The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's one positive I can see from this, whether one views this mess as a lasting betrayal or just a blip. Those that have stayed dutiful to the Crown will likely band closer together. Between Charles, William, Anne and Edward the bonds of trust will be fortified. Despite different personalities the remianing royals all have a common goal.

Hopefully this does indeed bring everyone closer together. They do have a common goal. And losing 3 senior royals suddenly will be felt by all of them.

Given that Harry has already pulled off several big feats or "worthwhile" things with his work (IG, Endeavor Fund, etc), I think he will be perfectly fine doing big things going forward. Same with Meghan.

True. As I’ve said, he’s done a lot of good.

We’ll see how this goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I do believe that it's true that Charles and Edward aren't particularly close, I truly don't believe there's any bad blood between them. Simply a 16 year age difference and that makes it rather unlikely that they'll ever have been particularly close. I do recall seeing some lovely, if rare, photos of them together over the years and they do appear to rather enjoy each other's company on those rare occasions when they're together. So, I agree, it would be very nice indeed to see an increase in the reliance on the Wessexes. Now, we do know that William and Kate tend to get on very well with Edward and Sophie, particularly it seems that Kate and Sophie are very friendly and Kate also seems quite friendly with Louise, which I think it lovely. And, if any of the stories in the press are to be believed, Louise is said to be brilliant with George, Charlotte, and Louis so it's easy for me to believe that there might well be some increase in duties for Edward and Sophie along with, I hope, an increase in family relations as well.

And, since I've been away all evening, my goodness there's been a lot to read. I truly believe that the decision not to remove the HRHs is down to the RF believing there is a very real possibility of Harry returning to the family within a relatively short amount of time. I think it's quite clear that Meghan is done. I'd be very surprised if we ever really see anything of Archie. I doubt very much that we'll see any of them at Trooping, Sandringham, Ascot, or any of the other fun family moments for as long as the marriage lasts. And, while I do believe that that was the most significant reason for not removing the HRHs, I also wonder if they were left as a way for the family to still have a bargaining chip. Should their commercial ventures prove too controversial or damaging they'll be stripped and frankly, I believe that Parliament would go so far as to strip the titles, too, if they prove to be an embarrassment. I have to say that I'm a bit shocked that Harry was stripped of his military titles. I truly feel very, very sorry for the Duke of Edinburgh. I can imagine just how let down and hurt he must be by all of this but that title that we know meant so much to him and that I very much suspect he personally chose Harry for...how terribly sad.

Oh yeah, of course - I didn’t mean to imply there was any bad blood at all between Charles and Edward, none at all. That’s why I mentioned the age gap - it’s enormous. It doesn’t mean they don’t get on or that they don’t love each other, but Charles was in his 30s when Edward was 16 ..think about that. How often was the older brother home to even hang out with his kid brother ? Probably also there was some jealousy since the younger boys got the parental affection Charles felt he lacked, but that’s long in the past. I’m not that familiar with Edward’s family - Louise is he and Sophie’s eldest? That’s all lovely to hear, it really is.

Hmm, I don’t know. I’ve no doubt that the BRF will always hold out hope that Harry will return, but even if - and I really don’t want to speculate - the marriage ends, who’s to say he wouldn’t stay wherever he would be at that time? It depends on how he’s grown since this upheaval, whether he truly wants to be a full time working royal with all that entails. Then again, maybe he’ll just return home, just to be with his family. That’s in the future, if at all, but I think that’s what this year end review is about...at least in part.

I hope you’re wrong about Harry not attending any of these events - he’s still beloved member of the family. If he doesn’t appear, that really is a rejection of them personally, not just the monarchy.

Meghan and Harry will seemingly pursue high-profile charity roles that chime with their shared interests. I hope that they are mindful of how demanding celebrity patrons can cut into the net profit of events by luxurious demands - private jets, lunch for a giant entourage, hairdressers and scented candles. They should strive to be low-maintenance, especially in light of a Royal review of their situation a year from now.

I completely disagree. Native Californian here and I can say without any doubt that The BRF and Prince Harry is absolutely news worthy. There is no way they will be left alone by the media and tabloid press particularly since they are extremely high profile Royals from the most famous Royal family in the world. They will not be able to step outside their door without cameras and cell phones catching everything they do. It will be worse than the British press because there will be no barrier to protect them. Harry is in for a rude awakening if that is their goal.

I didn't say they weren't newsworthy. I'm just saying I don't see much about them on the news.

It depends on where, in California, they live. There's a reason the Kardashians are behind walls in Calabasas. Frankly, we really don't see paparazzi in Malibu the way we used to. They do need a house with a long driveway, and a gate. Montecito would work quite nicely.

Or get a security consult from someone like Brad Pitt or Angelina Jolie. Oprah. George Clooney.

I'm a California Native as well.

Okay...so will they be able to keep their domain name (sussexroyal.com)??

It's a huge loss for the British Royal Family.
Harry and Meghan were engaging, fun and very serious about making a difference.
The general public develops a sense of endearment towards it's royals and a trust that loyalty is reciprocated with the Queen and family batting in the best interests of the people regardless of which party is in government.
Though warmth will return and the damage will heal, I feel that being King might be more lonely than it should be for those who are left.

Harry and Meghan will strive to do meaningful work.

I'm surprised about the loss of Harry's military roles.
I'm surprised that, given that Harry is still in the line of succession, he doesn't have to live at least 50% in Britain and to familiarize his son with his homeland.

Well, this has been fascinating. I'm not sure quite what I expected, but some of the "agreement"--and I use the term loosely since I'm not sure how much choice Harry and Meghan had--was a surprise. The retention of the HRH, but the restriction on using it was a very elegant solution to a thorny problem. I was not expecting Harry to lose his military appointments. The repayment of the renovation money for FC was not a surprise, and neither really was the stepping back from royal duties, since anything else seemed unworkable.

Things I still want to know:

How commercial are Harry and Meghan planning to get, and how embarrassing for the British monarchy is that likely to be?

Will the name of the Sussex Royal foundation have to change?

Where are they going to live (North America covers a lot of ground)?

If they stay in Canada, does that mean they will be jumping the immigration queue or otherwise having the rules bent for them?

Who is going to be paying for their security?

How long is Charles going to be footing the bill for their so-called financial independence?

Are we going to be seeing tell-all interviews or is there an agreement that they will be discreet? If so, does that mean Meghan can no longer have her friends spilling the beans?

Are they going to be showing up for things like Trooping, etc.--in other words, the fun stuff--or are they completely out?

You are right, there are still a number of unanswered questions.
I would have thought if they wish to be financially independent then they would eventually give up the money from Charles. Also pay for their own security.
That could be why the situation is to be reviewed in a years time.
They have made it clear it is a transition period, so possibly there will be additional changes at that time.

I do not think they will appear at any royal events other than family (personal) occasions.

By that I mean weddings and funerals, I do not think they will appear at Trooping of the colour etc. or at least not in the forseable future.
It is interesting that they wish to retain Frogmore, if I am being honest I did not expect them to do that as I never expect to see Meghan here again. I could be wrong, but surely they should be paying rent for the cottage. Once again the devil is in the detail and more may still come out.

As far as making money goes, no-one would mind, and I think people would actually respect them for it, if they got jobs, like Beatrice and Eugenie have done, and some of the Dutch royal family. What people aren't keen on is the idea of them being professional celebrities. But that's what's going to happen. I suppose Meghan could go back to acting, but Harry isn't trained for anything other than being in the Army. I suppose he could go for something like William's air ambulance job, but I very much doubt it.

The Royals have so much scope to do good. I wasn't a fan of Diana, but that photo of her shaking hands with people with AIDS did so much to change attitudes for the better. Even Eugenie's choice of wedding dress helped raise awareness of scoliosis. LGBT groups have praised William for saying that he'd be absolutely fine with one of his children being gay, and William, Kate and Harry have all helped decrease the stigma around mental health problems. The Duke of Edinburgh's award scheme has been a big thing in school for years, and the Prince's Trust has helped a lot of people. Princess Anne's done so much work with Save The Children. Harry and Meghan had so much power to do good.

Last edited:
Meghan cannot return to acting now that she is a Royal Duchess. If they relinquished titles, HRH status and became basically private citizens that would be another matter, but with her current status...no.

Well well well looks like she can return to acting and probably will take on a few select roles.

As far as making money goes, no-one would mind, and I think people would actually respect them for it, if they got jobs, like Beatrice and Eugenie have done, and some of the Dutch royal family. What people aren't keen on is the idea of them being professional celebrities. But that's what's going to happen. I suppose Meghan could go back to acting, but Harry isn't trained for anything other than being in the Army. I suppose he could go for something like William's air ambulance job, but I very much doubt it.

The Royals have so much scope to do good. I wasn't a fan of Diana, but that photo of her shaking hands with people with AIDS did so much to change attitudes for the better. Even Eugenie's choice of wedding dress helped raise awareness of scoliosis. LGBT groups have praised William for saying that he'd be absolutely fine with one of his children being gay, and William, Kate and Harry have all helped decrease the stigma around mental health problems. The Duke of Edinburgh's award scheme has been a big thing in school for years, and the Prince's Trust has helped a lot of people. Princess Anne's done so much work with Save The Children. Harry and Meghan had so much power to do good.

But that is what Meghan was before the short royal stint in her life she was a celebrity it was part of her job I cant see how anyone would complain about her returning to a job she did previously and knows well.

If you go to the page, it actually does link to the official statement. The hyperlink didn't copy when I copied the text.

This whole website will need to be changed, which takes time. At this point, I'm not sure that they will be able to keep calling Sussex Royal.

I agree , and this post for me has once again (like many others have mentioned earlier in this thread (181 pages, wow)) that the fact that now only a short statement is posted with an announcement that their website will be updated, shows how much had gone into that website before when they dropped their bomb...
That original website wasn't some sunday-afternoon activity, they spend loads of time on that...

Some other thoughts:
- P.Philip: I don't see him as a very emotional man in terms of "sad" or "devastated", but I wouldn't be surprised if he indeed were "livid" (same as P.Anne, for that matter)
- a parallel I see between the dukes of York and Sussex is that apart from actions they did that were wrong and/or stupid; both dug their own grave with a "candid" interview in which they, among other flaws, came across as entitled and out of touch with their situation.

https://books.google.nl/books?id=te...ueen mary told elizabeth to be humble&f=false

People putting all the blame on her when we still don't really know that much. We don't know what happened behind closed doors and it might well be that in a number of years, we find out things weren't what we thought they are.

With the amount of vitriol she had to deal with, I would have left as well. And I'm happy HM acknowledged this in her statement. Royal family be damned, they've survived much worse than this. People are projecting their own feelings on HM, prince Philip and Prince Charles.

It's about time the Royal Family dealt with the gossip media in the UK. The old mantra doesn't work anymore.

(...)Things I still want to know:

How commercial are Harry and Meghan planning to get, and how embarrassing for the British monarchy is that likely to be?
(...)
This is the moment where I worry the most - I'm pretty sure they'll be aiming high, so probably they won't be advertising laundry detergent, but the possibilities are endless. It doesn't mean anything that they lost the right to use HRH and are not working royals, the whole world knows very well who they are and all that jazz about Harry's family.

Though tbh, the current situation with the voiceover is embarassing enough - especially since they were working royals at the time. So imagine that, only less covert.

I agree with this. People putting all the blame on her when we still don't really know that much. We don't know what happened behind closed doors and it might well be that in a number of years, we find out things weren't what we thought they are.

With the amount of vitriol she had to deal with, I would have left as well. And I'm happy HM acknowledged this in her statement. Royal family be damned, they've survived much worse than this. People are projecting their own feelings on HM, prince Philip and Prince Charles.

It's about time the Royal Family dealt with the gossip media in the UK. The old mantra doesn't work anymore.
You do realize that most of the people are disappointed not because they're living, but how they decided to do it, right? Publishing their website online, when HMQ asked them to keep quiet for a while. That website, of course, full of wishes that had not been agreed upon at the time, hinting that hey will be part-time royals and they will be collaborating with the Queen. And I'm not even starting on using that word, which was disrespectful not only to the monarchy as an institution, but also to HMQ personally.
Sure, there are people who are disappointed that they're leaving - and tbh, I can see where they're coming from. They got the engagement interview where they were talking about working for The Firm, how great Meghan will be at the work aspect, how excited they're to start. They saw the lawish, beautiful and very public wedding. Everything, the Frogmore Cottage, showing little Archie in Windsor Castle, was done with a thought that they will be working royals - for a really long time - in mind. I don't agree with being disappointed they want to leave, but I can see where people are coming from.

Please remember that most people in the UK don't see BRF as celebrities, don't see being royal as a perk, but as a duty, to the crown and the country - and Harry and Meghan had one of the greatest examples of duty in the Queen and Prince Philip. Maybe that's why it's hard to communicate.

As much as I hate to say it, I think actually the fact that they, as a couple, only lasted 18 months working for the royal "Firm" is going to be a bit of a drawback for both Harry and Meghan in commercial dealings. If they're thinking that their "royalness" and popularity attained through their work with the "Firm" is going to be a draw, they perhaps should think again.

After all that has gone down recently, I would imagine the general consensus is that they tried and failed at what they were doing. They both were seen as people with a good sense of altruism that sincerely wanted to help people out of the goodness of their hearts and now they're going "commercial" and wanting to make money for themselves doing it. That's going to close a lot of pockets right there and then.

I don't believe that they're going to be successful as they think they will be going forward but then again, they just might ace it. We'll see what happens.

One thing I can predict as a sure as the sun rises in the east each morning, the gutter press is going to be worse than before. What they've experienced in the UK with the Daily Mail and all is going to be seen as praise compared to what they'll face now. They're on their own and no wall of protection from "palaces" as a buffer.

So, to quote Douglas Adams in "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy", So long and thanks for all the fish!

You do realize that most of the people are disappointed not because they're living, but how they decided to do it, right? Publishing their website online, when HMQ asked them to keep quiet for a while. That website, of course, full of wishes that had not been agreed upon at the time, hinting that hey will be part-time royals and they will be collaborating with the Queen. And I'm not even starting on using that word, which was disrespectful not only to the monarchy as an institution, but also to HMQ personally.
Sure, there are people who are disappointed that they're leaving - and tbh, I can see where they're coming from. They got the engagement interview where they were talking about working for The Firm, how great Meghan will be at the work aspect, how excited they're to start. They saw the lawish, beautiful and very public wedding. Everything, the Frogmore Cottage, showing little Archie in Windsor Castle, was done with a thought that they will be working royals - for a really long time - in mind. I don't agree with being disappointed they want to leave, but I can see where people are coming from.

Please remember that most people in the UK don't see BRF as celebrities, don't see being royal as a perk, but as a duty, to the crown and the country - and Harry and Meghan had one of the greatest examples of duty in the Queen and Prince Philip. Maybe that's why it's hard to communicate.

I wasn't happy with that either, but we don't really know WHY they released it early. Perhaps they were speaking to Prince Charles for months and felt like they got nowhere, perhaps they felt like no one really listened. And yes, no matter how childish this may seem, sometimes what people need is for someone to (publicly) stand up for them. Perhaps they felt like the family underestimated the effect of the bullying by the media and social media. We don't know.

Camilla Tominey is on the Andrew Marr show this morning. She suggests the Queen made the call regarding Harry’s military appointments as information had came through from some of the regiments suggesting they were “disappointed and disgusted” by his attitude for “Queen and country” and so would refuse to raise a glass to him as their honorary colonel etc at events.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Harry seems to never forgotten all this in his haste to label everything about the monarchy and BRF as toxic. Meghan never cared to know.

'Sussex Ducal' really doesn't 'have the same ring'. and would baffle millions of their [hoped for] 'customers'..

Camilla Tominey is on the Andrew Marr show this morning. She suggests the Queen made the call regarding Harry’s military appointments as information had came through from some of the regiments suggesting they were “disappointed and disgusted” by his attitude for “Queen and country” and so would refuse to raise a glass to him at events.

Wow....of course you only ever here from those in the military who love Harry, lol

Did she say anything about Charles and the article she wrote on his relationship with his sons?

This Yoko Ono'ing Meghan for this decision. Harry is on the record for not being comfortable in royal life long before meeting Meghan. The media vitriol was and still is there; the Guardian did research and found 72% of stories about Meghan were negative. Add in the betrayal of Meghan's family (Markle just gave an interview saying the Sussexes are turning the BRF into a Walmart with a crown) and the trolls and no outward support from the BRF until the queen's statement and the Sussexes are suppose to endure this for queen and country? If Harry were future king and not William I may get the disappointment, but even that is still too much. I think some people are hoping for a divorce and Harry comes back with his tail between his legs and suffer in silence. Harry chose his wife and son over this mess, a mess triggered by a leak to the Sun. There are still things needing to be worked out and I wish the Sussexes well.

Oh as for Markle -.he's mad that his fantasy of life long financial support from Meghan and the royal coffers has imploded. (I don't get why he is talking to DM as he could be called in to testify in the lawsuit; what he says could be used at trial. )

Last edited:
Wow....of course you only ever here from those in the military who love Harry, lol

Did she say anything about Charles and the article she wrote on his relationship with his sons?

Not in the segment I saw, I only saw the last few minutes of her appearance.

She also said that there are no real winners in this situation and that the royal family will feel Harry’s loss in terms of carrying out duties.

the regiments suggesting they were “disappointed and disgusted” by his attitude for “Queen and country” and so would refuse to raise a glass to him as their honorary colonel etc at events.

This chimes with the views of my Military chums [mostly from 'Guards' regiments]. They were incensed by the mess resulting from last weeks 'leak', and 99% of the affection they felt for Sussex, evaporated overnight..

He simply no longer represents them..and they are more angry than saddened..

Not in the segment I saw, I only saw the last few minutes of her appearance.

She also said that there are no real winners in this situation and that the royal family will feel Harry’s loss in terms of carrying out duties.

Thanks ! I agree with her about there being no real winners. Technically, I think the BRF came out ahead, but they are losing Harry and Archie... and yes, losing two working Royals. Clearly he and Meghan didn’t get exactly what they wanted..

Two tweets from Dan Wooten - who apparently also is no fan of Meghan.

Royal commentators are missing the point - Meghan is DELIGHTED with this result. She’s got exactly what she wants: the ability to make millions and millions without royal oversight, to spend as much time as she wants in Hollywood and to avoid any duty in the UK. Their plan is go!

I’m sure this is true....She also got Harry away from his family

Now, this headline is awesome, lol. That’s one thing the NY Post is good at, lol

This chimes with the views of my Military chums [mostly from 'Guards' regiments]. They were incensed by the mess resulting from last weeks 'leak', and 99% of the affection they felt for Sussex, evaporated overnight..

He simply no longer represents them..and they are more angry than saddened..

I’m not shocked given that they are fighting on the Queen’s behalf, and they love her, like everyone does

Thanks ! I agree with her about there being no real winners. Technically, I think the BRF came out ahead, but they are losing Harry and Archie... and yes, losing two working Royals. Clearly he and Meghan didn’t get exactly what they wanted..

The more I think about it, the more I come to realize that the aim of remaining "part time" royals just wasn't going to wash in any way, shape or form. As I was seriously hoping that the aim of the Sussexes "financially independent" part was solely aimed towards their foundation and finding out as *fact* that it is otherwise so, it became an either/or situation. You work for the "Firm" or you don't. Period.

I just can't see the Queen or anyone else involved with the family "Firm" brand agreeing to half measures. If they had done so, what would have seemed to be obvious is that with the Sussexes setting up their own "business" and commercial ventures, they would be using their royal status and their work for the "Firm" such as tours would be seen as a free promotional gig for their own brand and be a global platform to advance their own business rather than be seen as serving Crown and Country.

This would happen with *anything* Harry and Meghan were attached to. The question would be are they representing their regiment (for example) or using said regiment to be in the spotlight to promote something to do with their own "brand".

The free ride and the free platform is gone as it should be. Promotion and advertising doesn't come cheap these days and like any other business, Harry and Meghan will have to foot the bill to do so.

BTW: "The Great British Break Off" headline really made me chuckle. :D

Okay...so will they be able to keep their domain name (sussexroyal.com)??

We presume not.

1. What legal status is Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, a PRIVATE CITIZEN living in Canada under? Has fanboy Trudeau queue-jumped the immigration system for them?

Presumably right now, she has a visitors visa. However nothing like that is going to be confirmed.

2. Who is going to be paying for the security of these PRIVATE CITIZENS. The Canadian taxpayer better not be stuck with the bill.

Whether Canada chooses to pay their bill or not is a matter for Canada and it’s parliamentary system. Their security when they are in the U.K. will come from the Met Office presumably.

3. What assets does Charles have that do not come from the Duchy of Cornwall. All his personal savings and investments come from the money he made from the Duchy.

His inheritance from his grandparents for a start.

Camilla Tominey is on the Andrew Marr show this morning. She suggests the Queen made the call regarding Harry’s military appointments as information had came through from some of the regiments suggesting they were “disappointed and disgusted” by his attitude for “Queen and country” and so would refuse to raise a glass to him as their honorary colonel etc at events.

This is the saddest part, I really don’t think Henry thought this through.

Something else I wonder: what is the point of this “transition period”? It’s pretty short.

What value add is there really? Are there engagements they had scheduled already? Is it for their staff? Something else??

It’s enough time to get anything scheduled done, and to sort out the security situation.

Things I still want to know:

The statement suggested that they will uphold the values of Her Majesty, Henry still has a lot of respect for his grandmother and family so I don’t think we’re going to see anything OTT. However initially we were told there would be no checks and balances on them, a story is running today which says the opposite and there will be some oversight.

Will the name of the Sussex Royal foundation have to change?

Presumably, yes.

Where are they going to live (North America covers a lot of ground)?

Canada has always been the key country, America doesn’t offer them enough privacy.

If they stay in Canada, does that mean they will be jumping the immigration queue or otherwise having the rules bent for them?

That we don’t know, and I don’t think we will ever know.

Who is going to be paying for their security?

Hasn’t been decided or announced, in the U.K. they still hold U.K. titles so I imagine the Met Office.

How long is Charles going to be footing the bill for their so-called financial independence?

Until he ascends the throne is a logically conclusion. Or if in a years time H&M have made enough money they may choose to go it alone.

Are we going to be seeing tell-all interviews or is there an agreement that they will be discreet? If so, does that mean Meghan can no longer have her friends spilling the beans?

Royal Reporters were told last week that H&M had no plans for any interviews. Why would you bite the hand that feeds?

Are they going to be showing up for things like Trooping, etc.--in other words, the fun stuff--or are they completely out?

They are still members of the family, Trooping is primarily a family event so I don’t see why not. I doubt we’ll see them at Ascot or Garter Day however.

Well to be honest both titles sound divorced because before he was Prince Harry, the Duke of Sussex. Now he is just Harry, Duke of Sussex.

Before he was HRH The Duke of Sussex.

Last edited:
I wish good luck to the Sussex Family, I believe it will be a good life for them.

Well I'm happy for them and I can't wait where this will take them. And who knows where this will take them in a few years time. At this point I don't see this as being permanent.

In the Queen's statement, she said "I recognise the challenges they have experienced as a result of intense scrutiny over the last two years and support their wish for a more independent life."

There's a very interesting article about royal coverage in The Guardian this morning:

"So, when reading about Harry and Meghan, it really does pay to keep your wits about you. There is a surface level to the story – not all of it untrue – and there are many anonymous sources of varying degrees of reliability to give colour and context. And, in the background, there are quite a lot of worried newspaper executives and former editors, who have absolutely zero interest in treating the couple kindly or even-handedly."

I recommend reading the whole article by Alan Rusbridger (who is is principal of Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford University, and chairs the Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism) here:
https://www.theguardian.com/comment...-read-all-about-it-prince-harry-meghan-markle

Last edited:
Isn't he still Prince Harry. He is British prince by birth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom