The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder if she gets pregnant again, where they baby will born? And even though Archie is so young but they are thinking not to send him to British school?

One thing I fully expect to happen now is that the Sussex office and staff at Buckingham Palace will be closed. Permanently. Where they set up their own office and staff now is anybody's guess. Kind of like Pitch@Palace has been scuppered and renamed just Pitch.

This probably will also cause some staff to formally resign working for the Sussexes as its not "Firm" related any longer. I guess the Sussexes did get what they wanted and are now able to set up their own household and "court" to use the term lightly.

I think there's a whole lot of work to be done before they can even think of launching their own foundation too including perhaps changing the registration of the foundation and changing the trademarks applied for. Especially if they're required to drop the "Royal" part of Sussex Royal.

What the Sussexes wanted
What they got

“…to continue to carry out their duties for Her Majesty The Queen”
“…they understand they are required to step back from Royal duties”
“While they can no longer formally represent The Queen…”
“…they are no longer working members of the Royal Family.”

“The Duke & Duchess of Sussex will continue to use Frogmore Cottage – with the permission of HM – as their official residence as they continue to support the Monarchy,”
“The Duke & Duchess of Sussex have shared their wish to repay Sovereign Grant expenditure for the refurbishment of Frogmore Cottage, which will remain their UK family home”.

“Welcome to Sussex Royal, the source of factual information and details relating to the works and structure of Their Royal Highnesses The Duke & Duchess of Sussex
“The Sussexes will not use their HRH titles…”

“…as we continue to collaborate with Her Majesty The Queen, The Prince of Wales, The Duke of Cambridge…”
“While they can no longer formally represent The Queen…”
“…they are no longer working members of the Royal Family.”

Thanks for this ! As Dickie Arbiter said, there is no such thing as being part-Royal - you either are or you’re not. As he also said, this was pretty much as good as they could get, and as much as the Queen could give. He doesn’t think we’ll see Meghan in the UK again, but I really hope that doesn’t count for (hopefully a long way down the line) the Queen or Philip’s funerals, Charles’ coronation, etc....If she doesn’t appear then, it’s a total slap in the face..l

I'm not sure Andrew or Harry will be officially removed.

Good point.

I see that Prince Philip is no longer listed as Counselor of State on the official site, reducing those appointed to four, not five.

It could simply be that there will be less Counselors of State.
Even among those appointed, maybe some who are given no roles to perform due to having resigned or being at too great a geographic distance.
Leaving just two active (Charles and William) for the current time.

Wonder if she gets pregnant again, where they baby will born? And even though Archie is so young but they are thinking not to send him to British school?

I don't see Meghan relocating to the UK on any permanent basis. Apparently, she made it patently clear that she can't stand living there.

That means Archie will most likely go to school in Canada, if the Sussexes settle permanently in Canada, or in the US, if they eventually move south of the border. I think they will stay in Canada for a while unless they run into too much political controversy over immigration status and Canada having to fund their security bill for example. In fact, now that they have been de facto cut off from the official Royal Family, it will be very difficult to get state-funded security in Canada and I don't see any possibility of privileged immigration arrangements.

It makes me sad for them. It is not their fault for Andrew's situation. I feel bad that Beatrice may not get a fancy Princess wedding like Eugenie did because of father. I can only imagine the booing that might be directed at Andrew if she had a public wedding and how embarrassing that would be for her. Then again, she may not want a wedding like Eugenie's.

It's a real shame a big wedding for Beatrice is off the cards. If managed well, it could have been a much-needed, 'pull everyone together' morale booster. I'm sure the family will still enjoy the occasion, but the public will play no part in it.

Well, this has been fascinating. I'm not sure quite what I expected, but some of the "agreement"--and I use the term loosely since I'm not sure how much choice Harry and Meghan had--was a surprise. The retention of the HRH, but the restriction on using it was a very elegant solution to a thorny problem. I was not expecting Harry to lose his military appointments. The repayment of the renovation money for FC was not a surprise, and neither really was the stepping back from royal duties, since anything else seemed unworkable.

Things I still want to know:

How commercial are Harry and Meghan planning to get, and how embarrassing for the British monarchy is that likely to be?

Will the name of the Sussex Royal foundation have to change?

Where are they going to live (North America covers a lot of ground)?

If they stay in Canada, does that mean they will be jumping the immigration queue or otherwise having the rules bent for them?

Who is going to be paying for their security?

How long is Charles going to be footing the bill for their so-called financial independence?

Are we going to be seeing tell-all interviews or is there an agreement that they will be discreet? If so, does that mean Meghan can no longer have her friends spilling the beans?

Are they going to be showing up for things like Trooping, etc.--in other words, the fun stuff--or are they completely out?

Sounds basically if their is a massive tradegy we will,get King Archie Ralph on the throne.

I think she thought it was a fairytale. Marry a prince but marrying royal families or aristocracy has not in the majority of cases gone well for American women and many marriages end. And Grace Kelly was disillusioned. Although she herself did it for eternal fame. It is just a totally different life and that is even before you get used to the European way of life and Sensibility.

One wonders if Meghan thought marrying a British prince would mean a life of movie premieres, parties, tiaras and designer dresses, when actually it's a life of smiling, waving, shaking hands, country estates, dogs, hunting, shooting, fishing, Hunter boots, Land Rovers and Barbour jackets.

Yes, they have glamorous moments, but the British royals don't really live glamorous lives...

There's an article in The Telegraph stating that Meghan worked 72 days as a senior royal. It's behind a paywall, so I couldn't read any further. But it is something I'd been wondering about. Does anyone know of a full timeline or list of her engagements since she and Harry married?

I'm not sure Andrew or Harry will be officially removed.

Good point.

I see that Prince Philip is no longer listed as Counselor of State on the official site, reducing those appointed to four, not five.

It could simply be that there will be less Counselors of State.
Even among those appointed, maybe some who are given no roles to perform due to having resigned or being at too great a geographic distance.

So that may leave just two active (Charles and William) for the current time.

There's an article in The Telegraph stating that Meghan worked 72 days as a senior royal. It's behind a paywall, so I couldn't read any further. But it is something I'd been wondering about. Does anyone know of a full timeline or list of her engagements since she and Harry married?

The Court Circular website is the best place to find this info:

https://www.royal.uk/court-circular

Well, this has been fascinating. I'm not sure quite what I expected, but some of the "agreement"--and I use the term loosely since I'm not sure how much choice Harry and Meghan had--was a surprise. The retention of the HRH, but the restriction on using it was a very elegant solution to a thorny problem. I was not expecting Harry to lose his military appointments. The repayment of the renovation money for FC was not a surprise, and neither really was the stepping back from royal duties, since anything else seemed unworkable.

Things I still want to know:

How commercial are Harry and Meghan planning to get, and how embarrassing for the British monarchy is that likely to be?

Will the name of the Sussex Royal foundation have to change?

Where are they going to live (North America covers a lot of ground)?

If they stay in Canada, does that mean they will be jumping the immigration queue or otherwise having the rules bent for them?

Who is going to be paying for their security?

How long is Charles going to be footing the bill for their so-called financial independence?

Are we going to be seeing tell-all interviews or is there an agreement that they will be discreet? If so, does that mean Meghan can no longer have her friends spilling the beans?

Are they going to be showing up for things like Trooping, etc.--in other words, the fun stuff--or are they completely out?

Excellent questions-in time some of them at least will be answered.

I was not surprised by the restriction on anything “royalty” related nor the complete elimination of any royal duties.
I don’t think either of those things was the hoped for outcome by Harry & Meghan.

I don't see Meghan relocating to the UK on any permanent basis. Apparently, she made it patently clear that she can't stand living there.

She obviously found the press coverage difficult to deal with and Harry's already malignant view of the media didn't help. It seems he blames them for his mother's death and I suspect he doesn't want his own son to grow up with that same mental baggage.

IMO it would be far worse if Meghan were to return since the tabloids would feel even more emboldened to attack her now that the Sussexes have lost some of their public support.

I shake my head in wonder, wishing the couple had spent more time and effort learning to handle, or at least ignore, the press, even reaching out to others for help and advice. As it is, they gave it less than two years.

One wonders if Meghan thought marrying a British prince would mean a life of movie premieres, parties, tiaras and designer dresses, when actually it's a life of smiling, waving, shaking hands, country estates, dogs, hunting, shooting, fishing, Hunter boots, Land Rovers and Barbour jackets.

Yes, they have glamorous moments, but the British royals don't really live glamorous lives...

If so, a lot of that’s on Harry, who should have prepared her...

She obviously found the press coverage difficult to deal with and Harry's already malignant view of the media didn't help. It seems he blames them for his mother's death and I suspect he doesn't want his own son to grow up with that same mental baggage.

IMO it would be far worse if Meghan were to return since the tabloids would feel even more emboldened to attack her now that the Sussexes have lost some of their public support.

I shake my head in wonder, wishing the couple had spent more time and effort learning to handle, or at least ignore, the press, even reaching out to others for help and advice. As it is, they gave it less than two years.

He blames the media for his mother’s death but he still uses them when it’s convenient for him. Now he wants to engage with “young, up and coming” media types - meaning those who are impressionable and probably thrilled to have access to such a couple.

I think Harry and Meghan are immature, frankly. I also can’t get past that they gave it less than two years. She seems to hate the UK - which can’t endear her to the British - and her seems to hate everything about the institution of the monarchy, even though it seems he’s all put out because he feels he’s been pushed out. Such a momentous decision required far more thought - and I wonder if there will always be lingering resentment in William, Kate, the cousins, etc... for Harry putting them in this position.

I hope Charles and William grow closer. I look forward to seeing the Queen and Charles with Kate and the kids. I hope that Harry regrets missing out being with his family ...I do hope he returns one day

Last edited:

72 days doesn't mean 72 engagements of course. Look how many engagements royals pack in on official tours and Meghan/Harry have done two long ones of those and a mini one to Morocco.

If you look on the Gerts Royals blog you will see timelines and engagements for both over the last couple of years. (Meghan also did some engagements as Harry's fiancee before they married.)

IHe blames the media for his mother’s death but he still uses them when it’s convenient for him. Now he wants to engage with “young, up and coming” media types - meaning those who are impressionable and probably thrilled to have access to such a couple.

I think Harry and Meghan are immature, frankly. I also can’t get past that they gave it less than two years. She seems to hate the UK - which can’t endear her to the British - and her seems to hate everything about the institution of the monarchy, even though it seems he’s all put out because he feels he’s been pushed out. Such a momentous decision required far more thought - and I wonder if there will always be lingering resentment in William, Kate, the cousins, etc... for Harry putting them in this position.

I hope Charles and William grow closer. I look forward to seeing the Queen and Charles with Kate and the kids. I hope that Harry regrets missing out being with his family ...I do hope he returns one day

He seems to have a similar relationship with the media as Diana- hates them, but still uses them as needed.

Harry and Meghan come across as very immature to me too. It’s hard to come out of this debacle seeing them in any other light, They seem a lot alike in some ways that perhaps it would be better if there was a balance. (Both obsessed over the media, for instance, rather than ignoring it and moving on.)

They do have potential to make a lot of money- but if it’s a way that seems useful and valuable is debatable. There’s a difference in just making money off their names and pulling off something worthwhile. We’ll see. Their long term thinking certainly needs improvement.

It wouldn’t stun me if there is some permanent impact on Harry’s relationships with his family for life- because the fallout will be felt for the rest of their lives. It’ll surely trickle down to George and his siblings at some point too. Which is something I’m just now really thinking about.

Between Harry abdicating his duty to his family, and the childish, public manner in which he chose to handle it- that is a lot for the family to digest. And while some of us outsiders don’t see this decision as that big of a deal- in a family that prizes duty and commitment this is pretty momentous. It’s not Duke of Windsor bad, but it’s pretty bad imo.

Plus- how Harry and Meghan conduct themselves going forward will almost certainly play into family relations.

It would be nice if Charles and William grew closer. They’ll certainly need each other.

Something else I wonder: what is the point of this “transition period”? It’s pretty short.

What value add is there really? Are there engagements they had scheduled already? Is it for their staff? Something else??

Chris Ship has spoken to the chief of one of Harry's charities. The man spoke about how saddened he was. 'I'm gutted!' he said. (Obviously he knows Harry but doesn't feel he's immature, disrespectful etc, etc then.) Chris said that he wouldn't be the only one feeling that way today.

Last edited:
Chris Ship has spoken to the chief of one of Harry's charities. The man spoke about how saddened he was. 'I'm gutted!' He said. (Obviously he knows Harry but doesn't feel he's immature, disrespectful etc, etc then. Chris said that he wouldn't be the only one feeling that way today.

“I’m gutted” is not a surprising response. Harry has done a lot of good. And it’s a sad situation that played out very publicly. Unnecessarily so.

People can be gutted, appreciate what Harry’s done- that doesn’t necessarily mean they like how he handled this situation. They may be fine with his actions; they may not.

I don’t get anything out of that other than people are naturally saddened about what has happened.

It wouldn’t stun me if there is some permanent impact on Harry’s relationships with his family for life- because the fallout will be felt for the rest of their lives. It’ll surely trickle down to George and his siblings at some point too. Which is something I’m just now really thinking about.

Between Harry abdicating his duty to his family, and the childish, public manner in which he chose to handle it- that is a lot for the family to digest. And while some of us outsiders don’t see this decision as that big of a deal- in a family that prizes duty and commitment this is pretty momentous. It’s not Duke of Windsor bad, but it’s pretty bad imo.

Plus- how Harry and Meghan conduct themselves going forward will almost certainly play into family relations.

It would be nice if Charles and William grew closer. They’ll certainly need each other.

That's one positive I can see from this, whether one views this mess as a lasting betrayal or just a blip. Those that have stayed dutiful to the Crown will likely band closer together. Between Charles, William, Anne and Edward the bonds of trust will be fortified. Despite different personalities the remianing royals all have a common goal.

I guess if they thought the press was going to leave them alone:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...director-Jon-Favreau-wife-available-work.html

I don't think it was about the press. They've gotten more pap photos in Canada than they ever had in Windsor. And they know about all the criticism Beatrice and Eugenie have gotten despite not being working royals. Unless they're dunces, they know they have less press protection now

I think it was just about having goals (mostly commercial and/or political) that didn't aline with BRF standards.

Last edited:
I don't think it was about the press. They've gotten more pap photos in Canada than they ever had in Windsor. And they know about all the criticism Beatrice and Eugenie have gotten despite not being working royals. Unless they're dunces, they know they have less press protection now

I think it was just about have goals (mostly commercial and/or political) that didn't aline with BRF standards.

I seriously hope they stay out of politics. Post-Brexit, the UK will need trade deals and the RF and Parliament will not tolerate a member of the House of Windsor tarnishing their chances for one with their actions.

He seems to have a similar relationship with the media as Diana- hates them, but still uses them as needed.

Harry and Meghan come across as very immature to me too. It’s hard to come out of this debacle seeing them in any other light, They seem a lot alike in some ways that perhaps it would be better if there was a balance. (Both obsessed over the media, for instance, rather than ignoring it and moving on.)

They do have potential to make a lot of money- but if it’s a way that seems useful and valuable is debatable. There’s a difference in just making money off their names and pulling off something worthwhile. We’ll see. Their long term thinking certainly needs improvement.

Harry may not be intellectually brilliant, but he’s no dummy in that he seems to be good at manipulating the media to get him on his side (like taking them for drinks). That said, for someone reputed to be emotionally intelligent, he sure misread the tea leaves by making that ridiculous announcement.

I think that’s a good point about needing balance in their relationship - they both also tend to cut people off for either questioning them or worrying about them, which will tend to isolate them. Given this tendency, balance is especially needed since it appears that they will only listen to each other.

George, Charlotte and Louis will miss their uncle - George especially when he’s older and starting to be tutored about how to be a king. Of course he loves his daddy, but doesn’t every kid love to have a goofy uncle to relax and have fun with?

I’ve come to the conclusion that I really worried for nothing. William and Harry probably are like most kids and don’t necessarily want to listen to their parents. Sure they’ve had ups and downs, but considering everything they’ve all been through, that’s to be expected. Charles is mentoring William now - that’s bound to bring them closer even if they have their moments. They’re both going to miss Harry deeply, so they need to need to lean on each other...

I’ll just add that I don’t think Harry is a lost cause by any means. He’s still a good person at heart, he really is. Maybe some space will help him sort things out...

Harry may not be intellectually brilliant, but he’s no dummy in that he seems to be good at manipulating the media to get him on his side (like taking them for drinks). That said, for someone reputed to be emotionally intelligent, he sure misread the tea leaves by making that ridiculous announcement.

I think that’s a good point about needing balance in their relationship - they both also tend to cut people off for either questioning them or worrying about them, which will tend to isolate them. Given this tendency, balance is especially needed since it appears that they will only listen to each other.

George, Charlotte and Louis will miss their uncle - George especially when he’s older and starting to be tutored about how to be a king. Of course he loves his daddy, but doesn’t every kid love to have a goofy uncle to relax and have fun with?

I’ve come to the conclusion that I really worried for nothing. William and Harry probably are like most kids and don’t necessarily want to listen to their parents. Sure they’ve had ups and downs, but considering everything they’ve all been through, that’s to be expected. Charles is mentoring William now - that’s bound to bring them closer even if they have their moments. They’re both going to miss Harry deeply, so they need to need to lean on each other...

I’ll just add that I don’t think Harry is a lost cause by any means. He’s still a good person at heart, he really is. Maybe some space will help him sort things out...

Good thing he has James Middleton. James even said in an interview that he wants to be the fun uncle.

That's one positive I can see from this, whether one views this mess as a lasting betrayal or just a blip. Those that have stayed dutiful to the Crown will likely band closer together. Between Charles, William, Anne and Edward the bonds of trust will be fortified. Despite different personalities the remianing royals all have a common goal.

I’d like to see that....maybe Charles can even rely more on Edward. I know they aren’t particularly close due mostly to the age difference, but there’s a vacuum without Harry - for Charles, especially, but for everyone. I think it’s encouraging the way HM, Charles and William handled this upheaval - they really seem united, the entire family.

“I’m gutted” is not a surprising response. Harry has done a lot of good. And it’s a sad situation that played out very publicly. Unnecessarily so.

Truth. The fallout continues....

Agreed. He’s done a lot of good. There’s plenty of potential for him to continue doing good. He has a lot to offer. There are a number of causes he seems to have genuine interest and passion in. In terms of his family, hopefully they can work through things.

This certainly could have been handled better, but what’s done is done now. Everyone will just move forward.

I guess if they thought the press was going to leave them alone:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...director-Jon-Favreau-wife-available-work.html

That’s pretty tacky....if I’m Iger or Favreau or anyone in their position, I’m feeling extremely uncomfortable. There’s a reason this kind of thing is just not done in the BRF...

Good thing he has James Middleton. James even said in an interview that he wants to be the fun uncle.

I’ll admit, I keep forgetting about Kate’s family.....good for him !

Agreed. He’s done a lot of good. There’s plenty of potential for him to continue doing good. He has a lot to offer. There are a number of causes he seems to have genuine interest and passion in. In terms of his family, hopefully they can work through things.

This certainly could have been handled better, but what’s done is done now. Everyone will just move forward.

Maybe they can all Skype, lol - even the Queen would have been ok with that at the summit, lol.

I hope they can, I’m sure they can. Harry knows - even if he’s too into his own thing to realize it - that his father and brother love him. There’s no need for him ever to worry that Charles will ever push him out and away even though he and William work together a lot now. There’s no need to think that his brother doesn’t have his back as much as he did when they were kids. Maybe raising Archie will help him see this...

Last edited:

Given that Harry has already pulled off several big feats or "worthwhile" things with his work (IG, Endeavor Fund, etc), I think he will be perfectly fine doing big things going forward. Same with Meghan.

I’d like to see that....maybe Charles can even rely more on Edward. I know they aren’t particularly close due mostly to the age difference, but there’s a vacuum without Harry - for Charles, especially, but for everyone. I think it’s encouraging the way HM, Charles and William handled this upheaval - they really seem united, the entire family.

While I do believe that it's true that Charles and Edward aren't particularly close, I truly don't believe there's any bad blood between them. Simply a 16 year age difference and that makes it rather unlikely that they'll ever have been particularly close. I do recall seeing some lovely, if rare, photos of them together over the years and they do appear to rather enjoy each other's company on those rare occasions when they're together. So, I agree, it would be very nice indeed to see an increase in the reliance on the Wessexes. Now, we do know that William and Kate tend to get on very well with Edward and Sophie, particularly it seems that Kate and Sophie are very friendly and Kate also seems quite friendly with Louise, which I think it lovely. And, if any of the stories in the press are to be believed, Louise is said to be brilliant with George, Charlotte, and Louis so it's easy for me to believe that there might well be some increase in duties for Edward and Sophie along with, I hope, an increase in family relations as well.

And, since I've been away all evening, my goodness there's been a lot to read. I truly believe that the decision not to remove the HRHs is down to the RF believing there is a very real possibility of Harry returning to the family within a relatively short amount of time. I think it's quite clear that Meghan is done. I'd be very surprised if we ever really see anything of Archie. I doubt very much that we'll see any of them at Trooping, Sandringham, Ascot, or any of the other fun family moments for as long as the marriage lasts. And, while I do believe that that was the most significant reason for not removing the HRHs, I also wonder if they were left as a way for the family to still have a bargaining chip. Should their commercial ventures prove too controversial or damaging they'll be stripped and frankly, I believe that Parliament would go so far as to strip the titles, too, if they prove to be an embarrassment. I have to say that I'm a bit shocked that Harry was stripped of his military titles. I truly feel very, very sorry for the Duke of Edinburgh. I can imagine just how let down and hurt he must be by all of this but that title that we know meant so much to him and that I very much suspect he personally chose Harry for...how terribly sad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom