The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Desperate, huh? Yeah, I don’t see them coming home anytime soon if things were sooo bad that they were desperate to leave, had no choice....it’s amazing how they wanted to eat their cake and have it, too

The Queen had insisted his decision must not overshadow senior royals’ high-profile engagements this week.

So Harry, 35, had no option but to agree to the terms set out in front of him, banning him and Meghan from using their HRH titles and forcing him to give up his cherished military roles.

Sources close to him say he was “devastated” at the development but felt that if he did not agree, he and wife Meghan, 38, stood to lose even more ground in their bid to leave the royal fold.

A palace source said: “It was made abundantly clear to Harry: agree to this and then you can go. By his own admission it was not under the terms he wanted but he had no other option.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-ne...r.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

No one messes with Anne. She is a strong no nonsense woman who is dedicated and works very hard for her mother and the Crown. She is the type of person who would have told them both to quit whining and get on with it.

Many would read her so-called no nonsense as simply being rude. Something I can personally attest to.

Probably not any time soon. I would imagine they have a lot to work through with the changes to their plans and their branding,

Good point....well, everyone is getting on with it, with their official engagement as such. Maybe time will pass quickly and it won’t seem so long before they’re together again ....

I am proud of the Queen and Prince Charles holding their ground although through this fiasco which I am sure it was extremely difficult.

Me, too. This wasn’t easy for them, they didn’t want to do this, but they didn’t have any choice either. Their entire lives have been devoted to their crown and country and that wasn’t going to change, no matter how much they love Harry. I’m sure they hope that he’ll understand that one day..l

Last edited by a moderator:
Me, too. This wasn’t easy for them, they didn’t want to do this, but they didn’t have any choice either. Their entire lives have been devoted to their crown and country and that wasn’t going to change, no matter how much they love Harry. I’m sure they hope that he’ll understand that one day..l

The terms might well have been better had he kept his mouth shut. Leak or no leak- he made it a public issue, forcing them to end this PR nightmare fast, and making it sound like there was an agreement when there was clearly none.

Even the initial announcement wasn’t right. Forget the website. He said they were stepping back as senior royals. Nope- turns out they’re done.

This simply was not thought out at all. Period. And here are the consequences of both what they wanted and how they went about it.

Very sad and unfortunate.

While theoretically the door has been left open, IMO, it is only for HIM. I do not see how they can claim that they are quitting mostly because of the way the media have treated HER and then both come back to resume without any significant changes (and as far as the media is concerned there won't be any).

I would venture to say that the media would be even worse, if they came back.

Last edited:
I would venture to say that the media would be even worse, if they came back.

They have picked a fight that, IMO, they cannot win. The media is going to go after them no-holds barred. The pap shots from today basically shows that she has no issues with media attention as long as they tell the story she wants told. This is not going to play well with the UK media and they will ratchet up their negative coverage of them.

The only reason I see "them" coming back is if they cannot make a success of whatever they want to do with their lives. Returning would mean they would have to admit that they cannot make it outside the Royal institution and the media would never let them forget that.

One think has always been true about the media: they love nothing more than to build people up and then tear them down. And most of these people have not angered the media by hurling accusations at them.

Last edited:
They have picked a fight that, IMO, they cannot win. The media is going to go after them no-holds barred. The pap shots from today basically shows that she has no issues with media attention as long as they tell the story she wants told. This is not going to play well with the UK media and they will ratchet up their negative coverage of them.

The only reason I see "them" coming back is if they cannot make a success of whatever they want to do with their lives. Returning would mean they would have to admit that they cannot make it outside the Royal institution and the media would never let them forget that.

One think has always been true about the media: they love nothing more than to build people up and then tear them down. And most of these people have not angered the media by hurling accusations at them.

I got the feeling she had agreed to do photos for one photographer, in a sense getting a pro to help populate her Instagram. The composition and timing are interesting (as are the reaction comments).

Y'know, through all of this (and quite a few cold ones tailgating), I really was hoping that the negatives surrounding Harry and Meghan (especially Meghan) were all fabricated and somehow, what they were attempting to do was to enhance their philanthropy and their sense of dedication to not only Crown and Country but to serve people that needed it.

My last hope on that dissipated as the verdict was announced that they would be totally divorced from *anything* royal and striking out on their own in commercial endeavors to finance themselves. To me, this totally removed them from the royal sphere and thrust them into the "celebrity" sphere. Fitting would be to say their royal fishbowl has been dumped into a shark infested ocean.

Being royal, having a royal rota constantly following them, being a representative of one of the most beloved monarch of the age, the constant protection afforded them and the glitz and glamor that the words "prince" "princess" "duke and duchess" with a "fairy tale" wedding all hinged specifically on the roles in life they were to be a part of. It didn't work for them and they ended up with a totally different MO than what they thought they were going to have.

After everything surrounding the "breaking news" dies down, I believe the general global public will care about "Meghan spotted" photos as much as I click on the links today for "Lady Kitty spotted". It loses appeal. It loses interest for a lot of people and it basically just fills up space in a tabloid or an online website. They have to have something.

There's been talks of Harry and Meghan starting a production company and rumored to be working with Netflix. Just looking at figures, the total cost to produce the entire series of the Crown will run somewhere between $390 million and $780 million. I just don't see it happening with a newly created production company started by "former" royals where one happens to have been a successful actress in a popular cable show. They, first off, would have to have a bundle of capital to invest in a product to start with and without having any kind of "royal" influence, it's not going to be overly easy for someone to want to "invest" or contract to act. Big names earn the big green dollars.

They're going to have to find and pay for a home, possibly pay for security, set up an office with paid staff and pay for travel. I think the most important part though is that as a royal couple, people courted them. As Harry and Meghan Sussex in business for themselves, they'll be the ones doing the courting. We'll see how that goes.

I don't expect to see "Its A Royal Knockout: The Sequel" either although the original was amusing and good for a few laughs. :D

The terms might well have been better had he kept his mouth shut. Leak or no leak- he made it a public issue, forcing them to end this PR nightmare fast, and making it sound like there was an agreement when there was clearly none.

Even the initial announcement wasn’t right. Forget the website. He said they were stepping back as senior royals. Nope- turns out they’re done.

This simply was not thought out at all. Period. And here are the consequences of both what they wanted and how they went about it.

Very sad and unfortunate.

If Harry and Meghan had not been so unyielding, they might - might - have gotten better terms (maybe a modified schedule). Instead, despite all attempts by the Queen, William and Charles to persuade them to stay, they had no interest in doing so. As a result, with the Sussexes being unwilling to commit at all to being working Royals, they got none of the perks they wanted. They wanted the easy, fun parts of being Royal with none of the difficult, responsibilities of same, and that was simply untenable. Not only wouldn’t it have worked practically, it would have been unfair to all the other Royals who had and were continuing to sacrifice.

Y'know, through all of this (and quite a few cold ones tailgating), I really was hoping that the negatives surrounding Harry and Meghan (especially Meghan) were all fabricated and somehow, what they were attempting to do was to enhance their philanthropy and their sense of dedication to not only Crown and Country but to serve people that needed it.

My last hope on that dissipated as the verdict was announced that they would be totally divorced from *anything* royal and striking out on their own in commercial endeavors to finance themselves. To me, this totally removed them from the royal sphere and thrust them into the "celebrity" sphere. Fitting would be to say their royal fishbowl has been dumped into a shark infested ocean.

Being royal, having a royal rota constantly following them, being a representative of one of the most beloved monarch of the age, the constant protection afforded them and the glitz and glamor that the words "prince" "princess" "duke and duchess" with a "fairy tale" wedding all hinged specifically on the roles in life they were to be a part of. It didn't work for them and they ended up with a totally different MO than what they thought they were going to have.

After everything surrounding the "breaking news" dies down, I believe the general global public will care about "Meghan spotted" photos as much as I click on the links today for "Lady Kitty spotted". It loses appeal. It loses interest for a lot of people and it basically just fills up space in a tabloid or an online website. They have to have something.

There's been talks of Harry and Meghan starting a production company and rumored to be working with Netflix. Just looking at figures, the total cost to produce the entire series of the Crown will run somewhere between $390 million and $780 million. I just don't see it happening with a newly created production company started by "former" royals where one happens to have been a successful actress in a popular cable show. They, first off, would have to have a bundle of capital to invest in a product to start with and without having any kind of "royal" influence, it's not going to be overly easy for someone to want to "invest" or contract to act. Big names earn the big green dollars.

They're going to have to find and pay for a home, possibly pay for security, set up an office with paid staff and pay for travel. I think the most important part though is that as a royal couple, people courted them. As Harry and Meghan Sussex in business for themselves, they'll be the ones doing the courting. We'll see how that goes.

I don't expect to see "Its A Royal Knockout: The Sequel" either although the original was amusing and good for a few laughs. :D

Like father, like daughter in this case.

I’m sorry you’ve been disappointed - you’ve been so positive through this whole thing.

Harry and Meghan are now business people - with a side of philanthropy thrown in. Like you said, they no longer have the glitz and glamour that no longer comes with being Royal. Oh, maybe for awhile that aroma will linger, but after some time of striking deals, signing contracts and all the other dull things that go with being business people, that aroma will disappear and they simply won’t be as attractive or charismatic to the Royal loving public.

I also assume that while they may initially attract investors due to their names, ultimately they’re going to have to prove themselves before anyone commits to them

Because he wanted to have a half in and half out role, spending time making his own money and the queen's not going to allow that. If he had watned to retire to private life, and keep a few patronages, as a private individual that would be one thing. But they made no secret of the fact that they want to "make their own money" and use their "Brand" to do so. Other royals like Beatrice and Eugenie have jobs or live their own lives and are not working for the queen, THey each have charity interests that they pursue at times, but they are not royal workers and never have been....
I think making money from their brand while being a royal is the crux of the matter. If he wanted to be a helicopter pilot and she wanted a regular job, it would have been fine for them to do a few royal duties on the side.

I’m sorry you’ve been disappointed - you’ve been so positive through this whole thing.

I echo this wholeheartedly - Always so wise and level-headed, if ONLY the Sussexes had consulted you [and listened to what you've said] !

About the “left with no choice” part of his speech:
If Meghan issued Harry an ultimatum of choice “me or them. or I leave and take the child with me to Canada!...” than that is a disgusting thing to do to a person you claim to love! Ans for that alone he needs to divorce her, because it does not end with one ultimatum...

She knew Royal life and public and media scrutiny (as a public servant) were part of the package when she married Harry, if she doesn’t like it she can leave. But making him choose?! hack she wanted to be a public servant which is why she went to college for international relations, public oversight is part of that.
Either she is dumb (doubt it) or worse: a manipulative and abusive liar.

I ended relationships because the other party made a similar ultimatum about my cats.

Slight confusion

What’s confusing exactly? Henry has been stripped of his honorary military appointments and his role as Commonwealth Youth Ambassador.

They will keep their personal patronage’s such as Sentebale, Invictus and Smartworks.

Oh! Seems that my meaning was confusing to you, Lumutqueen.

To clarify for you, I posted the message ...because... the quote I found and included. ..clarified... the details and was the first I'd found listing the patronage roles retained and dropped.

Et Viola! i was no longer confused.

....but now you are seemingly confused about my intelligence. I shall try not to be offended and hope future interactions are more pleasing all around.

I'd had thought perhaps others might also be wondering as the deatils are not widely published. :flowers:

"Originally Posted by Cathy-PA USA 
This has been confusing me, the Buckingham Palace Press Rlease of January 18 stated that H + M will "maintain their personal patronages".

I'm now seeing this summary, per Emily Andrews (is she a good source?) published in Town & Country magazine:

"Harry will no longer be Captain General of Marines, Hon Air Commandant or Commodore-in-chief nor Youth Amabassdor. He & Meghan will keep Pres & VP of @queenscomtrust plus Sentebale, Invictus etc & M’s patronages she took on last year."

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/so...lth-new-roles/

Apologies if this is duplication."

I think making money from their brand while being a royal is the crux of the matter. If he wanted to be a helicopter pilot and she wanted a regular job, it would have been fine for them to do a few royal duties on the side.

they have enough money IMO to lead a quiet but private life. If they wanted to move abroad or in the UK and give up mainstream royal life, jut retain a few duties, I don't think people wuold mind. It would still leave the RF without one of their main workers but they would find a way around that. Charles would probably discreetly add to their income and they had enough to live without jobs, and could choose how they wanted to spend their time...but that's not wht they want. Perhaps they do still want to do philanthropy, but it seems that their main aim is to be free to make an income...

they have enough money IMO to lead a quiet but private life. If they wanted to move abroad or in the UK and give up mainstream royal life, jut retain a few duties, I don't think people wuold mind. It would still leave the RF without one of their main workers but they would find a way around that. Charles would probably discreetly add to their income and they had enough to live without jobs, and could choose how they wanted to spend their time...but that's not wht they want. Perhaps they do still want to do philanthropy, but it seems that their main aim is to be free to make an income...

I know where some people are sitting with *huge* smiles on their faces. The tax departments of the US, Canada and the UK. I hope they're financially stable enough to employ the best accountants when it comes to managing their assets and filing income tax returns because as "private citizens", they're in the same boat as the rest of us are.

Beatrice's wedding, which is supposedly going to be this year although the date hasn't been set yet, may be the first big "test". That's a family occasion, not a public or state occasion. I know she's not having a big do like Eugenie did, but to miss your first cousin's wedding would be a pretty big deal. I sincerely hope that they turn up for that.

I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt by reading it as not being plain money-grubbing, but wanting a) to avoid the less glamorous royal duties and b) to concentrate on "woke" stuff like lecturing people about how many children to have or to reduce the amount of flights they take (which really got on everyone's nerves), and knowing that they can't call the shots whilst they're being funded by the public or other members of the Royal Family. But we shall see.

That's true, about the British media particularly...I think that though it is possible that after a year or so, the interest in them "leading their new life" and (if they do it) schmoozing with the rich, will disappear and they wotn get that much attention unless they goof up. So they may get more privacy.. but I wonder if they'll then begin to miss the days when the press was after them. I don't know.. If they sincerely want to lead a private life, I think it is possible for them to do so and to do some charity work in a quiet way.. but is that what they want.

There’s a lot to this article, and I agree with all of it, but this section spoke to me. They didn’t give it enough time, they ran away, they likely didn’t speak to his father and Camilla....and possibly in this whole process has ruined Harry’s relationship with his father. We know he’s hurt Charles and everyone else with this decision. Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

He insisted the decision to 'step back' was not one he had made lightly. And using an Americanism he added: 'I know I haven't always gotten it right, but as far as this goes, there really was no other option.'

Really? Some might say that after less than two years as a working royal couple, Harry and Meghan had barely got started.

After all he stresses his commitment to duty and service. You can almost hear the anguish in his voice when he says at one point: 'We were here to serve.'

So why aren't they? And what went wrong in his mind that stopped them doing just that?

When royal couples in the past have struggled matrimonially or with the burden of their role, the Queen has always been a sympathetic ear.

But she also has the 'five-year test'. Don't do anything hasty, let's see how things work out over five years, is her measured response. In recent years both the Duchess of Cambridge and the Countess of Wessex have been challenged by searching public criticism and they have emerged as two of the most reliable and popular members of the Royal Family.

And what about Camilla, Harry's stepmother? No royal figure has taken more knocks in public life but she has been quietly transformed as Duchess of Cornwall performing a vital role as Prince Charles's consort.

Even Charles and Diana delayed their separation at her request to try to make the marriage work.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7909429/RICHARD-KAY-Queens-sake-Harry-start-think-acts.html

About the “left with no choice” part of his speech:
If Meghan issued Harry an ultimatum of choice “me or them. or I leave and take the child with me to Canada!...” than that is a disgusting thing to do to a person you claim to love! Ans for that alone he needs to divorce her, because it does not end with one ultimatum...

She knew Royal life and public and media scrutiny (as a public servant) were part of the package when she married Harry, if she doesn’t like it she can leave. But making him choose?! hack she wanted to be a public servant which is why she went to college for international relations, public oversight is part of that.
Either she is dumb (doubt it) or worse: a manipulative and abusive liar.

I ended relationships because the other party made a similar ultimatum about my cats.

I agree with you. The "we had no other choice" part of the speech was actually that Harry had no other choice or Meghan would have left the country with Archie. If you take this thought further, it actually aligns with the statement that this arrangement will be reevaluated within a year. Basically, the Queen is giving them a year of space to reevaluate their life together.

I think that’s taking the “had no choice” too literally. I’m sure Harry was implying that he was forced into this choice - by the media, by whatever issues he had as a working Royal, by his brother, his father...It’s incredibly passive-aggressive and absolves him of any responsibility ..

While we can all speculate on what Harry meant by "no choice", it's perhaps worth noting that he said this in his speech:
"I want you to hear the truth from me, as much as I can share"
There are details he can't tell us related to all this & maybe we'll never know. Didn't one of the RRs say they knew things they couldn't repeat "for legal reasons"?

He said, that they wanted work for the Queen, but without the public eye. That is, what didn't go.

He said, that they wanted work for the Queen, but without the public eye. That is, what didn't go.

Where did he say that? Do you mean this bit where he talks about public money?
"Our hope was to continue serving the Queen, the Commonwealth, and my military associations, but without public funding."

There’s a lot to this article, and I agree with all of it, but this section spoke to me. They didn’t give it enough time, they ran away, they likely didn’t speak to his father and Camilla....and possibly in this whole process has ruined Harry’s relationship with his father. We know he’s hurt Charles and everyone else with this decision. Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7909429/RICHARD-KAY-Queens-sake-Harry-start-think-acts.html

It's rather ironic to have the Daily Mail ask "what went wrong". Perhaps they should look in the mirror for once.

I think that’s taking the “had no choice” too literally. I’m sure Harry was implying that he was forced into this choice - by the media, by whatever issues he had as a working Royal, by his brother, his father...It’s incredibly passive-aggressive and absolves him of any responsibility ..

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree with you. I think the bottom line for Harry was to save his marriage which is completely understandable. Having said that, I think we are in agreement that they could have handled this situation much better and not put out a preemptive strike with that website. JMHO

Thought pulled out of left field in a galaxy far, far, away. How much of this "new path to forge" as far as their foundation was formed by listening to their PR manager they hired last March who is a) An American, b) a former senior adviser to Hilary Clinton and c) adviser to Hilary Clinton in her 2016 run for the presidency of the US? Is the Clinton Foundation a working model they used for the Sussex Royal Foundation?

Perhaps things may have turned out completely different if they had hired someone to advise them that knew and understood just how the monarchy and the "Firm" in the UK works? And also how the UK media works? And who also knew and could advise Harry and Meghan towards workable solutions to their problems without going all out "American capitalism"?

Just points I'm pondering here. Keeps the grey matter active. :D

^ Quite a bit I imagine.. the STELLAR success of the Clinton campaign is closely echoed by that of 'Sussex [ci-devant] Royal'...

“He might be putting a brave face on but I suspect Harry’s heartbroken. He’s a sensitive soul and he’s a sweetheart.

“He’s deeply loyal to Meghan and they’re excited about the new adventure ahead, but this may have come at a great personal cost with regards to his relationship with the Royals.”

To put an optimistic spin on things, many children live far apart from their parents and siblings, and they’re still close.....emotionally if not physically. Of course, this is complicated by the fact that Charles can’t just pop on over when he feels like it (I think William can). There’s no doubt that this is costing him with regards to his relationships - father, brother, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins....

For his sake, I hope it all works out, but I don’t want to see his autobiography on bookshelves...what a horror show that would be.

Where did he say that? Do you mean this bit where he talks about public money?
"Our hope was to continue serving the Queen, the Commonwealth, and my military associations, but without public funding."

Yes, I thought this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom