The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think M & H did win much of what they desired:

a. Keep Titles (I doubt anyone will care that much about HRH)

b. Still Funded by Charles

c. Retain Frogmore cottage

d. Retain some patronages (The ones they want)

e. Release from Royal duties

f. Security most likely to be paid by the public

I’m less interested in that than I am in the idea that the Monarchy lost.

Good riddance to both of them....but I realize that it’s easy for me to say as an American. I wonder what the British public’s reaction will be...

Has there been any clarification of the vague sentence about ceasing use of the HRH titles (in spring)?

1. May the couple continue to use their titles of Prince and Princess?

2. May other parties continue to use the HRH titles on their behalf? For instance, suppose a company books them for a paid speaking engagement. May that company advertise that event as "Meet TRH Prince Harry and Princess Meghan", provided that the Sussexes do not call themselves HRH in their speeches?

I can't see that that would work, them being billed as THR (besides which she's princess Henry Not Princess Meghan). THey are not allowed to use their HRH's esp for anything money making....

Answered my own question it will be Beatrice apparently and if Andrew is o longer on the list either Bea and Eug. Unless they replace with Edward and Anne
It's really academic right now. The Queen no longer travels internationally, so no one needs to do this.

Has there been any clarification of the vague sentence about ceasing use of the HRH titles (in spring)?

2. May other parties continue to use the HRH titles on their behalf? For instance, suppose a company books them for a paid speaking engagement. May that company advertise that event as "Meet TRH Prince Harry and Princess Meghan", provided that the Sussexes do not call themselves HRH in their speeches?

1. Their titles are Duke and Duchess of Sussex. They won’t use their HRHs nor be referred to as Prince. They will be Henry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex.

2. Nope. They can’t. For starters she’s not Princess Meghan, and if Henry gives a jot about the agreements he’s made with his family, he won’t cross that bridge. He can use his peerage.

If he shows up, lol....

I thought the same thing! We’re assuming he shows up to his father’s coronation.

But- I think he has the right to wear the military uniform he earned.

Harry realistically had to know that he was the second child and would be under the same sort of set up as his aunt and uncles. He shouldn’t have been surprised that once they left KP offices, they would fall u nder the BP offices.
It may be that their own court is what his wife wanted and he was convinced it was what they deserved?

But no news regarding any money to be provided to them via the Duchy of Cornwall?. which was essentially their main salary.

The Prince of Wales releases an annual report which breaks down some of where the Duchy money goes so in time we will get a better idea of where the money has gone and if H&M are still getting the same level of funding.

This years stated (https://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/annual-review/2018-2019/income-expenditure-and-staff)

Funding for the activities of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, other expenditure including capital expenditure, and transfer to reserves (5,051)

i.e. £5,051,000 was given over to Cambridge's, Sussex's, capital expenditure and transfered to reserves. How that headline figure was broken down further is unknown to public.

Likely we won't see the same grouping next year so will a) get a better idea of what the Cambridge's get if Sussex's are included and b) if Charles's personal spending (i.e. the "non official expenditure" category) goes up by a significant amount we can assume that is because he is giving the amount to Sussex's but categorising it differently

Last edited:

I would guess no is the answer to both of those questions.

The answer BP gave about their titles was that Harry would be known as Harry, Duke of Sussex not Prince Harry.

I think it's bigger than that. I think he must be a rather vain person like his great great uncle and his uncle to be raised with such a sense of duty and apparently be left nit picking. He was doing a lot of good to many people with his work.

On a family front this is a tradegy. The abdication changed the lives and destinies of the York family and hw leaving too will affect the lives of other members of the royal family. He was close to Eugenie and I have noticed she hasn't touched her personal instagram since Christmas. Probably to avoid questions.

And then the quotes that he is doing this for Charlotte and Louis. The nerve. I doubt either will hold their uncle in high esteem given that they will see the personal affect of this on their father. I can only imagine that William will continue to grow towards his Phillips cousins in the family. He never was that friendly with the York's. But you know they are older now too. Family is so important to them given the lack of outsiders you can trust.

He was doing good, and sadly his actions are a referendum on how he feels about the BRF and the work that it does, that everyone a part of it does. I guess the BRF doesn’t support the right kind of charities...

Harry so going to lose many relationships, but his choice is to insulate himself...and poor Archie; he will never know his great-grandparents, his grandfather, uncle, cousins...

Don’t get me started on this idea that he’s doing this for Charlotte, Louis and future Royals; Harry made this decision for himself.

I thought the same thing! We’re assuming he shows up to his father’s coronation.

He does I am sure but that won't be the ones he wears at the moment. As those are the ones that were of the colonel of his regiments. He could wear his lieutenant one.

I was being facetious - but if he doesn’t, then don’t bother showing up at his funeral..

I can't see that that would work, them being billed as THR (besides which she's princess Henry Not Princess Meghan). THey are not allowed to use their HRH's esp for anything money making....

1. Their titles are Duke and Duchess of Sussex. They won’t use their HRHs nor be referred to as Prince. They will be Henry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex.

2. Nope. They can’t. For starters she’s not Princess Meghan, and if Henry gives a jot about the agreements he’s made with his family, he won’t cross that bridge. He can use his peerage.

I'm aware that the correct billing would be "The Duke and Duchess of Sussex", but particularly in North America, a company booking them may prefer to use "Prince Harry and Princess Meghan" in the promotional material.

My question is whether that will be accepted under the new agreement. The official statement did not clarify whether the titles of Prince and Princess could be used, or whether other parties can continue to use the titles that the Sussexes themselves will stop using.

I'm aware that the correct billing would be "The Duke and Duchess of Sussex", but particularly in North America, a company booking them may prefer to use "Prince Harry and Princess Meghan" in the promotional material.

My question is whether that will be accepted under the new agreement. The official statement did not clarify whether the titles of Prince and Princess could be used, or whether other parties can continue to use the titles that the Sussexes themselves will stop using.

Like those innumerable, improvised a Russian aristocrats when they had to make a buck? I hope not.

I probably exaggerated - I admit I’m a little bitter at them for this whole thing. As to relationships, I just posted an updated link to the Spectator article on the Wales’ - it’s rather revealing. Of course Harry doesn’t mind taking money from his dad..l

Their definition of financial freedom was and is quite amusing. That means: you get to pay for EVERYTHING.

I don’t have a high opinion of how Harry and Meghan have handled this- starting with the interview. It’s really left a bad taste in my mouth. It was incredibly immature. They basically threw a public temper tantrum. And they are in their mid to late 30s for goodness sake! It’s embarrassing. And sad for everyone. They hurt a lot of people.

And now the rest of the family has to deal with the mess they’ve made, long and short term.

Last edited:
I think M & H did win much of what they desired:

a. Keep Titles (I doubt anyone will care that much about HRH)

b. Still Funded by Charles

c. Retain Frogmore cottage

d. Retain some patronages (The ones they want)

e. Release from Royal duties

f. Security most likely to be paid by the public

It’s only a Dukedom now though, nothing Royal. It has lost some luster.

I imagine the funding is to retain some control over them.

But they are paying a hefty sum (and I’m not convinced they will keep it for longterm.)

Maybe, we’ll see who wants to keep them as patrons.

But they said they wanted to continue to collaborate with the Queen and undertake tours for her.

Security was not addressed, so is still an unknown.

Last edited:
Let's be real. The notion of revisiting this arrangement in a year is clearly there so that if the Sussexes find that they aren't quite as successful being out on their own as they think they will be then they can come back and be working royals. It's a tradeoff. I think Harry will find that he's gotten what he wishes in a life of privacy and little media interest. Will this satisfy Meghan? Or will she decide that she wants the media spotlight that comes from being a senior working royal?

Certainly their diehard fans will stick by them through thick and thin but much of the Meghan Effect and the recent Archie effect phenomena will die off quite soon, I expect, now that the Sussexes are, essentially, private citizens.
I doubt their going to get much privacy from the media. In this past alonebmeghan was papped twice! (And I would bet my house those photographers were notified in advance of her location).

He married a dame hungry woman who will not rest even when she finally achieved it.

The review in a year is imo to give Harry enough time to wake up grab the child and get the hell out of dodge back to the U.K. where his family can protect him and his son.

I would guess no is the answer to both of those questions.

The answer BP gave about their titles was that Harry would be known as Harry, Duke of Sussex not Prince Harry.

Thank you! I haven't seen the clarification from Buckingham Palace yet. Could you or anybody else here share a link to the statement?

I was being facetious - but if he doesn’t, then don’t bother showing up at his funeral..

Realistically- I think he would go to his father’s coronation.

But it did pop in my head that he’d have to show up for it to matter what he wore.

Apparently they’re not using The Duke and Duchess of Sussex. As they’re not longer representing the Queen, they are Henry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex.

Why would they prefer to use something that is incorrect and not in anyway in line with Henry and Meghan’s commitment to “uphold the values of Her Majesty”.

The fact that the statement specifically removes their use of the HRH, they’re not going use Prince and Princess. Seeing as one comes with the other...

It’s a only Dukedom now though, nothing Royal.

Shall we then [after Springtime] find posts regarding Henry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex in the 'British Aristocracy' thread ?

Last edited:
Thank you! I haven't seen the clarification from Buckingham Palace yet. Could you or anybody else here share a link to the statement?

Chris Ship asked Buckingham Palace;

Shall we then [after Springtime] find posts regarding the Duke and Duchess of Sussex in the 'British Aristocracy' thread ?

Members of the royal family though...

He does I am sure but that won't be the ones he wears at the moment. As those are the ones that were of the colonel of his regiments. He could wear his lieutenant one.

Captain. His rank when he left the Army was Captain.

When Diana became Diana, Princess of Wales, she continued to be referred to in the US as “ Princess Diana “ ( which she never was BTW) or simply “ Princess Di”, so I guess that gives you a hint.

Diana’s case of course had the complication that her post-divorce style did include the word “ Princess” , which added to the confusion for the American audience. .

US Media already called Meghan “ Meghan , Duchess of Sussex” , so I don’t see a big change here. I am sure “ Duchess Meghan” will continue to pop up a lot too. It will more difficult to adjust to not calling Harry “ Prince Harry” as he has been a prince for his entire life. I wouldn’t be surprised if American media started using “ Duke Harry” or simply stuck with “ Prince” anyway.

A North American company would definitely like to promote them using royal styles. But that’s gone. And I do think it’s a real loss.

I was going to reply to this earlier before the "breaking news" hit. I had been thinking something similar but not with Canada. I figured since they weren't Canadian citizens, the court would probably dismiss any filing and refer them to the British courts. My concern was with the United States. The border is right there and it would be easy for her to take Archie to visit her mom and then file in the US as both would be US citizens. This is where my biggest concern comes in - she files for sole custody of Archie on the basis of Harry being emotionally unstable from the death of his mother and thus not fit to have even joint custody of his son. In a touch of extreme irony the lawyers would cite all the media reports of how emotionally fragile he is during this period. I am afraid she might win and that would absolutely destroy him.
It is some old law that the Queen get the custody, so it wouldn't be easy! And I am sure before they got married the Queen had to explain to her what would happen in the case of a divorce with their kids!

I’m positive the BRF will be fine, for those (not here) thinking this will damage them. I think they’ve handled this well...I DO think HM, Charles and William will need to discuss the future in terms of replacements for H and M

I agree. If the BRF can survive the War of the Wales and the week that Diana died, they most definitely are going to make it through this.

He’s a Major in the army now, Lieutenant Commander in the Navy and Squadron Leader in the Air Force. All from 14th May 2008.

I believe those were honorary ranks— since 2018, not 2008. And those are apparently gone now.

The rank he had when he left the military in 2011 was Captain. He gets to keep that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom