The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it's just the media. I think it's comments by citizens online (on news articles, on this forum, on reddit, on instagram, etc). Sure, a person can learn to ignore all of this - but they do not have to ignore it. Meghan is in show business, she's entitled to retain some of her personality traits surely.

The stuff I'm reading shocks me. I've tried to ignore it (by not coming here much, for example or only lurking). But this "Thank god the evil Meghan is not part of MY family" stuff is really off putting and it wouldn't take my DH more than a few glimpses for him to want it to stop (on my behalf). It's not going to stop, of course, but at least now the British public doesn't have the same "rights" to criticize Harry and Meghan and they can definitely avoid British tabloid press way more than in the past. Just living in Canada has got to help with that.

BTW, I do believe the Canadians have earned their reputation for politeness.

Who’s talking about her losing her personality? It’s just in general not a good thing to read what people have to say about you, whether media or social media...

A lot of charities will drop them. Just the way it goes. He will keep the Invictus Games and Sentable. The commonwealth stuff will go. The rugby said they wanted him but noenhe isn't royal anymore technically. They will want a working one too.

A lot of their charities already signalled their ongoing support so I doubt they will be dropped. I mean they are still big names and now honestly can do even more for their charities in many ways.

The only one I am not as clear about is National Theater. Then again Meghan not being a working royal may be a boon. This is the same org that considered dropping "Royal" from their title until Meghan was named patron so.

BP won’t say if Meghan will be doing any engagements, so it’s quite possible that it will only be Harry.

This is interesting. While Charles will be helping out financially, the money may not be coming from the Duchy. I imagine this is one of the things they are still trying to work out (along with the use of Sussex Royal and their security).

I think that is primarily because the Duchy supports the work of William and Harry and is available for public scrutiny.

A lot of their charities already signalled their ongoing support so I doubt they will be dropped. I mean they are still big names and now honestly can do even more for their charities in many ways.

The only one I am not as clear about is National Theater. Then again Meghan not being a working royal may be a boon. This is the same org that considered dropping "Royal" from their title until Meghan was named patron so.

They will drop them as time goes on. The National want patrons to make them money
Can she make them money? I doubt they have any interest in her advice on acting.

Doesn't surprise me they considered dropping it. The current director is not a royalist.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm delighted the festering Boil is lanced, that HMQ hasn't 'rolled over' and submitted to their blackmail and they can go off into whatever life they can cobble together.

My sole concern is for those they leave behind, their PAIN and hurt feelings, their increased workload, their fears for the future...But [in the long run] I believe they, and us are 'WELL RID'..

I think that is primarily because the Duchy supports the work of William and Harry and is available for public scrutiny.

They will drop them as time goes on. The National want patrons to make them money
Can she make them money? I doubt they have any interest in her advice on acting.

Doesn't surprise me they considered dropping it. The current director is not a royalist.

As I said, interest in these two will still be extremely high. And they can FR more aggressively for their charities now that they are not tied to the same rules as royals.

We will see of course.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/01/17/meghan-wanted-a-deferential-press-we-said-no/

What caught my interests about this interview was the part of paparazzi pictures of the royals posted around the world. In the two years since the engagement i don’t think I have seen any of those kind of pictures of Meghan and Harry, not even when they dated to be honest. It be interesting to know if there are paparazzi pics of them that we are not aware of.
If so, Meghan thinking she now safe outside of the protection of the royal family.. well in the last week we had two! - that I know of- Paparazzi photos of her (at least one makes me believe we’re called by her and her PR, because how would they know she’d be there?! The second, actually had an embargo!! Placed on it, which again looks a bit suspeciois).

Their instagram shows only ghe Queen s statment, seems as if they will take time to recover from this.

I don’t see how Meghan and Harry have really lost out in this. Apart from repaying back the money from Frogmore which I doubt they actually will find it all, it reckon Charles will help but regardless they still get independence (which they wanted), they get to step away from the Royal life (which they wanted) and they won’t be funded by the Soverign Grant (which they wanted).
In regards to the HRH, they can’t use it in commercial terms, but still get to be called HRH and use it and haven’t lost their place in succession or hierarchy.
So I’m not really sure how people on social media and the media are saying that They Queen has shown them’ or thar ‘Buckingham Palace has given payback’ because H&M pretty much got all they wanted?
Unless I’m missing something?

I seriously doubt this will happen. The BP statement is very clear. Harry and Meghan are no longer working royals and will not be doing any work for the Queen.

We weren't talking about work..if you go back and read what I was responding to...

LaRae

As I said, interest in these two will still be extremely high. And they can FR more aggressively for their charities now that they are not tied to the same rules as royals.

We will see of course.

I do disagree because the platform they represented has been taken away. Like working for Amnesty and your voice being important and getting invited to official events and then moving to Vodafone and finding no one has use for you anymore.

I know this will e hard for them but they are only of any use to their organisations because of the platform they gave them.

:previous: This is both an Olympics year and an election year for the US. Good luck getting basic news to cover you past Memorial Day. I'm sure entertainment news will include them but as the novelty wears off that will trickle off as well. If I were Meghan I'd be bracing for the inevitable VF article---they launched her so you know they will run a follow up covering "what went wrong". Ouch.

Yes absolutely! You (and the person you were replying to) are absolutely right. The story itself has not made CBS-Los Angeles or KTLA (does anyone in California watch Fox-nationwide?)

California bans altogether taking pictures for publication if a child is in the picture, and Malibu has its own local policies as well. Furthermore, Meghan and Harry just won't be all that paparazzi-worthy (except to British tabloids, again - which is a British problem and perhaps it's time for a little cancel culture on the other side of the pond?)

At any rate, at least if the Sussexes come to California, they won't be surrounded by people who read about the Royals in tabloids and who surely do not care about most of the things Meghan has done wrong (like hold her baby in a position some people find awkward). I am the only person I know who follows this at all and everyone's eyes glaze over (even in the history or political science department) when I try to bring it up.

Canada is probably an even better place for laying low, physically (but they do have more news about Royals on a day to day basis).

Peter Hunt, ex-BBCer, thinks M and H win and the Monarchy “lost - big time”. I’m like, huh? Ok, they do have to figure out who else will become working royals, but the institution is and will be just fine.

I suppose he could mean in what Harry and Meghan brought to the royal family themselves, as people. They’re very charismatic, personable, championed some great causes. They generated publicity. They were an asset- and they are gone. It’s also a loss to William in terms of expected support. The BRF will be fine. But this is a loss. ( I don’t consider it inevitable that they will add working members of the family though. Perhaps.)

I guess it can be seen as a win for Harry and Meghan if money making opportunities work out how they want. If they get what they want from the media- good luck there. But- whether this is a a true win probably can’t be assessed for a very long time until you can gage long- term impact.

And this is still a loss for them- they wanted something the monarchy wouldn’t provide.

The BBC reporter who was on conference call with Palace before the statement was given has said they were told the whole "deal" will be reviewed after a year to see if it is working for all sides.

In terms of titles etc the Queen and Palace would have looked bad to have stripped them of HRH (which is often compared to Diana's loss of same style) so an agreement not to use it is best middle road most likely.

Well finally we know the future for the couple. They will in effect be private people, while still being "celebrities".

I think the palace have been looking at the polling of public thoughts and have in many ways met the public expectations:

*repaying the cost of Frogmore and now paying rent on it
*no use of HRH styles but with the option to use them if required and without them being "stripped" of them as Diana was (the perception of wihc the Palace wanted to avoid)
*no public funding (Although the use of Duchy funds has not being commented upon - I suspect thats because its a-not yet decided what will happen with it and b-its seen as Charles private income so we will have to see how the PoW annual report lays it out in May/June time)
*security - well they were never going to comment upon it but given Andrew is said to be loosing some if not all of his police protection I suspect over time the use of "official protection" will be diminished

This is IMO the best solution (though I would add the caveat that they should also not use "SussexRoyal" and use "Sussex" or something else entirely) for all. It makes clear they have not been stripped of royal status, are still members of the royal family in the sense of being part of the sovereign's family, but are expected not to use royal status in this new venture.

As for timing - this fits within the Queen's supposed desire to see it settled "within days" and also, remember most people in the UK read newspapers at the weekend and many Sunday editions are effectively separate publications with their own staff which would cover this story whenever it came - much better to get it done now so the papers can go mad for it over the weekend and into next week with the hope that by this time next week there will be a new focus for the media and the monarchy can in effect move on.

I suspect there are, as was reported, a few sticking issues, a lot of reporters saying the statement was less than they expected in terms of detail, so I bet those undecided issues will be sorted later but to met HM's demand on timing and to get over the headlines BP decided they had enough to show what direction they were taking so announce and add clarity as needed later.

Good points - and I agree that they shouldn’t use Sussex ROYAL.

A part of me is glad, even if the public isn’t thrilled, that Charles is going to at least in part find his son; he wants to sure they are settled, secure and happy. As a bonus, I suppose, this makes it easier for Harry and Meghan to invest in ventures purely because they believe in them and not mostly because of money.

I wonder if they do not want to use it, as it restricts them on what they can do regarding financial deals.

Oh I think that is the reason 100% - I suspect they were told if you use HRH you can't do your own deals

I don’t see how Meghan and Harry have really lost out in this. Apart from repaying back the money from Frogmore which I doubt they actually will find it all, it reckon Charles will help but regardless they still get independence (which they wanted), they get to step away from the Royal life (which they wanted) and they won’t be funded by the Soverign Grant (which they wanted).
In regards to the HRH, they can’t use it in commercial terms, but still get to be called HRH and use it and haven’t lost their place in succession or hierarchy.
So I’m not really sure how people on social media and the media are saying that They Queen has shown them’ or thar ‘Buckingham Palace has given payback’ because H&M pretty much got all they wanted?

Their website stated one thing. The reality is very different.

What they got- they would have gotten without this public drama.

I doubt they are really “happy”. This wasn’t their plan. They told us what they wanted.

What they got- their family wouldn’t have denied them anyway- the move and financial freedom.

The public negotiating tactic failed.

Even if they are happy, no one else is. Even if the Crown “won”, the personal pain involved is incredibly sad. Harry and Meghan are thrilled to be getting away from everyone ...father, brother, cousins, aunts, uncles...I deliberately left out his grandmother.

The BBC reporter who was on conference call with Palace before the statement was given has said they were told the whole "deal" will be reviewed after a year to see if it is working for all sides.

This is very sensible and smart imo.

they have been told they can't represent the queen.. that they can't use their HRH's.. Peoeple will know that Charles is the one who will have to fudn them and pay for Frogmore.. they are not going to do it.. so their financial independence is a myth. They may find that stepping away from the Royal life isn't much fun.. at least for Harry...

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/01/17/meghan-wanted-a-deferential-press-we-said-no/

What caught my interests about this interview was the part of paparazzi pictures of the royals posted around the world. In the two years since the engagement i don’t think I have seen any of those kind of pictures of Meghan and Harry, not even when they dated to be honest. It be interesting to know if there are paparazzi pics of them that we are not aware of.
If so, Meghan thinking she now safe outside of the protection of the royal family.. well in the last week we had two! - that I know of- Paparazzi photos of her (at least one makes me believe we’re called by her and her PR, because how would they know she’d be there?! The second, actually had an embargo!! Placed on it, which again looks a bit suspeciois).

I as all others do not know but don't you think the interest of the british tabloids will be as high as before? Haven't they probably sent some " journalists, photographers or paparazzi" to Canada or will do so as soon as the couple has bought a house somewhere?

I as all others do not know but don't you think the interest of the british tabloids will be as high as before? Haven't they probably sent some " journalists, photographers or paparazzi" to Canada or will do so as soon as the couple has bought a house somewhere?

If they retain an interest, the coverage wont be kind....

I think it will be for a while. And then it will stop. And if thry have a other baby they will talk about it. And always dragged out in drama for the royalfamily. People will just forget about them and given the absolute venom I have seen on the media over the past few months I think that is a good thing for everyone. Archie will probably be part of those where are they now articles in years to come. He won't know the Cambridges very well so I can't see him invited to family things. Harry probably but not him.

I suppose he could mean in what Harry and Meghan brought to the royal family themselves, as people. They’re very charismatic, personable, championed some great causes. They generated publicity. They were an asset- and they are gone. It’s also a loss to William in terms of expected support. The BRF will be fine. But this is a loss. ( I don’t consider it inevitable that they will add working members of the family though. Perhaps.)

I guess it can be seen as a win for Harry and Meghan if money making opportunities work out how they want. If they get what they want from the media- good luck there. But- whether this is a a true win probably can’t be assessed for a very long time until you can gage long- term impact.

And this is still a loss for them- they wanted something the monarchy wouldn’t provide.

Oh I agree in that sense, yes, but his tweet was seriously overstating it. The BRF will carry on as they always do - and absolutely, William has lost expected support (emotional as well as working-wise). It won’t be easy, but it’s hardly a body blow they can’t recover from,. The loss for me is more as to the family - Charles can’t visit his son, so now essentially he’ll only see him on the rare occasions Harry is in the UK. That goes for the Queen as well.

I really hate thinking of H and M becoming their own business...I’m just not a fan of it, it seems so tawdry

Even if they are happy, no one else is. Even if the Crown “won”, the personal pain involved is incredibly sad. Harry and Meghan are thrilled to be getting away from everyone ...father, brother, cousins, aunts, uncles...I deliberately left out his grandmother.

For sure- no one else is happy. Tired, stressed, disappointed, hurt, etc. Still- I think happy would be an over- statement for Harry and Meghan. This wasn’t their vision either. They got some- but hardly all- of what they wanted. And how well this will work is debatable- especially in the long term.

I’m not sure they’re “thrilled” to get away from everyone but the Queen. Maybe, but the only one in the family there’s known to be friction with is William. Though I’m sure their relationship with Charles has taken a big hit with this mess. Possibly the rest of the family. It’s hard to imagine ANYONE in the family is happy about the public mess they’ve made. Their friends likely have their own POV too- especially ones they share with William.

Last edited:
I wish Buckingham Palace would give us clear guidance on Harry and Meghan’s titles and styles so we know how to call them. For starters, I don’t know yet if Harry is still using the titular dignity of Prince prefixed to his name ( as he is legally entitled the) or if he has also voluntarily relinquished that title along with the HRH style.

I could well see the paparazzi being worse. Harry and Meghan will likely still sell.

And they lose the royal protection deals. Off time was usually off limits for royal photos, except for sporting events. That’s gone. They’re fair game imo.

The National Theatre was not very happy that Meghan dropped in for a visit like everything was normal and business as usual, thendropped that bombshell the same evening.
Also, do they really want a non-British patron who doesn't really live in the country?

I could well see the paparazzi being worse. Harry and Meghan will likely still sell.

And they lose the royal protection deals. Off time was usually off limits for royal photos, except for sporting events. That’s gone. They’re fair game imo.

Well that is what happened with Diana. They aren't Diana and I honestly think that unless they continue to court the media. They will loose interest.

Oh I agree in that sense, yes, but his tweet was seriously overstating it. The BRF will carry on as they always do - and absolutely, William has lost expected support (emotional as well as working-wise). It won’t be easy, but it’s hardly a body blow they can’t recover from,. The loss for me is more as to the family - Charles can’t visit his son, so now essentially he’ll only see him on the rare occasions Harry is in the UK. That goes for the Queen as well.

I really hate thinking of H and M becoming their own business...I’m just not a fan of it, it seems so tawdry

Agreed.

The family aspect of this is all quite sad, for sure.

I only only imagine how the BRF feels about them being their own business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom