now, she certainly believes she has won. But, as life moves on, we will see. When Prince Phillip passes and, ultimately, the Queen, I think Harry will deal with guilt for the cold, arrogant way they handled this.

I wonder if Harry had the time to go and say goodbye to his grandparents before he left.

Meghan is an actress. Everyone must remember that. She stepped into her "Princess Grace"-American marries a dashing foreign Prince. One that would never be King, but was beloved by both of their countries. She was accepted, as an American Divorcee, in a way that never would have occurred a generation ago. I wanted to believe in the modern day fairy tale, like many others. But, it didn't take long for her to realize that she would be forever overshadowed...So she rebelled, and then moved into her next role: Victim. She played it well. Now, she certainly believes she has won. But, as life moves on, we will see. When Prince Phillip passes and, ultimately, the Queen, I think Harry will deal with guilt for the cold, arrogant way they handled this.

I do think there is - or has been - jealousy on Harry’s part of the significant role William is to play - and is, even if he wouldn’t actually want that for himself. I think this separation and desire to enter into the business world (really, did he ever express interest in that at school? Ever? Even after?) reflects his desire to accomplish things on his own that won’t be overshadowed by his brother. Meghan already had those interests, so no doubt she encouraged him, persuaded him that what she wanted, he wanted also.

As for guilt, well it does appear as if Harry does feel truly sad at leaving the U.K. and his family. If anything happens to any of his family while he’s in NA, there is a good chance he’ll feel guilty over not spending enough time with them. Regret is a terrible thing to have to love with - I DO hope he will visit his father, brother and grandparents (everyone, of course, but especially them) relatively often.

I think making money from their brand while being a royal is the crux of the matter. If he wanted to be a helicopter pilot and she wanted a regular job, it would have been fine for them to do a few royal duties on the side.

I think is is the key sticking point with their whole plan. They wanted to make big money from being Royal, while still actually carrying out engagements on behalf of the Queen and Country occasionally--like representing the U.K. and Monarch on tours. I don't understand how they ever thought that was possible.

I agree, if they wanted to pursue regular careers, like Beatrice and Eugenie, they may have been able to step back and just do an occasional event. But I don't see anyone but a full-time royal doing the big several day/week long tours though.

Last edited:
I wonder if Harry had the time to go and say goodbye to his grandparents before he left.

He had plenty of time, and I think it's obvious from statements from both sides that there is a lot of love between grandson and grandparents.

they have enough money IMO to lead a quiet but private life. If they wanted to move abroad or in the UK and give up mainstream royal life, jut retain a few duties, I don't think people wuold mind. It would still leave the RF without one of their main workers but they would find a way around that. Charles would probably discreetly add to their income and they had enough to live without jobs, and could choose how they wanted to spend their time...but that's not wht they want. Perhaps they do still want to do philanthropy, but it seems that their main aim is to be free to make an income...

Although, I keep wondering just how much they have. In cash. The house Megan looked at on Vancouver Island is $27M. There's a lot for them to figure out (such as how to manage said money; most would want a very good fnancia advisor).

So many new, independent things for them to do (finding good lawyers in Canada, deciding on where and how to keep their cash; getting a good real estate advisor to make sure their property investments are exactly that - and not just a pretty house, etc).

Harry's seeming surprise at what just happened to him makes me worry about how much pre-plannng/adulting has gone on. Fortunately, we know that he's intelligent and adaptable and very much was able to get through military service in Afghanistan, so I suspect he can adapt again.

I just hope it's not merely the 2 of them against the world at this point and that they are able to get some of the advice and counsel about their new way of life that they were getting from the Royal Family and its systems. It'll definitely feel very new to him at first.

I’m sure he did, but he didn’t get to say goodbye to his father - unless he did it by phone or some video..which is not the same thing. They won’t see each other for awhile, so that’s especially sad for me

Well this is interesting.

Saira Khan was their biggest supporter! (Even only last week) The fact that she has, seems to, turned her view.. man.

And mentioning the pap pic at the end

I agree with you. The "we had no other choice" part of the speech was actually that Harry had no other choice or Meghan would have left the country with Archie. If you take this thought further, it actually aligns with the statement that this arrangement will be reevaluated within a year. Basically, the Queen is giving them a year of space to reevaluate their life together.

I truly believe this really is the crux of the matter. Many of us here have seen the writing on the wall for a very long time and thought that it was only a matter of time before it all came to a head. However, anytime we dared to voice an opinion that even remotely sounded less than positive we were drug through the coals, called terrible things, and worse. Anyhow, I genuinely believe that the BRF sees the writing on the wall, too, and probably has for some time now. They've been down this road before. I really believe that this is a big part of the reason that the style (and possibly the titles, too, though that would have been much harder) weren't stripped and everything is being reviewed in a year. I really believe that the family thinks it will all blow up even more spectacularly than it already has and that Harry will be back in rather short order. All these comments about "for legal reasons" and "what I can share" really make me think that the RF may even already be laying the groundwork and readying the necessary players in the event that a settlement, custody issues, residency issues for Archie, etc. come into play. I really don't think I'd even be surprised to find that this was all mentioned to Harry during negotiations. Yes, he wouldn't have liked it and would have most likely strongly refuted the very idea but it doesn't change the fact that the RF and their lawyers and advisers tend to be quite pragmatic and, I'd bet, are well prepared for all possibilities.

Saira Khan was their biggest supporter! (Even only last week) The fact that she has, seems to, turned her view.. man.

Oh god that woman :bang: And I've never known her to defend them? But I have always found her annoying and generally skip anything she is on so maybe I missed it.

Also sorry but her stance on race in the UK is bonkers and absolutely out of touch with the experience of many POC and especially Black Britons including my own experiences.

Thing is Harry has never been papped in the UK. Post levenson celeb paps are rare anyway. But the royal no. Also you can't sue over a public place. The palace could send warnings and be listened to. This won't work. Did they real think about this. Like someone else said. Has their been any adulting. And to those who said Harry will survive because of the army. No you are controlled and told what to do in the army. He has never ever been independent or had to worry about anything as basic as money.

Thing is Harry has never been papped in the UK. Post levenson celeb paps are rare anyway. But the royal no. Also you can't sue over a public place. The palace could send warnings and be heed. This won't work. Did they real thibg about this. Like someone else said. Has their been any adulting. And to those who said Harry will survive because of the army. No you are controlled and told what to do in the army. He has never ever been independent or had to worry about anything as basic as money.

Harry has been papped an incredible amount of times in the UK since Leveson...

Harry has been papped an incredible amount of times in the UK since Leveson...

Ah not really. Lets be honest. And not published in the papers. Post William and Kate's wedding around 400 pictures of Pippa Middleton appeared on editors desks before 10am every morning. He isn't papped often. No public figure really is. Maybe at times of particular interest. They used to be rabid.

Wow, those ladies in the first video are spot on (except I do not feel sorry for Harry and Meghan). It was their choice, their decision....they ought to have the guts to say it instead of saying they “had no choice”, implying outside forces forced them into it

Ah not really. Lets be honest. And not published in the papers. Post William and Kate's wedding around 400 pictures of Pippa Middleton appeared on editors desks before 10am every morning. He isn't papped often. No public figure really is. Maybe at times of particular interest. They used to be rabid.

I mean...that is literally not true. Go back through this forum (although folks here rarely post links to pap photos) or other royal forums or blogs and links to pap pictures are a plenty both ones published online in online versions of UK papers and in the print version.

He wasnt photographed every day like Pippa was, but you said he was "never" papped and that was wrong...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom