The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
People ripped them for the $2.4M. So they say they will pay it back and make their own money instead... and people still upset.

People ripped them for the $2.4M. So they say they will pay it back and make their own money instead... and people still upset.

It will be paid back by Charles....

We have some words from “the horses mouth”, so to speak.

Henry at a Sentebale event this evening.

Henry making it almost crystal clear in the speech that he has made the decision to step back.

He seems to be putting the blame on his family rather than taking any responsibility for their own actions in this drama. I would have more respect if he had just kept his mouth shut instead of playing the victim yet again.

There have been several “four generations” photos taken in the past few years- at George’s christening, for the stamp when George was around 2, and now with the one taken at Christmas. I think that it’s just media ridiculousness that Harry was upset about it. His family wasn’t even in the UK at the time the photo was released, and none of the other grandchildren or great-grandchildren were included so it wasn’t like Archie was being singled out by being excluded.
There have been the three that you mentioned, that is not several in my book. The generations photos that William and George have been part of in the past were christening photos and photos commemorating key birthdays/anniversaries, and yet this one was billed as welcoming the new decade. Now that I think about it, and knowing that the Sussex drama was playing out behind the scenes, I can actually see why this seemingly innocuous photo could have been interpreted as a circle the wagons / "here are the ones that matter" move by Harry.

I don't want to appear that I stridently believe that Harry had a negative reaction to the photo, as I mentioned previously, like many others I immediately dismissed the story and wondered how something so absurd even made it to print. However Harry having a reaction was mentioned in at least a couple of serious articles/analysis pieces which prompted me to start rethinking it and if it later comes out that this was true, I won't be shocked.

It will be paid back by Charles....

Maybe, maybe not. Point still remains. People didn’t want to spend that money on them. They say “Ffine. Here it’s is back!” and people upset about that too? Strange. Whiplash.

He seems to be putting the blame on his family rather than taking any responsibility for their own actions in this drama. I would have more respect if he had just kept his mouth shut instead of playing the victim yet again.

Seems like he was just honest. They told him to pick. He did. People can feel however they want to feel about that but he flat out said in the end it was his choice. The family didn’t force him. He decided. No victims in this, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry but I really hate how Harry uses his dead mother to gain sympathy whenever he's in 'trouble'. He isn't the only person to have lost a parent when young. Yes, it was tragic, but it cheapens her legacy to 'wheel' her out so to speak in this way.

I completely understand his desire to retreat from the glare of the media and I would be fully 'on his side' if his actions lined up with his words....but they don't. IF it is the media attention that is the driving factor of this decision, why on earth is his new job to basically become a celebrity? He's choosing to stay in the public eye... If he announced his decision to step back to go and work at the head office of a charity I would find his claims much more sincere and believable

The people determined to find fault will find it no matter what. The Sussexes won't be able to do anything to please them...even if it causes them to contradict themselves.

LaRae

Harry said he made the final decision. He confirmed they wanted to serve but without taking public money. He was denied. Likely was told you either full time royal or not one at all. He made his choice.

They just don’t get what the problem was with that! The part time thing-heck, a lot of us here could see the problem.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I really hate how Harry uses his dead mother to gain sympathy whenever he's in 'trouble'. He isn't the only person to have lost a parent when young. Yes, it was tragic, but it cheapens her legacy to 'wheel' her out so to speak in this way.

I completely understand his desire to retreat from the glare of the media and I would be fully 'on his side' if his actions lined up with his words....but they don't. IF it is the media attention that is the driving factor of this decision, why on earth is his new job to basically become a celebrity? He's choosing to stay in the public eye... If he announced his decision to step back to go and work at the head office of a charity I would find his claims much more sincere and believable

Where has he said he intends to become a celebrity? He just said publically he intends to continue a life of service.

Why don't you just give him a chance to do something before you come down on him and make these sorts of baseless claims.

LaRae

According to one (probably unreliable) source, Meghan is apparently still interested in British citizenship. In that case she better come back to Britain within a few weeks (given that they also spent some time abroad over the summer - and not counting their official visits) or the count will start again.

To be honest I hope we can now have a few weeks without hearing so much about the Sussexes, I hope they go to Canada and as talks about the finer details will still be ongoing they keep a low profile.

I'd be amazed (but delighted) if W&H have truly made up if the feud is as bad as reported, or is this a way to cover up the fact its been rubbish all along? Maybe now H&M will be out the country all parties feel its easier to appear friendly with the benefit of thousands of miles between them meaning they are unlikely to have to see each other very often.

I just hope this is the first and last speech Harry makes on the issue and he's not going to trout out the same message each time keeping the story going. Decision made, deal done, speech made now zip it for a bit.

I can't see how Meghan can still get British citizenship if they are going to spend significant time in Canada and possibly USA. The numbers just don't add up.

Harry said he made the final decision. He confirmed they wanted to serve but without taking public money. He was denied. Likely was told you either full time royal or not one at all. He made his choice.

How nice of him to give up 5 % of his funding while wanting to keep everything else . He really doesn't get it , does he ?.

According to one (probably unreliable) source, Meghan is apparently still interested in British citizenship. In that case she better come back to Britain within a few weeks (given that they also spent some time abroad over the summer - and not counting their official visits) or the count will start again.

Don’t you have to spend something like 9 months out of the year in the UK to qualify? From what it sounds like, they won’t be spending nearly that much time there, even though they claim that they will split their time between the UK and North America.

I’m very curious where they will end up settling. None of them is a Canadian citizen, but it sounds like that’s where they want to be. The US is always an option since both Meghan and Archie are US citizens.

Yes he would know the history but that does not mean that Harry agreed with the practice and could have considered it an anachronism. I may be wrong about this but when I was rethinking my initial dismissal of Harry not being pleased about the four generations photo, the thought occurred to me that there were no generations pictures taken when Diana was alive. Again I am not 100% sure but I have done a couple google image searches, and other one from William's christening photo which of course Harry did not exist for, I have not come across a generations photos released during Diana's lifetime.

Not before Diana’s death but in a very quick Google search I found a formal photo from 2000 of the Queen Mother, the Queen, Charles & William and from 2003, a formal photo of the Queen, Charles and William.

If the generational photo of the Queen and her three next heirs was an issue for Harry, then he is an idiot.

The real question in all this is who is Dan Wooton's deep throat??!! :hmm:

So many exclusives. Personally I don’t believe it. In all his many many MANY stories, only like one has been close. It was Canada. Others actually went as far as been retracted. So right now I think he just building off the Canada scoop with other nonsense.

To be honest I hope we can now have a few weeks without hearing so much about the Sussexes, I hope they go to Canada and as talks about the finer details will still be ongoing they keep a low profile.

I'd be amazed (but delighted) if W&H have truly made up if the feud is as bad as reported, or is this a way to cover up the fact its been rubbish all along? Maybe now H&M will be out the country all parties feel its easier to appear friendly with the benefit of thousands of miles between them meaning they are unlikely to have to see each other very often.

I just hope this is the first and last speech Harry makes on the issue and he's not going to trout out the same message each time keeping the story going. Decision made, deal done, speech made now zip it for a bit.

I can't see how Meghan can still get British citizenship if they are going to spend significant time in Canada and possibly USA. The numbers just don't add up.

The brothers came with a shared statement about a week ago; so that could be an indication that relations are indeed improving.

That is odd . It is exactly the opposite of what we were hearing, i.e. that Harry was distancing himself from William and getting closer to Charles .
That is not what we've been hearing in the past few weeks. Harry was seen as the one closer to Charles vis a vis William, but I never thought that adult Harry had a strong bond with Charles. There were reports that Meghan influenced Harry to be closer to Charles, which I can buy into. It seems like whatever closeness that they had has fallen by the wayside. As I mentioned previously, Harry was reportedly not happy that his father sided with the Queen when it came to getting his own court. It seems like the Queen can do no wrong in Harry's eyes, even when she does something that he does not like, but Charles, William and others do not enjoy the same privilege.

Where has he said he intends to become a celebrity? He just said publically he intends to continue a life of service.

Why don't you just give him a chance to do something before you come down on him and make these sorts of baseless claims.

LaRae

That’s what some people said 11 days ago....

We’ll see- I hope I am happily surprised.

It's nice to hear Harry talking tonight about how he loves the UK and acknowledges all the affection and support that he's had over the years.

It’s nice, but I wouldn’t have expected anything less honestly. I’m sure it was sincere. It was also good PR, which he needs.

Don’t you have to spend something like 9 months out of the year in the UK to qualify? From what it sounds like, they won’t be spending nearly that much time there, even though they claim that they will split their time between the UK and North America.

I’m very curious where they will end up settling. None of them is a Canadian citizen, but it sounds like that’s where they want to be. The US is always an option since both Meghan and Archie are US citizens.
Exactly, and not for one year but for 3 years in a row. So, unless their home base is the UK and they only spend a few months in North America (or anywhere else) it is not feasible.

I also wonder what will happen to Meghan's British immigration status if she no longer lives in the UK and is no longer a working member of the royal family. On what basis would she be allowed to stay in the UK (is being married to a Brit sufficient?) and if so, under which conditions.

It’s nice, but I wouldn’t have expected anything less honestly. I’m sure it was sincere. It was also good PR, which he needs.

He was speaking to his Sentebale family. I’m not surprised they were who he opened up too. He also very smart knowing every press will it. This with Sentebale attached. He was able to tell his POV while giving a lot of attention to a cause he loves. Clever.

That is not what we've been hearing in the past few weeks. Harry was seen as the one closer to Charles vis a vis William, but I never thought that adult Harry had a strong bond with Charles. There were reports that Meghan influenced Harry to be closer to Charles, which I can buy into. It seems like whatever closeness that they had has fallen by the wayside. As I mentioned previously, Harry was reportedly not happy that his father sided with the Queen when it came to getting his own court. It seems like the Queen can do no wrong in Harry's eyes, even when she does something that he does not like, but Charles, William and others do not enjoy the same privilege.

Exactly. Here is Camilla Tominey's Spectator article..

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2020/01...yal-conflict-is-between-charles-and-his-sons/

I DO disagree that Harry and Charles weren't close, though - with help, apparently from Meghan. It appears that Charles' relationship with his sons goes through ups and downs - and yes, believe that they don't always respect him. Anyway, I think once he walked Meghan down the aisle, things changed - we've heard him refer to "pa" more than once.

The problem does apparently stem from that "Windsor court" issue......why there is such a lack of trust with Charles and Camilla, I don't know. It's been reported that Harry has felt pushed out. All I know is that it's really incredibly sad. I don't like seeing these up and downs - I wish that Charles and his boys could be close. I HOPE that Charles and Harry somehow manage to heal their rift.

Harry is upset with Charles, but wants him to fund their lifestyle?

That bothers me also.

That’s what some people said 11 days ago....

We’ll see- I hope I am happily surprised.

Even if the worst happens and we see him hawking milk what difference will it make? They have given up the government funds, they aren't going to use their HRH. Can't have it both ways, they weren't allowed to do a hybrid type of structure...so if you cut them loose then can't say too much about what they do to stay funded.

LaRae

I’m honestly surprised that Harry and Meghan thought they could be half in and half out.

Harry is upset with Charles, but wants him to fund their lifestyle?

Good point-He's angry with his father for saying no to what they wanted, like a rival court, but he needs dad’s money to live in the style to which he is accustomed.

Oh, and if it's "now or never" for Harry and William because Harry is moving away, how is it "now or never" for he and his father?

So many exclusives. Personally I don’t believe it. In all his many many MANY stories, only like one has been close. It was Canada. Others actually went as far as been retracted. So right now I think he just building off the Canada scoop with other nonsense.
I remember him having to retract one of his stories (was it the car park story?), but I think that his overall hit ratio is pretty decent. When he broke the story about the tiara which got the ball rolling on the negative Meghan stories, he was over-the-top with his negative view of Meghan and my take away is that you have to read his stuff with a critical eye, but I for one think that he has good sources. Bear in mind that a top-notch source may feed false information in order to further their own agenda.

Not before Diana’s death but in a very quick Google search I found a formal photo from 2000 of the Queen Mother, the Queen, Charles & William and from 2003, a formal photo of the Queen, Charles and William.

If the generational photo of the Queen and her three next heirs was an issue for Harry, then he is an idiot.
Yep I came across the same photos in my Google search. My original comment was that, other than William's christening photos, that no generational photos were released in Diana's lifetime, and apparently your search seems to confirm my search. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom