The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t see this is a loss for the Sussexes. Neither seem concerned about status. They get to keep their home. They get to make their own money and live in NA when not visiting the U.K.

This is no where close to the deal they wanted. Per their own website. It’s a loss. And no doubt a financial one. They weren’t volunteering to pay for what they’re now paying for.

They wanted to be out of the U.K. quite a bit of the time. They wanted financial freedom. They got it.

But- really no one was going to stop them from either of those things. HM was not going to force them to live in the UK or keep them from earning money if they wanted to. Which is exactly why the initial statement from HM said those things. She and family was obviously disappointed in their decision, but those weren’t the issues that needed deciding.

The issue was HOW this would work.

I still can’t believe the words “collaborating” with the Queen were on their website.

Reactions: Fem
Unless Henry and Meghan request it, I don't think they will ever lose their HRH. The Queen and Charles just simply wouldn't do it. I think this period until next year is to see if they actually like the situation they've landed themselves in. If they don't, they reverse the clock. :ermm:

You might be right. It is clearly a test run of sorts. They letting them do what they want but leaving the door open. I guess we shall see how it all plays out.

So Harry and Meghan invest in whatever commercial ventures they like......even if they damage the monarchy, which I'm sure they will. I guess the Queen is willing to take the chance...

No read the statement. Thry can't do that. Part of being in line with the royal family is to not promote or take freebies from any company to promote them.

I also found it interesting she acknowledged the scrutiny. Didn't expect that.

I don't think so either. It seems it came down to them wanting to live outside the UK and explore work outside the royal bubble or be senior royals.

They made their choice. Though I am surprised by the whole "revisit in a year" and they are still doing engagements (even if minimum) for the next weeks.

Oh well. It is finally done. I would imagine this time next year they will officially remove the HRH would be my guess.

Please read the official ial Statement, says nothing about being revisited....

They actually wrote “Their Royal Highnesses”?
Someone didn’t read the Queen’s entire statement!

I imagine their foundation and website will be getting renamed.

This "new model", no use of HRHs, doesn't take effect until Spring 2020 when the period of transition is over. :flowers:

It's still not clear how they can live in Canada, or anywhere else, without the appropriate residency status.

Interesting. Basically their website is garbage. So they basically got nothing they wanted. Maybe security. And a hybrid went to being nothing at all. No collaboration at all. A lot of these charities won't want them anymore either as the whole point of having a royal patron is the money and publicity that go with it. Which after the I detest has died down will be nothing at all. The Invistus Games will the be one who will want to keep him.

I read that would keep their personal patronages. What are those? Will Meghan keep the theater patronage?

Please read the official ial Statement, says nothing about being revisited....

Actually I just heard Keir Simmons in NBC, who was in the Conference Call with Buckjngham Palace, definitely say that it would be revisited in one year.

You want it, you get it. They had to be consequent, otherwise it would have damaged the monarchy even more. But we will see how this works out in mon the to come. This is only the beginning.

I read that would keep their personal patronages. What are those? Will Meghan keep the theater patronage?
Do you really think they will want her? I mean, it is a bad PR, especially now, but they went from (having as a patron) Her Majesty the Queen to Meghan, Duchess of Sussex. I think there might be quite a few patronages that will drop Harry and Meghan. There is a certain... status, let's say, to the royal part and they no longer can use that.

Also is anyone else confused by the (reported) future titles: Henry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex? It goes against so many rules ?

So for Henry it's quite a long list. For Meghan it's the following:

-Association of Commonwealth Universities, Patron
-Mayhew, Patron
-The National Theatre, Royal Patron
-The Queen's Commonwealth Trust, Vice President
-Sussex Royal - The Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Founder Patron
-Smart Works, Royal Patron

I know it shouldn't feel that way since Harry can still visit, but it feels like father/son/brother won't see each other very often - that breaks my heart.

Probably not. But that was pretty clear imo from the moment they made the announcement. It seemed clear to me most of their time would be in North America regardless. They moved their dogs there. Archie stayed there. Meghan sure didn’t seem to have much desire to be in the U.K.

William and Harry may not want to see much of each other frankly .

Last edited by a moderator:
No read the statement. Thry can't do that. Part of being in line with the royal family is to not promote or take freebies from any company to promote them.

There are other ways to damage the monarchy than taking handouts....I guess it depends on what ventures they choose.

I'm very glad they won't be using HRH and I'm glad Harry had to give up his military titles. I hope they are happy wherever they settle, but their happiness came at great personal cost to their family. I hope that Harry and William will settle their differences, I hope that father and sons will have time together before they are separated permanently (of course they'll see each other, but its' NOT the same)......I don't mean in official engagements, I mean private time.

Actually, there's absolutely nothing in the statement about that. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was mentioned to them privately during these meetings.

It's still not clear how they can live in Canada, or anywhere else, without the appropriate residency status.

They are probably going to move to the USA soon . Meghan and Archie are citizens and Harry is her husband .

So what does this mean for Eugenie and Beatrice? I can see them quietly taking up more duties. And I can see them going all out for her wedding now. Big PR push. Course the father is an issue.

Also is anyone else confused by the (reported) future titles: Henry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex? It goes against so many rules ?

Yes and No, I thought that and have asked for clarification from RRs. However The Duke of Windsor was officially The Duke of Windsor, but known as Edward, Duke of Windsor.

Seems this was the best solutions overall. Though that first engagement is bound to be interesting, My guess it will be Commonwealth Day. Probably just wanted everyone around for it.

Actually, there's absolutely nothing in the statement about that. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was mentioned to them privately during these meetings.

It was said. In the detail. Everything will be in line with the ideals of her majesty. That isnt commercial projects.

They have update their website with the following message;

Oh my goodness!! They are still referring to themselves as "Their Royal Highnesses" when they can't use that anymore? I am assuming that this was published after the agreement was published today, but I hope I am wrong.

Probably not. But that was pretty clear imo from the moment they made the announcement. It seemed clear to me most of their time would be in North America regardless. They moved their dogs there. Archie stayed there. Meghan sure didn’t seem to have much desire to be in the U.K.

William and Harry may not want to see much of each other frankly .

Of course families all over the world are separated, it doesn't mean they don't love each other - it is sad, though, and yes - I knew that would be the case. Unlike other families, Charles (or anyone else) won't be popping up to stay with the kids for a spell - so really the only time that Harry will see his papa or other extended family will be on the rare occasions he pops up in the UK.

I'm hoping that the brothers can mend this rift before Harry goes. I'm sure Charles has tried, I hope he tries again even if they don't listen to him in general, lol

On another note, I wonder how popular H and M will be now that they've given up the HRH and other Royal "benefits".....

Imagine announcing your plan of continuing to support The Queen on your own terms to the entire world in what was clearly a long-planned, well-designed, intricate way, only to have her tell you to leave your titles at the door and go represent yourself a week later.

Either this couple really, truly thought they were so immensely popular and indispensable that they could throw down the gauntlet like this and The Queen would still call on them to represent her on overseas tours, in which case they suffer from delusions of grandeur, or they put their "plan" out to the world knowing it had no chance of coming to fruition, in which case you can fill in your own motives. Either way, good riddance to this once very likable couple.

HM says she is proud of Meghan, I think she really ries to cheer these two up though the ties are now officially cut concerning the work. I hope the family finds a way.

So what does this mean for Eugenie and Beatrice? I can see them quietly taking up more duties. And I can see them going all out for her wedding now. Big PR push. Course the father is an issue.

I see the exact opposite, I don't see any changes for Beatrice and Eugenie and an all out wedding would be a massive PR mistake. We may have been fixated on Meghan and Henry for the last couple of weeks, but it only takes a change of the news cycle to bring Andrew back to the forefront.

I think people knew and understood - well, most of them did - that this website was Harry and Meghan's wishlist. Now we see how much of it they got to keep and it's not much.

They don't get to be part-time royals while they're making their personal fortune elsewhere. It was a bad idea when Sophie and Edward did it, and I don't doubt it wouldn't go well now too. The whole idea of collaborating with HMQ was awful. God awful. I don't think I will forget that sentence, it'll be in my mind until I die. So disrespectful.

I'm surprised that Harry lost his military titles, that had to hurt him, especially since we all know how invested he was in that part of his life. It's also interesting how the statement said "North America" and not "Canada" - I wonder if they won't settle in the US after all.

I wonder if that is partly to try and wake him up to what he is doing.

Let's be real. The notion of revisiting this arrangement in a year is clearly there so that if the Sussexes find that they aren't quite as successful being out on their own as they think they will be then they can come back and be working royals. It's a tradeoff. I think Harry will find that he's gotten what he wishes in a life of privacy and little media interest. Will this satisfy Meghan? Or will she decide that she wants the media spotlight that comes from being a senior working royal?

Certainly their diehard fans will stick by them through thick and thin but much of the Meghan Effect and the recent Archie effect phenomena will die off quite soon, I expect, now that the Sussexes are, essentially, private citizens.

I am not British, but I think there would be an outcry by the British public if she tried to do this. She and Harry have proven they cannot be trusted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see the exact opposite, I don't see any changes for Beatrice and Eugenie and an all out wedding would be a massive PR mistake. We may have been fixated on Meghan and Henry for the last couple of weeks, but it only takes a change of the news cycle to bring Andrew back to the forefront.

Whose going to do the work then? The royal famy have exactly 4 members working that shouldn't be retired?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom