The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
what is the point? I don't think that the 2 of them are going to come back..the only thing would be if Harry came back alone...

I agree. I think that Meghan is, for all intents and purposes, done with living in the UK. I don’t think they’ll spend any meaningful time there, and Archie and any future children will probably be educated and raised in North America. I also agree that if anyone comes back, it will be Harry alone. If anything happens in the marriage, Meghan and the children will stay in Canada or the US.

I hope that's true. There needs to be some ongoing oversight from the Palace.

At least in regards to commercial deals, palace oversight reportedly will not apply:

"Crucially for the Sussexes, in return for dropping their HRHs and no royal engagements, there will no oversight on their commercial deals from BP/Royal Family & they can earn money however they please. No commercial deals in place at the moment we're told..."​

I'm absolutely sure that other organizations will benefit from their bew commitments.

They have shown that they are very hard to rely on. Organisations may make use of them but I don't think they will be very solid...

A lot of truth in what you say, however I don’t like the way they went about this. I also think that she probably threatened Harry with divorce which is why the Queen was willing to be considerate. I have a sinking feeling that this won’t end as the fairy tale we all hoped for.

I don’t agree with the way they went about it either, it was very underhanded and I get the sense that everyone in the royal family was blindsided by it. I’m hoping that they are happier with their new life, but also wonder how it will end... if things don’t end well I could see it being very nasty, especially with multiple countries now involved.

Which is why Meghan getting papped twice this past week is unusual.

A couple of the shows I watch are shot in Vancouver, the stars of these show have more media stardom and insta followers than Meghan can ever dream of!
There's paparazzi in Victoria right now. This is a big story. They won't camp out there forever. The were no shots during their 6 week vacation.

I agree. I think that Meghan is, for all intents and purposes, done with living in the UK. I don’t think they’ll spend any meaningful time there, and Archie and any future children will probably be educated and raised in North America. I also agree that if anyone comes back, it will be Harry alone. If anything happens in the marriage, Meghan and the children will stay in Canada or the US.

Althogh I've never liked Meghan.. having always had a certain unease about her, I don't want for Harry to be divorced and maybe losing contact iwht his son...I think he's moving there to please ehr.. and isn't that pushed about the place.. tho' he's not that happy in the UK either. Im sorry for him.. stupid as he has been..

I have to say that I’ve been very disappointed by the whole situation. I thought that their engagement and marriage was rushed and wondered if Meghan was aware of what she was getting herself into, but I also saw someone who was really civically and social justice minded who could use the role to do a lot of good in the world. I also hoped that the family would embrace her, since she came from a toxic family situation in which basically the only solid, non-toxic member was her mother. What seems to have happened was that she was probably a bit naive and truly didn’t know what she was getting herself into. The press and tabloid scrutiny was toxic and for the most part extremely unfair. I don’t think she has much in common with the wives/girlfriends of Harry’s set of friends (the posh, polo set), and I wonder how much she has truly been embraced by the royal family behind the scenes. I don’t get the sense that she and William and Kate are close or have much in common, and I wonder if she was essentially told by the powers that be to keep a stiff upper lip in terms of the press, to ignore it and go on with life and duties. So she’s over in the UK with a new baby, the press constantly hounding her negatively, her father and sister spewing lies, with really only her husband as her support system, with few friends and with her mother and closest friends back in North America- no wonder Meghan was unhappy!

I think she was also expecting the role to be more glamorous and important than it actually was. Much of the royal duties aren’t wearing pretty dresses and tiaras and making huge humanitarian changes like Angelina Jolie or George Clooney. It’s lots of mundane tasks like opening hospitals and touring galleries and hugging children and people in wheelchairs. It probably wasn’t the exciting, world-changing life she was hoping for.

So I’m not at all surprised that she wanted to step away, and that Harry, who loves his wife and has probably always wished for the chance to step away himself but never would have done it on his own, supported the decision and indeed helped facilitate it. It’s very sad that this decision has apparently come after major rifts with the rest of the family and his close friends, but I’m hoping that they find whatever they’re looking for in Canada and are able to happily raise their son there in an environment where they feel more comfortable and supported. I hope that they haven’t totally closed the door on royal life, although I think for Meghan and probably Archie and any future children, they will never spend any meaningful time in the UK again. I think that the children will be educated in North America and settle in North America, and will not consider themselves British, but Canadian or American, wherever the family chooses to settle long term.

Sounds basically if their is a massive tradegy we will,get King Archie Ralph on the throne.

I think she thought it was a fairytale. Marry a prince but marrying royal families or aristocracy has not in the majority of cases gone well for American women and many marriages end. And Grace Kelly was disillusioned. Although she herself did it for eternal fame. It is just a totally different life and that is even before you get used to the European way of life and Sensibility.

Last edited:
Of course because I think if Charles doesn't support them, they wont have enough supporters, once the initial excitement is over, to create this income... esp if they have to stick within the limits of "royal propriety". So poor old C wil problaby have to pay for security, repay the money for Frogmore and shell out for their general expenses.
There are YouTubers who make millions of dollars a year who aren't widely known to the general public. Harry and Meghan will not have trouble making money.

There are YouTubers who make millions of dollars a year who aren't widely known to the general public. Harry and Meghan will not have trouble making money.

Meghan could start up The Tig again.
Vogue Australia thinks it could be being revived.

Last edited:
I wish Buckingham Palace would give us clear guidance on Harry and Meghan’s titles and styles so we know how to call them. For starters, I don’t know yet if Harry is still using the titular dignity of Prince prefixed to his name ( as he is legally entitled the) or if he has also voluntarily relinquished that title along with the HRH style.
I agree and I wonder if further guidance will be forthcoming.

Then Charles should pull the plug on money for them...

I don't understand why they link the Queen's statement as its doesn't really provide any information. Too ashamed to link the Palace's statement?
If you go to the page, it actually does link to the official statement. The hyperlink didn't copy when I copied the text.

This whole website will need to be changed, which takes time. At this point, I'm not sure that they will be able to keep calling Sussex Royal.

There's paparazzi in Victoria right now. This is a big story. They won't camp out there forever. The were no shots during their 6 week vacation.
Which only supports my point that those paparazzis were likely called and notified of where Meghan will be.
Again in two years of marriage she was not photographed while on private runs, during the six weeks she did not either, they drop their bombshell and since she abandoned Harry to deal with the fallout himself she has been papped twice.. ummm

You are correct, “they” might not.

One of them might. It is very sad for him. I mean a psychologist would have a field day. They were a couple were one had a strong family basis with family and friends and one had seemingly transient relationships and no contact with their families and now they are both that way, if Rose Astors comment on SM yesterday is any indication.

Shall we then [after Springtime] find posts regarding Henry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex in the 'British Aristocracy' thread ?
They'll still be royal but won't be addressed as such. Besides the Snowdon, Chatto, etc threads are still under "British Royals."

Then Charles should pull the plug on money for them...

It’s complicated because Charles is going to want to provide some sort of buffer in case it doesn’t work out immediately.....it’s his son, after all. Still, he’s got to answer to the public...I wish Harry had insisted that he wouldn’t accept this funding, but most likely he used his father’s love for him against him in order to keep the funding

Maybe thats one the reasons it will be reviewed in a year, if by then they are earning more money than Charles gives them maybe he will feel happy to pull the plug on giving them so much.

It’s complicated because Charles is going to want to provide some sort of buffer in case it doesn’t work out immediately.....it’s his son, after all. Still, he’s got to answer to the public...I wish Harry had insisted that he wouldn’t accept this funding, but most likely he used his father’s love for him against him in order to keep the funding

I think it has more 5o do with the fact that he doesn't want them commercially exploiting themselves. I mean Harry is wealthy enough to never need another dime but unfortunately he probably spends a lot of money too.

I've asked for clarification on this. All other non royal dukes are known as The Duke of XXX. RRs are stating that Henry will now be known as Henry, Duke of Sussex. Which is incorrect, his peerage is separate to his HRH and was given to him via LPs. They have every right, in my understanding, to be known as The Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

While I do not know what agreements were made, I do not understand why they wouldn't be known as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex (like TRH the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, etc. except without the Royal Highness). Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, sounds as if she were divorced from Harry. They don't need any prefixes such as His Grace, etc...in my mind it would be simple to leave off the HRH. As I said, I don't know what has been agreed among the parties, but that would seem simplest (and most "correct") to me.

They could also be Harry and Meghan Sussex I suppose. ?

what is the point? I don't think that the 2 of them are going to come back..the only thing would be if Harry came back alone...
Yes, but technically they will still be HRHs and it would better IMO if the Palace kept an eye on them especially where their commercial ventures are concerned. The Palace already goofed by giving Andrew a free rein.
EDIT: Oops, just read Tatiana Marie's post explaining this won't happen in terms of commercial ventures. This makes me nervous....

Last edited:
They wont come back as Senior royals, that ship has sailed now.

"They" will never by welcome but "he" is a different story.

I think the review is to see what kind of commercial opportunities they engage in and what the public reception will be. If there is significant backlash there might be a more formalized decision on titles and styles.

Wow! Lots of new developments happened while I was AFK today. I can't say I'm surprised at the outcome that has been announced and to be honest, I find it sensible, compromising in its own way and hopefully will allow Harry and Meghan the life that they want to lead.

First off, my impression is that the "Firm" is like many, many other businesses and corporations in that they do not and will not accept "moonlighting". That is, being part of the business yet working elsewhere on the side. Harry and Meghan effectively have been handed a "you're fired!" notice from the "Firm" and with that, any venture they go into in the future (foundation, private patronages etc) cannot have any kind of connotation that would or could reflect on their previous "employment" with the "Firm". Hence, no HRH may be used and I would assume that the "Royal" part of Sussex Royal will be removed. This is common good sense when it comes to business and financial ventures. They're on their own in the work they do going into the future. Nothing can be used that even hints at their "royal" status that would allude to being endorsed by the monarchy's "Firm". Basically it would be like Beatrice and Eugenie being known in their places of business as Beatrice York or Eugenie Brooksbank. They do not use their HRH for business purposes. In this respect, what was done was to protect the "Firm" and not allowing that "half in and half out" which, to me, in the long run would end up being confusing.

Still, Harry and Meghan are still HRH The Duke and Duchess of Sussex within the family fold as Beatrice and Eugenie are still and always will be Princesses of the UK. Their rank and file in the order of precedence remains as it always was and will continue. They're still members of the British Royal Family and will still participate in family events and be warmly welcomed. They're not being exiled or banished from the family. Just from the "Firm" and its workings.

As with any new business venture, it holds the possibility of going belly up and flopping as its own stand alone venture. I think we pretty much saw that happen with the Wessexes in their early years. The doors aren't permanently slammed shut on Harry and Meghan and I don't believe anyone in the BRF would actively wish for them to fail. They, of course, would lose any "perks" held with being part of the "Firm". That's to be expected. As family, they're still entitled to the use of Frogmore Cottage as a residence but as they're no longer working for the family "Firm", they will be required to pay the going rent to use it.

As for Charles' coronation? Both Harry and Meghan would still attend as the son and daughter-in-law of the monarch, wear the appropriate dress as stated for coronations with even coronets and swearing fealty to King Charles. We've had no coronations in the British monarchy since 1953 so Charles may change some things such as the tiaras and coronets and robes etc... we'll see.

So, basically, the changes that are to be implemented in the spring basically all deal with the "Firm" side of the BRF and not the "family" side. I wish Harry and Meghan the best in all of this and that they find what they are looking for. I also believe that if needed, the family will always be there for them and they're not being exiled and banished never to have their names spoken again ala David and Wallis.

This is my take on things and of course, my own opinion. ?

While I do not know what agreements were made, I do not understand why they wouldn't be known as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex (like TRH the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, etc. except without the Royal Highness). Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, sounds as if she were divorced from Harry. They don't need any prefixes such as His Grace, etc...in my mind it would be simple to leave off the HRH. As I said, I don't know what has been agreed among the parties, but that would seem simplest (and most "correct") to me.

My guess is that it is because they intend to live and work, at least part-time, in North America, where the British royals are often better recognized by their names than by their correct British styles.

Well to be honest both titles sound divorced because before he was Prince Harry, the Duke of Sussex. Now he is just Harry, Duke of Sussex.

This has been an interesting announcement to say the least...

This is what I am concerned about/want answers for:

1. What legal status is Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, a PRIVATE CITIZEN living in Canada under? Has fanboy Trudeau queue-jumped the immigration system for them?

2. Who is going to be paying for the security of these PRIVATE CITIZENS. The Canadian taxpayer better not be stuck with the bill.

3. What assets does Charles have that do not come from the Duchy of Cornwall. All his personal savings and investments come from the money he made from the Duchy.

As for the announcement, I feel like the BRF has given them enough rope to see what they do with it. If they engage in questionable money making ventures, I believe Letters Patent formally stripping them of their HRH (and possible parliamentary action taking away the peerage and position in the line of succession) are not out of the question.

Wow! Lots of new developments happened while I was AFK today. I can't say I'm surprised at the outcome that has been announced and to be honest, I find it sensible, compromising in its own way and hopefully will allow Harry and Meghan the life that they want to lead.

First off, my impression is that the "Firm" is like many, many other businesses and corporations in that they do not and will not accept "moonlighting". That is, being part of the business yet working elsewhere on the side. Harry and Meghan effectively have been handed a "you're fired!" notice from the "Firm" and with that, any venture they go into in the future (foundation, private patronages etc) cannot have any kind of connotation that would or could reflect on their previous "employment" with the "Firm". Hence, no HRH may be used and I would assume that the "Royal" part of Sussex Royal will be removed. This is common good sense when it comes to business and financial ventures. They're on their own in the work they do going into the future. Nothing can be used that even hints at their "royal" status that would allude to being endorsed by the monarchy's "Firm". Basically it would be like Beatrice and Eugenie being known in their places of business as Beatrice York or Eugenie Brooksbank. They do not use their HRH for business purposes. In this respect, what was done was to protect the "Firm" and not allowing that "half in and half out" which, to me, in the long run would end up being confusing.

Still, Harry and Meghan are still HRH The Duke and Duchess of Sussex within the family fold as Beatrice and Eugenie are still and always will be Princesses of the UK. Their rank and file in the order of precedence remains as it always was and will continue. They're still members of the British Royal Family and will still participate in family events and be warmly welcomed. They're not being exiled or banished from the family. Just from the "Firm" and its workings.

As with any new business venture, it holds the possibility of going belly up and flopping as its own stand alone venture. I think we pretty much saw that happen with the Wessexes in their early years. The doors aren't permanently slammed shut on Harry and Meghan and I don't believe anyone in the BRF would actively wish for them to fail. They, of course, would lose any "perks" held with being part of the "Firm". That's to be expected. As family, they're still entitled to the use of Frogmore Cottage as a residence but as they're no longer working for the family "Firm", they will be required to pay the going rent to use it.

As for Charles' coronation? Both Harry and Meghan would still attend as the son and daughter-in-law of the monarch, wear the appropriate dress as stated for coronations with even coronets and swearing fealty to King Charles. We've had no coronations in the British monarchy since 1953 so Charles may change some things such as the tiaras and coronets and robes etc... we'll see.

So, basically, the changes that are to be implemented in the spring basically all deal with the "Firm" side of the BRF and not the "family" side. I wish Harry and Meghan the best in all of this and that they find what they are looking for. I also believe that if needed, the family will always be there for them and they're not being exiled and banished never to have their names spoken again ala David and Wallis.

This is my take on things and of course, my own opinion. ?

No Bea and Eug are HRH full stop but don't use is it at work. Like the Cambridges at school. Harry and Meghan cannot use it anywhere. Also, only because I have ever a thing about women and the automatic assumption they change their names when they marry. Eugenie works under her own name. Eugenie York

Yes, but technically they will still be HRHs and it would better IMO if the Palace kept an eye on them especially where their commercial ventures are concerned. The Palace already goofed by giving Andrew a free rein.
EDIT: Oops, just read Tatiana Marie's post explaining this won't happen in terms of commercial ventures. This makes me nervous....

There is another story out now that says any commercial ventures will need to be approved by the Lord Chamberlain. I haven’t seen the source yet so not sure if there is anything to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom