The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, nothing changes until Spring 2020. The titles and use of their HRHs don't take effect until Spring 2020.

Nothing to do with not willing to give it up....

Maybe. I think they will keep it like explained, calll themselves HRH but not when working. If not, this is just another teenage behaviour if them, not surprisingly TMO.

I wonder how well all that will go when they are no longer using HRH and are probaby deterred from anything controversial or too commercial.

Probably not well. They would get work for the year as thrm being a novelity perhaps but after that not at all. Let's be honest. She was a small time actress whose big claim was she addressed the UN. So.did Princess Eugenie and no.one went mad about it and he really isn't that bright without anyone to do the backroom work.

It wasn’t much of a deal at all really. What they got out of the “deal” wasn’t going to be denied them:

Harry and Meghan were never going to be forced to live in the UK full time. If they wanted to make their own money- financial freedom- no one would say no. There would be anger, hurt, disappointment, but not refusal.

The issue was them wanting to have their cake and eat it too. That was denied.

This. Honestly, I only care about them now as it relates to Harry returning home and seeing family. I’m sure they’ll pop up on ET and other entertainment programs, but I won’t be interested.

I’ll be honest, unless H and M come to NYC, I don’t see any NY papers covering them. Even then, I don’t think it will be a big deal. Same for other cities. The U.S. is huge, and we’ve got our own issues to deal with, heaven knows. The only media who will be covering them regularly will be entertainment media, unlike in the UK, where they were real news. So, I wonder just how disappointed they’ll be when they see how NOT a big deal they are here

Maybe. I think they will keep it like explained, calll themselves HRH but not when working. If not, this is just another teenage behaviour if them, not surprisingly TMO.

Then what's the point in them agreeing to not use their HRHs, then use them when not working? The official statement literally says that everything listed will come into effect in Spring 2020.

Beatrice and Eugenie might not been so keen to become full time working royals. They may well both be hoping to start families soon, and they may not welcome the additional press scrutiny. I think they'd both do a great job, but they might not want to.

I wonder how well all that will go when they are no longer using HRH and are probaby deterred from anything controversial or too commercial.

Probably the courtiers know Meghan better and with this she might be off the stage very quickly and they expect Harry to be back ?I do not know but think just anotherndivorcedmPeincemdoesmnot threat anybody in BP and H without Meghan seems to be much better than H with M !

I re-read the statement from the queen. HM has not kicked the Sussexes out which I imagine is disappointing to some. They are still part of the family. HM recognized the two years of scrutiny impacting them (I think she threw shade at the British media). Acknowledging Meghan's contributions was a good touch; but it seems if this was done a year ago we would not be here. Well what's done is done. I wish the Sussexes strength and health and a good life.

I think this depends on what you mean by "kicked them out." The Sussexes proudly declared a week ago to the world that they would be working part-time in "collaboration" with The Queen, particularly that they would be undertaking foreign tours, etc.

The Queen just issued a statement that they "can no longer" represent her. So yes, she just kicked them out of their official role about a week after they dramatically unveiled their plans to work alongside her, in a tone that to many suggested they were doing her some kind of favor.

Of course she hasn't "kicked them out" of the family, though. Whether one thinks they've shown themselves out is another matter.

Does this mean they are still Royals without the HRH? Do they have to bow/curtsy to Bea and Eug? Have they lost their place in the line of succession?

It wasn’t much of a deal at all really. What they got out of the “deal” wasn’t going to be denied them:

Harry and Meghan were never going to be forced to live in the UK full time. If they wanted to make their own money- financial freedom- no one would say no. There would be anger, hurt, disappointment, but not refusal.

The issue was them wanting to have their cake and eat it too. That was denied.

I meant that the queen's been pretty tough on them.. has not allowed anything. they will problaby be supported financially but that was always likely to happen.. But it feels like they are just out... and I wonder how it will feel once the novelty has worn off...

Agreed. They’ll be fine. It’s a 1,000 year business.

The sudden loss of 3 royals will have to handled. Their short and long term planning will have to be revised somehow.

This leaves William with absolutely no support from his own generation. Unless they make a change. That’s huge.

Huge! It needs to be dealt with right away, not when the Queen is ill...preparations must be made. It’s an enormous burden on everyone ...I can’t even think in terms of William because that’s hard - he won’t have his father, which will be wrenching enough, and he won’t have his brother.

Agreed. They’ll be fine. It’s a 1,000 year business.

The sudden loss of 3 royals will have to handled. Their short and long term planning will have to be revised somehow.

This leaves William with absolutely no support from his own generation. Unless they make a change. That’s huge.

Yep. Which is a hugh worry and gap. Someone needs to open hospitals. I am being flippant and we don't need as many as we once did. But we still need people to show up.

I do not think the HRH was taken away but rather they asked not to use it. It impacted on their position 're making money.

I was afraid it would come to this..I hoped they could work out something more part time senario but this is probably the best for everyone. No reason for the public to carryon, they are going to be doing their own thing (but seems like there will be some sort of agreement as to what since that line is in there about upholding the Queen's standard or whatever the word was).

I'm glad they are keeping their patronages and plan to still attend certain events (Trooping etc). It's good they are able to keep Frogmore for their personal use and that they worked out the finances (rent etc) for that. It's a good gesture that they are going to repay the funds used to do renovations.

I expect Harry to be back in Canada pretty soon now that this has been released. Will be interesting to see what they do next.

I note they are (as many have mentioned) not using the HRH but aren't being stripped of it...that was interesting.

LaRae

Beatrice and Eugenie might not been so keen to become full time working royals. They may well both be hoping to start families soon, and they may not welcome the additional press scrutiny. I think they'd both do a great job, but they might not want to.

I would imagine what they want wiuld be the last thing on anyone's mind. The York's had a far more stable childhood than W and H and are seemingly very dutiful and supportive of the Queen. They already do a lot of unheralded work most evenings going to reception at BP.

Well this gave some needed clarity. I do think it was wrong to strip Harry of his military appointments. I am pleased they still retain their titles even if they are not using them. Also was a smart PR move to pay back costs for FC.

I also feel like all of this could change when Charles ascends. I feel they are leaving the door open for them to return to being working royals once Charles is king. Maybe it won't be needed or wanted but I think the door was left open intentionally.

Well, Harry is no longer representing the Queen. So, loss of military appointments is part of the price he pays. It is what it is.

Yes- it is good PR- for everyone- to pay back the costs.

I don’t think it’s so much Charles ascending that would magically change things for them. It’s whether this arrangement still works for all parties.

Probably not well. They would get work for the year as thrm being a novelity perhaps but after that not at all. Let's be honest. She was a small time actress whose big claim was she addressed the UN. So.did Princess Eugenie and no.one went mad about it and he really isn't that bright without anyone to do the backroom work.

Yes, thank you. I am surprised how many here mentioned Meghans UN work, so many c-list actors or celebs do the same, it is not thaaat special! And often it is limited but remains in their vita as if they are still part of it......
The same with Meghans trainee time at the embassy, nothing so special.
I know at least 5 young friend of my children who have done trainee at an embassy.

I was afraid it would come to this..I hoped they could work out something more part time senario but this is probably the best for everyone. No reason for the public to carryon, they are going to be doing their own thing (but seems like there will be some sort of agreement as to what since that line is in there about upholding the Queen's standard or whatever the word was).

I'm glad they are keeping their patronages and plan to still attend certain events (Trooping etc). It's good they are able to keep Frogmore for their personal use and that they worked out the finances (rent etc) for that. It's a good gesture that they are going to repay the funds used to do renovations.

I expect Harry to be back in Canada pretty soon now that this has been released. Will be interesting to see what they do next.

I note they are (as many have mentioned) not using the HRH but aren't being stripped of it...that was interesting.

LaRae
probably Charles will repay the costs for Frogmore. and it was unlikely they would be stripped of the HRH.. but "not using it" is significant...

LaRae

I doubt they will go to any trooping of the colours. He would have to appear in nonmilitary for a start. No I think they will go to family events but no public events. Do Beatrices wedding, funerals. Other weddings. Thanksgiving ceremonies and stuff.

I presume too he isn't going to be a counsellor of state? Who will replace him?

Last edited:
Yes, thank you. I am surprised how many here mentioned Meghans UN work, so many c-list actors or celebs do the same, it is not thaaat special! And often it is limited but remains in their vita as if they are still part of it......
The same with Meghans trainee time at the embassy, nothing so special.
I know at least 5 young friend of my children who have done trainee at an embassy.

She was actually denied a UN role which upset her quite a bit apparently.

Debatable, depending on how you look at Prince Charles paying for them. :whistling:

I agree with you, Lumutqueen when I look at the statement by the Palace:

"They will no longer receive public funds for Royal duties." and "The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have shared their wish to repay Sovereign Grant expenditure for the refurbishment of Frogmore Cottage, which will remain their UK family home." - the first is about receivin g money from the Sovereign Grant, the second is about a "wish", but not if it will happen at all! Because the renovation was not done with taxpayer's money but with their landlord's money to make the house ready for letting. It was build in 1680, I think, so surely had to have renovations done to keep it in good condition. And why should they pay for that? And paying rent who knows who does that? Could be the queen from her private money as she gifted the house to them.

But, as I have said before - Harry is Charles' son and has a right to take support from his father, if his father wants him to have it.

The Crown always win. Think about it.
As long as they are, apparently, leaving the perks behind them, they can do whatver they want .
Everyone can be happy now, the BRF is safe and sound and Harry and Meghan fans can now enjoy them freely .
Rejoice, my friends ! You can have the Sussexes for you alone, without those petty Royal watchers bothering you with concepts like "duties" and 'contitution".
A win win situation at all levels. Champagne !

On their Instagram the Sussexes posted the Queen's statement, but not the Palace's. I'm embarassed for them

probably Charles will repay the costs for Frogmore. and it was unlikely they would be stripped of the HRH.. but "not using it" is significant...

Not using it was pretty inevitable since they wanted financial freedom imo.

Oh my goodness!! They are still referring to themselves as "Their Royal Highnesses" when they can't use that anymore? I am assuming that this was published after the agreement was published today, but I hope I am wrong.

They can use their styles till they move officially in spring. They are still considered "working Royals".

I doubt they will go to any trooping of the colours. He would have to appear in nonmilitary for a start. No I think they will go to family events but no public events. Do Beatrices wedding, funerals. Other weddings. Thanksgiving ceremonies and stuff.

Some RR's are saying (they have been asking BP questions) they will still do engagements for the Queen AND they are expected to be at the Trooping etc.

Now it remains to be seen how that all plays out.

LaRae

The Crown always win. Think about it.
As long as they are, apparently, leaving the perks behind them, they can do whatver they want .
Everyone can be happy now, the BRF is safe and sound and Harry and Meghan fans can now enjoy them freely .
Rejoice, my friends ! You can have the Sussexes for you alone, without those petty Royal watchers bothering you with concepts like "duties" and 'contitution".
A win win situation at all levels. Champagne !

I don’t think it’s cause to celebrate. HM and Charles are suffering personally, and from a practical point of view, the BRF is experiencing a severe shortage of working royals. Archie is losing his extended family ..so is Harry (his father, brother, etc..), but that’s his choice

Answered my own question it will be Beatrice apparently and if Andrew is o longer on the list either Bea and Eug. Unless they replace with Edward and Anne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom