The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was really surprised to see that. Shocked. I think that’s a first- or close to a first- from any of William and Harry’s close friends. And she’s been friends with both of them.

That she removed it from Instagram quickly may well speak to the fact she realized it was a bad idea. But- she made her feelings clear.

Is it just me- or did it seem slightly more aimed at Meghan? The part about yoga seemed so directed at her. It was kind of generic until that jab.

If you look at her Instagram, she is really, really into yoga. So I don't think that was a jab at Meghan.

I agree. Meghan has been a rule breaker from the time she was a kid, writing in to get that commercial changed,....and GOOD for her, that was awesome ! However, no one asked her to modernize the monarchy - and anyway, the Queen has done that pretty well, I think. She got rid of that ludicrous primogeniture “law”, the Royals now are internet savvy, etc..Nothing that Meghan can do, IMO, can top the first thing - that’s literally changing one thousand years of history.

Meghan wants to be a force for good, and that’s great, but as a member of the BRF, she’s got to do it while “playing the game” - and she wasn’t interested in doing that. Prince Philip must have really loved Princess Elizabeth if he gave up everything for her - and of course, he did. He didn’t just give up his Naval career, he’s had to spend his life walking behind his wife. Many people in this family have given up many things. George VI had kingship thrust upon him, which ultimately shortened his life. Actually he’s a perfect example for Harry - poor Bertie wasn’t temperamentally suited for such a public role, but his own natural decency and goodness were aided immensely by his wonderful family life. Queen Elizabeth (not yet the Queen Mother, of course) was firmly behind him, supported him, was strong when he needed her to be. Of course he had his darling little girls ...Harry isn’t even at all a similar position to Bertie; he doesn’t have any of the responsibilities and pressures. Yet, a stable family life could have helped him immeasurably....if he’d given it a chance.

More in those who sacrificed - his own parents. Now if they hadn’t, we wouldn’t have William and Harry, but Charles and Diana knew they weren’t suited for each other, but they married anyway because it was expected of them. Their search for happiness ended up in pain and upheaval that no one wanted. I could go on, but my point has been made. Given the sacrifices so many have made, why couldn’t he truly give this a go? Why couldn’t he have privately asked for maybe a few less engagements if that’s what he needed? His father and grandmother would have listened, as they have done now, and tried to make it work. Instead, Harry and Meghan just did what they wanted, and didn’t give a darn about anyone else

I'm not disagreeing with your general post, but how is writing in about a commercial "rule-breaking"? I ask because "rule-breaking" is a serious symptom and is a strong claim.

I too don't think it's the engagements/workload. Until this week, I hadn't realized just how hard the tabloid media in UK has been on Meghan - and the comments! Both on media forums and here! Wowsa. Boy, are the people who write as if they are UK citizens..judgmental as all get out.

In short, I don't think Meghan is randomly "cutting people out," she's trying to escape an ugly situation. TBF, she is old enough to find another way of handling it, but it is her choice. I do know that I do not appreciate lame comments from randos in my own line of work (teaching) and have a mental "ignore" button when students get too nosey or personal. Meghan is used to judging her work by audience reaction, and it is hard to change one's basic approach to life. I'd want to quit too, if I were her.

I still can't help but be struck by how much more relaxed Harry has seemed over the last three years when Meghan hasn't been with him. On engagements he's done alone he seemed much more relaxed than on joint engagements. I was particularly struck by how relaxed and happy he seemed at the Anzac Day service that he attended last spring with Kate. Even at Lady Gabriella's wedding he seemed quite relaxed and happy. For me it's a stark contrast to the engagements when they've been together and he's appeared tense, moody, unsmiling, and stressed, especially at the last Trooping but that's certainly not the only time. There's an article making the tabloid rounds this morning about Harry being out for dinner and drinks last night with his friends and how he was laughing and joking and seemed just like any other guy out with friends. It's a tabloid article so who knows whether it's true or not but if it is, it just speaks to how much more relaxed he appears to be when they aren't together.

But I thought he didn't have any friends anymore? I think Harry looks very at ease on engagements with his wife as well. He only really seems tense around some media and that is solo or with someone else.

Personally I think people reading into things and seeing what they want to see.

As for the press being the reason they want out. I seriously doubt it. Are they annoyed by their coverage at times? Of course. Their lawsuits prove that but I doubt that was the end all and be all. Clearly there is way more going on than that.

Last edited:
They will no longer use their HRH titles.

The official statement from HM The Queen.

BREAKING: Deal is done��
Harry & Meghan to stop using HRH title but will retain them.
They will REPAY £2.4m refurbishment of Frogmore Cottage and pay rent/running costs.
They will spend MAJORITY of their time in North America NOT the UK.
Queen thanks them for their dedicated work

Harry & Meghan will REMAIN members of the Royal Family.
But they will STEP BACK from royal duties including Harry’s MILITARY titles
All changes to take effect in the Spring.
Harry will remain a Prince.

There will be no more tours.
But there will be further royal engagements before the "exit plan" takes places in the Spring of 2020.

Last edited:
Basically their hybrid model was rejected. Not surprised.

And it is officially. Not stripped of HRH but will not use them. No longer working royals. No tours. No nothing. The will pay back tax payer money for Frogmore (sounds like they will keep it) and will mostly live in Canada/US and will be allowed to do their commercial work.

They are also still President and Vice President of the QCT.

And it is officially. Not stripped of HRH but will not use them. No longer working royals. No tours. No nothing. The will pay back tax payer money for Frogmore (sounds like they will keep it) and will mostly live in Canada/US and will be allowed to do their commercial work.

probably so Harry can come back to the fold after a potential divorce in the future .

https://www.royal.uk/statement-her-majesty-queen-0

Here are the statements from HM and the Sussexes.

Damn. I did not expect to see them stop using their HRHs. This is pretty much the Duke of Windsor treatment. Pretty clear they won't be able to monetize their royal status.

It makes sense to me. They still have them- because stripping them of them is a pain, bad PR, and Harry was born with it, but using them commercially opens too many doors.

They shouldn’t be able to monetize their royal status.

Last edited:
One wonders why no outright removal of the titles. Is there perhaps an expectation and hope of bringing at least Harry back into the fold at some later date?

Emily Nash is reporting that they will be known as Henry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex. I don't believe this is correct as their peerage is standalone..

One wonders why no outright removal of the titles. Is there perhaps an expectation and hope of bringing at least Harry back into the fold at some later date?

Even The Duke of Windsor wasn't stripped of his, it's Henry's birthright.

Basically their hybrid model was rejected. Not surprised.

No surprise at all. They gave no thought to the reality of their plan.

And with this- they are really no help to anyone.

Interesting. Basically their website is garbage. So they basically got nothing they wanted. Maybe security. And a hybrid went to being nothing at all. No collaboration at all. A lot of these charities won't want them anymore either as the whole point of having a royal patron is the money and publicity that go with it. Which after the I detest has died down will be nothing at all. The Invistus Games will the be one who will want to keep him.

This broke on CNN. HRH gone and I'm surprised Harry lost because he was born royal. How about the succession? Are Harry and Archie out ?

No mention of how they plan to legally reside in Canada, but I suppose that was never something for HM to work out - it's something for H+M and their lawyers to handle instead...

Again, the personal statement from The Queen echoes how much this has hurt the royal family, and for me evident that they were blindsided by the whole thing. They way she talks of her grandson and his wife, specifically mentioning how she has become part of the family, shows they were wanted and needed. This is the worst betrayal for me.

The fact that Henry is effectively stripped of his military appointments, is again quite severe for me. Considering his links to the army, I don't think he was expecting that and I think it's going to hurt him deeply.

Debate around, as they're no longer royals, can they use Sussex Royal or are they going to have to rebrand? I would assume so.

The Sussexes will continue to maintain their private patronages and associations

According to Rebecca English, but I see a couple if not most, wanting to drop them. :whistling:

Emily Nash is reporting that they will be known as Henry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex. I don't believe this is correct as their peerage is standalone..

Even The Duke of Windsor wasn't stripped of his, it's Henry's birthright.

Maybe they're considered "divorced" from the BRF? Shouldn't they be simply His Grace The Duke of Sussex and Her Grace The Duchess of Sussex? Who knows, at this point, really, since they haven't been stripped of their HRH, they just agreed to not use them, so HGs wouldn't be correct either.

This broke on CNN. HRH gone and I'm surprised Harry lost because he was born royal. How about the succession? Are Harry and Archie out ?

He is not losing his HRH - he has just agreed to not use it.

And this will not impact the succession at all - he and Archie are still very much in it.

HRH not gone, he just won't use it. He's now Henry, Duke of Sussex apparently.

They're still in the line of succession.

This new arrangement for the Sussexes will start in the spring when they launch their new foundation. Until then they WILL do more royal engagements and Meghan will return to ����...BUT in a year’s time the whole thing will be reviewed by Queen, Charles and William

So they basically giving them a year to test run this and then what... if they good they can keep going but if they want back in then they can return? Is this why they not being stripped of their titles. For the "just in case."

Also Meghan and Harry will continue doing engagements until the spring.

Interesting. Basically their website is garbage. So they basically got nothing they wanted. Maybe security. And a hybrid went to being nothing at all. No collaboration at all. A lot of these charities won't want them anymore either as the whole point of having a royal patron is the money and publicity that go with it. Which after the I detest has died down will be nothing at all. The Invistus Games will the be one who will want to keep him.

Yep. The website was- not surprisingly- worthless.

They should have kept their mouths shut until the deal was done. If it was an attempt to get what they wanted- it certainly failed.

Is the 'Henry, Duke of Sussex' format perhaps to help remind people who the title actually refers to? A lot of people outside the UK who are not familiar with British peerages might not twig when they see 'HG The Duke of Sussex' that it means Harry...

Removing them from the line of succession would require legislation in multiple countries. Even if it was going to happen (I very much doubt it) it couldn't just be announced in a statement.

Well, time to clean up SussexRoyal.com as there are quite a few "HRH" to be struck....not to mention an entire "Serving the Monarchy" section.

How embarrassing.

I imagine the option of losing the HRH permanently is there if there is too much “Royal” in any activities.

This statement is even more extraordinary than the last one. The spoonful of sugar in the name and voice of the Queen, then the medicine simply from "Buckingham Palace."

Just heard the news that they will relinquish their HRH and repay for renovations to Frogmore! Good! Either one deserves an HRH!!

This new arrangement for the Sussexes will start in the spring when they launch their new foundation. Until then they WILL do more royal engagements and Meghan will return to ����...BUT in a year’s time the whole thing will be reviewed by Queen, Charles and William

So they basically giving them a year to test run this and then what... if they good they can keep going but if they want back in then they can return? Is this why they not being stripped of their titles. For the "just in case."

Also Meghan and Harry will continue doing engagements until the spring.

Spring is only 2 months away. I don’t forsee many, if any engagements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom