The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh the irony and audacity of these two to use this quote from the Queen on their website:

“I declare before you all that my whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong.”

I find these two to be completely despicable and without an ounce of shame.

...and their commitment to the Queen...zilch

Well this gave some needed clarity. I do think it was wrong to strip Harry of his military appointments. I am pleased they still retain their titles even if they are not using them. Also was a smart PR move to pay back costs for FC.

And I am sad they will no longer be doing any royal duties. I am a bit confused as to how being VP and Pres of QCT isn't representing her majesty though?

I also feel like all of this could change when Charles ascends. I feel they are leaving the door open for them to return to being working royals once Charles is king. Maybe it won't be needed or wanted but I think the door was left open intentionally.

I am excited for the work Harry and Meghan will continue to do though. I think it will be a very exciting time for them this year.

The statement references 'private patronages'; I wonder whether some of their current patronages are considered 'royal patronages' and others 'private patronages'. They might even use the next several weeks to discuss their status with each of their current patronages to decide whether they will continue as patron or not (those that Meghan took over from the queen seem more likely to drop Meghan than those personally picked by Meghan for instance); I am sure things will become clear with time.

They indeed seem to leave the door open a little by for example not stripping them of their HRH. In this way, they still have measures left to somewhat keep Harry and Meghan in check; while on the other hand leave the option over of a return at some point (although that won't be an easy road to travel).

Stripping them of their styles might also have been considered problematic in relation to many other HRHs who are not full-time working for the family (although not because of their own wish but because they have been deemed unnecessary or have been sidelined (Andrew, [rince(ss) Michael, Beatrice, Eugenie).

Well, that told me then!

You know what, though.

Had Harry and Meghan played their cards differently, they could have sold not wanting to use HRH as a choice or at least a real agreement with HM. Along with everything else they stated on their website, that is not to be. It could have looked like this end result was what they really wanted.

Because they decided to play games, they’ve embarrassed themselves. They have to walk all of that back. They’ve no doubt cost themselves some respect and goodwill that will be difficult- if not impossible- to get back. And they’ve dragged their family publicly through what was already a difficult and painful situation. The lack of maturity and entitlement displayed by them was astounding.

Last edited:
Yes, ok...celebrity magazines, not hard news... and that’s my point, which I guess will be good for Meghan and Harry as the celeb/entertainment media is pretty soft

That's what they want.. praise and no criticism. But if they really are serious about their charity work, they should be prepared to take some crticisim.

It bugs me that the only winner in this whole episode is Samantha Markle. I believe it is her relentless poisonous outbursts that turned much of the tabloid press against Meghan. If the rest of Meghan's family had been like her mother, I don't think we would be here.

The statement references 'private patronages'; I wonder whether some of their current patronages are considered 'royal patronages' and others 'private patronages'. They might even use the next several weeks to discuss their status with each of their current patronages to decide whether they will continue as patron or not (those that Meghan took over from the queen seem more likely to drop Meghan than those personally picked by Meghan for instance); I am sure things will become clear with time.

They indeed seem to leave the door open a little by for example not stripping them of their HRH. In this way, they still have measures left to somewhat keep Harry and Meghan in check; while on the other hand leave the option over of a return at some point (although that won't be an easy road to travel).

Stripping them of their styles might also have been considered problematic in relation to many other HRHs who are not full-time working for the family (although not because of their own wish but because they have been deemed unnecessary or have been sidelined (Andrew, [rince(ss) Michael, Beatrice, Eugenie).
It was very unlikely that they would lose the HRH.. but being told they can't use it, is almost worse... and I'd say they have been told very firmly that their money making activities will have to be within certain bounds. I'd say Charles is doomed to support them for life.

Oh the irony and audacity of these two to use this quote from the Queen on their website:

“I declare before you all that my whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong.”

You’re kidding? THAT was on the website. How inappropriate. To put it mildly.

Andrew was sidlined. The others were or are considered unnecessar. That may change the poor would Duke of Glouscester thought he would be unnessary and was working for a career in architecture.

It bugs me that the only winner in this whole episode is Samantha Markle. I believe it is her relentless poisonous outbursts that turned much of the tabloid press against Meghan. If the rest of Meghan's family had been like her mother, I don't think we would be here.

Samantha didn't tell Meghan to go for a baby shower to the US.. nor to do that silly thing over Archie's birth. She is not a nice person but in point of fact her horrible behaviour might have engendered sympathy for Meghan.

I just came from their website, it appears to be updated. Where on the website does it say "this website is not current or updated". Really, am I totally wrong on this? I've spent considerable time on their website over the past week trying to understand their plans and it has continued to change from it's initial version. It even now says, "important update, please read" right at the top.

The website I presume, other than its acknowledgement of today’s announcement will be the same as it was pre announcement. However the website will have to change due to today’s announcement.

I just came from their website, it appears to be updated. Where on the website does it say "this website is not current or updated". Really, am I totally wrong on this? I've spent considerable time on their website over the past week trying to understand their plans and it has continued to change from it's initial version. It even now says, "important update, please read" right at the top.

It hasn't been updated yet. It continued to change all week probably under orders from.above. it will have to totally change now.

Haha, there’s a movie currently on ITV, shown after the news at 10 which Meghan and Henry were the top story.

The movie is Horrible Bosses, and you’ll never guess who’s in it!

Right here:

Update: 18th of January 2020

In line with*the statement*by Her Majesty The Queen, information on the roles and work of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be updated on this website in due course. We appreciate your patience and invite you to explore the site to see the current works of Their Royal Highnesses.

https://sussexroyal.com/about/

What ? They have what we call “chutzpah”, which is the Yiddish term for nerve...the only people Harry and Meghan are serving are themselves..

Duty has been such an important aspect of Philip’s entire life. I can’t imagine his disappointment in Harry.

That he chose to do this publicly must make it worse.

Indeed. He gave up his life because he loved his wife and was devoted to her and to his country - I’m quite sure he’s peeved at his grandson’s insistence on playing the part of a martyr. It’s not that he doesn’t want Harry to be happy, but everyone in the immediate family found their happiness perhaps in imperfect ways: divorces, scandals, etc... Now here’s Harry and he just wants to piss vinegar all over the institution that he and HM...Charles, Anne, Edward, William, etc...have served so well. Heck, he’s pissing all over the family - feuding with his father and brother, etc..l

It was very unlikely that they would lose the HRH.. but being told they can't use it, is almost worse... and I'd say they have been told very firmly that their money making activities will have to be within certain bounds. I'd say Charles is doomed to support them for life.

Yeah basically. But what is the alternative? If they dont have money they will have to sing for their supper. Once this charity thing has limited appeal. They will basically just be rich.

Correct, they will no longer be working royals or officially represent the Monarchy.

According to Harry and Meghan's updated website https://sussexroyal.com/monarchy/ "As members of the Royal Family, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex support Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by continuing her efforts to draw special attention to these groups as patrons of multiple organisations." Referencing their private patronages, ie Sentebale, the Invictus Games Foundation, Smart Works, etc.

Their updated website continues to give a history of patronages. "The history of patronages is a fascinating historical insight into the British Royal Family and the role they continue to play in The United Kingdom. ... patronages cover a broad spectrum of causes, a symbol of national pride that was so needed then and has carried over to present day. While there is a distinction between patronages and the community work the Duke and Duchess champion individually, there is sometimes overlap based on their interests. Today, Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have chosen their patronages to support charitable organisations that represent causes important to them and that honour the legacy of Her Majesty The Queen." A list of the organizations they will continue to support is also provided on their newly updated website. I think Harry and Meghan will continue to be very busy.
I know they always will be the Queen's family, but now, when they decided to do their own thing they shouldn't be mentioning the Queen every chance they get.
It's pretty obivious they plan to ride on BRF's back. They no longer work for the Queen, but will "honor her legacy" etc. It's just nice PR language to get better deals, as they are "royals".

Canada in general doesn't have a tabloid culture. Paparazzi is not really a thing here either. I live in Vancouver, and a lot of movies and TV shows are made here. We do see reports on celebrities, but they are very different. Reese Witherspoon was here and she raved about a little donut shop on her Insta. That got picked up by the local news. Canada just want people to love us...when celebrities say how much they like the country our media makes sure everyone knows.
Which is why Meghan getting papped twice this past week is unusual.

A couple of the shows I watch are shot in Vancouver, the stars of these show have more media stardom and insta followers than Meghan can ever dream of! And yet i honestly can’t remember ever seeing paparazzi shots of them.

Last edited:
Their website has not been updated since BP’s announcement today other than to replace their ridiculous manifesto with a brief statement. All that you’ve quoted has been there for some time and is not current.

“In line with the statement by Her Majesty the Queen, information on the roles and work of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be updated on this website in due course....”

Gee, so sorry! I see now. Must put in for new brain or at least better reading glasses. So even their private patronages like Sentebale, Invictus or Smart Works may not be organizations they will be able to continue working with even on a private basis.

Ok, I'm still happy for them but maybe with a little less gusto currently.:cool:

I think the person who made the website should show this quote to them - apparently they're not familiar with it.

Yes and they are shooting questions to BP and posting the replies. The reply to the question "Will there be further royal engagements in the UK for the Sussexes" was "Yes".

LaRae
I'm guessing - no, okay, I'm sure - the "further royal engagements" relates to any work until "Spring". When they're out, they're out for good, no royal engagements until stated otherwise by the BP.

I also found it interesting she acknowledged the scrutiny. Didn't expect that.
Yes, it's obvious the media scrutiny came up during the discussions. We know how Harry feels about the press & it's involvement in his mother's death & it's treatment of his wife. I suspect he doesn't want his son to grow up in what Harry apparently sees as a toxic tabloid culture. How the Canadian and U.S. media treat them remains to be seen.

Yeah basically. But what is the alternative? If they dont have money they will have to sing for their supper. Once this charity thing has limited appeal. They will basically just be rich.

Of course because I think if Charles doesn't support them, they wont have enough supporters, once the initial excitement is over, to create this income... esp if they have to stick within the limits of "royal propriety". So poor old C wil problaby have to pay for security, repay the money for Frogmore and shell out for their general expenses.

Actually I just heard Keir Simmons in NBC, who was in the Conference Call with Buckjngham Palace, definitely say that it would be revisited in one year.
I hope that's true. There needs to be some ongoing oversight from the Palace.

I have to say that I’ve been very disappointed by the whole situation. I thought that their engagement and marriage was rushed and wondered if Meghan was aware of what she was getting herself into, but I also saw someone who was really civically and social justice minded who could use the role to do a lot of good in the world. I also hoped that the family would embrace her, since she came from a toxic family situation in which basically the only solid, non-toxic member was her mother. What seems to have happened was that she was probably a bit naive and truly didn’t know what she was getting herself into. The press and tabloid scrutiny was toxic and for the most part extremely unfair. I don’t think she has much in common with the wives/girlfriends of Harry’s set of friends (the posh, polo set), and I wonder how much she has truly been embraced by the royal family behind the scenes. I don’t get the sense that she and William and Kate are close or have much in common, and I wonder if she was essentially told by the powers that be to keep a stiff upper lip in terms of the press, to ignore it and go on with life and duties. So she’s over in the UK with a new baby, the press constantly hounding her negatively, her father and sister spewing lies, with really only her husband as her support system, with few friends and with her mother and closest friends back in North America- no wonder Meghan was unhappy!

I think she was also expecting the role to be more glamorous and important than it actually was. Much of the royal duties aren’t wearing pretty dresses and tiaras and making huge humanitarian changes like Angelina Jolie or George Clooney. It’s lots of mundane tasks like opening hospitals and touring galleries and hugging children and people in wheelchairs. It probably wasn’t the exciting, world-changing life she was hoping for.

So I’m not at all surprised that she wanted to step away, and that Harry, who loves his wife and has probably always wished for the chance to step away himself but never would have done it on his own, supported the decision and indeed helped facilitate it. It’s very sad that this decision has apparently come after major rifts with the rest of the family and his close friends, but I’m hoping that they find whatever they’re looking for in Canada and are able to happily raise their son there in an environment where they feel more comfortable and supported. I hope that they haven’t totally closed the door on royal life, although I think for Meghan and probably Archie and any future children, they will never spend any meaningful time in the UK again. I think that the children will be educated in North America and settle in North America, and will not consider themselves British, but Canadian or American, wherever the family chooses to settle long term.

How the Canadian and U.S. media treat them remains to be seen.

My guess: they’ll get photographed as long as there is money to be made. And the rules that applied to the royals won’t apply to them. Their private time won’t be deemed to be private. They’ll be like any other newsworthy celeb who gets photographed doing their daily activities.

Gee, so sorry! I see now. Must put in for new brain or at least better reading glasses. So even their private patronages like Sentebale, Invictus or Smart Works may not be organizations they will be able to continue working with even on a private basis.

Ok, I'm still happy for them but maybe with a little less gusto currently.:cool:

I think Sentebale will keep Harry-it is in Africa and part of Harry’s private life.
I hope he continues to be part of Invictus, that also is private not royal.

Samantha didn't tell Meghan to go for a baby shower to the US.. nor to do that silly thing over Archie's birth. She is not a nice person but in point of fact her horrible behaviour might have engendered sympathy for Meghan.
I didn't say that Harry and Meghan didn't make mistakes...They did. I just think that Meghan family attacking her gave others liberty to attack her as well. Also, the transition into being a member of the royal family has got to be difficult. When Kate was going through it she was confident in the fact that her family loved her and supported her. Meghan's family just attacked her and embarrassed her. (Except for her mother.)

It was fine to criticize Meghan for use of private jets etc. It's an attack when she is vilified for eating avocados or cradling her baby bump.

Right here:

Update: 18th of January 2020

In line with*the statement*by Her Majesty The Queen, information on the roles and work of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be updated on this website in due course. We appreciate your patience and invite you to explore the site to see the current works of Their Royal Highnesses.

https://sussexroyal.com/about/
I don't understand why they link the Queen's statement as its doesn't really provide any information. Too ashamed to link the Palace's statement?

Reactions: Fem
I hope that's true. There needs to be some ongoing oversight from the Palace.

what is the point? I don't think that the 2 of them are going to come back..the only thing would be if Harry came back alone...

I do disagree because the platform they represented has been taken away. Like working for Amnesty and your voice being important and getting invited to official events and then moving to Vodafone and finding no one has use for you anymore.

I know this will e hard for them but they are only of any use to their organisations because of the platform they gave them.

I'm absolutely sure that other organizations will benefit from their bew commitments.

I have to say that I’ve been very disappointed by the whole situation. I thought that their engagement and marriage was rushed and wondered if Meghan was aware of what she was getting herself into, but I also saw someone who was really civically and social justice minded who could use the role to do a lot of good in the world. I also hoped that the family would embrace her, since she came from a toxic family situation in which basically the only solid, non-toxic member was her mother. What seems to have happened was that she was probably a bit naive and truly didn’t know what she was getting herself into. The press and tabloid scrutiny was toxic and for the most part extremely unfair. I don’t think she has much in common with the wives/girlfriends of Harry’s set of friends (the posh, polo set), and I wonder how much she has truly been embraced by the royal family behind the scenes. I don’t get the sense that she and William and Kate are close or have much in common, and I wonder if she was essentially told by the powers that be to keep a stiff upper lip in terms of the press, to ignore it and go on with life and duties. So she’s over in the UK with a new baby, the press constantly hounding her negatively, her father and sister spewing lies, with really only her husband as her support system, with few friends and with her mother and closest friends back in North America- no wonder Meghan was unhappy!

I think she was also expecting the role to be more glamorous and important than it actually was. Much of the royal duties aren’t wearing pretty dresses and tiaras and making huge humanitarian changes like Angelina Jolie or George Clooney. It’s lots of mundane tasks like opening hospitals and touring galleries and hugging children and people in wheelchairs. It probably wasn’t the exciting, world-changing life she was hoping for.

So I’m not at all surprised that she wanted to step away, and that Harry, who loves his wife and has probably always wished for the chance to step away himself but never would have done it on his own, supported the decision and indeed helped facilitate it. It’s very sad that this decision has apparently come after major rifts with the rest of the family and his close friends, but I’m hoping that they find whatever they’re looking for in Canada and are able to happily raise their son there in an environment where they feel more comfortable and supported. I hope that they haven’t totally closed the door on royal life, although I think for Meghan and probably Archie and any future children, they will never spend any meaningful time in the UK again. I think that the children will be educated in North America and settle in North America, and will not consider themselves British, but Canadian or American, wherever the family chooses to settle long term.

A lot of truth in what you say, however I don’t like the way they went about this. I also think that she probably threatened Harry with divorce which is why the Queen was willing to be considerate. I have a sinking feeling that this won’t end as the fairy tale we all hoped for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom