The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I re-read the statement from the queen. HM has not kicked the Sussexes out which I imagine is disappointing to some. They are still part of the family. HM recognized the two years of scrutiny impacting them (I think she threw shade at the British media). Acknowledging Meghan's contributions was a good touch; but it seems if this was done a year ago we would not be here. Well what's done is done. I wish the Sussexes strength and health and a good life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Per ITV

Clarification on the HRH style: both Harry and Meghan will RETAIN them but they will no longer USE them. They will be known as

• Harry, The Duke of Sussex
• Meghan, The Duchess of Sussex

Per ITV

Clarification on the HRH style: both Harry and Meghan will RETAIN them but they will no longer USE them. They will be known as

HRH bit I’ve understood from the get go. It’s the Sussex bit I don’t understand, why is the title coming after their name? It’s not how it works for non royal dukedoms.

I’m positive the BRF will be fine, for those (not here) thinking this will damage them. I think they’ve handled this well...I DO think HM, Charles and William will need to discuss the future in terms of replacements for H and M

Excellent decision by Her Majesty.

Her Majesty certainly has a wry sense of humour to agree to the line about being proud of Meghan so quickly becoming one of the family...

The York sisters are the only ones around who can possibly be called upon to pick up some slack. Someone has to be around to open hospitals in Sheffield and village fetes in Shropshire.

Per ITV

The LPs of 1917 say that he is entitled to use the style of Royal Highness and the titular dignity of Prince prefixed to his name. Is he relinquishing the use of the title of Prince also ?

It is all very confusing.

Louise and James don't have royal titles.

I believe they have them legally- as they are entitled to them as grandchildren of the monarch- they just don’t use them. Sort of like Harry and Meghan now, but without the drama, pain and chaos.

Whatever you thing of their parents
The York daughters have done very well for themselves. In fact in our house when we see them I reviewed we often say. How did those parents produce those girls.

Louise and James don't have royal titles.

It is sad how the actions of parents are so often used to judge the children. Other than not always being terribly sensible in their fashion choices (a 'sin' I suffer from myself), what dreadful mistakes have Beatrice and Eugenie made?

I can't see Edward and Sophie wanting Louise and James to become senior royals, but time will tell...

Per ITV

But the recent change of their website shows already they are using it and not willing to give it up.
I think they should not use it for monetary things but can call themselves HRHs likentheymdo.

Well this gave some needed clarity. I do think it was wrong to strip Harry of his military appointments. I am pleased they still retain their titles even if they are not using them. Also was a smart PR move to pay back costs for FC.

And I am sad they will no longer be doing any royal duties. I am a bit confused as to how being VP and Pres of QCT isn't representing her majesty though?

I also feel like all of this could change when Charles ascends. I feel they are leaving the door open for them to return to being working royals once Charles is king. Maybe it won't be needed or wanted but I think the door was left open intentionally.

I am excited for the work Harry and Meghan will continue to do though. I think it will be a very exciting time for them this year.

It is sad how the actions of parents are so often used to judge the children. Other than not always being terribly sensible in their fashion choices (a 'sin' I suffer from myself), what dreadful mistakes have Beatrice and Eugenie made?

I can't see Edward and Sophie wanting Louise and James to become senior royals, but time will tell...

I am nit judging them by their parents but think this would be a bad choice, too.

This new arrangement for the Sussexes will start in the spring when they launch their new foundation. Until then they WILL do more royal engagements and Meghan will return to ����...BUT in a year’s time the whole thing will be reviewed by Queen, Charles and William

So they basically giving them a year to test run this and then what... if they good they can keep going but if they want back in then they can return? Is this why they not being stripped of their titles. For the "just in case."

Also Meghan and Harry will continue doing engagements until the spring.

I am confused...where in the official announcement does it say they are being given a year to test out?

In the short term, for the next year while this agreement with the Sussexes is under trial, I think we can expect to see a bit more official engagements from the York sisters. If the Sussexes don't return to the fold in 2021 then I suspect that Bea and Eugenie will definitely become working royals, with their spouses doing a few here and there, similar to the level of participation we see from Tim Lawrence. The Wessex kids simply are too young still to take anything on for another 10-15 years. The only option that exists to cover the window we have until the Cambridges are old enough are the Yorks.

Last edited:
Slap it up then I say! They wanted to have their cake and eat it too and have been shown that they can’t just stamp their foot and have it.

I wonder will they appear at Trooping the Colour?

What wrok are they going to do? If they are no longer representing the queen or taking public funds - and are giving up the use of the HRH.. what are they going to do?

I believe they have them legally- as they are entitled to them as grandchildren of the monarch- they just don’t use them. Sort of like Harry and Meghan now, but without the drama, pain and chaos.

It depends whether you believe LPs are needed to remove the titles, or The Queens will is enough. According to some, when The Queen announced they wouldn't have their titles, that was it, they were gone.

Per ITV

Max Foster from CNN replying to comments on this topic says

"As they have opted out as working members of the royal family and will no longer be representing The Queen"

"Their choice. They no longer have formal roles so it’s the new informal them"

Slap it up then I say! They wanted to have their cake and eat it too and have been shown that they can’t just stamp their foot and have it.

I wonder will they appear at Trooping the Colour?

I think HM and Charles will find some way to show themselves as a happy united family at other occasions soon to come, if H&M agree.
Trooping the Colour, we will see if the people and media calm down about the whole thing, but to me this seems too much at the moment. And I am not sure, as Harry is expected to stop all military events, what will he do? Charles, Ann and William are in uniform that day,...

But the recent change of their website shows already they are using it and not willing to give it up.
I think they should not use it for monetary things but can call themselves HRHs likentheymdo.

Again, nothing changes until Spring 2020. The titles and use of their HRHs don't take effect until Spring 2020.

Nothing to do with not willing to give it up....

What wrok are they going to do? If they are no longer representing the queen or taking public funds - and are giving up the use of the HRH.. what are they going to do?

I think that she can probably go back to acting, politics, etc. and he could do public speaking.

this is a much tougher deal than I expected..

It wasn’t much of a deal at all really. What they got out of the “deal” wasn’t going to be denied them:

Harry and Meghan were never going to be forced to live in the UK full time. If they wanted to make their own money- financial freedom- no one would say no. There would be anger, hurt, disappointment, but not refusal.

The issue was them wanting to have their cake and eat it too. That was denied.

I think that she can probably go back to acting, politics, etc. and he could do public speaking.

I wonder how well all that will go when they are no longer using HRH and are probaby deterred from anything controversial or too commercial.

Excellent decision by Her Majesty.

Her Majesty certainly has a wry sense of humour to agree to the line about being proud of Meghan so quickly becoming one of the family...

The York sisters are the only ones around who can possibly be called upon to pick up some slack. Someone has to be around to open hospitals in Sheffield and village fetes in Shropshire.

As said before, the whole system needs a lot of chnage, not every fly needs a royal patronage in the future...
Charles will have to do a lot to start these processes , think he has already behind closed doors.

From ITV's Chris Ship

@chrisshipitv Note how the very first line from the Queen was: “Following many months of conversations and more recent discussions...” I hear there were many different drafts of that line So who was telling the truth last week when the Royal Family claimed to be ‘blindsided’ by the statement?

Yeah... I am sure more questions will be raised soon enough.

How many times has this to be repeated, the RF knew of H& M wish to make changes, they were asked to keep it out of the public domain until decisions had been made. They ignored the queens request to keep this within the family and blindsided the family with the statement they issued followed by the website.

In the short term, for the next year while this agreement with the Sussexes is under trial, I think we can expect to see a bit more official engagements from the York sisters. If the Sussexes don't return to the fold in 2021 then I suspect that Bea and Eugenie will definitely become working royals, with their spouses doing a few here and there, similar to the level of participation we see from Tim Lawrence. The Wessex kids simply are too young still to take anything on for another 10-15 years. The only option that exists to cover the window we have until the Cambridges are old enough are the Yorks.

I dont think we will see the Yorks step up. I do think we will see more prominent roles for Ed and Sophie.

They were blind sided by the public announcement was my take. Harry and Meghan did that on their own- obviously before anything was worked out. They aren’t stepping back- they are stepping out.

The website had to be an appalling shock - it had no basis in reality. At all.

Which is why they should have shut up. They announced what they wanted and presented it as a done deal. It really is embarrassing.

Absolutely. It was one-upmanship when they threw down the gauntlet.

Noone discusses so far that Her Majesty stated: "
"I recognise the challenges they have experienced as a result of intense scrutiny over the last two years and support their wish for a more independent life.
I want to thank them for all their dedicated work across this country, the Commonwealth and beyond, and am particularly proud of how Meghan has so quickly become one of the family."

So it was the media who made her flee and then both were kicked out. Still being part of the family but no longer "Royals". They should now use Mountbatten-Windsor as I think Windsor is more known than Sussex.

Oh Meghan, what did you do to your Harry. For I doubt he would have left his job at the palace alone. And he will find that he is just as interesting as the late Duke of Windsor was, but has none of the "Royal" perks anymore. But: they are both adults and have enough money for a more private life. They surely will still get money from Charles, that wasn't a topic in the statements and IMHO is just as he is Charles' son and why should they live on Diana's inheritance alone??

I’m positive the BRF will be fine, for those (not here) thinking this will damage them. I think they’ve handled this well...I DO think HM, Charles and William will need to discuss the future in terms of replacements for H and M

Agreed. They’ll be fine. It’s a 1,000 year business.

The sudden loss of 3 royals will have to handled. Their short and long term planning will have to be revised somehow.

This leaves William with absolutely no support from his own generation. Unless they make a change. That’s huge.

Well, now I think I understand why the staffing at Frogmore changed this week. Am I understanding that Harry and Meghan are required to pay back the cost of refurbishing?
That's going to pinch their house hunting fund in NA, or alternately, reduce the money they get from Charles if he decides to cover it himself and withhold the amount from what he might have given them from his own income.

I think this is a both a wakeup call and a lifeline for Harry and his son.

Meghan, I believe is making her own plans right about now.

Wow.

Obviously it won’t come fro their own pocket, so it’s an easy concession for them.

Meghan already had plans. Now she is going to have to revise them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom