The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless Henry and Meghan request it, I don't think they will ever lose their HRH. The Queen and Charles just simply wouldn't do it. I think this period until next year is to see if they actually like the situation they've landed themselves in. If they don't, they reverse the clock. :ermm:

Yes that's how it looks to me. Harry is still HRH The Duke of Sussex & Meghan is still HRH The Duchess of Sussex. They just can't use the HRH as non-working royals as per the statement:
"The Sussexes will not use their HRH titles as they are no longer working members of the Royal Family."

Hmm - scratching my head now that HRH Princess Beatrice & HRH Princess Eugenie aren't working members - they ARE HRH but do they USE their HRH?

It was said. In the detail. Everything will be in line with the ideals of her majesty. That isnt commercial projects.

There is nothing in the detail to confirm that, in fact the opposite when the RRs are confirming that there will be no checks and balances on Henry and Meghans commercial ventures. The statement says that

"the Sussexes have made clear that everything they do will continue to uphold the values of Her Majesty".

What does this mean- that they are officially no longer royal? I’m guessing that the Duke of Sussex title will die out with Harry.
They are still royal, but not participating royals. Archie will be the next duke. Only parliament could remove the title.

Oh my goodness!! They are still referring to themselves as "Their Royal Highnesses" when they can't use that anymore? I am assuming that this was published after the agreement was published today, but I hope I am wrong.
The way I read the statement from the palace, the change in the use of the HRH style is part of the "new model" and isn't in effect yet, so it's correct for a statement today to use it.

So what does this mean for Eugenie and Beatrice? I can see them quietly taking up more duties. And I can see them going all out for her wedding now. Big PR push. Course the father is an issue.

IMHO, they should be allowed to step up. Their parents' mistakes are not theirs - it would be unfair to exclude them from consideration on this basis.

And let's face it - the BRF kinda needs them. It has now lost three senior members in as many months, will continue to lose more through aging, and won't be able to put the next generation to use for at least twenty years.

I’m not sure what to make of this last announcement. I think that part of their allure was being “Royal “. And they may now find that people are less excited to be affiliated with them. Time will tell but this will be a big change for Harry , in the past it was always the non royal spouse having to get used to living and working with the “firm”. Now it will be a Royal who has to make the adjustments. It will be interesting to see how this plays out

It was said. In the detail. Everything will be in line with the ideals of her majesty. That isnt commercial projects.
Honestly, could you please point out the part that you're referring to? Because I don't see anything like that except that: "While they can no longer formally represent The Queen, the Sussexes have made clear that everything they do will continue to uphold the values of Her Majesty." and I don't know if I would go that far in the interpretation.

This is no where close to the deal they wanted. Per their own website. It’s a loss. And no doubt a financial one. They weren’t volunteering to pay for what they’re now paying for.

They wanted to be out of the U.K. quite a bit of the time. They wanted financial freedom. They got it.

But- really no one was going to stop them from either of those things. HM was not going to force them to live in the UK or keep them from earning money if they wanted to. Which is exactly why the initial statement from HM said those things. She and family was obviously disappointed in their decision, but those weren’t the issues that needed deciding.

The issue was HOW this would work.

I still can’t believe the words “collaborating” with the Queen were on their website.

I am just so horrified that the Queen is having to deal with this at her age and this point in her reign.

There is nothing in the detail to confirm that, in fact the opposite when the RRs are confirming that there will be no checks and balances on Henry and Meghans commercial ventures. The statement says that

"the Sussexes have made clear that everything they do will continue to uphold the values of Her Majesty".

I read that as effectively. No singing for your supper.

Oh my goodness!! They are still referring to themselves as "Their Royal Highnesses" when they can't use that anymore? I am assuming that this was published after the agreement was published today, but I hope I am wrong.

This "new model", no use of HRHs, doesn't take effect until Spring 2020 when the period of transition is over. Until Spring 2020, literally nothing is changing.

Whose going to do the work then? The royal famy have exactly 4 members working that shouldn't be retired?

You'll have to clarify what you mean, but considering the engagements that Henry and Meghan did last year, and the fact they're keeping their patronages for themselves (until we here otherwise) there's not a lot to pick up.

IMHO, they should be allowed to step up. Their parents' mistakes are not theirs - it would be unfair to exclude them from consideration on this basis.

And let's face it - the BRF kinda needs them. It has now lost three senior members in as many months, will continue to lose more through aging, and won't be able to put the next generation to use for at least twenty years.

I agree with this. They aren't their father. In fact they are victims in this.

This "new model", no use of HRHs, doesn't take effect until Spring 2020 when the period of transition is over. Until Spring 2020, literally nothing is changing.

You'll have to clarify what you mean, but considering the engagements that Henry and Meghan did last year, and the fact they're keeping their patronages for themselves (until we here otherwise) there's not a lot to pick up.

Well they should all be retired apart from Sophie, Edward, Kate and William. And there is no one to replace the ones post retirement age who will eventually stop working...unfortunately through either ill health or death. You can't have four working royal in 15 years. Or can you?

I think it is inevitable that Beatrice and Eugenie will in any case be more visible now.

Last edited by a moderator:
From ITV's Chris Ship

@chrisshipitv Note how the very first line from the Queen was: “Following many months of conversations and more recent discussions...” I hear there were many different drafts of that line So who was telling the truth last week when the Royal Family claimed to be ‘blindsided’ by the statement?

Yeah... I am sure more questions will be raised soon enough.

I think if Meghan had been say, a physical therapist coming into the Royal Family with no public experience, the Queen would have insisted on a slow beginning. But Meghan was older, with the background of a public career and seemed eager to jump in, and I think Harry supported that. So the Queen let them.
I do think real life as a spouse in the BRF was not at all what Meghan envisioned.
She absolutely didn’t like being hampered by protocol and hierarchy.

[Bolding mine]
I think this is the crux of it. I think she wanted to be able to direct her own activities, to be the author of her role within the RF. She didn't want everything to be subject o BP's approval. She wanted to highlight her causes on her terms, now that she had this huge platform. She found that her role and her causes were secondary. She didn't know or didn't appreciate that the RF as an institution is bigger than that, and she would have to take her place within it.

There's a big generational divide on this. The younger generation in my family see it as Meghan apparently sees it. To them, Meghan should have been able to do whatever she wanted as DoS, and since she couldn't they see no reason for her to stay.

Imagine announcing your plan of continuing to support The Queen on your own terms to the entire world in what was clearly a long-planned, well-designed, intricate way, only to have her tell you to leave your titles at the door and go represent yourself a week later.

Either this couple really, truly thought they were so immensely popular and indispensable that they could throw down the gauntlet like this and The Queen would still call on them to represent her on overseas tours, in which case they suffer from delusions of grandeur, or they put their "plan" out to the world knowing it had no chance of coming to fruition, in which case you can fill in your own motives. Either way, good riddance to this once very likable couple.

I think the plan of those two was to announce all of this like it was a done deal to force the Royal Family to agree with it or face a negative public reaction . I mean we're talking about two people who thought it was a good idea to give a rather whiny interview about the hardships of their lives, in Africa after having visited charities who deal with impoverished communities

I am just so horrified that the Queen is having to deal with this at her age and this point in her reign.

It’s terribly sad......for everyone. Unfortunately Charles and later William will have to deal with the practical ramifications (they need help), never mind that they are losing their son and brother.

I’m glad at least this didn’t drag out...

No, it mentions HM's statement so it is after it!
They can use HRH when not making moeny, I guess! They did not loose the style!

Does anyone know the authoritative source for the idea it will be revisited in a year. I can only see the reference on twitter but nothing official. Thank you

I think outside of the royal watching bubble most people don’t care what Harry & Meghan are called/considered by the BRF. No one is going to drop Harry & Meghan. They will still bring in contributions due to who they are, not what they are called. They’ve successfully raised money for their patronages. Those patronages would be foolish to cut ties with them.

From ITV's Chris Ship

@chrisshipitv Note how the very first line from the Queen was: “Following many months of conversations and more recent discussions...” I hear there were many different drafts of that line So who was telling the truth last week when the Royal Family claimed to be ‘blindsided’ by the statement?

I don't think there well. They knew. It was the statement that blindsighted them.

I’m not sure what to make of this last announcement. I think that part of their allure was being “Royal “. And they may now find that people are less excited to be affiliated with them. Time will tell but this will be a big change for Harry , in the past it was always the non royal spouse having to get used to living and working with the “firm”. Now it will be a Royal who has to make the adjustments. It will be interesting to see how this plays out

Agreed. Being affiliated with a Royal was part of the allure. Which, of course, is one reason they wanted to keep a foot in the family. I’m sure they knew that.

Harry and Meghan are good looking, charismatic people who can work a room. They certainly have name recognition. Harry being Diana’s son is useful at least in the US. But how much weight any of that will carry- or for how long- is debatable. Especially with Meghan imo.

Well they should all be retired apart from Sophie, Edward, Kate and William. And there is no one to replace the ones post retirement age who will eventually stop working...unfortunately through either ill health or death. Oh can't have four working royal in 15 years. Or can you?

I think it is inevitable that Beatrice and Eugenie will on any case be more visible now.

Retired by whose standard? If you’re going by the legal age of retirement the current monarch, heir to the throne and heirs wife should also not be working. It doesn’t work like that in the RF I’m afraid.

You can’t force retirement on people who enjoy representing The Queen.

From ITV's Chris Ship

Pretty sure nobody from the royal family ever said they were blindsided officially, but it’s nice to see the pot can still be stirred.

Well, now I think I understand why the staffing at Frogmore changed this week. Am I understanding that Harry and Meghan are required to pay back the cost of refurbishing?
That's going to pinch their house hunting fund in NA, or alternately, reduce the money they get from Charles if he decides to cover it himself and withhold the amount from what he might have given them from his own income.

I think this is a both a wakeup call and a lifeline for Harry and his son.

Meghan, I believe is making her own plans right about now.

Wow.

From ITV's Chris Ship

Well Charles by reports had been discussing this with Harry - and I’m sure the Queen knew it. They were blindsided because HM and Charles had asked Harry to not go public with this until a plan had been worked out.

Well they should all be retired apart from Sophie, Edward, Kate and William. And there is no one to replace the ones post retirement age who will eventually stop working...unfortunately through either ill health or death. You can't have four working royal in 15 years. Or can you?

I think it is inevitable that Beatrice and Eugenie will in any case be more visible now.

I do nit think or hope the Yorks will be asked.
Edwards children could be a chance if their parents agreed, but who knows.
I suspect thier upbringing much better than the Yorks.

From ITV's Chris Ship

They were blind sided by the public announcement was my take. Harry and Meghan did that on their own- obviously before anything was worked out. They aren’t stepping back- they are stepping out.

The website had to be an appalling shock - it had no basis in reality. At all.

Which is why they should have shut up. They announced what they wanted and presented it as a done deal. It really is embarrassing.

Last edited:
Well, now I think I understand why the staffing at Frogmore changed this week. Am I understanding that Harry and Meghan are required to pay back the cost of refurbishing?

Henry and Meghan have elected to pay back the £2.4million that was spent to re-do Frogmore. From then on “they” will pay commercial rent on the property.

Does anyone know the authoritative source for the idea it will be revisited in a year. I can only see the reference on twitter but nothing official. Thank you

There isn’t one. Other than Emily Andrews in Twitter and a royal correspondent who was on a conference call with the press briefing from Buckingham Palace.

There's a big generational divide on this. The younger generation in my family see it as Meghan apparently sees it. To them, Meghan should have been able to do whatever she wanted as DoS, and since she couldn't they see no reason for her to stay.

On a job front. Absolutely. You would.leave without notice. But this isnt a job and I dont think she got that. This is a life of public duty and you come.last in that. Of course there are compensations. Many.

I do nit think or hope the Yorks will be asked.
Edwards children could be a chance if their parents agreed, but who knows.
I suspect thier upbringing much better than the Yorks.

Whatever you thing of their parents
The York daughters have done very well for themselves. In fact in our house when we see them I reviewed we often say. How did those parents produce those girls.

Louise and James don't have royal titles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom